PDA

View Full Version : Sight Height and Zero

zRxz
11-10-2011, 09:40 PM
So I ran into a bit of an issue while installing two new sets of sights on my pair of Glocks. While I was able to install the first onto my 17 (a pair of Ameriglos), I've butchered the Warren rear sight that I was meaning to transplant from that 17 onto my 19. I do have an Ameriglo rear sight, but given the height of the Warrens, I'm wondering if a Warren front sight would work with an Ameriglo rear or if it would totally throw off the zero (bullet impacts would be extremely low). It's the standard height, so it's quite a bit lower than the rear that should have been coupled with this front. Any advice on this would be nice, especially if you've had to do similar. Thanks.

VolGrad
11-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Contact the mfg of each sight and ask for the specific height of the front/rear to see if they are compatible. One maker's standard height is most likely not the same as another makers standard. Sights are sometimes plug and play, sometimes not so much.

JHC
11-11-2011, 01:00 PM
You'll need .215 and taller fronts to work with Warren rears in my experience. However, with that in mind, they mix and match well. OTOH the Ameriglo Kyle Defoor rear mates well with a Trijicon brand tritium front - both being short-ish. I have that combo on an OD G17 and it works well.

nwhpfan
11-16-2011, 11:45 PM
I think I understand; you want to mate a Warren front sight with a Ameriglo rear...right? Brand to brand doesn't really matter; it's all about size, height, and width. Generally; if you impact is low you get a shorter sight. If your high you get a taller sight. Without calipers the best way to find out is shoot. Now how you butchered your sight:eek: ; if you did it during an install, etc. Try pistol; tape; wood; then vice. And use a brass punch. If you don't have a brass punch; try a .223 round or something like that. Good luck.