PDA

View Full Version : HiTS Revolver Super Test

Dagga Boy
08-22-2016, 09:29 PM
Wayne and I came up with the "Super Test" and Advanced Super Test for semi autos awhile ago and find it to be a great shooting drill. We modified it for Revolvers.

1. 15 yards, 6 rounds 12 seconds.
2. 10 yards, 6 rounds 8 seconds.
3. 5 yards, 6 rounds 4 seconds.

Advanced version is same times from the holster. We score it by the rings on a B8 Bull. 162 out of 180 to pass. We shot it last Tuesday with Wayne's model 15 (179, that would have been a 180 with a small turn of elevation in the rear sight), and I shot a 180 with my Model 14. I currently shoot the Model 14 better than anything else. It's a fun drill that is a good fundamentals test.

Totem Polar
08-22-2016, 09:40 PM
I'll give this a try with the Sand Burr/Denny Reichard NY-1 next time out.

Lon
08-22-2016, 09:42 PM
Nice. I'll have to give this a try with mine. I thought 14s had different front sights?

Dagga Boy
08-22-2016, 09:59 PM
Nice. I'll have to give this a try with mine. I thought 14s had different front sights?

Mine is a Hanen Special. They were made in a small run in 1965 (my birth year conveniently). Most 14's are 6" with a partridge sight. The barrels are really heavy on this particular run of them.

Dagga Boy
08-23-2016, 07:14 AM
Had some requests for the Super Test. We laid it out on our Facebook page for HardwiredTacticalShooting. It is a homage to our friend and mentor Ken Hackathorn.

15 yards....10 rounds 15 seconds
10 yards....10 rounds 10 seconds
05 yards....10 rounds 5 seconds

Advanced version is shot from the holster, regular version from the low ready. B8 Bull target scored on the rings 270 to pass. 8 round guns are simply shot from the holster on the standard test.

rsa-otc
08-23-2016, 07:40 AM
Mine is a Hanen Special. They were made in a small run in 1965 (my birth year conveniently). Most 14's are 6" with a partridge sight. The barrels are really heavy on this particular run of them.

I always felt that this is what the Mdl 15 should have been. Basically a 14 with a 4 in barrel and a hybrid front sight with the ramp falling between what a Mdl 14 partridge and Mdl 15 Ramp were.

Of course our boy Nyeti basicly has what I envisioned. Color me jealous.

Welder
08-23-2016, 07:40 AM
Cool info on the Hanen Special. Went looking for them on GB and found one, a 14-2 the owner is calling a Dayton Special. Found the owner's post on S&W Forum from this May where he asks the value question and gets a lot of feedback on these revolvers. Very cool guns. Too bad starting price without meeting reserve is $800.

Dagga Boy
08-23-2016, 11:59 AM
I always felt that this is what the Mdl 15 should have been. Basically a 14 with a 4 in barrel and a hybrid front sight with the ramp falling between what a Mdl 14 partridge and Mdl 15 Ramp were.

Of course our boy Nyeti basicly has what I envisioned. Color me jealous.

Wayne's model 15 is one of the later Heavy Barrels IIRC. Here is a picture of a standard model 15, the 14-2 Hanen Special, and a 4" 14-3. The Hanen's were some of the widest diameter barrels ever done on a 14 and I believe they are actually Model 10 HB's with the. Baughman ramp and then put in a 14 frame instead of a cut 14 that is what is usually assumed. I think the barrel even changed a bit from the first run of under 170 guns that mine is from in 1965 to a couple later runs. 2000 total produced mostly in 1966 and later.

rsa-otc
08-23-2016, 01:05 PM
I believe they are actually Model 10 HB's with the. Baughman ramp and then put in a 14 frame instead of a cut 14 that is what is usually assumed.

