PDA

View Full Version : Incident

Le Français
11-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Something happened a few hours ago that I think you might find interesting.

I was walking through my neighborhood after dark, and as I headed home I became aware of an altercation further down the street. The first sign of trouble was the sound of two people screaming at each other, and as I approached I saw a man chasing another who was screaming something akin to "Oh, you're gonna tase me?!" He sounded frightened, but combative at the same time. I heard the distinctive crackle of a stun gun, and I saw the blue light flash.

These two clowns were now about fifty meters north of my driveway, and I was about the same distance south of it. As I quickened my pace (not running in order to avoid unwanted attention), the stun gunner stopped chasing the other guy and came running towards me, yelling unintelligibly. Yellow having turned to bright orange, I gripped my holstered pocket pistol (but did not draw) and continued to walk forward, towards my house. I arrived at one corner of my front yard just as the BG arrived at the driveway on the other side of the house. After glancing at me, he turned and ran up the driveway towards the garage. Knowing that several of my loved ones were inside the house, I was about to run into the yard and intercept him when he ran back down the driveway, onto the sidewalk and headed straight for me again. I was still on the sidewalk at this point. I stepped onto the street to give myself some room, and brought my LX2 (awesome flashlight) to chest level. He was still several meters away when he turned yet again and walked quickly into my yard towards the side door. (Little did he know that on the other side of the door, capable hands were gripping a Glock 17, ready to repel boarders.)

I could see a black object in his hand, and, still gripping my pistol, I lit him up with the Surefire and loudly asked him what he was doing, also informing him that this was my property. He immediately turned towards me and away from the house, eyes downcast, and said "I'm sorry, man, I'm really sorry. I didn't know this was your property, I'm really sorry. I'm just looking for a stick. Sorry man." As he spoke, he walked down the street, eyes averted (the two hundred lumens on his face might have had something to do with that).

Three police cars arrived as I got in the house, and as far as I could tell the officers spoke with the man who had been chased earlier and ultimately took the BG into custody without issues.

Now, what a narrative like this fails to convey is the rapidity at which these events unfolded. It was all over very quickly. I do think, however, that I could have done a better job of placing myself between the house and the potential threat. This would have served a dual purpose. First, it would have permitted a fast and unhindered retreat towards heavier weapons, and second, it would have ensured that my house did not catch any of my bullets if I were forced to fire.

Feel free to comment and criticize at will.

fuse
11-13-2011, 12:18 AM
You know, seems like the only possible advantage of pocket sized pistols is the ability to get a hand on on the gun without drawing or exposing the gun.

Al T.
11-13-2011, 10:49 AM
(the two hundred lumens on his face might have had something to do with that)

Good of you to have the flashlight. Sure makes controlling the situation and assessing the BG easier. :)

Sounds to me like you did what you could and it turned out well. Just a thought, may have been better to remain unwinded and ready than to have raced the guy to the house.

Zhurdan
11-14-2011, 10:07 AM
I carry a Surefire E1L Outdoorsman every day and I can say that it is by far, the most used piece of gear that I carry. Not just in defensive situations, but just in overall usefulness. It can change things from a "holy crap it's kinda dark and feels unsafe" to "no big deal, I can see what I need to see" quick, fast and in a hurry.

Haven't had to use it on any two legged bad guys when the gun might be needed, but the first time you run across a bobcat in a place where it shouldn't be, it works nicely to know exactly what you're dealing with and GTFO of there.

Also, I work part time at a bar (for ammo monies, hehe) and it has brought stupid drunk people to an immediate stop when they get belligerent. I don't know if the just are stunned by the brightness, or if somewhere deep down, they associate bright lights with the police or something. The nice thing about the E1L is that it's small enough to go completely unnoticed in your hand.

NickA
11-14-2011, 11:17 AM
I don't know if the just are stunned by the brightness, or if somewhere deep down, they associate bright lights with the police or something.
I thought this was an excellent point that was brought up in the Farnam class I took. Who shines a bright light in your face and speaks with authority? Cops. It helped convince me to always carry a light.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

phidelta308
11-14-2011, 04:05 PM
I carry a surefire 6p with a 235 Lumen Malkoff Devices LED installed. I don't put a lot of stock in the "blind your oppenent" idea. The one time I had to diffuse a bad situation with a drunk where I tend bar, the flashlight didn't even phase him. I mean, it was maybe 3 feet from his eyeballs, and his pupils didn't even budge. He was so wasted (came in that way, seemed fine, then the booze caught up all at once; I never served him), the flashlight had no effect. Unfortunately, my other options were going hands on, or pulling a knife. Another customer helped me go hands on, and we ejected him from the bar.

