PDA

View Full Version : Slight pause at the press out when shooting, am I doing it wrong?

Dismas316
08-07-2016, 04:07 PM
I had a question regarding getting on the target quick from presentation through the shot. Now I have always done the press out as has been articulated on this forum where I get the sights on light, press out while slowly "staging" (not sure if this is the right term) and upon extension finishing the trigger pull.

Today I was at my range and one of the instructors wanted me to have a slight pause upon extension. His reasoning was he was watching me and said their was to much movement of the front of the gun at extension. Which he was right because my accuracy was off as usual, So he had me present very quickly, then do the normal press out with my finger staging the trigger, upon extension, I would pause to get my sights on and finish the pull. The slight pause at the end (maybe 1 or 2 hundredth of a second) seemed to be the difference. This was really helping with my accuracy, it seemed like forever when I paused, he had me exacerbate the pause to illustrate that it wasn't nearly as long as I thought.

I'm normally just over 2.4 seconds to present from my holster and get on target. I got my times were around 1.5 - 1.6 without a pause but not very accurate at all, was all over the place and honestly was having a hard time picking up the sight that quick, felt like I was more point shooting. He was able to get me to shoot much quicker and accurate by adding the pause and speeding up my presentation. Adding the pause I was consistently in the 1.6 - 1.8 range, which is really fast for me, and a good improvement. I was pretty accurate the majority of the time which was the best part of it.

By the way I was shooting at 3x5 card at about 5/6 yards. Had a staple in the middle as my poa, with the pause I was all over it, it gave me just enough time to actually see the front site and get on target. I seem to have a tendency without pausing to either jerk or move the sights enough to be all over the place. I had always thought/heard that you shouldn't pause but curious as to what you guys think. I know there are a lot of top notch shooters and instructors here and want to get your opinion. I don't really want to start practicing a flawed fundamental but at the same time seemed to work a little better for me and not sacrificing much time and all with better accuracy.

I tend to get into the minutia with this sometimes because I've learned over the years in anything, the fundamentals are the key, and as relatively new shooter the last few years I tend to really want to do things the right way. So you comments/suggestions would be very welcome.

GAP
08-08-2016, 06:11 PM
I like this approach:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WS7dgN8iu6Y

Dismas316
08-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Yep. Thanks for posting this. This was my demilna, the instructor was teaching me exactly as EL says is the wrong way and I was getting pretty fast but accurate shots. Intuitively I felt it was incorrect but my shot were more accurate with the pause. But one thing that I picked up from this video is getting to extension I was going way to fast that would cause me not to see the sights but as he showed he went slower to extension. Good point he makes is the speed is not how fast you get there but using the trigger finger properly.

GAP
08-08-2016, 08:15 PM
Track your sights as you push to full extension then press the trigger. Slow it down as much as you need to in order to avoid the pause at extension. This technique is much smoother than jerking your arms out there and searching for the sights.

You don't try to go fast, you just do it naturally through repetition because your movements take less effort.

It takes time and patience but most want the fast route.

JCS
08-08-2016, 08:33 PM
I like this approach:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WS7dgN8iu6Y

Thank you for this.

I struggle with this. It takes me much longer than I would like to find the sights on extension. Watching that made me realize I'm doing more of an elevator motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk