PDA

View Full Version : Meet Baby.

Trooper224
08-08-2016, 08:31 PM
This is Baby, a S&W Model 27-2 manufactured in 1974, my all time favorite handgun. I had the camera out today for another project, so I thought I'd take some glamour shots.
http://m8.i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/163837098.ez2ovt4N.jpg

I started my LE career with one of Baby's siblings, in four inch configuration. It was 1991-92 and I'd been freed from my servitude to Uncle Sugar and had the bright idea that I should become a cop. I'm still wondering if that was a good idea. :) At the time the transition from revolvers to semi-autos was well under way. However, the small department I started with, with just over a hundred personnel, mandated the wheelgun. I'd been a devotee of the 1911 during my military service and remain so to this day, but I've always loved revolvers. Wheel guns are real guns, as the saying goes. In fact, all of my fun guns are revolvers. You know, the ones that I pull out of the safe and think, "Jeez, that's cool." Consequently, it didn't fill me with any great degree of consternation to have to carry one.

I then looked around for a piece for which to cast my shekels and found that first Model 27. It had been made in the 80's and was one of the last pin and recessed examples of the kind made. At the time everyone considered the revolver to be a dead horse, so I acquired that first one for the sum of $300. It fit my big hands like a glove, a fact that cemented the Smith & Wesson N frame revolver in my affection. K and L frames are a bit small for me and J frames are laughable, but the big N frame is perfection. To this day the N frame Smith's are my favorite wheel guns, in all their various configurations. Back then, if you still carried a revolver and wanted to be one of the cool kids it was an S&W L frame 686, or maybe a Ruger GP100. Consequently, I recieved a bit of ribbing from my coworkers because of my big iron. I could have cared less as the fit was perfect and I could fire the heaviest magnum loads out of it with minimal wear and tear on either myself or the weapon. The other lone outlier was my Lieutenant, who carried a nickeled Colt Python. We simply prided ourselves on being connoisseur's of fine shooting iron, whereas the colonials, in their ignorance, simply didn't understand. That original example served me well and we shared a few highly sporting moments together. Then, in a moment of supreme stupidity, I let it go. By then I'd gone to work for the state and had to carry the mandated hardware, so the big iron languished in the safe. Eventually I traded it off for something I thought I needed more, which I didn't and proceeded to kick myself for it for the next fifteen years.

Then, the gods of fire and thunder finally took pity on me and I found Baby.
http://m0.i.pbase.com/g3/64/521964/2/122525060.JnlPUAip.jpg

She had saved herself for me all that time, waiting unfired in her factory box since 1974, nestled in dried grease and wrapped in Smith and Wesson wax paper, knowing I would find her at that gunshow in 2008. The seller quoted his price, which needless to say was far more than what I paid for the first one, and I paid it without hesitation. I caused a bit of teeth grinding amongst Smith & Wesson collectors when I voiced my intention to make this one a shooter instead of a safe queen, but life is far too short to deprive oneself of such pleasure and what a shooter she is. The double action trigger pull is typical of S&W's of the era: smooth but heavy. My Timney Trigger Gauge tops out at ten ponds and I'm pretty sure it goes past that, but feels like ball bearings on glass. As such, the trigger weight isn't a handicap to good shooting. The single action trigger is a glass-like three pounds, so when you put your finger on the trigger you're past the point of consideration. I tend to gravitate to the S&W's manufactured in the early to mid 1970's as they tend to exhibit much of the old world quality of their forebearers, but without quite so hefty a price tag. This one fills that bill to a tee.

Like many things the original factory grips have become collectable in themselves. This is primarily because most of us threw them away as soon as we purchased the pistol. They were either too big, too small, or felt shaped like a carpenter's square. Because of this those throw away grips have risen far in value. Consequently, I immediately dismounted the oversized factory target grips and put them and the factory box away for safe keeping. I settled on a pair of grips made from sandalwood, by a now defunct company out of Thailand. They fit my hand as if custom made and for a princely sum of $35.00 work quite well. In fact, I've put the same grips on all my heavy recoiling N frames. However, I'm thinking something more traditional looking might be in order. Perhaps a set of target grips from Culina?

http://i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/163837101.NdlDmBag.jpg
http://i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/163837102.51g5sPxa.jpg
http://i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/163837109.CLFrphyG.jpg

The fine details present on the Model 27 have always appealed to me, like the checkering on the top strap and barrel rib as well as the pinned barrel and recessed chambers. None of these things were really necessary, but were instead marks of quality, from a time when companies did things because they could as a way of making a statement.