Looking at that picture I beleive you are right. It's Purty :cool:

Eastex
08-23-2016, 01:06 PM
You know if you put out that revolver book we all want you'd have the funds to pick up a few more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dagga Boy
08-23-2016, 01:22 PM
Looking at that picture I beleive you are right. It's Purty :cool:

Everytime I shoot it or my beater Model 28, I wonder why one of them is not my daily carry. It just seems wrong for me to find myself carrying a 4" K frame .38 that was rescued by a P-F member from a pawn shop as "the one", especially with my inventory of awesomeness. The two guns in the range bag are always this model 14-2 and my original VP9, there is a reason for that.

GJM
08-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Wayne and I came up with the "Super Test" and Advanced Super Test for semi autos awhile ago and find it to be a great shooting drill. We modified it for Revolvers.

Advanced version is same times from the holster. We score it by the rings on a B8 Bull. 162 out of 180 to pass. We shot it last Tuesday with Wayne's model 15 (179, that would have been a 180 with a small turn of elevation in the rear sight), and I shot a 180 with my Model 14. I currently shoot the Model 14 better than anything else. It's a fun drill that is a good fundamentals test.

So we have the semi-auto test and the revolver test. I am just hoping Darryl doesn't take an interest in collecting black powder revolvers, or there will be another test.

coldcase1984
08-23-2016, 01:33 PM
I still Covet Wayne's M-15; it made me look good at the Roundup!

Dagga Boy
08-23-2016, 01:34 PM
So we have the semi-auto test and the revolver test. I am just hoping Darryl doesn't take an interest in collecting black powder revolvers, or there will be another test.

No worries, I don't have the patience for it. I do have a Pirate flint lock in my globe bar in my office......just because you should have a pirate gun in it if you have a globe bar.

Jim Watson
08-23-2016, 01:56 PM
They made a few full lug 4" M14s, too. I looked for one until I found out they only made 350 or so for one distributor and prices are out of sight.
I thought about sawing off a 6" full lug but they only made about 2000 of them and I would be accused of desecrating a "collector's item."

nycnoob
08-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Wayne and I came up with the "Super Test" and Advanced Super Test for semi autos awhile ago and find it to be a great shooting drill.

I know this is a revolver sub forum but could you please put the semi-auto version of these tests here.
I have a text file with all your tests and as of now it is incomplete.

Dagga Boy
08-23-2016, 02:07 PM
I know this is a revolver sub forum but could you please put the semi-auto version of these tests here.
I have a text file with all your tests and as of now it is incomplete.

Post #5 of this thread.....;)

rsa-otc
08-23-2016, 04:48 PM

BTW - this will so be shot on my next range day 9/3 with my mdl13. As TGS can tell you I'm a fan of the TEST, and this is right up my alley. Thanks for posting.

TiroFijo
08-26-2016, 07:16 AM
Pre-lock S&W model 15 and 4" model 14 are GREAT! Smooth DA actions, great balance, good grips, good sights, mild recoil... you can't miss with them.

Poconnor
08-28-2016, 10:40 AM
How does your hanen model 14's barrel compare to a later model 15-5? Or a model 19 or 66 for that matter. I have been lucky in the last few years to have picked up three pinned and recessed model 15s. How can you resist a clean k frame for less than 350 bucks?

Dagga Boy
08-28-2016, 12:55 PM
How does your hanen model 14's barrel compare to a later model 15-5? Or a model 19 or 66 for that matter. I have been lucky in the last few years to have picked up three pinned and recessed model 15s. How can you resist a clean k frame for less than 350 bucks?

Up until some of the under lug target barrels, these (1965 Hanen Specials) were the fattest barrels ever put on an adjustable sight K frame. The heavy barrel 15's are the same as the 19 barrels minus the enclosed ejector rod housing.

rsa-otc
09-05-2016, 02:18 PM
BTW - this will so be shot on my next range day 9/3 with my mdl13. As TGS can tell you I'm a fan of the TEST, and this is right up my alley. Thanks for posting.

So as predicted I gave this a go yesterday. 167 out of 180. The 7 and 10 yard stages I was way too fast leaving a lot of time on the clock. 15 yards I settled in, still leaving some time on the clock but not much. I shot this from the ready position. Windage I was good but the group was low and accounted for most of my lost points. Yesterday I was testing a possible new training round for work. This was a 125 grain bullet which is what I feel caused the low grouping since I was shooting a fixed sighted gun which is regulated for 158 grain loads.

