PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about......2" K frames

Lon
08-20-2016, 07:20 PM
I have an itch for a 2" K frame. Been looking at the various online sources and have found models 10/12/15 and 64. Really interested in the 12 or the 15. And maybe a NYPD 64.

I am not interested in them for collector value, they will be occasional carry guns and probably kept loaded as house guns. So having said that, any thoughts or experiences to share?

I found a beat to hell 15 I thought would be a nice project gun. I thought replacing the rear sight with an extreme duty rear from C/S and then having the front sight milled off and replaced with a night sight of some sort would be kinda cool.

43Under
08-20-2016, 08:17 PM
Greg Ellifritz has an article about K frame snubbies on his blog that I just read a few days ago.
http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/k-and-l-frame-snub-revolvers

Lon
08-20-2016, 08:38 PM
Good article. Thanks.

Dagga Boy
08-20-2016, 08:57 PM
Great article and right on the money.

Jeep
08-20-2016, 08:58 PM
Great idea. Don't rule out the 2.5 inch ones either. I have a 2.5 inch Model 19 that is amazingly accurate. Cloverleaf at 25 yards accurate.

Lon
08-20-2016, 09:02 PM
I had a 2.5" 19. Didn't love it as much as my 3" 65 so I sold it off awhile back to fund another project.

Totem Polar
08-20-2016, 09:02 PM
I like them. Thoughts:

As accurate as the longer tubes, just less sight radius. Waaaaaaay easier to shoot than same length J-frame snubs. OMMV, but it's like the difference between a G42 and a G19. Not really any easier to conceal IWB than a 3" tube. Ejector rod must be vertical and slapped with reasonable commitment to get empty +P cases out with efficiency. They feel like an extension of one's grip, to me. Some velocity loss to be expected. None of what I said will surprise you, I'm sure. So I'll leave you with this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/578666432

I'd rock this, if I hadn't already bought my wheelie for the week...

ETA: I've read that GE article before, not that I'm the same level of expert, but I totally agree with GE and Darryl.

Lon
08-20-2016, 09:04 PM
I like them. Thoughts:

As accurate as the longer tubes, just less sight radius. Waaaaaaay easier to shoot than same length J-frame snubs. OMMV, but it's like the difference between a G42 and a G19. Not really any easier to conceal IWB than a 3" tube. Ejector rod must be vertical and slapped with reasonable commitment to get empty +P cases out with efficiency. They feel like an extension of one's grip, to me. Some velocity loss to be expected. None of what I said will surprise you, I'm sure. So I'll leave you with this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/578666432

I'd rock this, if I hadn't already bought my wheelie for the week...

Haha. That's on my watch list already along with a few other 2" K's.

Totem Polar
08-20-2016, 09:10 PM
^^^I love the vapor hone, or bead blast, or whatever it is on those sexy, DAO things. Lemme see here; I'm on my 6th NY-spec'd wheelie, I believe.

TDA
08-20-2016, 09:41 PM
What you want for this, is to find your local olde gonne shoppe that takes stuff on consignment and doesn't know about Gunbroker. They're still out there, and they are still occasionally 10 years behind the times on 2 and 3 inch K frames.

BobM
08-20-2016, 09:47 PM
Years ago I bought a 2" 64 for my daughter to use when she got old enough. She's over 21 now and has her permit. She doesn't like it much and strongly prefers the 9mm Shield she bought herself. It shoots very well and I like to put it in an outer coat pocket in winter. I think about selling it once in awhile but it might be a good carry gun when I get older

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
08-20-2016, 10:49 PM
What you want for this, is to find your local olde gonne shoppe that takes stuff on consignment and doesn't know about Gunbroker. They're still out there, and they are still occasionally 10 years behind the times on 2 and 3 inch K frames.