http://i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/163837106.bnVi2xBv.jpg

In my mind nothing looks tougher than the three and a half inch barrel on the 27. It may exacerbate muzzle blast and flash, no, it definitely does do those things. However, everything in life should be done with style, so we make sacrifices for fashion.

http://i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/163837111.WYMLCmhZ.jpg

I fully believe the revolver is obsolete when compared the the semi-automatic pistol and as such, I no longer carry one for any serious purpose. On the other hand, everything in life doesn't have to be, nor should be, judged strictly from a tactical perspective. Somethings can be appreciated for their quality and craftsmanship and simply for their cool factor. We can take joy in the simple possession and use of such things simply for their own sake. These are the reasons why Baby is my favorite handgun and will probably remain so. In fact, she may just be buried with me.

BehindBlueI's
08-08-2016, 08:37 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/wmuqpmtGeVv1K/giphy.gif

Totem Polar
08-08-2016, 08:43 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/ec/ec26da759856de5d2b1f477a528e5d08b94f95ec724932bdea 1afc563e6ce8bf.jpg

Dagga Boy
08-08-2016, 08:46 PM
I absolutely love the 3 1/2" S&W N frame .357. There is something special about the way they balance and feel in the hand that makes you feel like you can look evil in the eye....and kill it. They are for the hunting of men. I will post a picture of my beater. Tomorrow, I am bring something special home and will start another thread so as not to ruin the awesomeness of this one. That is a killer looking 27. Great post.

Trooper224
08-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Daryl, I couldn't have said it better myself. Holding this one makes you feel like you can slay dragons.

Joe in PNG
08-08-2016, 08:53 PM
That is so freaking awesome, and I would so want one of those.

Bigghoss
08-08-2016, 09:21 PM
http://orig13.deviantart.net/3e12/f/2012/057/d/f/facebook_fap_button_by_muttsurini-d4r2b82.png

SeriousStudent
08-08-2016, 10:44 PM
That is a glorious pistol, suitable for men and women who dare great deeds.

Thank you for the photos, they warm my heart.

ReverendMeat
08-08-2016, 10:46 PM
I'm not even that big into revolvers (though I do love my pre-lock 586 with all my heart) but DAMN.

That is just gorgeous.

Kram
08-08-2016, 10:49 PM
Now that is a stunning looking revolver. I would love to find an example like that.

45dotACP
08-08-2016, 11:02 PM
Sexy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FNFAN
08-08-2016, 11:52 PM
That's gorgeous!

My very first handgun was a 6.5" 27 which disappeared coming back from S&W after a spa treatment. I still have a 4" 28 and a pristine 5" bought from one of my old Sgt's. My Dad bought a 3.5" 27 about 20 years ago and I've become its caretaker as his faculties fade.

They're lovely old machines and that was a lucky find for you!

Hi-Point Aficionado
08-09-2016, 09:32 AM
This is Baby...I fully believe the revolver is obsolete when compared the the semi-automatic pistol and as such, I no longer carry one for any serious purpose.

https://youtu.be/28A9Jgo92GQ

Trooper224
08-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Thank you gentlemen.

It took me a long time to find this one. It didn't take me long to realize what a mistake I'd made in getting rid of the first one. My realization was probably helped along by a former partner from my first department, who'd always tried to buy it from me. He made some very salty comments about my lineage when he found out I'd let it go to someone other than him. I used a Colt Python before the 27, but found the N frame suited me better. At that point in life finances dictated that I give up one to get the other, so the Python went on down the road. I've never regretted that decision. I only wish I had the Colt back so I could sell it to these dupes who think they're worth 3K. :) I spent years looking for another 27, but timing and finances never seemed to align. Either I didn't have the money at the time, or the pistol was a worn old beater. These things just aren't common in my neck of the woods, but all sorts of stuff started to come out of the closet after the crash in '08.

I remember walking out the door that morning headed to the gun show. My wife asked me if I was looking for anything in particular and I told her, "It sure would be great to find another 27." I didn't really expect it though, but there it was on that old boys table. I tried to mask my excitement as best I could and we dickered on the price a bit. He did come down a little, but I didn't dicker too much. It wasn't long before I had the blue box clutched in a death grip under my arm. As I walked by other dealer tables I was repeatedly asked, "Watcha sellin' there?" Not a damn thing! I then ran into several of my older shooting buddies who appreciate such things and they all went bug eyed when I opened the box. I sent photos to several S&W collectors I know and was told I'd done very well. One from Texas told me I could have gotten that for the pistol alone in fired condition, but unfired and LNIB as it was then, I could have pretty well set my price. To be honest, I just got lucky on the price tag. Whatever that old boy wanted I would have paid it and been glad to do so.

