PDA

View Full Version : Quick ID for the jamming G42's?

Glenn E. Meyer
08-14-2016, 11:06 AM
I know I could probably search for it but is there a ID for the early jammer G42s. Mine did and a friend bought one for his wife. It seized on WWB from the get go. She knows how to shoot and he didn't BUY it for her. He just paid for it. She was along for the choice and I recommended it. I thought we were past that.

Bah.

Savage Hands
08-14-2016, 12:07 PM
I know I could probably search for it but is there a ID for the early jammer G42s. Mine did and a friend bought one for his wife. It seized on WWB from the get go. She knows how to shoot and he didn't BUY it for her. He just paid for it. She was along for the choice and I recommended it. I thought we were past that.

Bah.

I wouldn't worry about trying to ID it, send it to Glock to let them correct it.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Probably correct, I just wondering.

One would think though if dealers had some stinky ones, they would have returned them before selling them. Oh - what a fantasy world I live in.

Totem Polar
08-14-2016, 12:28 PM
if you want to crack into it, you can tell if it has the newer parts. You can spot the slide lock without even taking it apart.

https://looserounds.com/2014/05/10/glock-appears-to-have-made-changes-to-the-g42/

Glenn E. Meyer
08-19-2016, 10:59 AM
So my friend calls Glock and the rep tells him it is his fault for limp wristing and ammo choice. I told him to demand a return from the get go with another call. Very disappointing that the rep tried to dismiss a well known problem. BTW, my friend has several Glocks as do I and we've shot together plenty. It's not him.

They gave me no problem when I had called them for mine. It had the charming characteristic of firing out of battery and scaring the crap out of me.

lwt16
08-20-2016, 03:39 PM
My 42 never would run WWB .380 acp. Not reliably, anyway.

Mine needs zippy ammo to function 100 percent. I found that Perfecta .380, Fiocchi, and Speer Gold Dots to be flawless in mine. One thing I did was lock the slide back for a couple of days straight to get the recoil spring less stiff. After several hundred rounds of hot .380 it will now reliably feed weaker loads. I haven't tried WWB again but all others run fine now.

Kyle Reese
08-20-2016, 03:42 PM
Mine liked GECO and other European ammo.

Totem Polar
08-20-2016, 04:01 PM
May as well add another data point. I have one of the very first, MLK day ship 42s. Right out of the box, it fed ball like a champ, but choked on fiocchi or FA XTP. Ok, so I left the mags full for a few weeks or so, then took it on more outings. By the third trip, it was running everything. Awesome. Then, as it slowly passed 700 rounds over many months, it started failing a lot. A search here indicated that the newer, rounded slide lock lever and the subtly re-cut trigger spring/ejector housing was reportedly all that is needed to bring it up to current spec, so I bought the parts and put them in. It runs just the same: through a couple of mags, chokes somewhere on the next one, regardless of which particular mag of which generation with which ammo I'm using. Very frustrating. If it weren't for the fact that my wife likes the 42's handling, I'd be done with them. By contrast, I can't make my 43 malfunction; it's been flawless into the second k of ammo so far, and it's my second such 43.

Hauptmann
08-22-2016, 09:58 PM
By contrast, I can't make my 43 malfunction; it's been flawless into the second k of ammo so far, and it's my second such 43.

The same story has been going on between the 100 year old .380acp and 9mm Luger.