PDA

View Full Version : Misc. Observations from yesterday's match.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-29-2016, 11:13 AM
Finally got out after rain and avoiding some because of heat. Shot my stock Gen 4 G17 with WWB. Gun ran well except for one double feed. Luckily, I'm relatively good at jams, so not a problem except for time. Five stages and 0,0,2,3, and 4 points down. The 4 was on interesting stage where you had to shoot it strong hand only while carrying an innocent (which was just a target with a happy face) but if forced you to shoot one handed. Time - bah- I am a slow old fart.

Things I saw - a friend had a new Sig 1911 Scorpion. It was a horror and slide locked on almost every shot turning it into a single shot pistol. Ammo, mag, gun, user? TBD. The shooter is experienced so there was some debate on grip but I don't think so.

Do reloading? One guy does and squibbed twice. Had to quit as didn't trust the ammo.

Let's run down the barricade to the next firing point? I know that saves time - except when you have to move out and catch your foot on the support of the barricade and go ass over tea kettle. Guy said when he started to tumble he deliberately let loose of the gun to avoid a spasmodic bang. Still was DQ'ed. An interesting question, if I were in a hall way, would I charge down it or move more deliberately. Bad habit?

Fun was had by all. Saw a Sig P2XX something, jam up a bit. Everything jams. Makes me laugh when I read some other forum where guys say their gun is totally reliable and they never saw a semi jam.

Luke
08-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Sounds like you had fun. Still not sure what running down a hallway had to do with gaming.

Also, too few points down, need to go faster man!

Glenn E. Meyer
08-29-2016, 12:54 PM
My comment on running was that when folks get to the end, since we know where the targets are - there isn't a deliberating pieing of the corner. You get there and stick out the gun visibly rather than a sedate look for unknowns. But it's still fun.

Need to go faster - I have warp limit on my drives and stay within it. We actually discussed the accuracy vs. get some reasonable at speed hit meme.

45dotACP
08-29-2016, 11:33 PM
My comment on running was that when folks get to the end, since we know where the targets are - there isn't a deliberating pieing of the corner. You get there and stick out the gun visibly rather than a sedate look for unknowns. But it's still fun.

Need to go faster - I have warp limit on my drives and stay within it. We actually discussed the accuracy vs. get some reasonable at speed hit meme.

Sounds like it still beats a day at work :D

I have the reverse issue...I go cyclic on most wide open targets and could probably afford to slow down a touch....seeing as when I do I can hold the IDPA headbox at the longest range IDPA allows.

Jim Watson
08-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Grr. I pulled a SHO shot into hard cover and did not call + makeup. Else I would have been Most Accurate. Which at my age and rate of travel/fire is about my only opportunity to medal.

A shooter kaBoomed his Glock 20 with a double charge. Lots of room in that case for overloads of fast target powder. Barrel and slide undamaged, receiver marred but not broken. $50 in small parts will put it back in action... after he pulls the remaining 94 rounds out of that box.

That Guy
08-30-2016, 10:15 PM
Grr. I pulled a SHO shot into hard cover and did not call + makeup. Else I would have been Most Accurate. Which at my age and rate of travel/fire is about my only opportunity to medal.

That happens to me in every. Single. Friggin. Match. I'm always one screw up away from Most Accurate. And I never shoot a match where I don't make that one screw up.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

olstyn
08-30-2016, 10:27 PM
Do reloading? One guy does and squibbed twice. Had to quit as didn't trust the ammo.

Yeah, if a person has created several squib rounds, I imagine their confidence would be shaken. It means there's something wrong with their process and/or they're being careless when they load. If the former, address the problem and drive on. If the latter, well, perhaps reloading is not for them.