PDA

View Full Version : Clinch Pick beach carry

Irelander
08-11-2016, 10:27 AM
So I'm heading to the beach this weekend and probably won't be able to carry a firearm on the beach because of getting in the water/no shirt. But I'd like to carry my Clinch Pick and probably a folder too. My current sheath requires a belt. I don't have time to order something and get it here before Saturday but I'm heading to OBX later this year and would like to have this sorted out before then. What kind of IWB Clinch Pick sheath are you guys using that does not require a belt?

orionz06
08-11-2016, 10:34 AM
You're an hour north of me, right?

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

Randy Harris
08-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Depending on the thickness of your shorts you might be able to just use the Tek Lok (assuming your sheath has a TekLok) to clamp to the waistband and it might still close and lock even with the shorts between the front and back of the TL. I know someone who burns tiny little holes in his board shorts so the TekLok snaps go through the holes. I have had good luck with just clamping it to my waistband in both swim trunks and running shorts and have not felt the need to burn the holes but YMMV.

Dropkick
08-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Here's three options:

Dark Star Gear's Clip On CP Sheath
Attach a Spyderco G Clip to whatever current sheath you have
If your swim trunks have a pocket, attach your sheath to a Raven Concealment ModuLoader Pocket Shield

Irelander
08-11-2016, 11:50 AM
You're an hour north of me, right?

Yes sir. You have a good memory!

Irelander
08-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Here's three options:

Dark Star Gear's Clip On CP Sheath
Attach a Spyderco G Clip to whatever current sheath you have
If your swim trunks have a pocket, attach your sheath to a Raven Concealment ModuLoader Pocket Shield

I like the G Clip idea, but alas I ground all the holes off of my CP sheath except for one.

Totem Polar
08-11-2016, 12:30 PM
If your trunks have a decent drawstring, tie the CP in with them/one of them for a static line carry with the hole that's left in your sheath?

Paul Sharp
08-11-2016, 01:05 PM
You're wearing a Speedo correct?

Then; fanny pack, ftw!!

blues
08-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Wait...the knife is called the "clinch pick"...right...?

http://www.svfelicity.com/images/journal/nwzeal17/busker9.jpg

:)

Irelander
08-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Thats just wrong...

blues
08-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Thats just wrong...

Sorry, brother. It's hard to resist an opportunity like that when it comes along. :cool:

NickA
08-11-2016, 08:36 PM
I'm not sure if it will work IWB but here's another no belt option from Keepers Concealment:
http://keepersconcealment.com/product/clinch-pick-sheath/

On a related note, finishing up a beach trip now. I put my Delica in our beach bag just to have a knife handy. Never got it in the water but it's got some light rust spots already. Nothing that won't come right off, but next year I'll look for a corrosion resistant or non metallic option.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

blues
08-11-2016, 09:08 PM
I'm not sure if it will work IWB but here's another no belt option from Keepers Concealment:
http://keepersconcealment.com/product/clinch-pick-sheath/

On a related note, finishing up a beach trip now. I put my Delica in our beach bag just to have a knife handy. Never got it in the water but it's got some light rust spots already. Nothing that won't come right off, but next year I'll look for a corrosion resistant or non metallic option.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Talonite and Stellite are great options (but expensive) if you are interested in blades that are completely impervious to corrosion.

Duelist
08-12-2016, 02:44 AM
Spyderco's H1 blades in the Salt series are supposed to be completely corrosion impervious. Get the serrated edge, H1 work hardens, so the plain edge vs serrated has a significant hardness and edge-holding difference. Various sized knives are available.

Prdator
08-12-2016, 08:14 AM
We have some "China Pick" sheaths ready to go. they work with or without a belt.

Wile recovering from my knee replacement I spent two months wearing sweats with a China pick ( reground by Ban) and a G19 in our Keeper Lite. worked so well a few days I even slept with it on... lol..

Wondering Beard
08-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Not a clinch pick, but a small rust proof light fixed blade: Spyderco Ark H1 (http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=921)

http://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/med/FB35BK_M.jpg

blues
08-12-2016, 09:29 AM
That ARK looks like an excellent (and economical) option for the OP.

