PDA

View Full Version : Which belly band?

JAD
08-22-2016, 11:04 AM
Who makes the best belly band?

Applications are running and lifting in an indoor gym environment and occasional NPE duty.

Cecil Burch
08-22-2016, 11:16 AM
I have been using this one a lot:

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Product/Modular-Belly-Band-Band-Only

Works great and has held up durability wise. I wear it in a work NPE as well as when running. The nice thing about it is that with the velcro, I can come close to mimicking my normal AIWB belt holster carry.

Dropkick
08-22-2016, 11:48 AM
Who makes the best belly band? Applications are running and lifting in an indoor gym environment and occasional NPE duty.
JAD, what gun are you planning to carry in it?

I have been using this one a lot:
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Product/Modular-Belly-Band-Band-Only
Works great and has held up durability wise. I wear it in a work NPE as well as when running. The nice thing about it is that with the velcro, I can come close to mimicking my normal AIWB belt holster carry.
CB, what gun are you carrying in it? How low or high do you ride the grip of your pistol in relation to your belt line? Do you ever get the "flop over" effect that happens with other belly bands?

Chance
08-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Tiffany takes hers to a seamstress that does all variety of things to her belly bands to get them set up the way she likes them. You might want to dig up some of her posts or DM her.

Cecil Burch
08-22-2016, 11:58 AM
CB, what gun are you carrying in it? How low or high do you ride the grip of your pistol in relation to your belt line? Do you ever get the "flop over" effect that happens with other belly bands?

I was running a PPS. but now carry my P2000sk in a special holster that Dark Star Gear made for me.

At times I may get a bit of flop over, but it is minimized in this band three ways:

1) with the velcro, you can move the holster around so it can ride better and lessen the tendency to flop

2) it has a "flap" that you secure over the holster after you have it set into position, so the pistol is actively bolstered from the inner and outer sides

3) the holster backing is pretty large so the weight is spread over a lot of the band, not all focused in a narrow spot

I'm generally able in business slacks to have the grip ride just a bit low along the belt line. I prefer a bit higher, but for maximum concealment, i have to sacrifice a bit of ideal positioning.

Irelander
08-22-2016, 12:37 PM
I was running a PPS. but now carry my P2000sk in a special holster that Dark Star Gear made for me.

At times I may get a bit of flop over, but it is minimized in this band three ways:

1) with the velcro, you can move the holster around so it can ride better and lessen the tendency to flop

2) it has a "flap" that you secure over the holster after you have it set into position, so the pistol is actively bolstered from the inner and outer sides

3) the holster backing is pretty large so the weight is spread over a lot of the band, not all focused in a narrow spot

I'm generally able in business slacks to have the grip ride just a bit low along the belt line. I prefer a bit higher, but for maximum concealment, i have to sacrifice a bit of ideal positioning.

If you're able, some pics of the Dark Star Gear holster and your use of the Cross Breed belly band would be cool.

JAD
08-22-2016, 12:40 PM
JAD, what gun are you planning to carry in it?

Not settled. PPS, J frame, PM9, or G43 are the runners at the moment.

If you'll comment, Cecil, how does the PPS do with regard to sweat?

OnionsAndDragons
08-22-2016, 01:05 PM

Obv not Cecil, but my initials are CB...

And I have carried a PPS classic for 5 years often against skin. The only part I have ever seen surface rust on is the rear sight.

I think the Crossbreed band would do quite well with a PPS or G43. Depending on preference for position, I could see wanting a slight muzzle extension.

I'm a recent fan of the SmartCarry. Tom kept telling me it was worth trying and I finally did. It's hard to beat for NPE carry of a serious working gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cecil Burch
08-22-2016, 01:44 PM
If you're able, some pics of the Dark Star Gear holster and your use of the Cross Breed belly band would be cool.

I may be able to do that tomorrow.

Tom's holster does not look all that much different from the standard holsters available. The kydex is a bit sturdier, and the back (where it attaches to the band) is maybe slightly larger, but it is not tons different from what the holsters look like on the sample pics with the belly band. The main thing was that at the time, they did not offer it for the P2000sk (I think they do now), so all that was all I cared about. Not so much that DSG did anything fancy.

Cecil Burch
08-22-2016, 01:46 PM

I have not had any problems with it. The band is fairly wide, as is the holster, and not a lot of the gun comes into much direct body contact. Maybe it is because it is a dry heat here (it is a cliche, but one steeped in massive truth), but I the finish on my PPS and the internals looks fine.

Irelander
08-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Tom's holster does not look all that much different from the standard holsters available. The kydex is a bit sturdier, and the back (where it attaches to the band) is maybe slightly larger, but it is not tons different from what the holsters look like on the sample pics with the belly band. The main thing was that at the time, they did not offer it for the P2000sk (I think they do now), so all that was all I cared about. Not so much that DSG did anything fancy.

Ok. I imagined some fancy new rig I was missing.

fatdog
08-22-2016, 03:53 PM
I use the Galco Underwraps, been on those for 14+ years as my first choice and I wear it every day. Life cycle for one is about 2 years in my use then I throw them away. They will accommodate the sewn in holster shells (Keepers or others) very well, but the set up is for FBI cant. Not sure they would work well for Appendix position, I position the gun at 3:00 ish and it is set up well for that. Spare mag (single stack) or speed strip at 12:00 in the generic pocket of the thing that is intended for such.

orionz06
08-22-2016, 08:01 PM
Ok. I imagined some fancy new rig I was missing.

I wish. What the shell needed to be and what it didn't need to be didn't leave much room to change much nor did it make much sense. I just straight copied then existing design and didn't take payment on a clone.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

Kennydale
08-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Big fan of 3Speed Holster (http://3speedholster.com/#oid=1003_1) Have one for my Ruger SR40C (Carried that for two and half years and one for my Glock G19 (Carried that for ten months). It's more than just a Canvas or Spandex band with a pouch sewn in. It is made specific for your carry firearm. It is made from a FAUX Leather. The back plate of the holster, has a plastic sheet sewn in. This plastic will form a DRAW CONE in a weeks time (Dry fire draw practice). It also has a built in magazine pouch and uses a Velcro belt system. Though iut is mostly for AIWB (How i wore it) or Deep Conceal . It can be shifted around body (ZERO CANT). I wore mine because of a injury from an auto accident. I could not wear any restrictive clothing with belts. 10036 10037 10038 10039 10040

Just so you know i have worn this in HOT STEAMY Gulf Coast Texas. I would wear it while my grand kids swam at the crowded local community pool (In belt less shorts and a tee shirt).

ldunnmobile
08-23-2016, 06:41 AM
My favorite by FAR is Telor Tactical paired with a Fricke Zacchaeus.

http://www.telortactical.com/products/comfort-air-bodyband-holster-belly-band-holster

JAD
08-23-2016, 06:57 AM
My favorite by FAR is Telor Tactical paired with a Fricke Zacchaeus.

Applying a Zach makes a /ton/ of sense to me, thanks for the insight on that!