Love this drill especially since our training range closed for the season and all my practice until March will be on a public indoor range. Using my shot timer app on my phone set for par times I can run this drill with no issues.

Thanks DB.

Dagga Boy
09-05-2016, 02:48 PM
So as predicted I gave this a go yesterday. 167 out of 180. The 7 and 10 yard stages I was way too fast leaving a lot of time on the clock. 15 yards I settled in, still leaving some time on the clock but not much. I shot this from the ready position. Windage I was good but the group was low and accounted for most of my lost points. Yesterday I was testing a possible new training round for work. This was a 125 grain bullet which is what I feel caused the low grouping since I was shooting a fixed sighted gun which is regulated for 158 grain loads.

Love this drill especially since our training range closed for the season and all my practice until March will be on a public indoor range. Using my shot timer app on my phone set for par times I can run this drill with no issues.

Thanks DB.

Try it 5, 10 and 15 yards......there is no 7. One of the keys is to develop a deliberate consistency of delivering precision shots everytime. Think of it as a fundamentals test with a par time. The times are generous enough to allow you to do everything perfect with every shot, but not so generous to let you think about it too long or dilly dally. We find it lets you learn to be efficient with a little bit of time pressure. If you simply think hink "fast to target, stop, aim, press, follow through, aim, press follow through, aim, press follow through"....etc. the key is to be consistent. The additional great training part of this drill is to not panic and start hammering the trigger......which relates well to how to be successful in actual force usage and is usually what Is the single factor in LE failures in shootings.....panic trigger slap using emotions rather than discipline.

rsa-otc
09-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Try it 5, 10 and 15 yards......there is no 7. One of the keys is to develop a deliberate consistency of delivering precision shots everytime. Think of it as a fundamentals test with a par time. The times are generous enough to allow you to do everything perfect with every shot, but not so generous to let you think about it too long or dilly dally. We find it lets you learn to be efficient with a little bit of time pressure. If you simply think hink "fast to target, stop, aim, press, follow through, aim, press follow through, aim, press follow through"....etc. the key is to be consistent. The additional great training part of this drill is to not panic and start hammering the trigger......which relates well to how to be successful in actual force usage and is usually what Is the single factor in LE failures in shootings.....panic trigger slap using emotions rather than discipline.

Nope you are right I did shoot at 5yards rather than 7. Usually the closest I will go is 7 yards unless I am shooting DOT torture. Which I probably why I smoked the time up close, my mind was telling me this should be easy. Didn't drop any points @ 5 but the group should have been better.

Yup fundamentals, that is what I need to focus on right now. It's why I am basically putting the Semi auto away for the time being, I am looking to restore my consistency that has been missing for the last 20 months. This drill/test should help.

Thanks again.

Dagga Boy
09-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Nope you are right I did shoot at 5yards rather than 7. Usually the closest I will go is 7 yards unless I am shooting DOT torture. Which I probably why I smoked the time up close, my mind was telling me this should be easy. Didn't drop any points @ 5 but the group should have been better.

Yup fundamentals, that is what I need to focus on right now. It's why I am basically putting the Semi auto away for the time being, I am looking to restore my consistency that has been missing for the last 20 months. This drill/test should help.

Thanks again.

I find the revolver version of this is a good "deliberateness" test. The auto version is a tougher shooting test. The 10 rounds in 5 seconds at 5 yards on the auto version (especially with the draw) is really a different skill set than the revolver. All are hitting and anchoring solid controlled fundementals, but hitting different ones harder. I find it is all control, but how you maintain emotional control on a revolver versus the auto has always been a bit different to me having carried both as duty guns. The revolver always seemed to be a mindset of "you have to hit solid, because you CANNOT go dry" versus the mindset with an Auto that seemed to be "you need to hit, but you can push the speed a little because there are more rounds if you need them".

