PDA

View Full Version : Randy Lee's dissertation on erratic ejection and extraction in the Gen 4 Glock 9mm

Savage Hands
11-11-2011, 08:27 AM
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92447

Hi all,

I first became involved in working on Glock pistols back in 1998. The one thing that I notice after firing the G24,22,19 and 17 pistols, was that although the guns functioned, ejection patterns were wildly inconsistent. Brass was hitting my head, going completely vertical, off to the left, and many just off my right shoulder at about 5:30 if you viewed everything from above the gun (muzzle being the 12:00). I was told that the problem was caused by "limp wristing", projectile dysfunction, low testosterone and a myriad of other reasons that did not sit well with my mind.

In talking with Jeff Gonzales many moons ago, the phenomenon called the horizontal stovepipe also seemed more common in the Glock pistol than other service pistols that we were both familiar with. After having experiencing a few firsthand in G22s and a couple of 9mms, the data was stored away for some 8 or so years as I had sold my Glocks in search of greener pastures.

For the past month, I have been scanning various forums and youtube videos documenting such issues, and people's attempts at resolving the problems they have been experiencing. I was looking for some logical pattern in the "If I change part A, the benefit was always X" Ditto with parts B and C. What I have concluded is that while changing the RSA helped for some, it does not help in all cases. The same is true with replacing just the extractor or just the ejector. In almost all of the videos I watched, the single part replacement provided no improvement (unless the problem was failure to extract, in which case replacing the extractor usually helped).

So what is the root cause of the problem Mr. Randy Fancypants Know-it -all? To put it quite simply, the ejection port horizontal wall is too tall, and the cases are hitting the vertical inside wall instead of being guided out by the exit ramp cut. I will try to explain what I am seeing a bit further down in this post.

This is why just changing the RSA or Extractor or Ejector by themselves only helps in some cases, but not in others. Each gun is different and each shooter is different. So results can vary based upon how an individual absorbs recoil forces as well as manufacturing tolerances for the particular gun. Below are some rules of thumb that can help with diagnosing and isolating a particular problem:

Recoil Spring Assembly(RSA)
As long as the slide will lock to the rear while shooting with your non-dominant hand with moderate to light grip pressure, the RSA is not the cause of erratic ejection, stovepipes or failures to extract. I say this because if there is enough energy to lock the slide to the rear once the last round is fired, there is enough force generated to reliably kick the spent case out of a properly set up ejection port and feed another round when a full magazine is used. This of course implies that the loads being shot are of sufficient quality and power to reliably cycle the pistol. Faster slide velocity rearwards can help ejection by causing a more forceful impact of the case against the ejector tip. But in many of the guns I have inspected, it just meant the brass hits your face harder.

Extractor
The Gen 4 extractors I have seen have a secondary angle on the hook that is not present on the older extractors. My assumption (I have not spoken to any of the engineers at Glock) is that the secondary angle allows for less resistance against the feeding case as it slides up underneath the extractor hook. As the cartridge begins its entrance into the chamber throat, the back of the case must change from a point contact (12:00 position of the case head) to flush and parallel with the breechface. The new extractor angle helps with this aspect, but can lead to other problems during the extraction phase.

As the barrel unlocks and ramps downward it impacts the locking insert in the frame. The barrel essentially bounces. Add this force to the torque forces imparted by the rifling and there can be enough transmitted shock to bump the extractor claw as it tries to pull the spent case from the chamber. The secondary angle on the Gen 4 extractor while making it easier for the case to slip up and under the hook during feeding, now applies force to the case rim by pushing it down and away from the optimal contact point making it easier for the case to slip away from the claw.

The earlier extractor versions and I assume aftermarket extractors have claws that are parallel with the side wall of the breech face. This means that the ejector is nearly always applying a force that is perpendicular to the breech side wall, and at the 3:00 position of the case no matter how low the case travels down the breech face during extraction and ejection.

Ejector
Until recently, the Gen 4 9mms were shipping out with the #336 ejector. I believe the instructors at the Rogers Shooting School found that by altering the ejector position and possibly length, they were able to minimize many of the stoppages. I have heard of others attempting to do the same with mixed results.
The new ejectors that Glock is installing as an in-house service essentially alters the exit angle of the case trajectory. By changing the location and dimensions of the ejector tip, the contact point is now at about 7:00. This makes the ejection angle steeper and will hopefully clear the inner sidewall of the slide that is vertical. If executed correctly, the brass flight path should be roughly a high arc at about 3:00 to the shooter (I don't have one of the guns with the new ejector, so I cannot confirm this).

What is happening in my stock Gen 4???
For the sake of argument, let's say have just pressed the trigger on my Gen 4 box stock new model 19. I am using Winchester White box ammunition. The gun discharges and the bullet leaves the barrel. The barrel unlocks from the slide and bounces against the locking insert. Now, because I am using ammo that I know has a shallower extractor cut, the Gen 4 extractor overrides the case rim for reasons discussed above. Failure to extract leaves me with a double feed. I clear the stoppage and get back to shooting as usual.

I press the trigger again, and the gun discharges. This time the bounce of the barrel does not cause the extractor claw to override the case rim. The case extracts from the chamber and hits the #336 ejector tip. As the slide moves rearward, the front of the case impacts the inner vertical sidewall of the slide. Because of the less that optimal dimensions of the brass, and the secondary angle cut on the extractor, the case is released from the extractor prematurely and is floating in space as the slide moves rearward, and the next round begins to rise in the magazine. The upcoming cartridge contacts the free floating brass and lifts it vertically in the ejection port. The slide has already stopped rearward travel and is now moving forward. Without any other forces acting on the spent case, the slide closes on the hovering brass. The result is a horizontal stovepipe where the case mouth is wedged between the hood of the barrel and the back of the breech face. Tap roll rack and I am back to business as usual.

I press the trigger a few more times, and the gun cycles reliably, but brass hits my left arm, the rim of my hat, over my right shoulder. The last round hits the underside of my hat rim and decisively wedges between my eyebrows and safety glasses. After my well selected curse words and putting the gun down in a safe direction, I dislodge the still sizzling empty case from my glasses to the aroma of burning hair and skin...

Does any of this sound familiar?

Possible solutions?
Our solution is to lower the ejection port, and change the ramp out angle to a 45 degree rather than the steeper factory angle. I designed our barstock extractor and it is in the testing phase.
I also have a prototype ejector.

Magsz donated his problematic Gen 4 19 which I believed he called Satan spawn. Most of our testing has been with Winchester ammunition. The gun was tested before modification and as each new component came online. The lowering of the ejection port was the last operation, as from prior work on competition Glocks I knew would have the greatest impact.

With the lowered ejection port, our extractor and the prototype ejector 400 rounds have been fired without incident, and the ejection is consistent at the 3:00 position regardless of who was shooting the gun.

Today I swapped out the proto ejector and reinstalled the #336 factory part. The result was the same- consistent extraction and ejection being at 3:00 for all three shooters (two left handed shooters and myself) We shot the gun one handed, right and left hands, limp wristed, no pinky support, thumb and middle finger only grip as well as freestyle for 150 rounds.
The brass ejected at 3:00 to the shooter's right side regardless of shooting style or grip strength. NONE, I repeat NONE of the shooters had brass come near their head!

Earlier in this post, I wrote about the accusation of limp wristing being the cause of my problems. I believe that I have confirmed (at least for myself) that it is a fallacy. Properly set up, as long as there is at least 20 pounds behind the gun, a properly designed and executed gun should function, extract and eject without fear of stovepipe or brass hitting the operator.

The downfall of this is that in milling the slide, you void the warranty on your Glock. Ultimately, it is up to you the owner to decide whether it is an acceptable risk.

Until Glock takes a serious look at the ejection port geometry, I fear that problems will plague the Gen 4 guns no matter how many changes to the ejectors and RSAs they make.

Thank you for reading this, and as always, I could be wrong...

-Randy

JHC
11-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Super interesting. And Randy came across the ejection port factor long before Gen 4's came along; which makes sense as all my dozen or so Glocks of Gen's 2,3,4 have displayed some degree of erratic ejection paths while functioning great without stoppage. Some factors of the Gen 4's - maybe SF frame dimensions for and aft may aggravate things. Fascinating.

GJM
11-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Super interesting. And Randy came across the ejection port factor long before Gen 4's came along; which makes sense as all my dozen or so Glocks of Gen's 2,3,4 have displayed some degree of erratic ejection paths while functioning great without stoppage. Some factors of the Gen 4's - maybe SF frame dimensions for and aft may aggravate things. Fascinating.

Fascinating? I was thinking of another F word .... frustrating.

JHC
11-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Fascinating? I was thinking of another F word .... frustrating.

LOL good point. Being that our four Gen 4s and recent prod Gen 3's all run like Glocks of lore out of the box, that probably makes me find this investigatin fascinating.

JodyH
11-11-2011, 01:15 PM
I would think some high speed photography would verify his hypothesis.
I know S&W used high speed photography in their attempts to diagnose the SW99 .40 feed/extract issues they were having a few years ago.

CK1
11-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Good read, but I don't agree at all that a new extractor or lowered ejection port will cure the gremlins...

Plain and simple: compared to Gen3's, the timing of the Gen4 guns is f'ed up.