Good times.

Stephanie B
08-09-2016, 01:20 PM
A decent 27 is on my list. The last 27 I saw for sale had more surface rust than a farm bucket and was out of time on four chambers. And he wanted more than made any kind of sense.

Wondering Beard
08-09-2016, 03:22 PM
That is just beautiful.

Can you tell us a little more about the grips? They look just right for that gun.

Duelist
08-09-2016, 03:34 PM
I'd like to try a 27 someday. Till then, I will have to make do with my 3" 13-3. And try to find some decent grips for it.

Trooper224
08-09-2016, 03:38 PM
That is just beautiful.

Can you tell us a little more about the grips? They look just right for that gun.

The grips were made by Grand Blue Grips out of Bangkok, Thailand. These are made from Sandalwood and I really like the grain structure. I have three sets of these that I used for this one, as well as a Model 29 and a Model 57. They fit my hand perfectly and really soak up the recoil. At $35.00 you really can't beat them. Compare that to the cost of Hogue's or Herrett's and the quality is quite comparable. I did finish all of them with TruOil to seal the wood, as they didn't come with any kind of sealant. Unfortunately, the company now seems defunct. You can find similar grips for sale of ebay, also coming from Thailand. Might be the same people operating under another name or using the same grip patterns.

coldcase1984
08-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Lawd, what a handcannon. I need to get some utility grips for my 27-2 snubnose.

Greg
08-09-2016, 11:40 PM

Loves me some Lana Kane

Hizzie
08-10-2016, 01:28 AM
Simply stunning.

babypanther
08-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Wow, beautiful gun!

LittleLebowski
08-10-2016, 07:49 AM
I could only like that first post once despite hitting the button several times :(

11B10
08-10-2016, 08:46 AM
Thank you gentlemen.

It took me a long time to find this one. It didn't take me long to realize what a mistake I'd made in getting rid of the first one. My realization was probably helped along by a former partner from my first department, who'd always tried to buy it from me. He made some very salty comments about my lineage when he found out I'd let it go to someone other than him. I used a Colt Python before the 27, but found the N frame suited me better. At that point in life finances dictated that I give up one to get the other, so the Python went on down the road. I've never regretted that decision. I only wish I had the Colt back so I could sell it to these dupes who think they're worth 3K. :) I spent years looking for another 27, but timing and finances never seemed to align. Either I didn't have the money at the time, or the pistol was a worn old beater. These things just aren't common in my neck of the woods, but all sorts of stuff started to come out of the closet after the crash in '08.

I remember walking out the door that morning headed to the gun show. My wife asked me if I was looking for anything in particular and I told her, "It sure would be great to find another 27." I didn't really expect it though, but there it was on that old boys table. I tried to mask my excitement as best I could and we dickered on the price a bit. He did come down a little, but I didn't dicker too much. It wasn't long before I had the blue box clutched in a death grip under my arm. As I walked by other dealer tables I was repeatedly asked, "Watcha sellin' there?" Not a damn thing! I then ran into several of my older shooting buddies who appreciate such things and they all went bug eyed when I opened the box. I sent photos to several S&W collectors I know and was told I'd done very well. One from Texas told me I could have gotten that for the pistol alone in fired condition, but unfired and LNIB as it was then, I could have pretty well set my price. To be honest, I just got lucky on the price tag. Whatever that old boy wanted I would have paid it and been glad to do so.

Good times.

I am in awe of this firearm! Thanks for posting the story, too. Your post is the type of post that sets p-f apart from other forums.

Inkwell 41
08-10-2016, 09:16 PM
The 3 1/2" 357 Magnum just reeks of class. Someday, I will own one. 224, thank you for posting those pictures.

Rex G
08-12-2016, 09:19 PM
Beautiful.

Dagga Boy
08-12-2016, 09:44 PM
The 3 1/2" 357 Magnum just reeks of class. Someday, I will own one. 224, thank you for posting those pictures.

No, the 5" Model 27 reeks of class. The 3.5" guns "look at you like you owe them money" (shamelessly stolen description).

Nephrology
08-13-2016, 08:35 AM
No, the 5" Model 27 reeks of class. The 3.5" guns "look at you like you owe them money" (shamelessly stolen description).

