PDA

View Full Version : Shout out to Benchmade customer service

LockedBreech
08-19-2016, 12:20 PM
So, it had been about two years since I sent my trust mini-Grip in for Lifesharp, so I sent it in two weeks ago. It was in bad shape, so dull you could poke yourself pretty hard without drawing blood, and the belt clip was bent up and scratched from a party about a year ago where I had a few too many and tried to open a beer with the clip.

I noted on the Lifesharp request that I apologized for the dismal shape of the knife and told the beer story, and asked them to bill me for anything that exceeded the parameters of the limited lifetime warranty.

Got the knife back about 10 days later, only the second time I've ever used the Lifesharp service, and it's so well maintained it literally looks new again. All the screws are new, new clip, they oiled and tuned it so well it opens like a silky whisper, and it's sharp as a tack.

They also included a cute little message about tossing in a little something to help me in the future.

It was a little Benchmade bottle opener.

I really like Benchmade's service.

Matthew
08-19-2016, 01:27 PM
I'm glad to hear this because I'm sending my Mini Grip in the next couple weeks.

JDM
08-19-2016, 02:28 PM
Just got a Griptillian back last week. The knife is as-new and fantastic.

ReverendMeat
08-19-2016, 03:44 PM
That's awesome. Benchmade is a great company to work with IME.

1slow
08-19-2016, 03:54 PM
I love my Benchmade Rukus, but when I emailed them about some clip screws I never heard back.

WOLFIE
10-20-2016, 07:28 PM
So, it had been about two years since I sent my trust mini-Grip in for Lifesharp, so I sent it in two weeks ago. It was in bad shape, so dull you could poke yourself pretty hard without drawing blood, and the belt clip was bent up and scratched from a party about a year ago where I had a few too many and tried to open a beer with the clip.

I noted on the Lifesharp request that I apologized for the dismal shape of the knife and told the beer story, and asked them to bill me for anything that exceeded the parameters of the limited lifetime warranty.

Got the knife back about 10 days later, only the second time I've ever used the Lifesharp service, and it's so well maintained it literally looks new again. All the screws are new, new clip, they oiled and tuned it so well it opens like a silky whisper, and it's sharp as a tack.

They also included a cute little message about tossing in a little something to help me in the future.

It was a little Benchmade bottle opener.

I really like Benchmade's service.

Awesome.

voodoo_man
10-20-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm a huge fan of benchmade...might even go back to carrying one...

LockedBreech
02-02-2017, 05:13 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170202/f7cf1d4591b71d2a663ff046effba0f3.jpg

Don't think I ever posted proof so here ya go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyotesfan97
02-02-2017, 05:22 PM
I've got to send my CQC7 in. Good reminder.

RJ
02-02-2017, 05:48 PM
Geez, I gotta tell my Benchmade Lifesharp story...

So, some of you may remember that the Karma thing around here kinda got helped out by LSP552 sending me (out of the blue) his Mini-Grip. Now, I disregarded it at the time, but he mentioned something about it being kinda sharp, and maybe nicking him...

So anyway, fast forward to a few months ago, and after carrying it for a while, thought I would send it off for the Benchmade Lifesharp service. Damn if it did not come back a few days later with a shaving sharp blade, very very nice.

I was convinced that they'd put the clip back on for right-handed folks, so, being me, I didn't think too much about it and absentmindedly swapped the clip "over" to the "correct" side (for me, being a lefty.)

Ok, you can see what's coming...

I am getting out of the truck at Lowe's, and realize I need to beep the locks. So I fish down into my cargo shorts for the keys, and get this feeling like I was shocked with electricity.

DAMMIT! I pull my dripping forefinger out of my pants, and run quickly to get my first aid kit. With one hand, I wrapped a 2 x 2 around my finger and got things calmed down, then strapped up some tape to it. Turns out if you clip to your pants and the clip is on the wrong side, it can auto-deploy on you. Whoops.

Took about 4 weeks to heal over and I have a nice scar for it.