2-inch, maybe. If you find the mythical 3-inch specialK at anything less than tomorrow's prices, buy it, buy a lotto ticket on your way home, and hit the bar looking for your soulmate while you're at it. :D

Dagga Boy
08-21-2016, 06:18 AM
I've actually found more use for the snub K's than the 3" guns. Now I have a crap load of 3" K's and L's because they are great shooting, well balanced and simply awesome combat revolvers. The problem is, all the cases of where they make sense to carry........is why I carry a VP9 or SK size gun. The 2" 64 conceals really well and can get shoved into concealment roles where I don't really like auto's. I find the smaller J & K's get a bunch more actual work and tend to be more 'useful" in today's world of polymer striker guns.

deputyG23
08-21-2016, 08:50 AM
A 1949 M&P 2" RB sixgun complete with a Pachmayr grip adapter installed followed me home about a month ago bought from a local PD retiree who is doing a gun purge in preparation for moving out of state. Had some surface rust and a little pitting on the backstrap but cleaned up nicely with a Frontier pad and a little gun oil. Shoots golf ball size groups at 21 feet with my reloads but about three inches to the left. I noticed the same issue with a 1975 Colt DS I got last fall with the same reloads. Took the original grips and adapter off and put on an old set of '80s Pachmayr rubber Compac grips and will shoot it again this afternoon to see if that might affect POI. May just be that the nut behind the trigger needs tightening....this is my first 2" K frame and I will be certainly on the lookout for more. A 2" RB M12 shooter grade at a decent price is on my get list.
Greg Effritz's article was spot on, as well. The prices on these guns have gone up a lot since the article was written. It is rare to see one priced under $500 here in VA.

Lon
08-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Doing some research and it looks like all of the M12's except the -4s have non "standard" frames and hammers. That kinda worries me since all I've found have been -2 & -3 M12s for sale. Parts might be a problem. The 64 would be easier in that regard for sure. Decisions, decisions.

Totem Polar
08-21-2016, 10:48 AM
^^^That's true. Your aftermarket grip options, er, slim down a lot.

Lon
08-21-2016, 11:10 AM
Well, turns out I'm watching a -4 online. Is $500 too much. It's in pretty good shape. Like 90%+ condition.

deputyG23
08-22-2016, 04:53 AM
Well, turns out I'm watching a -4 online. Is $500 too much. It's in pretty good shape. Like 90%+ condition.

Probably not in today's market. I would examine the frame very carefully for cracks. A female Jailor at my work bought a barely used 4" one years ago to use for work. Our armorer examined it and found a crack. I believe S&W did make it right but M12s were still in production then.

TiroFijo
08-25-2016, 07:15 AM
To me, the K frames in 2" or 3" are amazing. Easy to shoot and very accurate. The 3" wins on reloads, and the difference in lenght is small.

But in reality, I can't see a reason why carry one of them and not a G19.

deputyG23
08-26-2016, 08:29 AM
To me, the K frames in 2" or 3" are amazing. Easy to shoot and very accurate. The 3" wins on reloads, and the difference in lenght is small.

But in reality, I can't see a reason why carry one of them and not a G19.
In my experience, the revolver grip sometimes just hides better by virtue of it being more round than squarish, like my Glock 23 grip.
I have a 4" round butt M10 that serves as my tuxedo gun when I do music jobs that require a tux. In an old Bianchi #6 clip on IWB holster, it conceals very well at 4:00 and the 4" barrel tends to keep the grip pulled in closer to the body.

vaspence
08-29-2016, 08:59 PM
Picked up a 64-4 this evening. The K frames are my favorite revolvers but I've never owned a 2". Thanks to this thread and a guy in need of cash I do now!

deputyG23
08-29-2016, 09:12 PM
Picked up a 64-4 this evening. The K frames are my favorite revolvers but I've never owned a 2". Thanks to this thread and a guy in need of cash I do now!

Looks like one of the VA DOC trade ins. Nice snag!

vaspence
08-29-2016, 09:28 PM
I agree. Probably from the batch Town got in a while back. Has a very nice trigger.

Dagga Boy
08-29-2016, 09:39 PM
Great score, I love mine.

KevH
08-29-2016, 10:44 PM
The 2" Model 12 round-butt is probably one of the easiest guns to carry and shoot that there is (other than the Colt Agent). I cannot figure out for the life of me why S&W doesn't wake up and make another decent 2" or 3" lightweight K frame. They conceal and carry super easy, but shoot and feel like a full-size in your hand.

Lon
08-30-2016, 07:07 AM
I cannot figure out for the life of me why S&W doesn't wake up and make another decent 2" or 3" lightweight K frame.

I've said it before. A 3" version of the 315 Night Guard would be awesome. I'd probably buy 2.

LSP972
08-30-2016, 07:29 AM
Doing some research and it looks like all of the M12's except the -4s have non "standard" frames and hammers. That kinda worries me since all I've found have been -2 & -3 M12s for sale. Parts might be a problem. The 64 would be easier in that regard for sure. Decisions, decisions.

