PDA

View Full Version : Steel Challenge anyone?

guymontag
08-07-2016, 10:49 AM
I used the search bar, only pulled up a thread from 2012 - who here likey the Steel Challenge?

What guns are you using? 22 LR? Gamer rigs? Carry gear?

Favorite stages? Ways to shoot your favorite stages? I want to hear about it!

Wheeler
08-07-2016, 11:31 AM
I usually shoot a 10/22 TD and either a model 17 S&W or a Ruger Mark 2. My favorite stage is Smoke & Hope. I've gotten down in the lower 2's with the rifle.

RJ
08-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Did one steel challenge match last year.

It was a blast. I used my normal game gun, HK VP9 with owb Blade Tech holster.

If it gets below eleventy billion degrees here in Tampa, I'd like to try it again.

peterb
08-07-2016, 01:43 PM
Shot my first one this spring using a Ruger Mk. II with a Fastfire III. Fun!

Glenn E. Meyer
08-07-2016, 02:09 PM
I like it and shoot a Buckmark but only once in awhile. Life is too busy for every game in San Antonio, sigh.

Buckmark is a fun gun. Maybe I'll shoot it as outlaw in IDPA to confuse all.

45dotACP
08-08-2016, 11:30 PM
Played with my 1911... it's fun as hell, but setup is tougher, it's less common and the 7 or 8 round stages impose a heavy time penalty if you shoot single stack and you miss...reloads take time and all that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rdtompki
08-09-2016, 02:26 PM
My wife and I both shoot SC with our SA 9mm 1911. We shoot 2 matches/month and practice 2x per week. It's a very mental game with a premium on concentration. Big emphasis on a)not missing and b)when you do miss having a fast make-up shot. I liken it to wack-a-mole - lots of moving parts and if you have to think about too much you're doomed; just when things are looking good you realize your support hand grip as wandered.

Drawing from a holster adds to the challenge, but also translates somewhat to SD/HD. I know if a BG ever enters the house wearing a black tee-shirt adorned with a white circle he's in big trouble.

45dotACP
08-09-2016, 04:59 PM
It's the shooting sport I wish was more popular. Very beginner friendly with the rimfire divisions, and you can shoot just about any handgun except maybe a revolver. Now they're owned by USPSA it'd be interesting to see crossover classifier stages or all steel classifiers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

P.E. Kelley
08-09-2016, 07:56 PM
Having "played" just about every shooting game, I love steel challenge type events!
They are good fun and offer me a quick "tune up" in skill-set as each match provides, lots of draws, a bunch of target transitions, smallish targets and if you are doing it right, the trigger finger and eyeball get "hooked-up" and then the fun really begins. Oh and no compunction
to whip out barely controlled pairs.

The events are cheap to shoot, short in duration and easy to set up, tear down and administer.

I use them as my "test protocol" in my Out of the Box to Match video reviews. You can check those out here.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLozplULUkPJu1L58S3KByZXRu5qEPVsfl