I did swap the clip back over the "correct" side. :cool:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170202/b000f7eb8535ba42eae98f14cd9acce6.jpg

SecondsCount
02-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Benchmade has awesome customer service. My son, a guy I work with, and I threw our Benchmades in a box on Monday to go back for Lifesharp. Of course we all have backups until the primaries come back again :cool:

LockedBreech
02-02-2017, 06:19 PM
So I fish down into my cargo shorts for the keys, and get this feeling like I was shocked with electricity.

DAMMIT! I pull my dripping forefinger out of my pants, and run quickly to get my first aid kit.

I have a small scar on my left thumb from a Mini-Grip pocket reach, and another tiny scar on my right ring finger from the first meal I made with a set of Wusthof Classic cooking knives I got around the same time as my Mini-Grip. I'd only ever owned cheap knives and I had no appreciation for how effortlessly sharp high quality steel can cut. There's a Stephen King quote I read a few months ago in a short story collection that made me smile ruefully and rub my thumb's scar, a quote quite analogous to firearms safety: "You use the knife carefully, because you know it doesn't care who it cuts."

Gater
02-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Second all above--great service. They will also send you replacement pocket clips--highly recommend the deep carry clip from the 555-1, if you are Mini grip user. I mentioned in another thread (crappy pic below at link) that Benchmade agreed to add their G10 grips to my previously purchased custom S30V minigrip, which weren't available when I placed my original order. They aren't cheap, but are much nicer than the originals, and cheaper than some of the aftermarket options (and do not void warranty). They touched up the edge while they had it, and it is wicked sharp now. Only thing I'd note is that Benchmade does not sharpen serrations, per its website (Spyderco will under its warranty).

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16474-EDC-items-photo-thread/page67

LSP552
02-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Geez, I gotta tell my Benchmade Lifesharp story...

So, some of you may remember that the Karma thing around here kinda got helped out by LSP552 sending me (out of the blue) his Mini-Grip. Now, I disregarded it at the time, but he mentioned something about it being kinda sharp, and maybe nicking him...

So anyway, fast forward to a few months ago, and after carrying it for a while, thought I would send it off for the Benchmade Lifesharp service. Damn if it did not come back a few days later with a shaving sharp blade, very very nice.

I was convinced that they'd put the clip back on for right-handed folks, so, being me, I didn't think too much about it and absentmindedly swapped the clip "over" to the "correct" side (for me, being a lefty.)

Ok, you can see what's coming...

I am getting out of the truck at Lowe's, and realize I need to beep the locks. So I fish down into my cargo shorts for the keys, and get this feeling like I was shocked with electricity.

DAMMIT! I pull my dripping forefinger out of my pants, and run quickly to get my first aid kit. With one hand, I wrapped a 2 x 2 around my finger and got things calmed down, then strapped up some tape to it. Turns out if you clip to your pants and the clip is on the wrong side, it can auto-deploy on you. Whoops.

I did swap the clip back over the "correct" side. :cool:

Rich, that knife is bad juju.......I'm sorry.

Maybe gift it to someone you don't like. We KNOW they are going to get cut!

CS Tactical
02-02-2017, 08:40 PM
It's a monster, but I'm going to grab one of these Benchmade Contego's...

https://cdn.cohub.com/t/8/images/1503/benchmade-810-contego-tactical-folder.jpg

LockedBreech
02-02-2017, 09:14 PM
It's a monster, but I'm going to grab one of these Benchmade Contego's...

https://cdn.cohub.com/t/8/images/1503/benchmade-810-contego-tactical-folder.jpg

That was on my list as a survival/emergency kit bag knife for the car. Very nice.

Kanati
02-02-2017, 10:46 PM
I'm clearly a big fan of the 810, probably my favorite Benchmade. Love the ergos, fits me perfectly. The M4 is excellent steel, holds a nice edge for a good long while, and isn't a complete PIA to sharpen; I'd love to see more of it in their catalog. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170203/f4f380e67d820749bff5d926b926a4dc.jpg

RJ
02-03-2017, 07:22 AM
Rich, that knife is bad juju.......I'm sorry.

