PDA

View Full Version : Rumor of discontinuation of M&P models with thumb safety

GJM
11-11-2011, 04:24 PM
I saw a 10-8 email today, where Hilton Yam mentioned there is word that Smith may be discontinuing M&P models with thumb safeties after the first of the year.

GJM
11-11-2011, 04:49 PM
I have no information other than the following from Hilton Yam, who was at a class with Randy Lee of Apex:

For a die hard 1911 guy, transitioning to the M&P with thumb safety is extremely easy. The grip angle and bore height is very similar, so presentations are very natural feeling. Reloads are fairly intuitive, and the tapered magazine going into the reasonably sized hole allows for quick reloads even without a magazine well. I operate the M&P slide stop with my support hand thumb, much like I would on my 1911, and there is then no confusion as to the manual of arms when transitioning between the two guns. The thumb safety is a bit soft in clicking on and off, but is otherwise a decent facsimile of what is going on with a 1911. I understand that there is a possibility that the thumb safety models may be discontinued. I hope that this is not true, though I understand sales may not be as robust in this variant. For a 1911 guy thinking about running a polymer pistol, I would suggest giving the M&P thumb safety model a very hard look. I would also suggest doing this sooner rather than later, especially if they might be getting discontinued. I will conduct some more research at SHOT show in January, but Christmas is coming so you may as well get yourself a new blaster, right?

Pennzoil
11-11-2011, 05:37 PM
I bet this is just a rumor as S&W just went to thumb safety frames on all the FDE models (ex. VTAC, range/carry kit) regardless if equipped with a thumb safety and started using plugs to fill the open slot on the non thumb safety models. Although I guess anything is possible with S&W. It would suck if they discontinued the Thumb Safety as I think it's really well done and love it on my M&P's even though I typically despise external safeties.

DocGKR
11-11-2011, 07:04 PM
The main reason I use the M&P is because of the outstanding thumb safety...

theblacknight
11-11-2011, 07:28 PM
From everything I've heard, MP 45 thumb safety +Apex FSS = plastic 1911 and just as accurate.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

GJM
11-11-2011, 07:38 PM
I hope it is an incorrect rumor, but when it originates in writing from Hilton Yam after being with Randy Lee, I take it seriously. I understand S&W is discontinuing M&P .357 Sig models due to low sales volume. Not sure how often you have seen an M&P with a thumb safety at a retail shop, but I see a lot more M&P's without the thumb safety. I called Bud's and ordered a FS 9 with thumb safety today after hearing this.

The M&P mid-size with FSS is a plastic 1911 in terms of accuracy and trigger pull. I am still not sure whether I prefer the FSS or DC Apex trigger. The FSS is great on more difficult shots, but the DC has some roll which makes one hand easier for me, plus it is easier to work the DC trigger between shots.

To Doc's point on the thumb safety, initially I was luke warm to them. With appendix carry, and after following his lead and getting my east coast oral surgeon friend to modify them, the thumb safety snicks on and off like a good 1911, making them one of the M&P's best features to me.

YVK
11-11-2011, 08:22 PM
I only follow M&P line peripherally at this point, but it'd be interesting to hear from tech-savvy VTAC owners if their pistols have unified sear block design (ready to accept safety) that's mentioned on a linked site. If that's the case, then the only thing one should buy now is actual thumb safety itself...

GJM
11-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I only follow M&P line peripherally at this point, but it'd be interesting to hear from tech-savvy VTAC owners if their pistols have unified sear block design (ready to accept safety) that's mentioned on a linked site. If that's the case, then the only thing one should buy now is actual thumb safety itself...

The one VTAC I have is ready to accept the thumb safety. The problem is, that while you can get the thumb safety, Smith won't sell the other two little parts required to install the thumb safety. I am considering robbing the parts from an old thumb safety model to convert my VTAC. Right now, I would buy a thumb safety model, as you can always remove the thumb safety, but if you get a non-thumb safety model, you may not be able to get the parts. I have two mid-size 45's without thumb safety, and their frames are cut for the thumb safety and internally they are ready, if I had the parts.