Yes, but the main difference is the stocks. Pieces/parts are generally the same; and often simply not available. Agreed, an M-64 or M-10 two inch/RB would be better... To shoot. The M-12 is a beautiful carry piece. And, of course, can break with no warning when you do shoot it.

I have a pristine M-12 two inch/RB, and want a blued good M-10 two inch/RB for a practice shooter. But I also scored an M-242. Those are very light and pretty tough, so I'm planning on it for the potential Evil Empire that is probably coming.

But if I run across a good 2"/RB M-10, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Dagga Boy
08-30-2016, 07:31 AM
I have a S&W 386 that has replaced things like my Model 12. The problem is....hens teeth to find. I would love to see the enclosed frame (as ugly as it is) of the 296/242 done as a NG style with the X/S sights and a 7 round .38+P. That would be a wonderful working carry revolver.

Dagga Boy
08-30-2016, 07:37 AM
Yes, but the main difference is the stocks. Pieces/parts are generally the same; and often simply not available. Agreed, an M-64 or M-10 two inch/RB would be better... To shoot. The M-12 is a beautiful carry piece. And, of course, can break with no warning when you do shoot it.

I have a pristine M-12 two inch/RB, and want a blued good M-10 two inch/RB for a practice shooter. But I also scored an M-242. Those are very light and pretty tough, so I'm planning on it for the potential Evil Empire that is probably coming.

But if I run across a good 2"/RB M-10, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Well, seeing that post makes me happy. As much as i always bagged on the 242 as the baby version of the 296, it was said in seething jealousy. They are the modern Model 12......you just can't find them.

LSP972
08-30-2016, 07:39 AM
I cannot figure out for the life of me why S&W doesn't wake up and make another decent 2" or 3" lightweight K frame. d.

Because the M-12s broke; often. The frame would crack, either above the barrel breach (split the top strap) or somewhere in the yoke cut-out. And much of that was with the military 130gr anti-squirrel... IOW, rather not powerful... ball .38 Special. Lots of cops blew them with 158gr higher pressure ammunition.

If they did a Ti-Scan version today (scandium frame, titanium cylinder), it would be great... And cost a grand or more. And be very painful to shoot. But it would last a good while, I bet.

LSP972
08-30-2016, 07:36 PM
. They are the modern Model 12......you just can't find them.

Springfield only made a thousand or so of them. I have seen exactly TWO, in the 17 years they have been around. Springfield made a few more thousand 296 examples; I've seen a few of those.

Tamara
08-30-2016, 08:55 PM

I've had its twin in arm's reach while I sleep for...heck, ten or eleven years now.

Lyonsgrid
08-30-2016, 09:01 PM

Tamara
08-30-2016, 09:17 PM
To be fair, the later 12-2s were better than the earlier ones. Heck, that went for all alloy-frame Smiths, K- and J- alike.

The first ones, Smith was pretty much making it up as they went along, and a flat latch J-frame is bleedin' likely to have a barrel that was torqued in until the frame sang like a tuning fork and is just waiting to let go at the barrel shank.

Dagga Boy
08-30-2016, 09:31 PM
To be fair, the later 12-2s were better than the earlier ones. Heck, that went for all alloy-frame Smiths, K- and J- alike.

The first ones, Smith was pretty much making it up as they went along, and a flat latch J-frame is bleedin' likely to have a barrel that was torqued in until the frame sang like a tuning fork and is just waiting to let go at the barrel shank.

When I bought my flat latch Model 38 that was the first thing they said at the gun shop...."hey, it's frame isn't cracked, so it's rare". It was a joke, but funny because of the truth involved.

I was heavy into 3" guns and didn't really appreciate the 2" K frames until recently. The 3" guns are great shooters, but for what I want a revolver for these days, the 2" make more sense.

KevH
08-31-2016, 01:29 AM
Mine is a 12-2. I wouldn't buy one of the earlier ones, especially with the aluminum cylinder. There are several 12-2's floating around the armory at my PD that have been in service 40+ years and have been shot and abused quite a bit. These guns were designed for 158 gr ammo. Lots of folks wanted to shoot 125 +P and 110 +P+ through these which the guns weren't designed for and they experienced flame cutting and frame stretch. Shoot 158 gr through it and they'll be fine.