Trooper224
09-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Outstanding. Baby's new holster arrives tomorrow. I know what I'll be doing during my next range visit.

rsa-otc
09-05-2016, 05:29 PM
The revolver always seemed to be a mindset of "you have to hit solid, because you CANNOT go dry" versus the mindset with an Auto that seemed to be "you need to hit, but you can push the speed a little because there are more rounds if you need them".

This I need to give some thought to. The three years we did carry 4506 I never considered the additional rounds since you only had an extra 3 on the initial load out and only 2 extra with any subsequent reload. To me it was the same mindset all along. Now with us allowing 9mm with substantially more ammo even being restricted to 10 round magazines, (thanks NY and CA, jeez even NJ allows 15) this maybe more on point.

scw2
01-27-2017, 11:29 PM
DB and Wayne, as the creators and owners of the HiTS Revolver Super Test, how would you modify it for a 5 shot J-frame?

I ran a modified version by using the same distance and times, but shot 5 rounds only and scaled the points to reflect a maximum of 50 points per string, with a proportional passing score of 135 out of 150 (90% of points). Would you recommend also dropping the times to account for fewer rounds fired? I figured I should find the official method for snubbies as opposed to me just running a bastardized version of your test. :)

Wayne Dobbs
01-29-2017, 08:30 PM
DB and Wayne, as the creators and owners of the HiTS Revolver Super Test, how would you modify it for a 5 shot J-frame?

I ran a modified version by using the same distance and times, but shot 5 rounds only and scaled the points to reflect a maximum of 50 points per string, with a proportional passing score of 135 out of 150 (90% of points). Would you recommend also dropping the times to account for fewer rounds fired? I figured I should find the official method for snubbies as opposed to me just running a bastardized version of your test. :)

How about eight, six and four seconds with a five shot?

scw2
01-29-2017, 08:51 PM
How about eight, six and four seconds with a five shot?

That'll work. Your test, your rules. :)

Ran it before your response with my incorrect times, and the longer distances really show your errors on sights, trigger and grip on the j frame! The shortest distance string is way more forgiving with misaligned sights.

Wayne Dobbs
01-29-2017, 09:24 PM
That'll work. Your test, your rules. :)

Ran it before your response with my incorrect times, and the longer distances really show your errors on sights, trigger and grip on the j frame! The shortest distance string is way more forgiving with misaligned sights.

We really never intended to drive people nuts with a J-frame version of this test, but only service sized guns. If there's enough interest, Darryl and I might try to work up a J-frame Super Test. If I were to make a guess, we'd likely shorten distances.

Leroy Suggs
02-02-2017, 04:59 PM
Count me in as interested in a J Super Test.

Sherman A. House DDS
02-02-2017, 08:23 PM
We really never intended to drive people nuts with a J-frame version of this test, but only service sized guns. If there's enough interest, Darryl and I might try to work up a J-frame Super Test. If I were to make a guess, we'd likely shorten distances.

INTERESTED. You know I'm about that J frame lifestyle, Wayne!

deputyG23
02-02-2017, 09:17 PM
Count me in as interested in a J Super Test.

Likewise, Sir, at your convenience. I carry one of the little buggers more often than I care to admit publically.

Shootingrn
02-02-2017, 09:34 PM

Count me in as well!

Wayne Dobbs
02-07-2017, 02:16 PM
We got the J Frame Super Test worked out this AM. Darryl should be along soon with the details. Gird your loins...

Sherman A. House DDS
02-07-2017, 03:34 PM
We got the J Frame Super Test worked out this AM. Darryl should be along soon with the details. Gird your loins...

I keep my loins in a perpetual state of girdedness.

Dagga Boy
02-07-2017, 07:21 PM
https://www.facebook.com/Hardwired-Tactical-Shooting-289679681133490/

SeriousStudent
02-07-2017, 07:43 PM

I am totally down for the One Day Snub Class you mentioned, and am looking forward to seeing pics of the Yost HiTS 640 pistol.

Mike Pipes
02-07-2017, 09:34 PM
A snub class would bring me out of training retirement!!

