PDA

View Full Version : Ranges in DFW area

JeffJ
11-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Just curious where everybody around DFW goes to shoot. I'm a member at the DFW gun range (indoors on Mockingbird) and am looking to make a change. Ideally it would be outside and less than an hour away (live in NE Dallas/ Lake Highlands area) and allow multiple targets, shooting on move, rapid fire etc. If anybody has any experience with some of the different clubs/ranges around here please chime in.

rudy99
11-10-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm a member out at TDSA (http://www.tdsa.net/) (their website is not the best). You can pretty much do anything that you would do in a class (including what you have mentioned) out there. It is not open to the public, but they do allow guests. They are south of Dallas on I-45, just north of the Ferris area. Takes me about 50 minutes to get there from Carrollton. You do have to bring a bit of your own gear out there with you (see my thread about this here (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1732-What-support-gear-to-you-carry-to-the-range)), but they do have barrels and wooden target stands.

The only other place I'm aware of that allows this type of shooting is up in Greenville. I believe they have USPSA matches at the range I'm trying to think of, but I cannot find the link (or at least what I remember seeing in the past). USPSA link here (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1732-What-support-gear-to-you-carry-to-the-range).

EDIT: It may be Jacob's Plain Gun Club (http://jacobsplain.com/Jacobs_Plain_Gun_CLub/Range.html).

TR675
11-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Rudy, I'd like to check out the TDSA range but haven't had any luck contacting the owners. I would really appreciate it if you would let me tag along as a guest next time you head out there.

I'm less than impressed with the other ranges I've been to in the DFW area and am tired of making the trek all the way up to Prdtr's stomping grounds just to get some quality practice time in.

JeffJ
11-10-2011, 08:24 PM
TDSA looks like a good deal and not too far. Any problems with bay availability on weekends or do you feel like there's plenty of space most of the time?

rudy99
11-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Rudy, I'd like to check out the TDSA range but haven't had any luck contacting the owners. I would really appreciate it if you would let me tag along as a guest next time you head out there.

I'm less than impressed with the other ranges I've been to in the DFW area and am tired of making the trek all the way up to Prdtr's stomping grounds just to get some quality practice time in.

I will try to give you a head's up next time I head out there. Right now the Mon-Wed of Thanksgiving week may be the next time I head down there, since I'm off from work.

TDSA looks like a good deal and not too far. Any problems with bay availability on weekends or do you feel like there's plenty of space most of the time?

They have 5 regular bays and 1 steel bay. You are supposed to only use the steel bay if you pay an extra fee, however it was a bit crowded the last time I was out there and Len (the owner) said I could use the steel bay due to the crowd (nice day on Saturday morning). That was really the only time I have had an issue getting a bay to use. In the heat of the summer I had the place to myself on several occasions. Since this is my first year as a member, I haven't see how crowded it is during the winter months, so we will see how that goes. I will say the wind can get pretty brutal out there. I have to use cardboard targets if I use their target stands and just put paper targets (e.g. dot torture, fast target, etc) over the cardboard. Otherwise you end up with a moving target. Nothing a few wooden shims can't fix.

MDS
11-12-2011, 11:28 AM
I had a good time at the Dallas Pistol Club when I lived out there. There's a long waiting list to join, but I went as a guest with a couple of guys that I met at the various competitions hosted there. The competitions are open to the public.

Don't know about som or etc, I wasn't into that at the time...

PPGMD
11-12-2011, 02:56 PM
I just reupped at TDSA, I was told by the guy that Lenn has managing the range now, that the steel bay to the left I am free to use, as long as I don't shoot the steel with rifles. But the plate rack bay, and the 22 plate rack bays are separate charges.

I will say that when the range is wet, there are only really two usable bays, the two on the right that have gravel instead of dirt.

In the winter, it is pretty deserted. Often I was the only person there. And since I had to keep my hands warm over a little propane heater, it was probably with good reason.

Really spring is the only time I've had to wait for a bay. But if you show up early enough (since the range is open 24/7) it is a none issue.

JeffJ
12-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Joined up at TDSA today. Len struck me as a good guy and the range seems like just what I was looking for. I went ahead and paid for access to the regular steel bay and the .22 steel bay (which I'm pretty sure is going to be like crack to me)

Thanks for the heads up and maybe I'll see some of you guys out there.

dpd0710
12-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Jeff, have you looked at http://eaglepeakshootingrange.com/gpsr/gpsr.htm
in Garland?

JeffJ
12-29-2011, 12:06 PM
I haven't shot there, but from what I understand (could be wrong) you can't shoot on the move, engage multiple targets, rapid fire etc. at that range.

I've been out to TDSA a few times now and if you can deal with some mud it's a pretty good spot. It is definatly close range and handgun intensive - the bays let you get out to about 25 yards max or you can shoot rifles from the bench or prone at either 50yds. or 100 yds.

texag
12-30-2011, 02:17 PM
I haven't shot there, but from what I understand (could be wrong) you can't shoot on the move, engage multiple targets, rapid fire etc. at that range.

I've been out to TDSA a few times now and if you can deal with some mud it's a pretty good spot. It is definatly close range and handgun intensive - the bays let you get out to about 25 yards max or you can shoot rifles from the bench or prone at either 50yds. or 100 yds.

Garland is the standard crap we have for public ranges in DFW. Decent facilities, rules that don't allow you to accomplish anything more than dryfire would.

TDSA has a 200 yd and 300 yd line on the rifle range.

It'd be nice to get some P-F guys together out there for a meetup/skill session. It could be pretty fun.

beltjones
12-30-2011, 03:16 PM
I have a membership at Tdsa. A get together sometime would be fun. There is also a Uspsa match there the 4th Saturday of every month starting at 9:30 or 10:00am.

The range in Greenville (Jacobs plain) used to have uspsa matches, but our stuff got stolen from the shed so many times that we moved a few miles up the road to a private range (matches are still public of course). Check out www.ntpshooters.com for more info.

You can also check out www.dfwshooters.org. It's the local message board for all the various shooting matches in the area. Lots of good folks and good info.

PPGMD
12-31-2011, 07:40 PM
I heard about the break in, didn't hear about the move.

There are a ton of matches in the Dallas area if you are willing to drive.

There is also IDPA, there is Collin County IDPA (which competes at Jacob's Plain and Greenville PD which are in Hunt County :confused:).

There is Dallas Action Shooters which competes at Elm Fork (IDPA, USPSA and carbine), and DFW Gun (IDPA only) both are 2.5 hour night matches.

At Dallas Pistol Club they have a variety of matches, but I don't believe any are affiliated with the major sanctioning groups. But they do Steel matches.

There are some at TDSA but I don't know the schedule, nor do I think they are affiliated with any of the major groups.

beltjones
01-01-2012, 12:19 PM
There are some at TDSA but I don't know the schedule, nor do I think they are affiliated with any of the major groups.

There is a USPSA match run by Ferris Practical Shooters the 4th Saturday of every month. It's usually 5 or 6 stages. They also do a three gun match two or three times a year.

PPGMD
01-01-2012, 06:00 PM
There is a USPSA match run by Ferris Practical Shooters the 4th Saturday of every month. It's usually 5 or 6 stages. They also do a three gun match two or three times a year.

I will have to add that to my match calendar.

RoyGBiv
08-06-2016, 02:58 PM
This place should be opening in a few months... Looks interesting.
http://www.totalshootingsports.com

25 yards max, however.