Dagga Boy
08-31-2016, 09:22 AM
These are two of my favorite things for concealable close range fighting stuff. Both work well if wrapped up. After taking Cecil Burch's class, I could see this as a near ideal combo in the situations Cecil deals with in IAJ.

Poconnor
08-31-2016, 09:32 AM
Nice combo. I wish safariland made the model 27 holster for k frames

Cecil Burch
08-31-2016, 12:24 PM
These are two of my favorite things for concealable close range fighting stuff. Both work well if wrapped up. After taking Cecil Burch's class, I could see this as a near ideal combo in the situations Cecil deals with in IAJ.

That is awesome.

Tamara
08-31-2016, 01:19 PM
When I bought my flat latch Model 38 that was the first thing they said at the gun shop...."hey, it's frame isn't cracked, so it's rare".

So, this one time at Coal Creek Armory...

Old guy once brought a flat latch 38...it's been a while, it might have even been a pre-38...into the shop. He'd had it since new, just sitting there, pretty much unfired. He wasn't a gun guy, but he was retired and worried about crime, and he had this gun, and so he came in and signed up for our toter's permit class. He checked the gun in to have a trigger job done, because the DA on the thing was pretty beastly. Bob did his juju on the trigger and then took it out on the range to put a cylinder full of mouse fart wadcutters through it to make sure it was still busting caps.

Bob came back off the range and into the shop with a look on his face like he'd just accidentally run over some kid's puppy. The Bodyguard's frame was cracked through at the barrel shank. We all stood around goggling at the thing in mute horror, kinda heartsick that this fifty+ year-old revolver had been effectively totalled. We called Smith to see what they could do. They had us send it in and replaced it with a brand new 638. Customer was tickled pink. I'm just glad he was happy. :(

Dagga Boy
08-31-2016, 02:39 PM
Yea, with my love of the Bodyguards, I have a bunch. The Pre 38 and Flat latch get shot exactly Zero. The later stainless ones are pure joy, and my 638-5 2.25" with gorgeous Bodyguard specific Spegel Boot grips is in the favorite things category.

fatdog
08-31-2016, 03:08 PM
...cracked through at the barrel shank. ... We called Smith to see what they could do. They had us send it in and replaced it with a brand new 638. (

This was the story of my pawn shop found "042" back in the late 90's and I wrecked it with standard pressure loads, cracked at the forcing cone... the 442 replacement they sent made me cry since I knew what was lost, but it was all my fault....

Lex Luthier
09-01-2016, 12:51 PM

What are details on the revolver and knife? If I were to pick from a catalog of "stuff to carry that appeals to me right this minute", this might be one of the first choices.

Dagga Boy
09-01-2016, 02:20 PM
What are details on the revolver and knife? If I were to pick from a catalog of "stuff to carry that appeals to me right this minute", this might be one of the first choices.

S&W model 64-2 2" with a factory bobbed hammer. Uncle Mike's boot grips. Knife is a one off custom Joe Watson HiTS knife that was going to be the "Military" model grind (double edge).

Lex Luthier
09-01-2016, 02:36 PM
Thanks! I thought that hammer looked like one of the factory jobs. Not many 'smiths cut that concave into the bobbed part It has some serrations on the top edge of the hammer, right?

I will be looking into one of these- K-frames just fit my hand so much better than a J-frame.

And the knife is handsome, in a black-hearted, purposeful way. "I don't hate you- but I will cut you."

Wondering Beard
09-01-2016, 04:02 PM
Knife is a one off custom Joe Watson HiTS knife that was going to be the "Military" model grind (double edge).

I thought it was the Stealth variation of the HiTS; I didn't know there was going to be a 'military model'. Neat :-)

Dagga Boy
09-01-2016, 04:19 PM
I thought it was the Stealth variation of the HiTS; I didn't know there was going to be a 'military model'. Neat :-)

Basically...."yes"

Wondering Beard
09-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Basically? You've got me curious.

Because I like the Stealth and the 442 is my only revolver, and reasons:

Imaposer2
09-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Hmmmm...

I've seen quite a few of these at LGSs and gun shows over the years and never gave them much thought, just thinking that if I were going to carry a snub I'd stick with the J for the smaller size. But after reading the comments in this thread I'm now thinking that I'll be on the lookout for a 64 snub. The Ks are my favorite handguns to shoot afterall and now I'll have an excuse to pick up another one... :cool:

What holster is that? How does it carry and conceal for you? If I do pick up a snubbie K I will be needing an effective AIWB holster for it.

Lyonsgrid
09-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Hmmmm...
What holster is that? How does it carry and conceal for you? If I do pick up a snubbie K I will be needing an effective AIWB holster for it.

JM Custom Kydex. It's built with a little extra length to keep it from rolling. Very solid gear.

LSP972
09-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Can you tilt that holster forward a bit?

I had this made a while back. The 242 fits fine in it, but the holster just doesn't get it in terms of suitable 3 o'clock carry:

Its too "low", for one thing.

Dagga Boy
09-01-2016, 10:29 PM
I think you need to trade that to me for a D frame Colt....that way you won't need to worry about a new holster.

Imaposer2
09-02-2016, 07:24 AM
JM Custom Kydex. It's built with a little extra length to keep it from rolling. Very solid gear.

Thanks for the info and the pic. So, I guess that would work out great then. I've always wanted a 3" M65, or M64 and if I ever get lucky enough to stumble upon one for a reasonable price I'll pick it up. So, I suppose the thing to do would be to get a holster for a 3" and it would work with a 2" since I tend to see those a little more frequently. I REALLY do want a 3" though.... Still kicking myself for not buying more revolvers back in the day when police trade-ins were plentiful and cheap.... :(

Lon
09-02-2016, 07:28 AM
There's a 242 on GB right now if anyone is interested.

LSP972
09-02-2016, 02:51 PM
There are three, actually. One dipstick has an alleged NIB example that he wants two grand for. I don't think he gets it.

LSP972
09-02-2016, 02:56 PM
I think you need to trade that to me for a D frame Colt....that way you won't need to worry about a new holster.

Not worried; would rather tote the M-12 per standards (IOW, right side carry, IWB or OWB) anyway. The 242 will make a good keep-in-the-jacket-pocket launcher when its cold enough to WEAR a jacket down here.

Dagga Boy
09-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Not worried; would rather tote the M-12 per standards (IOW, right side carry, IWB or OWB) anyway. The 242 will make a good keep-in-the-jacket-pocket launcher when its cold enough to WEAR a jacket down here.

So you want to trade for my model 12? That will work too.

Tamara
09-02-2016, 03:55 PM

I would absolutely swap my '66-vintage 12-2 snubby for a 242. They can clip a corner off my SWCA card if they want.

Dagga Boy
09-02-2016, 06:27 PM
I would absolutely swap my '66-vintage 12-2 snubby for a 242. They can clip a corner off my SWCA card if they want.

I called it first.

serialsolver
09-02-2016, 06:32 PM

Isn't there some kind of exemptions for that kind of trade? I mean it's not like passing on a 646, I mean, one would have to go into hiding after that blunder, i mean so I've heard. Ya know, a guy I know did that...

Tamara
09-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Isn't there some kind of exemptions for that kind of trade? I mean it's not like passing on a 646, I mean, one would have to go into hiding after that blunder, i mean so I've heard. Ya know, a guy I know did that...

I had a 646 (not the PC one) and sold it some six or seven years ago. Am I going to be physically ill if I go look them up on Gunbroker?

Edited to add: JESUS CHRIST ON A TURBOCHARGED CRUTCH! (http://www.gunbroker.com/item/581172649) :eek:

Tamara
09-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Those non-PC 646's were built out of leftover parts (NOS no-lock L-frame frames) and wholesalers couldn't move them. I ordered three (one for stock, one for myself, and one for Marko) when I was working at Randy's Guns & Knives back in Knoxville. I don't remember what wholesale was, but retail was barely over four bills and cheaper than the cheapest new 686 by almost a hundred bucks.

LSP972
09-02-2016, 08:55 PM

Shame on you, you Philistine. You know I already have one, and are just trying to take advantage of my weakness.

Let me think about it...

serialsolver
09-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Yeah I'm....., um, I mean my friend is feeling real bad about passing on that one. It couldabeen had for between six or seven bills. Not my....., um his brighter moments.

LSP972
09-02-2016, 10:06 PM
I called it first.

PM inbound.

