PDA

View Full Version : New Glock M series revolver

Dagga Boy
08-18-2016, 03:20 PM
NOT!!!!! Figured it would take that to get anyone to look at what a REAL heirloom level bespoke revolver looks like. I have lusted for one of these since Roy Huntington wrote up one in American Handgunner in 2000. It is literally the gun that got me interested in the older N frame revolvers that has turned into a hoarding addiction. It is a post WWII 38/44 4" revolver that Hamilton Bowen converts to 45 Colt by re boring the cylinder and barrel for .45 Colt. These guns are re done using pre war type craftsmanship of hand polishing and blueing, Turnbull color case hardened triggers and hammers, Keith Brown stocks, and simply a hand built heirloom. When this came up for sale with an unturned cylinder, I had to own it. It now has a turned cylinder and will be getting shot. 30 years ago I bought myself a ROLEX GMT and have worn it daily since. It has only been taken off to go in for service. People I worked with were always shocked I would wear one daily as a cop. The watch has more value to me as a companion through a lot of life than it does as a Rolex. I plan the same for this revolver. I plan for it to be a companion through the back half of life. Touching it brings joy. It will get real wear. It may be a more of a briefcase and nightstand type carry than inside my waistband, but it is something that exudes real soul and something that can contain memories. Not like disposable polymer pistols. I have a lot of wonderous revolvers. A majority of those are for preservation of history and are not shooters. This is just a conglomeration of those in something I do not feel bad about carrying.

Enjoy.....

Welder
08-18-2016, 03:25 PM
That one even has a Gadget already built in. I like that round magazine. Is that a rail on the front under the barrel? :p

JV_
08-18-2016, 03:33 PM
NOT!!!!!We need a dislike button. :p

GJM
08-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Click bait. Shows how the power of the M has made folks desperate.

Totem Polar
08-18-2016, 03:39 PM
If you post a pic of that most excellent specimen actually being carried AIWB in a custom kydex rig, the freedom boners will be epic.

Wayne Dobbs
08-18-2016, 03:40 PM
NOT!!!!! Figured it would take that to get anyone to look at what a REAL heirloom level bespoke revolver looks like. I have lusted for one of these since Roy Huntington wrote up one in American Handgunner in 2000. It is literally the gun that got me interested in the older N frame revolvers that has turned into a hoarding addiction. It is a post WWII 38/44 4" revolver that Hamilton Bowen converts to 45 Colt by re boring the cylinder and barrel for .45 Colt. These guns are re done using pre war type craftsmanship of hand polishing and blueing, Turnbull color case hardened triggers and hammers, Keith Brown stocks, and simply a hand built heirloom. When this came up for sale with an unturned cylinder, I had to own it. It now has a turned cylinder and will be getting shot. 30 years ago I bought myself a ROLEX GMT and have worn it daily since. It has only been taken off to go in for service. People I worked with were always shocked I would wear one daily as a cop. The watch has more value to me as a companion through a lot of life than it does as a Rolex. I plan the same for this revolver. I plan for it to be a companion through the back half of life. Touching it brings joy. It will get real wear. It may be a more of a briefcase and nightstand type carry than inside my waistband, but it is something that exudes real soul and something that can contain memories. Not like disposable polymer pistols. I have a lot of wonderous revolvers. A majority of those are for preservation of history and are not shooters. This is just a conglomeration of those in something I do not feel bad about carrying.

Enjoy.....

The souls of Bryce and Hamer are smiling.

Dagga Boy
08-18-2016, 03:45 PM
If you post a pic of that most excellent specimen actually being carried AIWB in a custom kydex rig, the freedom boners will be epic.

Wash your dirty mouth out. There is a Mike Barranti Hank Sloan holster enroute for it.........kydex....dear lord, I am surrounded by savage heathens.

Gray222
08-18-2016, 04:34 PM
clickbait to the max

Duelist
08-18-2016, 04:48 PM
Looks like Indiana Jones made an impression.

Stephanie B
08-18-2016, 07:23 PM
I saw that on the S&W Forum before you said you'd buy it and almost thought hard about it. But with the bird in for its annual, that wasn't going to happen.

