PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Leaf Blower

okie john
08-17-2016, 11:15 AM
I'm in the market for one of these. Our lot isn't big so an electric one would probably be fine, but we have a lot of leaves and I want to get one before everyone buys them up for fall.

What do I need to know?

Thanks,

Okie John

JAD
08-17-2016, 11:20 AM
I have and super enjoy http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00AW72V4O (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AW72V4O). The charge doesn't last forever but it is really easy to work with, and adequately powerful.

farscott
08-17-2016, 11:30 AM
I am not a fan of electric yard tools as the batteries are discharged in the middle of a job or the cord gets in the way. I tend to buy commercial-grade equipment as it lasts forever with regular maintenance. I have a Shindaiwa EB3410 commercial blower that is now eight years old. Only maintenance other than plugs has been the fuel priming bulb. The equivalent model today is the EB344 with a MSRP of $300.

Welder
08-17-2016, 11:58 AM
I have a couple of blowers. One runs off the same Milwaukee M18 batteries I use for my tools, and the other is a 2-stroke Redmax, one of their more powerful backpack versions. I live up against the Nat'l Forest and have a lot of leaves. The Milwaukee is fine for blowing off the porches or the sidewalks, maybe even the driveway. But I think I'd get more done with a rake than that blower in thick leaves --it has the velocity but not the air volume needed to move a lot at a time. I mainly use the Milwaukee on jobsites for creating a clean place to work or blowing metal shavings and grinding dust out of areas I can't reach into. It's a great blower for certain things. Battery lasts a long time with the 4.0 and 5.0 Ah batteries.

The Redmax is a great blower, very powerful and also heavy. But not what you're asking about so I won't go more into it.

txdpd
08-17-2016, 12:01 PM
I used a corded B&D blower/shredder vac for several years. I would blow the leaves in a pile them vacuum them up. The shredder vac takes care of the hassle of bagging leaves by hands and reduces the volume by about 3/4th. It died and the new ones get less than stellar reviews on amazon. I was going to take the plunge on a Stihl, but tried the mulch in place with the mower routine and I think that's the best way. Mulched leaves have surprisingly little volume and it's free fertilizer.

If you have to blow and bag a lot of leaves I think the blower/vacuum is the way to go.

blues
08-17-2016, 12:03 PM
I have one of these Black & Decker 20v blowers (https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-LSW20-20-Volt-Cordless/dp/B00602J2ZQ).

It works great for porch, deck, walk and driveway but not so great for an entire yard.

That said, the product works great for its uses and when I had one go on the fritz after about a year and a half they replaced it within a week.

I have always found Black & Decker / DeWalt great for standing behind their products.

LOKNLOD
08-17-2016, 01:23 PM
I've got a small craftsman C3 blower that uses the same 19.2 batteries as my drill and other tools. It's just okay... Like a Jframe: Handiness factor gives it a role of convenience, but it's not the best for the real task at hand.

If corded isn't a problem, my shopvac has the detachable blower on it and that thing moves some air! Depending on your level of use something like that might be worth looking into.

Digiroc
08-17-2016, 03:44 PM
I blow leaves and debris for a living and nothing but a gas powered Stihl will do. I favor the more powerful backpack versions, but I have a couple of smaller hand held versions and they work quite well too.

Here's a tip: they are great for turning bonfires into blast furnaces, if you've got a lot of stuff to burn.

Digiroc

rd62
08-17-2016, 06:54 PM
I have an Echo hand held that works very well for me. I have an Echo string trimmer that's the best I've used for home. When I was in college I worked landscaping and we used Echo products on the job. They were run all day each day and worked with minimal issues. If they can survive and perform in the commercial environment then the relatively little bit of use I'll show them should be cake.

Cookie Monster
08-17-2016, 09:26 PM
Stihl, as big as you can afford.

Willard
08-17-2016, 10:03 PM
Thanks OP. Very timely thread. Just replaced ancient craftsman mower with a Honda. Now need weedeater, blower, hedge trimmer, and possibly edger. I'm looking at the Kombi System from Stihl, but not sure if it would be better to purchase separately, as multi-tools often seem inferior to those with a specific purpose. Maybe someone with experience will chime in.

Bigghoss
08-17-2016, 11:50 PM
Can goats be trained to do this? :D

David S.
08-18-2016, 08:36 AM
I have a Dewalt 40v MAX string trimmer that I'm very happy with. It has plenty of power and I get at least 30-40 min of regular use (mostly on high speed) out a charge. A bit pricy, but does what I need. I bet their leaf blower works well.

The only downside I see to these tools is battery cost.

I don't miss mixing fuel or maintenance of a gas powered tool.
ETA ....or the noise.

blues
08-18-2016, 09:07 AM
I have a Dewalt 40v MAX string trimmer that I'm very happy with. It has plenty of power and I get at least 30-40 min of regular use (mostly on high speed) out a charge. A bit pricy, but does what I need. I bet their leaf blower works well.

The only downside I see to these tools is battery cost.

I don't miss mixing fuel or maintenance of a gas powered tool.
ETA ....or the noise.

It's unfortunate that B&D as the parent company doesn't allow their branded equipment to share the same batteries with the DeWalt side of the house.

That said, I have about 8 or 9 batteries from the various B&D 20v Max tools I've amassed over the years so along with the quick charger, I'm never at a loss for charged up batteries. And all of the tools from hedge trimmers to reciprocating saws to impact drivers have been good serviceable tools.

SJC3081
08-18-2016, 10:47 PM
Do it right
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/blowers-and-shredder-vacs/professional-blowers/br600/

Willard
08-18-2016, 11:12 PM
Today, I settled for this https://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/professional-kombisystem/km130/ along with the straight shaft weedeater, hedge trimmer, edger, and blower attachments. Others are available, but these meet all my needs. I like the idea that you only need to service or keep in repair a single engine to make everything work. Conversely, having completely separate systems means if your hedge trimmer goes down, you can still weed eat. Guess it is a perspective/situation thing.

We've had a lot of rain and the grass was high, so got to use it right away. Changeover between tools was easy enough and power was adequate with no starting issues. We'll see how it goes with use.