Both of those are grail guns for me - especially the 3.5".

P.E. Kelley
08-13-2016, 09:47 AM
My first handgun is on the right. Purchased from Pachmayr's in LA back when I lived there. No 3.5" nor 5" were available.

But...never look a gift house in the mouth as that Mdl. 27 was a 21st birthday gift from my firearms instructor, friend, mentor and father.

The one on the left was his (now mine since his passing too many years ago) and is a post Registered but Pre model 27 sporting a 6.5" tube with my
favorite front sight.

IF... I have to make a shot...please let it be with my 27! It shoots lights out and looks handsome doing it.

http://www.multigunmedia.com/img/s/v-2/p1200854856-4.jpg

Dagga Boy
08-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Both of those are awesome. I imagine for a guy who runs a Webley like you do, running those 27's must look light shooting laser beams. I imagine that 6.5 can do some amazing things with the quality of the era and those sights.

P.E. Kelley
08-13-2016, 10:52 AM
Both of those are awesome. I imagine for a guy who runs a Webley like you do, running those 27's must look light shooting laser beams. I imagine that 6.5 can do some amazing things with the quality of the era and those sights.

You are correct! Both are light years above the Webley!

Won some money with the 4". Short story, yea right. California desert, me and a friend. Outside of my view, friend watches a couple of guys with 22 rifles
shooting at a tea cup and saucer down a small hill, never quite connecting. He wagers (again I know nothing) that his buddy can hit them first shot so sweat.
Bet is 20$ (this is 1981 I didn't have many 20's on board in those days) and I am called over by said friend. "Hey Pat can ya hit that tea cup down there?"
Me "yea I think so". It was a fair piece so I rolled the hammer back and left fly (oh how I miss perfect vision) SMACK porcelain drinking utensils render useless.

"Ya nice work Pat"...all right...pay up boys" Had I known I "may" have missed. WooHoo 10 bucks! Thanks Gregg!

Trooper224
08-13-2016, 02:24 PM
Great guns Pat. Six-inchers are cool too.
http://m5.i.pbase.com/g1/64/521964/2/104355675.qCqResm3.jpg

Trooper224
09-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Baby's got some new shoes. A set of targets by John Culina, in english walnut.
http://m7.i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/164104437.fXoKIfGx.jpg
http://m8.i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/164104438.dhtRQgb9.jpg
http://m3.i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/164104443.IYF5bbWK.jpg

Dagga Boy
09-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Bravo!!!

SeriousStudent
09-18-2016, 11:41 AM
Amazing grain - those are lovely.

Lex Luthier
09-18-2016, 12:13 PM
I will look Culina up. Those are really pretty grips, and his workmanship looks great from here.
Walnut (Claro, French, English, even Peruvian) is one of my favorite woods to work.

rainman
09-18-2016, 04:57 PM
A beautiful gun deserves beautiful grips. Thanks for the outstanding pics.

-Rainman

Trooper224
09-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Thanks guys. The color is actually richer than the photos convey, as is usually the case. The previous grips are fine, but I wanted something traditional on this one. They fit my hand beautifully too. I also have a set on order for my Model 14. John and his wife, Jennifer, are a pleasure to deal with. Revolver grip makers used to be plentiful, now they're a bit of a dying breed. It's good to see folks like the Culinas keeping the craft alive. Next it's a pair of Grashorn stags for the Model 10 snubby.

Trooper224
09-18-2016, 05:13 PM
Duplicate.

SeriousStudent
09-18-2016, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys. The color is actually richer than the photos convey, as is usually the case. The previous grips are fine, but I wanted something traditional on this one. They fit my hand beautifully too. I also have a set on order for my Model 14. John and his wife, Jennifer, are a pleasure to deal with. Revolver grip makers used to be plentiful, now they're a bit of a dying breed. It's good to see folks like the Culinas keeping the craft alive. Next it's a pair of Grashorn stags for the Model 10 snubby.

Neat! When those come in, please share more photos with us.

In the meantime, have fun with Baby. :)

entropy
10-17-2016, 11:29 PM
As usual, Im late to the party.

Wow.

Thats the only word that stumbles from my lips.

SLG
10-18-2016, 05:54 AM
All N's are nice, but your write up is what is really sweet, thanks for that.

I'm not a mid bore guy when it comes to fun guns, but I recently got a 5" M27, which is my favorite revolver size. How do you like the Culina's now? I have passed on them in the past for the hard kickers, but for the .357, they may be just right. Certainly a great looking pair you have there. (phrasing)