Dagga Boy
09-02-2016, 10:28 PM
Those non-PC 646's were built out of leftover parts (NOS no-lock L-frame frames) and wholesalers couldn't move them. I ordered three (one for stock, one for myself, and one for Marko) when I was working at Randy's Guns & Knives back in Knoxville. I don't remember what wholesale was, but retail was barely over four bills and cheaper than the cheapest new 686 by almost a hundred bucks.

I don't care. Didn't want one then, don't want one now. If I fell into one it would get flipped at super sonic speed.

Tamara
09-03-2016, 05:45 AM
I don't care. Didn't want one then, don't want one now. If I fell into one it would get flipped at super sonic speed.

Oh, it was a fun diversion for a little while, but I didn't miss it a bit when I started divesting myself of newer soulless steel Smiths except for a bare handful of working guns.

My shock was more at how much I could get for it if I sold it now as opposed to '08. :D

Hambo
09-03-2016, 06:00 AM
My shock was more at how much I could ASK for it if I sold it now as opposed to '08. :D

FIFY. GunBroker hasn't crashed due to the number of bids.

SD
09-03-2016, 08:27 AM
My Model 10, I don't enjoy carrying as much as a 60. Thinking of flipping this one to generate funds for a 4" Pro 60. Also want to see if my photo is going to load upside down, I went old school for this one and found a [I]camera[I].10276

Lon
09-03-2016, 10:53 AM
I've been eyeballing a 2" 15-4. It's in good shape. They want $550. By the time I pay shipping and transfer it'll be @$600-625. Too much? Not too many around that I can find.

Tamara
09-03-2016, 12:12 PM
I've been eyeballing a 2" 15-4. It's in good shape. They want $550. By the time I pay shipping and transfer it'll be @$600-625. Too much? Not too many around that I can find.

Finding a nice 15 for under five bills is like winning a prize these days. :(

serialsolver
09-03-2016, 12:26 PM
I need a 2 in m10 cause I got these just laying around.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/serialsolver/89C081EF-B353-4EE0-9AD3-1F218B879234_zpsdrstxbw5.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/serialsolver/media/89C081EF-B353-4EE0-9AD3-1F218B879234_zpsdrstxbw5.jpg.html)

Totem Polar
09-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Not much to add. I'll just throw a pic of a 12-3 up here, to go with the one I posted of a 36-1 earlier...

OlongJohnson
09-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Anybody like Miculek stocks on a K snubby? They are slim and smooth and not sticky. Seems like they'd be decent for what these little Ks get used for.

Tamara
09-08-2016, 09:50 AM

That double-action shooting to the upper A at ten yards was probably a little ambitious in retrospect... :o

SD
09-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Couple of K's & a J.10604

Lon
09-23-2016, 07:10 PM
So today I found a gunbroker auction on a Model 10 with 16 minutes left and only 1 bid. On a whim I put a bid in and ended up with everything in the picture for $355 plus shipping. I figure I can sell the fancy grips and holsters for @$75 (total) so in the end I should have less than $300 in it.

Totem Polar
09-23-2016, 10:20 PM
^^^Nice looking model 10, congrats! Are you going to be selling the grips that are on it now? Let me know; I was just looking at the same set new the other day...

Oh, and for those wanting a 242:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/586299007

Lon
09-23-2016, 10:39 PM
I am. Pm en route.

deputyG23
09-24-2016, 06:00 AM
You did well. Beat up four inch HB M10s sell for what you paid or more here in VA.

The Apprentice
10-16-2016, 01:49 PM
Traded for this one today.11169

Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet but it feels great. Threw some snap caps in it and can't stop dry firing. Came with these target rounds that I have never seen before. They use a primer to fire a plastic plug I sure they are a modern day lawyer's nightmare. Any other info on them would be welcome. I'm also looking for some suggestions on different grips I think I would like something like the Uncle Mike's Boot grips.

Wondering Beard
10-16-2016, 04:44 PM
Uncle Mike's boot grips were the rubber copy of Spegels wooden Boot grips which, going by the photo, is what you already have on.

P.S. great looking snubby.

Al T.
10-16-2016, 05:06 PM
Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet but it feels great.

If you haven't shot a 2 inch K frame before, you'll be very pleasantly surprised. :)

Chuck Whitlock
10-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Came with these target rounds that I have never seen before. They use a primer to fire a plastic plug I sure they are a modern day lawyer's nightmare. Any other info on them would be welcome.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/plastic_training_bullets.aspx

The Apprentice
10-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Thanks I'm really suprized to see these still made figured they would have gone the way of the lawn dart after someone shot someone else caused an injury and said they're just plastic.

Lost River
10-17-2016, 09:54 PM
Thanks I'm really suprized to see these still made figured they would have gone the way of the lawn dart after someone shot someone else caused an injury and said they're just plastic.

They are fun as hell to shoot spiders with, in the house!

I freaked the wife out one time, with the .45ACP version.

I dropped by the house in the middle of a patrol shift many years ago. The bride asked me to kill a big spider. I said "ok, in a minute". I went into my reloading room, cleared my Glock 21, and stuck a primer powered .45 brass w/Speer plastic projectile in the chamber.

I walked back out into the kitchen, living room area, and purposely fiddled around, until she asked me again to kill the big ugly spider. I said, "Oh Fine!", pulled my Glock .45 from my duty rig and watched as her eyes widened in astonishment. She was right in the middle of saying "NO!" when I cracked off the plastic round, killing the spider.

I think the term of endearment she used was something to the effect of "You are and A-hole!". :)

I thought it was funny. :) She did too, Later..

It should be noted that they will put dents in drywall..

Chuck Whitlock
10-18-2016, 11:23 AM
The first time I ever "fired" a handgun was in an uncle's garage with these in his .357 Blackhawk. I was hooked.

I once bought some and borrowed an off-brand .38 snub from a friend, thinking that I could deter strange dogs from the female we had that was in heat, without really injuring them. Unfortunately, I had a brain fart and accidentally bought magnum primers, which the little Charter/Rossi wasn't up to busting. The thought was to give a sharp pain without any real penetration. Looking at the velocity #s, maybe it wasn't a good idea anyway.

LSP972
10-18-2016, 02:26 PM
Unfortunately, I had a brain fart and accidentally bought magnum primers,

I did the same thing... and my uncle's 4" M-19 had no problems lighting them. That plastic WC bullet punched right through the rubber flap and 1X2 boards I was using for a backstop, and cut a small chunk of brick out of our house. The old man was highly pissed; the only reason I didn't tote an ass-whipping on that was the fact that I was home on leave, and in most excellent shape...;)

SeriousStudent
10-18-2016, 06:51 PM
I have a set of those Speer plastic shells and rubber bullets. I had them at the recent Revolver Seminar in my range case, but forgot about breaking them out.

I got them from Midway on a lark, to bring an order high enough to get free shipping.

LSP972
10-18-2016, 07:39 PM
The bullets are rubber now? They used to be the same plastic as the cases.

Just checked... they are still the same plastic type (which I still have some of; Lord, those are at least 40 years old!).

SeriousStudent
10-18-2016, 08:39 PM
Let me go look, I'll post some crappy cell phone pics.

I wanted to get them to shoot at mice in the back yard with my British neighbors.

SLG
10-18-2016, 08:52 PM
The reviews on midway are terrible...though some of them are using all sorts of stuff...

LSP972
10-18-2016, 08:56 PM
I wanted to get them to shoot at mice in the back yard with my British neighbors.

If you have access to a .22 pistol, buy some CB Caps. Same noise, generally better accuracy (if the handgun is worth a shit). You'll only get single shot in a bottom feeder, but they work great in revolvers. Just don't don't use a real long barrel.

SeriousStudent
10-18-2016, 09:00 PM
LSP972 was correct (of course). I was thinking of some of the other projectiles I bought to use with the Speer cases.

The Speer projectiles are clearly labeled as plastic, and I got them confused with the X-ring ones I bought.

My apologies for the confusion. I used a Model 64-2 as a prop, to hopefully atone for my poor memory.

SeriousStudent
10-18-2016, 09:13 PM
If you have access to a .22 pistol, buy some CB Caps. Same noise, generally better accuracy (if the handgun is worth a shit). You'll only get single shot in a bottom feeder, but they work great in revolvers. Just don't don't use a real long barrel.

I may try that. I have a S&W 43c, but it has the same heavy trigger as the rest of it's kin.

I have been eyeing a Ruger Bearcat, however.......

Malamute
10-18-2016, 09:50 PM
I may try that. I have a S&W 43c, but it has the same heavy trigger as the rest of it's kin.

CBs work outstandingly well in K-22s. Have murdered scads of mice, pack rats and squirrels with mine.

SeriousStudent
10-18-2016, 10:59 PM
I would love a K-22.

I do have a hankering for a single-action rimfire. A buddy's 10-year-old son loves cowboy stuff, and I've got a .22 Henry on the way as well. He's a good kid, and I know he'd enjoy the Ruger.

entropy
10-19-2016, 01:01 AM
Let me go look, I'll post some crappy cell phone pics.

Splendid idea! Take them out in the garden, give them some cartridges, explain the cylinder rotates anti-clockwise, and Bob's your uncle!

LSP972
10-19-2016, 05:13 PM

Bofus... that's coon-ass for "both of us".;)

The current production examples are quit nice, and not overly priced. Unless you WANT a K-22, I'd definitely get the BearCat for this sort of work.

SeriousStudent
10-19-2016, 07:12 PM
Splendid idea! Take them out in the garden, give them some cartridges, explain the cylinder rotates anti-clockwise, and Bob's your uncle!

The poor fellow had never even held a firearm before in his life.

His wife has taken to guns and Bourbon like she was born here. She is now quite fond of our state, admitting that "you colonists do prove useful at times."

SeriousStudent
10-19-2016, 07:15 PM
Bofus... that's coon-ass for "both of us".;)

The current production examples are quit nice, and not overly priced. Unless you WANT a K-22, I'd definitely get the BearCat for this sort of work.

Thank you, kind sir. I always value your opinion, and shall acquire one.

The young lad is quite a good young man, and wishes to be a Marine Osprey pilot when he grows up. So we are starting him early on aircraft and firearms. :)

Cecil Burch
10-20-2016, 12:53 PM
11203[/ATTACH]

My apologies for the confusion. I used a Model 64-2 as a prop, to hopefully atone for my poor memory.

I know that gun :)

mmc45414
10-23-2016, 08:36 AM

Back to the revolver, is this actually a M15, old enough to have a pinned barrel, with target hammer and trigger, and a round butt?

LSP972
10-26-2016, 10:19 PM
Back to the revolver, is this actually a M15, old enough to have a pinned barrel, with target hammer and trigger, and a round butt?

Probably, although I've never known about a 2" M-15 with a round butt. But the factory has put out some stuff that never saw a catalog... so I'd say its either a re-do by somebody, or a not-so-common example. If you're willing to cough up fifty or so bucks, a letter to the factory will let you know for sure.

It also appears to have the "ranger trigger", which appeared first on the factory Texas Ranger Commemrative (sp?) M-66, in the 80s. This trigger was neither fish nor fowl. It was almost exactly halfway of the thickness between a skinny standard trigger, and the wide-as-hell "target" trigger on the high-end offerings... both K and N frames. The big thing that electrified the average S&W fan was that the ranger trigger was SMOOTH. The others were grooved, and could wear out your forefinger in rather short order. And, in fact, for the nimrod/recreational shooter, it was indeed a very nice trigger. Serious combat shooters since Ed McGivern have known that if you plan to shoot all trigger-cocking, get yourself a SKINNY trigger and smooth that puppy up.

Anyway, sorry for the sidebar...

Al T.
10-27-2016, 05:56 AM
But the factory has put out some stuff that never saw a catalog

Have had the opportunity to yak with Charlie Petty a couple of times over the years. One thing he was fond of saying was that "with S&W, "always and never" are not words that should be used with their handguns, cause sure as hell, some dude in the back room thought a .22LR N frame would be "neat"".

The Apprentice
10-27-2016, 04:28 PM

As fare as I can tell it is marked 15-3 and was shipped in 1970. The trigger is wide and grooved got out to the range and shoot it last weekend it was fun. I have no idea if it is something special or some pieced together gunsmith special. It does seam to have had some work done unless they chamfered the cylinders back then. Its older than I am so I'm more than happy to learn from my elders especially guys who used to work with them.

mmc45414
10-27-2016, 05:37 PM
Probably, although I've never known about a 2" M-15 with a round butt. But the factory has put out some stuff that never saw a catalog... so I'd say its either a re-do by somebody, or a not-so-common example.

Yup, I was always puzzled that the M-19 had the round butt but the M-15 had the square, even with the shorter barrel, even though I believe the frame window is identical? What a cool gun, especially if it were an early distributor special.