PDA

View Full Version : S&W 3.5" .357 Magnum.

Dagga Boy
08-09-2016, 03:06 PM
So, I did not want to mess up the Baby thread with the beautiful Model 27's. Before there were model numbers, there was the .357 Magnum. These are truely my favorites. Not as rare as the Registered Magnum's of the Pre War era, and built in a time when they were being bought by the studs who just kicked the crap out of th Nazi's and Imperial Japan. It was a new era of the beginning of the Nuclear age and a new kind of world. Think about the cars of the 50's. Well, these are the guns.
In my first photo we have a pretty much dead stock Pre 27 3.5" along with an interesting engraved model. The engraved gun was a gift to a young Air Force officer who just graduated from SMU in Dallas and was being sent to Korea. As an officer he was allowed to use a personal sidearm, and the 3.5" .357 Magnum was a great choice. From Korea he also spent time in Japan and shot the gun extensively there. Prior to returning to the United States it was engraved in Hopkiddo Japan. Once back in the United States it was sent to Smith & Wesson, reblued and never shot again. Enjoy, this is what awesome looks like.

Trooper224
08-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.

I've never seen two more perfect examples of the type. Great examples from both ends of the spectrum. That engraved one would be a grail gun for me. Where do you find such gems? Words cannot describe how impressed I am.

Joe in PNG
08-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Yes, there is just something about the 27 that grabs me, more than any other revolver.

Wondering Beard
08-09-2016, 03:27 PM
These are fantastic.

Can you show us more detail of the engraving? Since it was done in Japan, I'm curious as to what sort of patterns were done.

Trooper224
08-09-2016, 03:28 PM
What's that on my seat? Uh oh, better clean that up before Mrs. Awesome gets home. :)

Dagga Boy
08-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.

I've never seen two more perfect examples of the type. Great examples from both ends of the spectrum. That engraved one would be a grail gun for me. Where do you find such gems? Words cannot describe how impressed I am.

Oh wait.....there is more to come. I just don't want to dump it all too early. I also posted the wrong picture. This one likely shows the engraving better. I really like the Japanese engraving style.

Joe in PNG
08-09-2016, 03:48 PM
This one likely shows the engaging better.

Misspelled, but still right. That is engaging...

Dagga Boy
08-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Misspelled, but still right. That is engaging...

Fricking auto correct......thanks, I fixed it.

Wondering Beard
08-09-2016, 04:13 PM
This one likely shows the engraving better. I really like the Japanese engraving style.

It may be my eyes but I can't see much more.

Dagga Boy
08-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Try these....

Wondering Beard
08-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Thank you.

I used the zoom feature on Chrome for more detail; it's impressive and I do like that style of engraving (though I know precious little about engraving to begin with)

Kimura
08-09-2016, 04:26 PM
So, I did not want to mess up the Baby thread with the beautiful Model 27's. Before there were model numbers, there was the .357 Magnum. These are truely my favorites. Not as rare as the Registered Magnum's of the Pre War era, and built in a time when they were being bought by the studs who just kicked the crap out of th Nazi's and Imperial Japan. It was a new era of the beginning of the Nuclear age and a new kind of world. Think about the cars of the 50's. Well, these are the guns.
In my first photo we have a pretty much dead stock Pre 27 3.5" along with an interesting engraved model. The engraved gun was a gift to a young Air Force officer who just graduated from SMU in Dallas and was being sent to Korea. As an officer he was allowed to use a personal sidearm, and the 3.5" .357 Magnum was a great choice. From Korea he also spent time in Japan and shot the gun extensively there. Prior to returning to the United States it was engraved in Hopkiddo Japan. Once back in the United States it was sent to Smith & Wesson, reblued and never shot again. Enjoy, this is what awesome looks like.

This is what awesome looks like is right. Wow.

45dotACP
08-09-2016, 04:44 PM
I just got a revolver boner

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SMD
08-09-2016, 04:59 PM
Congrats on that one. And thanks in general for sharing your collection recently.

coldcase1984
08-09-2016, 05:02 PM
I'm fixing to have a spell! That's awesome. Dad picked a 5-in. Pre-27 for one of his flight crew weapons in two tours over Korea during the war. Gotta find those Magna grips up at the Ranch!

Wobblie
08-09-2016, 05:04 PM
I love the 27s. Too bad my little Rachael-hands can't shoot 'em.

Inkwell 41
08-09-2016, 05:20 PM
The 3 1/2" 357 Magnum in a word... panache.

Beautiful revolvers, sir. Thank you for sharing.

TCB
08-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Those make me feel like I'm lacking...you're a bad man.

Lex Luthier
08-09-2016, 10:31 PM
That engraving looks top-notch, and done in an unusual style. It is sized and placed in a way that "breaks the frame" . This is a much different approach than typical US or even German or British engraving of the era. Thanks for showing these.

A pre-27 .357 Magnum is a thing of terrible beauty.

JAD
08-09-2016, 10:35 PM
I just got a revolver boner
At my age we call that a reviver.

Dagga Boy
08-09-2016, 10:51 PM
That engraving looks top-notch, and done in an unusual style. It is sized and placed in a way that "breaks the frame" . This is a much different approach than typical US or even German or British engraving of the era. Thanks for showing these.