Irelander
08-12-2016, 10:40 AM
I'm not really worried about rust at least for this trip, Lake Erie. Not really worried about it for OBX either but maybe I should be.

orionz06
08-12-2016, 11:07 AM
I'd not go in the water in Lake Erie.

Irelander
08-12-2016, 11:17 AM
I know what you're saying. I probably won't get more than my feet wet.

Willard
08-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Not a clinch pick, but a small rust proof light fixed blade: Spyderco Ark H1 (http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=921)

http://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/med/FB35BK_M.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to have to pick one up.

OnionsAndDragons
08-12-2016, 11:35 AM
The Ulti-Clip is decent for this application. Also the fat metal clip that DSG uses.

As to rust issues, get yourself a Ti blade from Ban, Watson or Special Circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
08-12-2016, 02:30 PM
Incidentally, "Always Ready Knife" was not the original name; the original name, implied in the description on Spyderco's site, was "Active Resistance Knife." As another aside, I have a custom wharncliffe fixed blade by Sam Owens. It's a very cool knife.

Chuck Haggard
08-12-2016, 06:58 PM
FWIW, when around salt water a lot buying a Spyderco Salt is well worth the effort.

orionz06
08-12-2016, 08:58 PM
Titanium Clinch Pick works too.

http://i.imgur.com/nleDPJxl.jpg

Totem Polar
08-12-2016, 11:42 PM
^^^way to class up the thread with a pic(k). that's hot.

secondstoryguy
08-13-2016, 11:21 AM
I've found a Spyderco Salt or regular Endura folder clipped inside the waistband of my trunks is the best answer for me. Someone, I believe Bladerigs, has made a deep version of the standard Tracker Dan style sheath for swim-trunk carry. It simply clips in deeper and allows little if any of a fixed blade handle to poke out. Might be worth looking into and the guy that owns Bladerigs will make sheaths in his style for most knives.

vaspence
08-13-2016, 12:10 PM
I also highly recommend the Spyderco H1 knives for anything water related. I'm in the water (fresh) a few times a day most of the summer and have used the Spydercos for a few years with no worries. I just let the knife dry while in my shorts pocket. No rust on any of the two I use daily. I have a BOB and the Ark is definitely a lot smaller grip. I haven't found a better steel for in the water use and it keeps a great edge.

secondstoryguy
08-13-2016, 12:43 PM
I want to buy a Spyderco Ark, grind that stupid big back end of the blade with the hole off, and get a decent clip sheath made for it.

23JAZ
08-13-2016, 08:37 PM
Titanium Clinch Pick works too.

http://i.imgur.com/nleDPJxl.jpg
Is that a double edge? Can Ban do that on a China pick regrind?

LOKNLOD
08-13-2016, 09:03 PM
I also highly recommend the Spyderco H1 knives for anything water related.

I got that middle one - is it a Dragonfly 2? -- ahead of a beach trip earlier this summer. Wore it for a week in the surf and in saltwater pools, and not a sign of rust. I was really impressed.

However a couple weeks ago I had it on and tried to get something out of my pocket while sitting, and the damn thing came open enough to drive the tip about 3/8" up and under the skin on my pinky middle knuckle. OUCH. I'm kind of snakebit by it now...

orionz06
08-13-2016, 09:12 PM
Is that a double edge? Can Ban do that on a China pick regrind?

Yes, titanium double edge with a DLC coating. It's pretty awesome, super light. I use it with a G-clip to attach to pants without a belt for any sorta cardio type stuff.

While I can't speak for Ban I can say that I would think that there is enough material for some sort of edge to be ground into a production CP, whether or not it would meet Ban's standards is a different story.

Willard
08-14-2016, 10:48 PM
I want to buy a Spyderco Ark, grind that stupid big back end of the blade with the hole off, and get a decent clip sheath made for it. I'm not doing any grinding, but I just ordered one. Hope it is what I think it is.

RoyGBiv
08-14-2016, 10:52 PM
Drive your car onto the beach at OBX and lock your gat in the car while you are swimming.
4x4 required.
That's what I do.

Trajan
08-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Dark Star Gear clip IWB sheath is the obvious answer. I use mine with a China pick in no-gi shorts for the gym. Been using it for 2 years now without an issue. Running, lifting, being lazy around the house, etc. Fits nicely in the void between your hips and abs. Feels invisible.