Don't know if it's the newer more ridged polymer flexing less, the new RSA's flexing less, both, or the steeper angle on the connectors now, but the Gen4 guns unlock in a different way as compared to the older guns, and the old physics worked better than anything before it so I believe the physics aspect of the changes hold the answer.

FWIW, and with all do respect, without trying to start anything but wanting to speak the truth, Apex is only on the map for ripping off Burwell's M&P sear modification that was already out there for those who dared to try it, and just putting an aftermarket sear into production with Burwell's angles for the many guys out there who weren't prepared to alter their stock pistols doesn't quantify someone as any kind of gunsmithing authority. Yes, the RAM is their proprietary design, and it doesn't do much more than make the M&P's reset LOUDER. Good for them that they decided to manufacture Burwell's sear mod and have made a pretty good piece of change off that, but IMO this sounds like nothing other than a new part they're going to be selling, I don't think it's going to fix anything and the physics/engineering explanations are just not there; no math, talk of dwell time, cycle rate, recoil impulse, friction, spring rates, etc. (you know, actual mechanical engineering stuff), just guessing like everyone else.

Lowering ejection ports or reprofiling extractors has never been necasarry to do to a properly sprung Glock or stock one running normal pf ammo... a barstock extractor will no doubt sell, maybe fly out the door, but that's not it.

Really don't want to sound like a jerk but in sharing my opinion, my conscience is clear.

NickDrak
11-12-2011, 10:18 PM
FWIW, and with all do respect, without trying to start anything but wanting to speak the truth, Apex is only on the map for ripping off Burwell's M&P sear modification that was already out there for those who dared to try it, and just putting an aftermarket sear into production with Burwell's angles for the many guys out there who weren't prepared to alter their stock pistols doesn't quantify someone as any kind of gunsmithing authority. Yes, the RAM is their proprietary design, and it doesn't do much more than make the M&P's reset LOUDER. Good for them that they decided to manufacture Burwell's sear mod and have made a pretty good piece of change off that, but IMO this sounds like nothing other than a new part they're going to be selling, I don't think it's going to fix anything and the physics/engineering explanations are just not there; no math, talk of dwell time, cycle rate, recoil impulse, friction, spring rates, etc. (you know, actual mechanical engineering stuff), just guessing like everyone else.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion. People have been cutting on sears for decades to improve/lighten the triggers on their guns. Apex produced a product that is suitable for a carry gun and then took it to another level with their RAM & their trigger assembly. The extensive R&D they have done on the M&P platform is why they are on the map, not for ripping somebody's sear mod.

Glocks have shown erratic ejection patterns long before the Gen4 hit the market.

fuse
11-12-2011, 10:21 PM
a barstock extractor will no doubt sell, maybe fly out the door

I'll buy one, or four.

and there is nothing wrong with that. Lets face it, it will probably be a superior part.

I feel the same about the white sound defense HRED. I believe it to be a superior part, with a superior design. It has fixed two of my problematic glocks of recent manufacture, one gen3 and one gen4.

Savage Hands
11-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Just an FYI, that .pdf is supposedly (I'm not 100% sure but sure enough to say it) hosted by Burwell and made by someone else. Apex has been on the map for IRC Revolvers well before M&P's came out.

Edit: Burwell states it himself.

http://www.burwellguns.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

JodyH
11-13-2011, 09:53 AM
One point about lowering the ejection port on Glocks, that area is known as one of the Glock weak points and is already prone to cracking.
I don't think lowering it significantly is a good idea on guns that will see a high round count.

CK1
11-13-2011, 07:00 PM
I respect your responses to what I posted, yes, it's true Burwell never explicitly took the credit for that tutorial but his ambiguity also released him from liability so who really knows...

Apex's success with the M&P aftermarket stuff is not something I begrudge them for, I DO think it's disingenuous of them to act as though they came up with that M&P sear mod on their own and had somehow missed that tutorial that had been out there for a long time is all.

Really who cares... since Glock has decided to lower their products integrity by turning out shitty extractors and flawed pistol designs, I guess there is a place for whatever Apex wants to put out if it's superior to the parts Glock used to make correctly.

Still don't think any one part will fix a moody Gen4 pistol... aside from what it feels like, there is some high-speed footage out there of how the newer design cycles as compared to the Gen3 incarnation, and it's vastly different. On a good mechanical design that has only 30 parts or so, changing even 1 can compromise it, 3 different parts is a 10% change, seems Glock changed more than they should've IMO.

ToddG
11-13-2011, 09:30 PM
The tutorial on Burwell's site was done by someone who specifically (a) didn't want to be identified and (b) wanted the world to have the benefit of the technique. Dan Burwell, who makes his money by working on guns, offered to put that information out there even though it no doubt cost him business.