A pre-27 .357 Magnum is a thing of terrible beauty.

When I got called about this gun being available, it was the Japanese engraving that made it a must have. It is really unique and the gun is flat stunning in person. I have great Japanese art and a whole room in my home with Japanese art, pottery, and other items from Japan. It is an interesting culture and I spent a lot of time with my Japanese photographers. I also had the honor of training some full time hostage rescue team cops from Japan who came to the US to train with me. I have always been fascinated with the Japanese warrior culture and the Samurai, so one of my all time favorite guns engraved in Japan with a unique style was a total no brainer. The gun came with stock grips, but a set of exquisite Elk stocks are a perfect fit for this gun.

Tamara
08-09-2016, 11:09 PM
Well, I don't get to play in this thread because my pre-Bangor Punta 27 still has a model number rather than a glamorous name. :(

Jac
08-09-2016, 11:26 PM
To my eye, S&W only ever needed to make 27s with 3.5" barrels, and 19s with 2.5". Perfect lines...

Drang
08-09-2016, 11:36 PM
Man.
Come home from work.
Take a shower.
Grab a beer.
Check P-F.com. See this thread.
Now I gotta go take another shower.

Dagga Boy
08-10-2016, 07:27 AM
Well, I guess we are ready for more. This factory nickel was shipped to the United States Army in 1957. The ivories are stunning. I have a feeling the original owner likely worked under Gen. Patton and wanted a "killing gun" of their own for retirement.

rsa-otc
08-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Well, I guess we are ready for more. This factory nickel was shipped to the United States Army in 1957. The ivories are stunning. I have a feeling the original owner likely worked under Gen. Patton and wanted a "killing gun" of their own for retirement.

I'm not a fan of nickel plated guns but..... Gawd D....m that's gorgeous.

Dagga Boy
08-10-2016, 12:11 PM

This is why choices are important of which 1950's gun you want to carry as the mood or situation changes.

Lester Polfus
08-10-2016, 12:32 PM
Good God man. How do you choose which to carry? I'd dither for hours.

Welder
08-10-2016, 01:16 PM
I used to look at my 657 and think I had enough N frames.

deputyG23
08-10-2016, 02:11 PM
This is why choices are important of which 1950's gun you want to carry as the mood or situation changes.

Lord, have mercy, that nickel .357 is killing me....

Jeep
08-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Lord, have mercy, that nickel .357 is killing me....

All three are killing me. The fact that they all have the same owner is utterly stunning.

Dagga Boy
08-10-2016, 02:51 PM
I'm fixing to have a spell! That's awesome. Dad picked a 5-in. Pre-27 for one of his flight crew weapons in two tours over Korea during the war. Gotta find those Magna grips up at the Ranch!

I love the fact that in the 50's these things were really popular with our troops. The nickel and Ivory gun was shipped to the US Army. In honor of your dad and Skeeter Skelton....Pre-27 5" with smooth target grips. It had magna's but they just looked small on this monster.

Trooper224
08-10-2016, 03:03 PM

I am and that's an awesome one. The ivories make it even more so.

Trooper224
08-10-2016, 03:22 PM

That's like the holy trinity right there.

Trooper224
08-10-2016, 03:23 PM
I love the fact that in the 50's these things were really popular with our troops. The nickel and Ivory gun was shipped to the US Army. In honor of your dad and Skeeter Skelton....Pre-27 5" with smooth target grips. It had magna's but they just looked small on this monster.

Due to Skeeter, I've always had an interest in the five incher. I've yet to come across one though.

coldcase1984
08-10-2016, 04:41 PM

Thank you, DB! Dad liked to say he settled on the 5-incher because of articles he read, Pre-Skeeter-era, which stated it was the longest barrel practical for shoulder and belt use and, as he said "gave it a little more Stooch than shorter barrels."

I gotta find those Magnas or get some custom stocks for Dad's old rascal! Need some photos good enough to post here, too.

I used my twin 27-2 to effect an arrest following a car chase and wreck back in 2000. After kicking BG in the ass to knock him down, he spun and started to get back up, but saw that horse pistol leveled and complied instantly! Something about seeing those four hollowpoints has a calming effect.

Finally, that Nickel Patton model kills me! I'd like to find any generation with the McGivern-style front sight; I'd carry it at work.:cool:

rsa-otc
08-10-2016, 07:23 PM

Now that blued one on the bottom, that's right up my alley. I could get lost in the old world craftsmanship bluing.

DB I hope you handout white cotton gloves and bibs when people come over wanting to drool over your collection.

Dagga Boy
08-10-2016, 07:41 PM
Now that blued one on the bottom, that's right up my alley. I could get lost in the old world craftsmanship bluing.

DB I hope you handout white cotton gloves and bibs when people come over wanting to drool over your collection.

Yea, the gun was re blued by S&W in the mid 50's after it was engraved in Japan. I guess it was fairly inexpensive in that era to get very hig quality engraving done for GI's stationed in Japan. The Japanese engravers apparently use a very different technique for how the hammer and cut than the classical European style engravers. It is a wonderous gun.