Hope you enjoy her.

Oh, and I knew you weren't serious about the thread title, otherwise I'd be billing you for cleaning the puke out of my laptop.....

11B10
08-18-2016, 08:20 PM
Folks, the man is out of control - long may he reign!

irascible_joe
08-18-2016, 08:29 PM
Congratulations on owning that magnificent revolver! Is that the one that sold recently on GunBroker?

Dagga Boy
08-18-2016, 09:05 PM
Congratulations on owning that magnificent revolver! Is that the one that sold recently on GunBroker?

I got it off the Smith forum and the guy there has had it for seven years.

Jim Watson
08-18-2016, 09:34 PM
Added cachet that Bowen has quit working on Smiths. There will be no more of these.

Lex Luthier
08-18-2016, 11:21 PM
(golf clap)

Mazel Tov!

What grips might you use?

Dagga Boy
08-18-2016, 11:38 PM
(golf clap)

Mazel Tov!

What grips might you use?

I was going to put the Keith Brown's away and use some really nice Stags that are sized better for me, but they did not quite fit right. Even though this is a post war gun, I think it uses the Pre War frame size that is a little different. At this point....I ll just use it with the Browns. I have an older Pachmayer grip adaptor that I may use if I really need to, but would prefer to leave it the way it is.

HCM
08-19-2016, 12:35 AM
Added cachet that Bowen has quit working on Smiths. There will be no more of these.

???

Dagga Boy
08-19-2016, 12:44 AM

I heard this as well, and I am pretty sure I know why. That was another reason this was a drop th hammer now purchase.

olstyn
08-19-2016, 12:57 AM
clickbait to the max

Nobody in their right mind actually believed the thread title was for real, and we were all expecting it to be some sort of one of a kind classic revolver, and I, for one, was not disappointed. :)

farscott
08-19-2016, 04:19 AM

I had not heard that. I do wonder what drove that. I am guessing the inability to get parts.

All of that aside, that 38/44 HD .45 Colt is VERY cool. The fixed-sight N-frame S&W should have built after the introduction of the Thunder Ranch M25 models. I also have a soft spot for the slightly more modern three-inch M625 as that gun is a just a big M65LS. I used to collect the three-inch stainless N-frames that Lew Horton ordered and marketed in the 1990s. Somewhere I have the M610, M625, M629, and M657 from that series of runs as well as the three-inch, seven-shot Quadra-Port M681.

Hambo
08-19-2016, 06:36 AM
Wash your dirty mouth out. There is a Mike Barranti Hank Sloan holster enroute for it.........kydex....dear lord, I am surrounded by savage heathens.

That Google search will cost me. Two tone, floral carving I presume?

About the M Model .38/44, I have to admit I'd be reluctant to ream one, but since it's already been done... Very nice, as usual.

irascible_joe
08-19-2016, 06:51 AM
I heard this as well, and I am pretty sure I know why. That was another reason this was a drop th hammer now purchase.

The stated reason was that new Smiths have the barrels threaded so tightly that they can't reliably be removed without damage.

In the back of my mind, I'm wondering if Mr. Bowen isn't thinking about retirement. I believe he's in his sixties now. Which reminds me, I need to get him started on a Nimrod...

Jim Watson
08-19-2016, 09:45 AM
Winding down towards retirement - or semiretirement, small shop gunsmithing doesn't have much of a pension plan - is the only thing that holds water.

Parts availability - there are untold thousands of S&Ws in good mechanical condition that could be dressed up. He showed a New Service that he fancied up on that basis.
Torqued barrels - only accept work on pinned barrel era guns.

Lex Luthier
08-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Winding down towards retirement - or semiretirement, small shop gunsmithing doesn't have much of a pension plan - is the only thing that holds water.

Parts availability - there are untold thousands of S&Ws in good mechanical condition that could be dressed up. He showed a New Service that he fancied up on that basis.
Torqued barrels - only accept work on pinned barrel era guns.

On the retirement thing...too true. That goes for small shop luthiers as well.

As for the pinned barrels- the last ones left Springfield nearly 34 years ago.