Maybe gift it to someone you don't like. We KNOW they are going to get cut!

Ha!

Actually I have carried the Mini Grip every day since you sent it. I ended up Karma-ing out my regular size Griptilian to another forum member.

On a serious note, thanks so much for this random act of kindness. What I think is really cool is that it created a culture of sharing here, and there is now a Karma section of the forum to support it.

CS Tactical
02-03-2017, 11:40 AM
I'm clearly a big fan of the 810, probably my favorite Benchmade. Love the ergos, fits me perfectly. The M4 is excellent steel, holds a nice edge for a good long while, and isn't a complete PIA to sharpen; I'd love to see more of it in their catalog. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170203/f4f380e67d820749bff5d926b926a4dc.jpg

So do I need the coated one? Or is it rust resistant enough to go with the naked steel?

RJ
02-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Technical question for you guys: Any issues in using some blue loctite on the three clip mounting torx screws?

My clip is kind of coming loose from time to time...I was thinking since I had the blue loctite, just a bit on each would set them in place more.

Thoughts?

Clusterfrack
02-03-2017, 12:34 PM
I've used blue loctite on clip screws on multiple folders. Only problem is you may need to heat the screws with a soldering iron to remove them without stripping the heads.

Kanati
02-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Yeah, blue loctite is AOK; I'll use a little bit on the pivot screw as well.

The coatings are no guarantee that rust won't happen. I had my partially serrated 810 (it's coated) in a box on my worktruck for a while and it started showing a few spots. Nothing serious, but it will happen. My satin finished 810 is in M390 and I don't have a whole lot of experience with that steel in the elements. I will say that it's my least favorite of my 810's. I think the heat treat wasn't great on that one, it's about impossible to get an edge on, and it doesn't stay at all. I've got another Benchmade in M390 and that one is fine.

CS Tactical
02-03-2017, 01:36 PM
The coatings are no guarantee that rust won't happen. I had my partially serrated 810 (it's coated) in a box on my worktruck for a while and it started showing a few spots. Nothing serious, but it will happen. My satin finished 810 is in M390 and I don't have a whole lot of experience with that steel in the elements. I will say that it's my least favorite of my 810's. I think the heat treat wasn't great on that one, it's about impossible to get an edge on, and it doesn't stay at all. I've got another Benchmade in M390 and that one is fine.

Thank you for the information, I've been debating on which finish to get when our sister company which is a new Benchmade Dealer gets them in :cool:

Mr. Goodtimes
02-03-2017, 08:00 PM
I've been meaning to send my 810 in for a cleanup, one of the springs broke in the locking mechanism and it needs a good sharpening. I've heard nothing but good things about Benchmade CS... you get what you pay for.

1911Nut
02-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Just noticed this thread. I had sent my Benchmade 709 in for a tuneup and sharpening about two weeks ago and just received a notice from them that it was on it's way back to me, with a delivery date of 2/7.

This is the second time I have returned this knife over a few years. The first time, the turnaround time was equally fast and the quality of service was outstanding.

Chuck Whitlock
02-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Technical question for you guys: Any issues in using some blue loctite on the three clip mounting torx screws?

My clip is kind of coming loose from time to time...I was thinking since I had the blue loctite, just a bit on each would set them in place more.

Thoughts?

Rich,
You can also use clear nail polish as a thread locker. It's cheap, not as messy, unaffected by heat, and your wife may have some on hand anyway.

11B10
02-16-2017, 06:01 PM
I sent my Griptilian in two weeks ago and today I received something I thought might be unusual, but certainly appreciated. Customer Service emailed me to inform me that this time of year is not the best for quick service, recommending from early May to early August for the fastest turnaround. This was not an apology or an excuse - indeed, none is needed as I should have my favorite blade back within 5 days. However, I will take their advice in the future.