SeriousStudent
02-07-2017, 09:50 PM
A snub class would bring me out of training retirement!!

I will pay for your BBQ, just to get you there. :)

Shootingrn
02-07-2017, 10:50 PM

Sweet! Thanks for doing this.

Pit
02-07-2017, 11:19 PM
Looking forward to trying this drill. 135 out of 150 to pass?

JW

Lon
02-07-2017, 11:26 PM
I would like to request you start posting a "Dagga Boy and Wayne Revolver Photo(s) of the Day" on your book of faces page. With a short paragraph describing anything special about said revolver.

Pretty please.

With sugar on top.

Wayne Dobbs
02-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Looking forward to trying this drill. 135 out of 150 to pass?

JW

That is correct. But, most important, keep your shots on the black of the B8. The test is all about consistent accuracy at realistic speed. We'd rather you fire an overtime shot than a horrible miss.

Hizzie
02-08-2017, 10:20 AM
This is gonna be a big year but I'll try to budget this.

Pit
02-08-2017, 10:59 AM
That is correct. But, most important, keep your shots on the black of the B8. The test is all about consistent accuracy at realistic speed. We'd rather you fire an overtime shot than a horrible miss.

Thx Wayne. That is the mindset I train and teach with.

Eastex
02-08-2017, 11:16 AM

Thanks for setting this standard. I know my, "well that was okay", isn't what I want to strive for. I need to pick up some B8 targets and I think I might need to pick up another pound of powder and some primers as well.

Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic

Wayne Dobbs
02-08-2017, 04:20 PM
I went out and tried the J Frame Super Test again today. On a cold run using my M&P 340 loaded with Speer 135 grain GDHPs I fired a 145/150, with all shots in the black of the B8. Fired it from concealment using my Dark Star AIWB holster. The test really forces you to be disciplined and you soon find out these little guns demand extreme fundamental use, which makes them expert's guns and not for the non-dedicated user/carrier.

Hizzie
02-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Comp III's for your snubby? :cool:

p/BQTQSMYDtJy
Jet Loader goodness.

Lon
02-09-2017, 03:46 PM
I do prefer my Jet-Loaders over my Comp III's.

Hizzie
02-09-2017, 03:56 PM
I do prefer my Jet-Loaders over my Comp III's.

Discontinued so buy whatever you find.

Lon
02-09-2017, 04:13 PM

Of course they are. Seems like everything I prefer is discontinued or gets discontinued shortly after I take a liking to it.

I bought mine in a small gun shop. Found em in a old box. $5 each.

Shootingrn
02-09-2017, 07:21 PM

So lots of work to do!

Target 1 shot cold(literally, its was 19 degrees) I stepped out of my truck, swapped ammo, stapled the target and went at it. 340 MP from a DSG AIWB concealed.

Target 2 right after the first...all in all 15 minutes maybe?

I've been spending a lot of time with this gun and putting in a lot of dry fire and range time with it, BUT not under a time standard. It really showed...and of course I shot it faster than the par times.

I'm going to use this drill as a standard baseline for my small revolver skills. I have my own range so driving 5 minutes and shooting 15 rounds will be a good cold test of proficiency all in the matter of 10 minutes. I kind of like the idea of a standard like that to work towards and maintain. Drive somewhere step out and go...treating it like not even going to the range, just normal travel with an unexpected event.

Thanks again for putting this out there.

Wayne Dobbs
02-10-2017, 10:14 AM

So lots of work to do!

Target 1 shot cold(literally, its was 19 degrees) I stepped out of my truck, swapped ammo, stapled the target and went at it. 340 MP from a DSG AIWB concealed.

Target 2 right after the first...all in all 15 minutes maybe?

I've been spending a lot of time with this gun and putting in a lot of dry fire and range time with it, BUT not under a time standard. It really showed...and of course I shot it faster than the par times.

I'm going to use this drill as a standard baseline for my small revolver skills. I have my own range so driving 5 minutes and shooting 15 rounds will be a good cold test of proficiency all in the matter of 10 minutes. I kind of like the idea of a standard like that to work towards and maintain. Drive somewhere step out and go...treating it like not even going to the range, just normal travel with an unexpected event.

