PDA

View Full Version : Speed Sights?

You'veGotRedOnYou
11-10-2011, 01:59 PM
I just ran across this web site and was intrigued by the design. Has anyone tried these or heard of them? They seem pretty confident in their product. If you don't like them, they will refund everything including shipping.

http://www.speedsights.com/

fuse
11-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Its, um, interesting how there is no daylight or 'light bars'.

Also interesting how one can apparently use the top corner instead of the usual top edge for precise work.

I have no desire to use or try them, of course.

DonovanM
11-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Woohoo, more sight gimmickry. What else is new.

(Astroturfing?)

jetfire
11-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Indeed, gimmick sights are gimmicky.

I like that the idea is that somehow under stress it's going to be faster for my eye to line up the points of three diamond shapes than it would be to get a traditional sight picture. That looks like a really, really slow design.

JM Campbell
11-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Been there done that and got the dunce cap. Waste of $200+ for two pistols.

Move on friend....move on.

Mitchell, Esq.
11-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Indeed, gimmick sights are gimmicky.

I like that the idea is that somehow under stress it's going to be faster for my eye to line up the points of three diamond shapes than it would be to get a traditional sight picture. That looks like a really, really slow design.

I don't think the people they are selling them to are quite at the level you shoot at...

rsa-otc
11-10-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't think the people they are selling them to are quite at the level you shoot at...

That's quite true. I think back to early in my shooting career I thought Black on Black sights were the only way to go. Despised the white Dots, outlines or colored sights. Now that I'm 50 plus I find myself with a orange front sight and open to my students having the same.

Mitchell, Esq.
11-10-2011, 05:34 PM
That's quite true. I think back to early in my shooting career I thought Black on Black sights were the only way to go. Despised the white Dots, outlines or colored sights. Now that I'm 50 plus I find myself with a orange front sight and open to my students having the same.

I was referring to people who still are searching for the next thing that will improve their shooting...

Other than practice and professional instruction. Because that's too expensive, and it's cheaper to get a laser. And a Light...And odd, cool sights...and a .410 revolver. With a laser. A green laser...

DonovanM
11-10-2011, 05:49 PM

There is no such thing as a hardware solution to a software problem. Just because someone needs training doesn't mean they need new sights, it means they need training.

These sights are perfectly adequate to hit things with, even quickly, but so are any other kind of night sights that either come with or are available at a much lower price for every modern defensive pistol on the market today. Buying overpriced gimmick sights like these is a needless expenditure and the money would be much better spent on ammo and range time to practice with.

Simply wanting an orange front sight is a matter of preference. And in my experience, when making decisions based on preference without being very familiar with your weapons system as it is, money will be wasted. This is why it's kind of nice to be a broke college student... After you keep using something long after you decide you don't prefer it, you figure out why you don't prefer it and have a much better idea of what it is you really want. But I'm not sure I have the self-control to do that if I could afford more sweet accessories :D

JM Campbell
11-10-2011, 05:55 PM
I had the tritium version and I found them to be extremely busy for my eyes.

This is also before I found more knowledgable people to listen to.

jetfire
11-10-2011, 06:08 PM
I prefer black on black sights, but I also have good eyesight and shoot largely in well lit conditions. The thing is that I see a huge difference between a proper high vis sight like the Trijicon HD and something like these. Trijicon HDs are still sights and don't rely on a gimmick, these are just...busy.

You'veGotRedOnYou
11-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Many excellent points, I'll be crossing these off my list of potential sights. Back to my search for p30 sights. Thanks for the feed back.

Kevin B.
11-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Is there a reason you would not consider Heinie straight eights?

You'veGotRedOnYou
11-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Is there a reason you would not consider Heinie straight eights?

I think the Heinie's will be the way I go. I would really like a set of Trijicon HD's, however they don't exist for HK. A little orange paint on the Heinie would probably be the next best thing.

Joe in PNG
11-11-2011, 03:58 AM
Caleb, buddy, you're messing with my S&W 429 ASP desire thing, man!

Proximo
07-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Many excellent points, I'll be crossing these off my list of potential sights. Back to my search for p30 sights. Thanks for the feed back.

My first time posting on these forums, so first of all, hello to everyone.