ScotchMan
02-22-2017, 11:44 AM
Good to read all these positive experiences. I've been carrying a Triage lately but have been nervous about how I'm going to sharpen the safety cutter. I am pretty good at sharpening normal knives so I don't think I'd send in a knife just for that, but knowing the option is there to get the safety cutter reset to new is an option I'm happy to have.

eb07
02-22-2017, 12:09 PM
Benchmade is awesome. I lost my knife for 22 months in a wash on one of my properties and I found it. Cleaned and ran it for another 6 years then sent it out and it was serviced and returned under life-sharp free of charge.

The original story:

I bought my first Benchmade a 14200SBT in Early 2008. I became an axis lock fan boy and used it for everything and it became my daily carry.

I lost it October of 2008 in a desert wash on my 4 acre property when it came out of my pocket at night while we were having a party ( I had a huge fire pit in the yard and about 10 friends over).

I originally I though I lost it in the state trust land out in front of my house while quail hunting that evening before nightfall or maybe in the house itself. I had many whiskeys that night and my memory was foggy as was all the other attendees memories and a lot of speculation occurred as to where I might have lost it. It drove me nuts for two weeks.

I looked and looked finally giving up. Replacing it with a BM 530 and moving on.

There was a storm and flash floods went crazy one night in what they called a 20 year storm and and the wash on the property ran pretty deep... a couple of times. This happened September of 2009 over a year after I lost it:

http://i67.tinypic.com/2h2kv0h.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/w7yesj.jpg

I then bought another house an hour away in July of 2010 so I rented out that home to some close friends.

In August of 2010, 22 months after I lost it, I got a phone call from my friend stating they were walking the wash (above), saw a very small piece of metal sticking out (the pocket clip) and low and behold it was my lost Benchmade.

It was so caked with dirt and rocks it would not open. As you saw from above it was underwater. Not once but multiple times over the 22 months during the monsoons.

So I rinsed it off with soap and water, then tore it apart and cleaned it with steel wool and oiled it up and reassembled it. Put it on the sharpener and it was ready to go.

http://i63.tinypic.com/30vn48n.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/xn6cjo.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/ldxxj.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/24fld2q.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/k3m8oj.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/j604dy.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/jhucuu.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/9hmnh0.jpg

Some galvanic corrosion scars were all that's left of it's 22 month outdoor excursion. Thankfully I live in low humidity Arizona or it would have been a lot worse.

So here I am 8+ years later and going on the 6th anniversary of it's recovery and I just wanted to share it's story as I still carry and use it daily.

Props to Benchmade... 9 business days from when they received it until I got it back.

Replaced all parts and gave me a nice new low ride pocket clip

http://i67.tinypic.com/10qi2hs.jpg

It is my favorite knife and I will carry it for as long as I can. Love the axis lock

Nephrology
03-02-2017, 09:57 PM
Benchmade is awesome. A long time ago, my idiot roommate tried using my Griptilian to open oysters (she had no clue what an oyster knife is and assumed it was the same kind you use to cut things) and snapped off about 1cm of the tip. Benchmade reprofiled the blade, sharpened it, and sent it back to me free of charge. Incredible company. Sadly I lost that knife last year when I was helping my ex remodel her condo. No idea where it went... I'll have to get my hands on another FS grip one of these days.

CS Tactical
03-07-2017, 08:12 PM
This Benchmade Contego 810SBK is my first higher end Benchmade and I don't usually go with serrations but the blade is so long I said what the hell :cool:

Kanati
03-07-2017, 09:15 PM
This Benchmade Contego 810SBK is my first higher end Benchmade and I don't usually go with serrations but the blade is so long I said what the hell :cool:

Congrats!!!

okie john
03-07-2017, 09:35 PM
I had one of their liner lock models fail and nearly remove the tip of my finger, so I emailed them about it. Their response was basically, "Yeah, we want to see it. We know you'll never trust that one again, so pick one in that price range and it's yours for free." I went with a 940 Osborne and have carried it every day since.

My only beef with Benchmade is that they quit making the 750. It was essentially a $150 Sebenza.

Okie John

CS Tactical
03-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Congrats!!!

Thank you!