Thanks again for putting this out there.

You're very welcome! It does show you how focused you have to be with these little blasters. I heard somebody call J frames modern Derringers and I think that's not too far off base. When your carry ammo is ready for replacement, simply step up and shoot that. That's what I did on the posted photo with my 135 GDHP carry ammo (and two reloads).

All those high hits are something Darryl and I noticed when working this test up. We can get away with floating a front sight on a full sized autopistol or revolver, but in the snubs, that short sight radius gets you and causes high front sight shots to go very high. Another reminder that disciplined fundamental execution is extremely important to shooting well with these guns.

Shootingrn
02-10-2017, 05:15 PM
All those high hits are something Darryl and I noticed when working this test up. We can get away with floating a front sight on a full sized autopistol or revolver, but in the snubs, that short sight radius gets you and causes high front sight shots to go very high. Another reminder that disciplined fundamental execution is extremely important to shooting well with these guns.

It really showed that for sure! Even though I read the FB post where you and DB mentioned the dot and high shots and I "know" my holdover for different ranges, the introduction of the time stress and "just go" nature really showed the flaws in my competency.

Simple and revealing....

rathos
02-11-2017, 11:54 AM

They are??? http://www.pistoleer.com/jetloader/

Hizzie
02-11-2017, 12:06 PM
They are??? http://www.pistoleer.com/jetloader/

The blips I've seen on the web say they aren't being made anymore.

Sherman A. House DDS
02-11-2017, 01:32 PM
I was under the impression that they were made in Australia, and simply weren't being imported anymore.

Eastex
02-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Well....I suck but at least I know about how much I suck. Downloaded a timer app for my phone while I'm shopping around for a proper timer. I had a couple of strings where my last shot was a buzzer beater and a couple of others where I rushed a bit. This target is three passes through the test with a extra five rounds from five yards to finish off the box. All shot with my 642 with some of my practice wadcutters. I just finished them up right before dark and with the laser. I'd hate to see how bad I would have done without it. The low ones were almost all at ten yards, lots and lots of work to do.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170212/a1d9714b3d4552f6fa3fa5312f4013c6.jpg

Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic

alohadoug
02-11-2017, 08:08 PM
Eastex- which timer did you end up downloading?

Stephanie B
02-11-2017, 08:35 PM
I gave the snub one a run with my Model 60 on the local indoor range.

I pretty much suck. Shot 134. The worst was, no surprise, really, at the 10 yard stage. At the 3-yard stage, the target was blowing around a little from muzzle blast.

Had to guess at the timing as there were other shooters on the range and the shot timer app on my phone was seeing too much noise.

Eastex
02-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Eastex- which timer did you end up downloading?

I downloaded the Surefire Shot Timer but I'm just used the timer function today. It has split times and such but I haven't dug that far into it yet.

"Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic"

Lon
02-11-2017, 10:26 PM
I downloaded the Surefire Shot Timer but I'm just used the timer function today. It has split times and such but I haven't dug that far into it yet.

"Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic"

I think this is a better app than the SF one. Unless they've updated the SF one.

taadski
03-24-2017, 05:37 PM
I've been contemplating going back to a J-frame as a BUG for work a bit lately. I had some time so I brought a old 340 PD over to the range this afternoon to do some re-familiarization.

Mid-session, I found a crumpled up B-8 in the bottom of my bag and vaguely remembered reading about a snubby test on here. I couldn't remember any of the details so I dug around on the iPhone and found this thread (and the link to the HITS book-face post). Bingo!

I shot the Super Test a single time (I only had the one B-8).

340 PD from a leather appendix rig under a t-shirt. Not too impressive. The first 5 shots at 10 yards were all clustered at the 7 o'clock, half in the 9 ring and two in the 8. [sigh] Had some extra time but I was hustling a bit b/c I botched my draw. It was a good reminder about the extra requisite attention shooting these little guys.

Any way...

10 yard string: 6.62
5 yard string : 4.79
3 yard string: 2.73

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsowx4cxhg.jpg

Anyway, it was fun getting the little 11 ounce monster out to stretch her legs a bit. Figured I'd share.

Wayne Dobbs
03-24-2017, 05:45 PM
I've been contemplating going back to a J-frame as a BUG for work a bit lately. I had some time so I brought a old 340 PD over to the range this afternoon to do some re-familiarization.

Mid-session, I found a crumpled up B-8 in the bottom of my bag and vaguely remembered reading about a snubby test on here. I couldn't remember any of the details so I dug around on the iPhone and found this thread (and the link to the HITS book-face post). Bingo!

I shot the Super Test a single time (I only had the one B-8).

340 PD from a leather appendix rig under a t-shirt. Not too impressive. The first 5 shots at 10 yards were all clustered at the 7 o'clock, half in the 9 ring and two in the 8. [sigh] Had some extra time but I was hustling a bit b/c I botched my draw. It was a good reminder about the extra requisite attention shooting these little guys.

Any way...

10 yard string: 6.62
5 yard string : 4.79
3 yard string: 2.73

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsowx4cxhg.jpg

Anyway, it was fun getting the little 11 ounce monster out to stretch her legs a bit. Figured I'd share.

That's really excellent!

Stephanie B
03-25-2017, 11:35 AM
That'd be impressive with a 60 or 640, but with a nothing-weight.... wow!

BN
05-10-2017, 06:49 PM
I ran the Facebook version from low ready today. First run was my 442 using the CT laser grips: 144 5X. I ran it again using the iron sights: 146 6X I think. Hard to see. On my last run at 3 yards I went over time at 3.29 seconds. I was using wadcutter reloads.

16477 16478

Jared
05-21-2017, 03:48 PM
I spent a good bit of time with the non-snub one today shooting a nickel model 15 and a blue 24-3. Managed to pass it 12 consecutive times, 10 with the 38 and 2 with the 44 before I yanked a shot badly with the 24 and failed. At that point I was pretty well done for the day anyway.

FWIW, I loved it. The 15 yard part can really make or break you. I was coming in​ around 10 seconds per run at 15, 7 at 10 and right at 4 from 5. This was all from low ready. I think I could make the 15 and 10 yard strings from the holster, but at 5 I'd need to hustle a good bit more than I was today.

Best score was a 174, worst passing score was 167. Will shoot this again, thanks Wayne and DB.

I was gonna a run the snub version too with my 2" model 10, but I forgot to bring that gun.

revchuck38
01-01-2018, 03:55 PM
Ran this today in 36 degree weather, which isn't quite the norm in south effin' Louisiana. Did it from ready, S&W M67-1, handloads with 158 grain RNLs at ~800 fps. The two holes in the white were on the 15-yard string. And yes, I did add three clicks to the right afterwards.

https://i.imgur.com/rmOQy5v.jpg

JCS
07-27-2018, 08:28 PM
Bumping this as I’m trying to find j frame drills & tests. I don’t have Facebook so can someone help me out with the times and distances on the j frame super test??

Pit
07-27-2018, 08:52 PM
Bumping this as I’m trying to find j frame drills & tests. I don’t have Facebook so can someone help me out with the times and distances on the j frame super test??

From their Facebook page

HiTS Snub Super Test

This is all shot on a B8 Bullseye repair center on a silhouette type backer. This is all shot from a good low ready where the muzzle is below the base of the target stand.

10 Yards....5 shots in 8 seconds. Two hands
5 Yards....5 shots in 5 seconds. Two hands
3 Yards....5 shots in 3 seconds. Strong hand only.

For the "Advanced Version", you will draw from a concealment holster. For those using a pocket holster, start with the grip established in the holster. Also, at the 3 yard stage, two hands can be used, and 3.5 seconds in line with what we were comfortable with to hold black with sub 15 ounce guns.