Flashlights are incredibly useful (I use mine all the time!). And I'm sure they can be useful in dealing with bad guys, but they aren't a magic wand that will make them freeze in their tracks.

Le Français
11-14-2011, 07:08 PM
I carry a surefire 6p with a 235 Lumen Malkoff Devices LED installed. I don't put a lot of stock in the "blind your oppenent" idea. The one time I had to diffuse a bad situation with a drunk where I tend bar, the flashlight didn't even phase him. I mean, it was maybe 3 feet from his eyeballs, and his pupils didn't even budge. He was so wasted (came in that way, seemed fine, then the booze caught up all at once; I never served him), the flashlight had no effect. Unfortunately, my other options were going hands on, or pulling a knife. Another customer helped me go hands on, and we ejected him from the bar.

Flashlights are incredibly useful (I use mine all the time!). And I'm sure they can be useful in dealing with bad guys, but they aren't a magic wand that will make them freeze in their tracks.

In the context of self defense, my flashlights serve two roles: illuminate dark places and identify those who lurk therein. The more important of those is threat ID. If the beam "blinds" a bad guy, that's a nice bonus, but I neither expect it nor count on it.

Le Français
11-14-2011, 07:14 PM
You know, seems like the only possible advantage of pocket sized pistols is the ability to get a hand on the gun without drawing or exposing the gun.

Other advantages include better concealment (in many cases) and smaller size/lighter weight, but pocket guns are rarely the best choice, IMO. I usually carry a full size 9mm AIWB.

Zhurdan
11-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Please don't get me wrong here... a flashlight isn't the end all be all, but it can give you distance in some situations, and distance is your friend when unable to carry.

David Armstrong
11-15-2011, 10:41 AM
You know, seems like the only possible advantage of pocket sized pistols is the ability to get a hand on on the gun without drawing or exposing the gun.
Le Francais beat me to it, but if that is the only possible advantage one can think of I would suggest there is a gap in the knowledge base.

Shellback
11-15-2011, 02:34 PM
I do think, however, that I could have done a better job of placing myself between the house and the potential threat. This would have served a dual purpose. First, it would have permitted a fast and unhindered retreat towards heavier weapons, and second, it would have ensured that my house did not catch any of my bullets if I were forced to fire.

Just a quick thought and I'm not saying you're wrong... I completely understand your reasoning behind your thought process but by defending your castle without the immediate threat of it being invaded you also reveal where you live. People who get thrown in jail are often vindictive little buggers when they get out. Again, I'm not saying your wrong but it is something to think about.

Le Français
11-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Just a quick thought and I'm not saying you're wrong... I completely understand your reasoning behind your thought process but by defending your castle without the immediate threat of it being invaded you also reveal where you live. People who get thrown in jail are often vindictive little buggers when they get out. Again, I'm not saying your wrong but it is something to think about.

It's a good point, and I agree. However, as I mentioned in the original post, I told the guy it was my property during the incident. Perhaps that was a mistake.

Update: Yesterday (two days after the incident), I spotted the guy. He was standing on the front porch of the house in front of which the original foot chase took place, and he was watching me and my family members as we entered and exited our home. When I drove up to the stop sign right across the street from him, he slunk back inside. So, I guess either the police never took him away, or he was only in custody for a very short time.

CCK
11-15-2011, 10:48 PM
It's a good point, and I agree. However, as I mentioned in the original post, I told the guy it was my property during the incident. Perhaps that was a mistake.

Update: Yesterday (two days after the incident), I spotted the guy. He was standing on the front porch of the house in front of which the original foot chase took place, and he was watching me and my family members as we entered and exited our home. When I drove up to the stop sign right across the street from him, he slunk back inside. So, I guess either the police never took him away, or he was only in custody for a very short time.

Well this is beautiful...