I imagine if you had a ti Ban Tang you could clip it to your boxers and run in those too.

blake_g
08-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Dark Star Gear clip IWB sheath is the obvious answer. I use mine with a China pick in no-gi shorts for the gym. Been using it for 2 years now without an issue. Running, lifting, being lazy around the house, etc. Fits nicely in the void between your hips and abs. Feels invisible.

I imagine if you had a ti Ban Tang you could clip it to your boxers and run in those too.

There is no void between my hips and (former) abs, however I have carried my China Pick in the sheath without the soft loop in my pocket...

JCS
03-08-2017, 11:02 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/789fea0fd391044281e536b01f4a2182.jpg The dsg clip is awesome. This knife goes everywhere with me now!

mmc45414
03-08-2017, 11:30 AM
I'd not go in the water in Lake Erie.

I know what you're saying. I probably won't get more than my feet wet.

Do you guys have specific recent water quality info that something has changed? Haven't been up since my grandmother died (she had a beach house on Cedar Point) but have been swimming in it all my fairly long life. I do know there was an algae problem a while back but I thought that was cleared up.

orionz06
03-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Do you guys have specific recent water quality info that something has changed? Haven't been up since my grandmother died (she had a beach house on Cedar Point) but have been swimming in it all my fairly long life. I do know there was an algae problem a while back but I thought that was cleared up.

That was more specific to Presque Isle and no clue.

blues
03-08-2017, 11:39 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/789fea0fd391044281e536b01f4a2182.jpg The dsg clip is awesome. This knife goes everywhere with me now!

You'd better have Tom J. build ya a gadget for that so you don't cut your dick off while reholstering. ;)

mmc45414
03-08-2017, 11:50 AM
That was more specific to Presque Isle

It does look like they may have had some issues.

Irelander
03-08-2017, 12:07 PM
I don't know of any recent data but it seems like I hear about dangerous levels of algae or bacteria in the water at Presque Isle way too often.

mmc45414
03-08-2017, 12:53 PM
I don't know of any recent data but it seems like I hear about dangerous levels of algae or bacteria in the water at Presque Isle way too often.

Yes, my Google-fu showed that to be an issue. I am not familiar with that area, all my experience was in Sandusky, about right in the middle between Cleveland and Toledo. When the river in Cleveland got famous for catching on fire in 1969, people would flip when you said you were in the lake, like you would have to sweep turds out of the way as you swam. At the park they monitored the beach daily and through the worst of it the water was considered unsafe just a handful of times.

It used to be industrial dumping, now I think most of the danger is fertilizer runoff and antiquated septic systems.

JCS
03-08-2017, 01:45 PM
You'd better have Tom J. build ya a gadget for that so you don't cut your dick off while reholstering. ;)

I hear it's coming.... SOON...

Isaac
03-08-2017, 03:32 PM
Ti blade owners: whats the edge like? After a few uses does it need to go back to maker for refresh? I've been on the fence about picking up a Ban Tang version for a year now.

Wondering Beard
03-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Ti blade owners: whats the edge like? After a few uses does it need to go back to maker for refresh? I've been on the fence about picking up a Ban Tang version for a year now.

Ban's CPs have tungsten carbide edge. Don't worry about it getting dull for a long time.

It's not quite shaving sharp though, but it's "toothy" so it still cuts really well.

Isaac
03-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Thanks, WB, haha. Apparently I didnt need much to be pushed over the edge! Do you also happen (or anyone) to know if Darkstar needs the Ti CP to make a sheath for or do they fit the standard ones fine?

Dark Star Gear
03-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Thanks, WB, haha. Apparently I didnt need much to be pushed over the edge! Do you also happen (or anyone) to know if Darkstar needs the Ti CP to make a sheath for or do they fit the standard ones fine?

The Ban Tang knives, all off them, will need to be sent to a sheath maker to do it right. The way he makes them relative to the production models doesn't work and my BT Ti CP is different than the others as well. Grind lines and all that are just off enough and the manner in which they're formed doesn't lend itself to any variance.

Prdator
03-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Our Clipper sheath is Fit for the Steel or TI, Ban Tang CP. ;-)