PDA

View Full Version : 38 Special plated HBWC vs. LHBWC load data?

Imaposer2
08-27-2016, 06:49 PM
Hello,

This is probably a stupid question but I'd rather ask a dumb question than make a dumb assumption...

Been out of loading for a while and recently started getting back into it...

Years ago I loaded quite a few 38 Special using, according to my notebook, 148gr LHBWC over 2.3gr of Clays. Looking through my load manuals I didn't see this load listed so I'm not sure where I got it way back when. So, today I checked Hodgdon's online data and found that, sure enough, they list a starting load of 2.3gr and a max load of 2.5gr. Never had an issue with this load but recently while shooting at an indoor range with granite counter tops, I did discover quite a bit of unburned granules on the counter after shooting some of these. I don't get the soot I used to get with Bullseye, but I am getting some unburned powder. Maybe this load is too light? Once I've used up all my Clays I'm planning to switch to HP-38 and see how it does. Any input on how to get a cleaner load with less unburned powder would be appreciated.

Anyway, back to my real question... Recently while going through my component stash I ran across 500 copper plated HBWCs that I didn't know I had.

I'm getting low on my plain lead HBWCs and plan to order some coated ones from Bayou Bullets next go round. I know that the coated ones should be loaded like conventional LHBWCs. But, I'd like to use these plated ones up first and I'm not sure about how to load them...

Can anyone offer any advice on loading these plated HBWCs?

Welder
08-28-2016, 08:16 AM
I can only say that plated bullet manufacturers commonly suggest you use lead bullet data when reloading plated bullets. However, I don't have experience with the specific bullets you are asking about.

Hambo
08-28-2016, 08:44 AM
I've loaded a lot of them using cast WC data for WST and TiteGroup. I even loaded some with the HB forward because Jim Cirillo.

SWAT Lt.
08-28-2016, 10:03 AM
I believe there is information on Berry's bullets web site stating one should load their plated HBWC bullets to a minimum of 800 fps, a bit hotter than lead. Check out Berry's Manufacturing web site and click on their .38 plated HBWC bullet, the info is in the description.