Jared
06-16-2019, 01:34 PM
Bumping this because I shot the Revolver Super Test for the first time in a good while today. Ran a very boring 4" GP100 whose only change from out of the box is a set of Hogue no finger groove rubber grips. First cold run was 174, which was lower than I'd like, but I blame on one very close 8 ring hit. All in all I shot 8 runs between that GP and my GP100 Match Champion. Passed every single run with a core of 170 or higher except for the second run of the day that I tossed one round horribly.

Most satisfying part of it was that I hadn't shot this test in over a year, and it's only the third time I've been able to shoot this year at all. Glad to see I'm holding a tiny bit of skill with a handgun.

eb07
06-19-2019, 02:26 PM
From their Facebook page

HiTS Snub Super Test

This is all shot on a B8 Bullseye repair center on a silhouette type backer. This is all shot from a good low ready where the muzzle is below the base of the target stand.

10 Yards....5 shots in 8 seconds. Two hands
5 Yards....5 shots in 5 seconds. Two hands
3 Yards....5 shots in 3 seconds. Strong hand only.

For the "Advanced Version", you will draw from a concealment holster. For those using a pocket holster, start with the grip established in the holster. Also, at the 3 yard stage, two hands can be used, and 3.5 seconds in line with what we were comfortable with to hold black with sub 15 ounce guns.

Ran this today with my brand spanking new virgin 642

https://i.postimg.cc/HLfYk82b/IMG-20190619-083716.jpg

revchuck38
11-21-2019, 05:31 PM
I decided to try this today with my 642. I did it cold, using the last ten rounds from an ancient red and white box of Federal wadcutter and the remainder with my wadcutter handloads. I messed up on the three-yard string, I had "three" in my mind and only shot three rounds. I taped them and re-shot that string. The two marked shots in the white were from the ten-yard line, the other was at three.

revchuck38
11-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Tried it again today with the 642, this time with a handload using a 125-grain coated LTC from Missouri Bullets. Two of the nines and the eight were from the three-yard stage, need to work more on SHO shooting.

vermilionbird
05-30-2023, 11:38 AM
This thread still alive? I shot the snubby test today with my 640. Below is my best of three runs; the other two were 143 and 146. I used my 38spl handloads: 158gr Hi-Tek coated over 3.6gr HP38. The gun itself is really where all the magic happens. It's got an action job from Eli at TK Custom, an XS small dot sight, and comfy wraparound Pachmayr grips. The 147 is definitely the gun, and not me :D

https://i.imgur.com/UgGy0Ny.jpg

revchuck38
10-20-2023, 07:26 PM
I tried this again with a M49 that I bought in the interim and a handload of a 158-grain plated RN running about 790 fps from its 1-7/8” barrel…and yes, I’m going to tone that load down a bit. I went a bit overtime on the three yard string.
I’m just happy my hits were there, need to work on SHO.

MDFA
01-15-2024, 04:50 PM
Only my second time at the range with my 640-3. First time since I added the XS Standard Sight and the Apex Carry/Duty Kit. I tested 30 rounds through it to see which rounds hit to the sight and at what elevation. I settled on my 158gr. FMJ FP at 754 FPS reload. I'll take 145 out of 150 for a first effort.

backtrail540
04-21-2024, 04:50 PM
Ran today with my cheater gun (ssr with sro and nills) from the holster. 166/180

https://i.postimg.cc/Y0vGj6nf/20240421-103116.jpg (https://postimg.cc/5QMNRCM6)
15 yards

https://i.postimg.cc/hjP7RWVY/20240421-103216.jpg (https://postimg.cc/cK2Jfz97)
10 yards

https://i.postimg.cc/B6YPqYgn/20240421-103257.jpg (https://postimg.cc/WFZ187CB)
5 yards

I dry practice with it regularly but i haven't actually had it out in some time.

BN
04-24-2024, 07:47 PM

I ran the 5 shot version from low ready today with an LCR 22. This was NOT cold. I recently bought this used LCR with the XS round top sight and it took several practice runs to see what kind of hold I needed to get centered hits. I can shoot this revolver a lot without pain in my arthritic hand.