PDA

View Full Version : WWII Museum

Duelist
08-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Last month, I went to NOLA for a conference. I spent a few hours at the WWII museum, and took a bunch of pictures. They're all on my iPhone still, but since I'm lying here trying to not say "owie, owie," too much, I'll try to distract myself posting a few.

Not working. I'll ask Tom what's up.

Erik
08-05-2016, 08:08 PM
I was there last week. It's really fantastic.

Bigghoss
08-07-2016, 11:50 PM
If you're ever in Kansas City, check out the national WWI museum. Very cool.

StraitR
08-08-2016, 08:44 PM
Looking forward to pics.

Crews
08-09-2016, 02:18 AM
The building that has all the WWII planes hanging from the ceiling is absolutely insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duelist
08-09-2016, 02:37 AM
Ooh, it worked! This is one of the planes. I'll try to get more up tomorrow.

Duelist
08-09-2016, 11:12 AM

drmweaver2
08-09-2016, 02:26 PM
I've avoided this thread.. really I have... cause Ma' told me if I didn't have anything nice to say....

But I gotta tell ya, as a local resident, I'm not that impressed with it. Been there multiple (almost 'many') times as people from out of town always seem to want to go visit. I've seen it since it opened up and my most recent visit was this past week. My opinion is just that, an opinion, but it's an 'informed opinion'.

Save yer money. There are better museums with more informative displays and less "gimme money" requests at every turn. The large displays of aircraft, PT boat and vehicles are not truly approachable/viewable as far as looking inside goes. The glassed in smaller displays suffer from poor/garish/glaring lighting. The museum's restaurant is over-priced, way over-priced. The bookstore/souvinier(?) shop is limited and over-priced. And the guides are ... well, pretty nice people but not particularly knowledgeable - again, just my opinion.

Basically, it's a tourist trap trading on past history.

If I never went back I wouldn't be missing anything of value. Shrug. Seems like it's really a "for profit" museum despite it's tax status.

FWIW, I'm a vet myself. My cousins fought in WW2 and Korea. I wanted to like it, to have the past presented well. I am disappointed.
I've heard numerous stories about things the WW2 Museum has covered in the past. At best, it provides a thin overview of American Operations. At worst, it neglects some important aspects of the war, isn't responsive to constructive criticism, and fails to recognize that too wide a focus cheats those who have some knowledge on the things they present (those last comments relate to my relative's 1st person reactions when they've visited).

But if you have money and time to burn, by all means visit it.... New Orleans can certainly use your tourism dollars.