PDA

View Full Version : Kabar TDI Trainers - What Do You Use?

Tyler
08-18-2016, 04:56 PM
Hello,

First post here- I've read through the Kabar TDI thread, but I thought this was a different enough topic to warrant a new one. Forgive me if I'm wrong, feel free to delete and I'll just post in the other thread. Long time lurker on pistol forum, just joined recently- thank you to all who regularly post and contribute brilliant material.

Anyway- I'm fairly close to being hired by my local city police department, and I have joined a gym that focuses on combatives and blade techniques for self defense, since I think right now that's what I'm lacking most. I'd like to get a TDI training knife, and I see that quite a few folks here carry and train with TDI's, but I can't find any trainers available for purchase. Looks like they discontinued their training knives awhile back. My question is, what are all you folks using to train with your TDI? Is there anyone I can purchase a trainer from? Ideally, I'd use the same sheath in training, and get good reps of drawing and re-sheathing while on the mat, which would necessitate using a trainer with very similar dimensions as my real TDI.

Anyone out there with some suggestions?

Thanks
Tyler

OnionsAndDragons
08-19-2016, 01:13 AM
I like NOK trainers in general for actual combative sparring. You can go basically full speed with them without risking serious injury.

It does not look like they make a TDI type model, but a Clinch Pick style might work. Or one of the other small models. Maybe they could do a custom. Even better, if you could get some interest from other TDI guys, possibly a design backed by a group buy!

Someone like Ian Wendt could likely make you a trainer from G10, or you could go old school and buy a second knife and grind the edge and tip off. That's what folks had to do before some companies became enlightened and offered proper dummy blades.

Duelist
08-19-2016, 05:59 AM
Tyler, if you decide to go the "grind down a second one to make a trainer out of it" route, I know a guy in your area who can take care of that for you, if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself. PM me, if you need the info.

1slow
08-19-2016, 07:11 AM
2nd the NOK for hard contact. For a hard material cut one out of 1/4'' + thickness aluminum or non brittle plastic. Leave a very rounded tip.

orionz06
08-19-2016, 08:40 AM
Talk with Zulu Bravo Kydex, he's cut trainers from HDPE for them in the past and shouldn't have any issue other than time for the TDI.

Nok knives are cool but I think both styles are needed for well rounded training. Both access and use need worked and using the same tool presents a few unnecessary drawbacks.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

Cecil Burch
08-19-2016, 11:49 AM
Talk with Zulu Bravo Kydex, he's cut trainers from HDPE for them in the past and shouldn't have any issue other than time for the TDI.

Nok knives are cool but I think both styles are needed for well rounded training. Both access and use need worked and using the same tool presents a few unnecessary drawbacks.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

100% agreed.

Noks are perfect for actually making contact with your partner's face/torso. Doing that with any kind of hard object (whether it is dulled steel, aluminum, plastic, or wood) is a douchebag move. People get hurt that way. But because of their (needed) construction/design, they are not good in any way for drawing/deployment practice from a sheath. That is where the hard trainer comes into play. You absolutely need both to get the full benefit.