Magsz
11-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Little late to the party here but when i receive the pistol back i will be running 5k rounds through it as quickly as my schedule allows.

I will document my progress.

Planned ammunition is as follows:

WWB 115 grain
Federal champion 115 grain
Tula 115 grain
Wolf WPA 115 grain

I will also feed it as much 127 grain +P+ as i can find/afford.

I am trying to get my hands on a stock Gen 4 G19 as well so that i can compare ejection patterns on high speed video. Should be interesting to see how things have changed. Kinda a shame that i sent in my G19 instead of my G17. The G17 is worse than the G19 ever was. :)

JHC
11-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Little late to the party here but when i receive the pistol back i will be running 5k rounds through it as quickly as my schedule allows.

I will document my progress.

Planned ammunition is as follows:

WWB 115 grain
Federal champion 115 grain
Tula 115 grain
Wolf WPA 115 grain

I will also feed it as much 127 grain +P+ as i can find/afford.

I am trying to get my hands on a stock Gen 4 G19 as well so that i can compare ejection patterns on high speed video. Should be interesting to see how things have changed. Kinda a shame that i sent in my G19 instead of my G17. The G17 is worse than the G19 ever was. :)

I really appreciate the data points you and Randy Lee are adding to the discussion. We've got two stock Gen 4 G19s here (north Georgia) - except for minus connectors and they're both original 0-3 RSA. They both have a lot of trouble free rounds and don't even display weird ejection very often. Have any pictures of your lowered ejection port gone up on line yet?

Thanks

Magsz
11-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Negative on the pictures.

There will be a ton of high res pictures posted once the gun is back in my grubby mitts.

I appreciate YOUR data points. You are my counter point in this entire generation 4 discussion in so much as you are proof that there ARE pistols out there that work.

I think what we are seeing though is that there is a threshold so to speak for acceptable reliability and some pistols are BARELY skating by but when they do make it past that margin, they work well.

This is a primo example of tolerance stack at work.

JHC
11-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Negative on the pictures.

There will be a ton of high res pictures posted once the gun is back in my grubby mitts.

I appreciate YOUR data points. You are my counter point in this entire generation 4 discussion in so much as you are proof that there ARE pistols out there that work.

I think what we are seeing though is that there is a threshold so to speak for acceptable reliability and some pistols are BARELY skating by but when they do make it past that margin, they work well.

This is a primo example of tolerance stack at work.

Randy's theories of why some guns run are as useful (to me anyway) as the discoveries about those that don't.

Randy Lee
11-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi all,

Since the topic of debate is what I wrote, I figured I'd chime in. First, while this thread isn't about the M&P nor how my company got to where it is today, I do feel the need to let people know exactly how our standard sear came about. Let me be clear, that the sear I designed did not evolve from seeing the tutorial hosted on Dan's site. The design arose from a conversation I had with Jerry Miculek at the 2008 Steel Challenge and his suggestion to make a sear. That was the discussion that precipitated the first sear. Due to the design of the M&P trigger system, there are only so many ways to reduce over travel and weight of pull without negatively affecting the safety margins. Our part simply allowed people the option to replace their sear with a machined part rather than filing or grinding on a factory MIM version. Since the PC versions were not available to the general public, we were able to provide something close.

Back to the thread at hand...

Erratic ejection has always been something I have attributed to the Glock since I first shot one back in the late 80s. In fact, the first rounds I fired hit me in the head. When I began working on competition Glocks, one of the most common problems I addressed was the ejection. That is why I began lowering the ports and changing the ramp-out angle. What I found was that not only did the ejection pattern become much more consistent, but the the horizontal stovepipes disappeared.

Eventually we will get some hi speed video of a stock pistol to see what is happening. But from the markings on the brass, those on the ejection port wall, and those on the left wall of the slide and from my previous experiences, I believe that I am right (for once).
While lowering the ejection port is not the preferred course of action, it does solve a lot of the problems.

The extractor by itself won't cure all the woes, just as only replacing the RSA did not . As I tell people who ask about our M&P extractor- If your gun is not having extraction issues, there really is no need to replace it. The same applies here.
I will be sending Magsz pistol out for him to abuse after Thanksgiving. Magsz elected to be our Guinea Pig, so his gun has the first prototype extractor. The thing I admire and respect about Magsz is that he tells the whole story- the good, the bad and the ugly. If my solution is to hold water, it has work regardless of who is shooting the gun.

-Randy

Savage Hands
11-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the board Randy!

Savage Hands
12-02-2011, 12:03 AM

EVP
12-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Sweet, it's pretty cool to see Randy and Apex design and produce these quality parts to provide solutions to some of the issues that people are experiencing.

I have not needed or bought any of Apex's parts but I'll admit that I just find it cool and interesting to see these new projects being developed. :cool: