PDA

View Full Version : Frame work to alleviate Glock knuckle

BJJ
08-18-2016, 04:51 PM
I spent 2 days training with Tom Givens last weekend. I have a pretty wicked blister on the knuckle of my strong hand to show for it. I am interested in sending a Glock frame to a frame smith to have it altered so that I can do high round count training without getting a blister. I contacted Lane at Cold Bore Customs a few days ago but haven't gotten a response. I only want the minimal amount of work done necessary to alleviate Glock knuckle. Can anyone tell me if Lane is still in business? Isn't he on the forum? Or is there anyone else you can recommend? Lane looks like the best option from what I have seen but I am open to other options.

Thanks.

JCS
08-18-2016, 04:59 PM
I've been trying to get up the nerve to do it on mine. At this point I've developed a large callous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blues
08-18-2016, 05:04 PM
This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xaeuW8SEcE) makes the fix look pretty painless.

BobLoblaw
08-18-2016, 05:19 PM
I do it myself with patience and high grad sandpaper but I take off just enough to round the corners and smooth the texture out. However, if that tape clown can do it with a Dremel and not screw it up, you could do it while sporting a Chinese finger trap.

OlongJohnson
08-18-2016, 05:25 PM
I actually had nerve damage to the knuckle after one or two range sessions with mine, due to where my particular hand geometry puts the knuckle.

It's pretty easy to make adjustments. I just took a pair of calipers set to 4mm, or ~0.16 inch, and set them so one side was tangent to the curve inside the TG and the other was tangent to the top of the knuckle relief at the back of the outside of the TG. Use and X-Acto knife to scribe a straight line from the knuckle relief tangent point forward until it clears the bottom of the TG. Do that on both sides. Then shave the soft, unreinforced plastic using whatever tools you're comfortable with until you've connected the two lines. Then round and smooth the edges. Then go shoot it.

Your G34 won't be legal in SSP when you're done, so you'll have a great excuse to go buy some Sigs...

EVP
08-18-2016, 05:28 PM
Agree with BobLoblaw, do it your self. Just use like 600grit and just go easy and slow. Just remove the corners and gently round them. Sand them and keep testing till you reach your desired level. Honestly it is easy and does not take long at all.

LOKNLOD
08-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Sand paper wrapped around the appropriately-sized dowel rod is the poor man's dremel, if you want to go slow.

I like a worn-out flapper wheel for working on Glock plastic with a dremel. It's good for beveling the edges and stuff. The "give" of a flapper wheel makes it a little less likely you take a big bite out of something by accident. It's more forgiving.

ASH556
08-18-2016, 07:32 PM
This is a self-solving problem with daily dryfire.

SAWBONES
08-18-2016, 07:53 PM
This is a self-solving problem with daily dryfire.

Well, maybe, but dry fire has no recoil impulse, which is what mostly contributes to "Glock knuckle" when the frame moves abruptly under recoil.

I've Dremeled down all of my (ten to date) Glocks' triggerguards this way, and the edges of the mag release buttons too (being a southpaw).

No problem at all. There's really very little risk of botching the job; the Glock "Polymer 2" is pretty tough stuff, and any slips with the sanding wheel or stone can be readily buffed out.

BN
08-18-2016, 08:01 PM
I just use a chain saw file and file until it feels good. ;) I have some needle files to touch up with. It isn't hard and doesn't take long. You don't have to take very much off.

This is modifying the frame and may change what division you shoot in with some competition sports.

Imaposer2
08-18-2016, 09:12 PM
I agree with sawbones. It's easy to do and hard to screw up. I use a dremel and the flex-wand thing with the fine sanding drum attachment. Ya know, the kind with the interchangeable sanding bands. I do tape up the adjacent areas just so I can see if I accidently get too close the the grip area that I don't want to marr. Use a slower speed and it doesn't cut too fast or risk melting the plastic. Take your time and remove material slowly, checking often, and you'll be fine. Once you have it the way you want it, you can use a very fine sandpaper by hand to give it a little better visual finish if you like. although I just finish mine up with the dremel polishing wheel and a little compound.

mc1911
08-19-2016, 08:18 AM
Not sure if this will help anyone, but my solution to this problem during high round-count events is good old athletic tape on the knuckle. It's been a while, but I think last time I put a bandaid on first, then taped over it. The little gauze on the bandaid made for a comfy pad. Saved me from blistering or having to grind on my heater (a.ka. roscoe).

TC215
08-19-2016, 08:29 AM
I was going to send mine off, but ended up just doing it myself. I used a Dremel, and finished it with fine sandpaper. It was easy to do, and made a big difference for me.

LSP552
08-19-2016, 10:39 AM
The only Glock with finger grooves that bothers me is the 19 size. The spacing on the top groove is enough different than the full size and compact guns to make it unshootable for me after a few rounds. A Dremel and sand paper is mandatory on any 3rd or 4th gen 19 for my XL hands. I finish up with a rub of black shoe polish and it's almost unnoticeable, and fits a WHOLE lot better.

Go slow.....not a big deal to do.

ST911
08-19-2016, 08:27 PM
I do it myself with patience and high grad sandpaper but I take off just enough to round the corners and smooth the texture out.

This. Round the edges of the trigger guard (esp the R side) and smooth contact surfaces. That solved Glock knuckle for me.

miller_man
08-19-2016, 09:34 PM
Another vote for do it yourself. I put up with glock knuckle for almost 2 years before I broke out the dremel. Should have done it long ago.

The Apprentice
08-20-2016, 09:47 AM
Rat tail file followed by a bit of sanding is what I use takes a few minutes and you can fit it to you hand. Heres what it looks like if I cared a little more about aesthetis I would have gone over it with some finer grit sand paper but I like the look of well worn guns so I not worried about it.

08-20-2016, 11:09 AM
I removed finger grooves and undercut the trigger guard. It was easy to do.

BJJ
08-20-2016, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I have been hesitant to remove any material from my guns but after all the responses in favor of DIY, I bought a dremel on the way home from work yesterday.

EVP
08-20-2016, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have been hesitant to remove any material from my guns but after all the responses in favor of DIY, I bought a dremel on the way home from work yesterday.

Just a word of caution, I would not use a Dremel especially if you have not used one on polymer. It can remove material to fast.

With a higher grit sandpaper you really cannot mess it up if you go little by little. I also would caution trying to under cut the trigger guard further as you can make things worse. You are really just trying to break the edge and gently round things out were your knuckle hits the trigger guard.

Mitch
08-20-2016, 04:42 PM
Not sure if this will help anyone, but my solution to this problem during high round-count events is good old athletic tape on the knuckle. It's been a while, but I think last time I put a bandaid on first, then taped over it. The little gauze on the bandaid made for a comfy pad. Saved me from blistering or having to grind on my heater (a.ka. roscoe).

That's what I did a couple weeks ago during a Tom Givens class. Second day I just put athletic tape over the Glock knuckle. I noticed a few other people did the same thing.

Wondering Beard
08-20-2016, 05:22 PM
That's what I did a couple weeks ago during a Tom Givens class. Second day I just put athletic tape over the Glock knuckle. I noticed a few other people did the same thing.

Same here. When I haven't shot my Glocks for a long time, I use athletic tape or mole skin during high round count classes. Smaller round count practice gets no protection and I let the callous develop. Once that happens, 'Glock knuckle' doesn't bother me anymore, so long as I keep shooting Glocks regularly.

Mitch
08-20-2016, 05:34 PM
Same here. When I haven't shot my Glocks for a long time, I use athletic tape or mole skin during high round count classes. Smaller round count practice gets no protection and I let the callous develop. Once that happens, 'Glock knuckle' doesn't bother me anymore, so long as I keep shooting Glocks regularly.

Agreed. I'm not sure I would have even had an issue, except I hadn't been able to get to the range for 5 weeks so my callous softened up.