I just wanted to point out some things I noticed about the "Ace of Diamonds" sights mentioned here. I just ordered a set and hope to try them out next week before I go to Swarez International Close Range Gun Fighting in San Antonio, TX.

I have several friends who actually own the sights and shoot with them. Everything I heard from anyone who has tried these sights are extremely happy with them. The brain can pick up geometric shapes very fast and that is what the Diamond Pattern provides.

Here are some observations I made while looking closely into why so many people to include professional trainers are swearing by these sites. Before I get into that, let me first agree that Software is more important than Hardware. But once you have the software running good (your skills) there is nothing wrong with investing in good hardware. If this was not true, we would all be shooting Muskets.

With that said, here are some observations.

The standard 3 post sight has served many of us well. When looking at the 3 post sights, you have to center one post between the outer two. This is not too difficult but can be more difficult in low light conditions or under stress. Tritium has helped in some ways to help with sight awareness during a gun fight but as many of you mentioned, you don't really need sights at all if you train in point shooting. Sights are still useful because they do aid or help in determining if you are on target which is never a bad thing. If you are taking a long shot, the sight becomes very important in order for you to make the shot.

3 post sights cover a lot of the target. If you have a thinner front post, you can get better accuracy at long distance but it also creates another problem. There is more light on either side of the front side when trying to align it to the center. In various light conditions this can be tricky because one side of the sight might have more light visible than the other but you are centered. Your brain may tell you otherwise because your only visual que is to have the front sight centered between the two rear sights which means you want equal spacing between them.

Now when I looked at the Diamond sights I noticed something very quickly. There is no light between the sights. You line up the 3 diamonds which are very easy and natural based on what my friends have experienced. This prevents you from having to center the front sight between the two rear
sights.

Now let's look at the point of impact. The very tip of the diamond is where the bullet will hit. Because the sight has a diamond shape, you get a very precise point of impact, rather than trying to find the center of the front post on a traditional sight. Because the sides are all angled, you also get more visibility on the target. Take a piece of paper and draw a traditional 3 post sight setup. Now start at the center of the front sight and draw a straight line at a 45 degree angle from there and do the same with the two rear sights. All of that space is hiding your target but it's visible with the Diamond sights.

These are just observations I made which sold me on purchasing them. Having real world feedback from people who actually tried them and loved them was also very important.

The larger diamond in the center is great for quick sight identification for close range while the diamond tip allows for very precise shooting at long range. The lack of space between the sights makes alignment faster and more natural.

I suggest you find someone who has actually used them and get feed back from them before discarding these sights because everyone I know that has actually used them are very happy with them. If you give me a couple of weeks, I can give you my own opinion on them once I actually try them myself.

Your training is most important but there is nothing wrong with investing in good hardware as well. I am not getting these sights to compensate for a lack of training or ability on my end. I train a lot, compete and continually try to improve myself. Having good hardware along with that training is a plus and this is why I carry a modern firearm that serves me well. I will always be a student of the gun and will continue to invest in training while also investing in better hardware along the way. I agree that training is first and hardware is second.

Just wanted to share what I saw in the design and I hope to give a real world report on them once I shoot with them.

Stay sharp and stay safe.

"Semper Portare"

Ray Keith
07-19-2012, 09:38 AM
My first time posting on these forums, so first of all, hello to everyone.

I just wanted to point out some things I noticed about the "Ace of Diamonds" sights mentioned here. I just ordered a set and hope to try them out next week before I go to Swarez International Close Range Gun Fighting in San Antonio, TX.

Would this be one taught by Bob Mayne?

Byron
07-19-2012, 11:00 AM
The brain can pick up geometric shapes very fast and that is what the Diamond Pattern provides.
Without knowing anything about these sights, let me just say that it's pseudo-scientific claims like this that really turn me off to a product (and tempt me to run far, far, far away in the other direction). Reflect on what you wrote and consider what it actually means.

The vast majority of pistol sights are square blocks, many of them with inset circles of some type.

Are squares not "geometric shapes"?
Are circles not "geometric shapes"?

What would a non-geometric shape be?
Are there any sights on the market currently using non-geometric shapes?

ToddG
07-19-2012, 11:41 AM
I heart Byron.

LOKNLOD
07-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Are there any sights on the market currently using non-geometric shapes?

Watch me shoot and you'll wonder where I bought my Non-Euclidean Night Sights.