PDA

View Full Version : Center of mass in car safe. Anyone use these?

mscott327
11-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Anyone use these? 2 for $45 keyed alike looks like a good deal.
I just ordered the two mediums keyed alike. One for me and one for the wife. We will use them only when we can't legally carry (church or kids school)
http://www.center-of-mass.com/

Here is a review from lildobe on PAFOA Forum
So I needed a "hard sided, locking case" to secure my weapon in while I traveled by air this holiday season, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and get one of these "safes"

For the record, I ordered one of the Large variety. It arrived in three days after I placed the order (!)

The first thing that I appreciated when I first unpacked it was it's weight. Empty, it weighs nearly 2 lbs.

It is constructed of 21 Gauge steel (1mm thick) with 14 gauge (2mm thick) reinforcing plates welded to the sides of the bottom half. There are two bolt holes in the bottom to facilitate hard-mounting. The lock and cable anchor is also constructed of stamped 19 gauge steel, welded to the bottom and side in 5 places. The lock is a 12-pin, double sided security lock. The lock's catch is 14-gauge steel. The hinge is a 16-segment "piano hinge" secured with a 12 gauge wire pin and spot welded in a total of 10 places. Everything but the lock is powder coated.

Overall construction is very well done.

It is lined with 3/8th-inch, medium-density, closed-cell foam pads on both top and bottom. The pads are easily removed.

I had been a little concerned with the cable, used for temporally securing the 'safe', for example, to the seat rail in your car or to the frame of a bed.

The cable itself is multi-stranded braided steel cable 4mm thick and vinyl coated, with loops crimped on both ends. One end attaches to the anchor and locking mechanism of the 'safe' and passed through a notch in the side. The other end is wrapped around any solid object.

While it COULD be cut fairly easily with heavy-duty wire cutters, in and of itself it's very sturdy. To test it, I attached it to the 'safe' and around a beam in the basement of my house. I gave it several vicious tugs and didn't notice any deformation of the safe or cable. This really surprised me.

So far I'm extremely happy with the In Car Gun Safe. I'll call it a "recommended" buy, and I plan to purchase several others for various uses.

JDM
11-12-2011, 09:48 PM
I had a COM unit for 3 years and was pleased with it's durability. The vinyl coating on the cable quickly wears away but the cable generally remains intact.

I now use a similar model from Gunvault with a 3 dial combination lock. I bought a new car and wanted a new lock box, and these were available locally.

Better than the glove box, to be certain.

dookie1481
11-13-2011, 01:15 AM
I've used one for a couple of years. The only real complaint that I have is that the lock can get jammed and become difficult to open if you put the slide to close to the lock. Otherwise it serves its' intended purpose.

SamuelBLong
11-16-2011, 02:32 AM
This is a security analysis of the popular gun lock boxes on the market.. well worth watching... actually has some analysis of the products sold by center of mass

I think you'll see that theyre not much better than your glovebox lock.

http://vimeo.com/31177302