PDA

View Full Version : Lee powder scale accuracy?

That Guy
08-05-2016, 11:11 AM
So today I went to reload the last of a box of bullets. I was using a Lee Safety Powder Scale to weigh my powder charges - one of these: http://leeprecision.com/powder-handling/lee-safety-powder-scale/ I moved my scale so it's in a more convenient place, checked to make sure the sliding part is at exactly zero, locked it in place, zeroed the scale (moving the calibrating weight inside the beam until the scale shows precisely zero). I then moved the ball bearing from 0 to 10 and proceeded to weigh exactly 41 charges of 10,0 grains. After I was done, I moved the ball bearing back to 0 - and the bloody scale did not return to zero. Godsdamnit...

It wasn't terribly far from zero, so my reloads should still be usable. I did however spend time making sure my charges were quite precise. And now, apparently, they might not be. So, this annoys me. Also, it makes me question just how accurate are these scales in general, or if there is an issue with mine.

gringop
08-05-2016, 01:08 PM
Any air conditioning vents or ceiling fans that might be generating air currents hitting the scale? I can't see enough in the picture to see if the pivot points on that scale are metal or "phenolic" but if they are worn, dirty or misshaped that will cause problems.

I use an old Pacific/Hornady metal scale and I have had to reshape the pivot point edges as they wore. I now keep the balance beam off of the the base until I am using it to lessen the wear.

I would guess that a $35 dollar Lee plastic scale will not be repeatable to 1/10th gr. or if so, will not stay that way for long.

Gringop

Trooper224
08-05-2016, 04:31 PM
Do yourself a favor, get rid of that thing and buy a digital scale. It's well worth the expense.

Welder
08-05-2016, 05:45 PM
You aren't alone. I started with a Lee Safety scale and had the same issues. The advice to replace with a digital is sound.

That Guy
10-18-2016, 03:31 PM
In case anyone cares...

So, I haven't done any reloading in what seems like ages - but I left the scale zeroed and have made it a point to see where it points whenever I go into that work room. My theory is that the zero is temperature dependent, since the colder it is in the room, the lower the pointer. I don't know whether the shelf the scale is on moves a little or if it's the scale itself. But if my theory is correct, for best results the surrounding temperature should be kept as even as possible.

Rich@CCC
10-18-2016, 07:48 PM
I've found the Lee scale to very repeatable and as accurate as one could expect from it's price point. It is very susceptible to air flow and temperature but any scale is. Making sure you are looking at it from the same angle every time is helpful. It is far from the easiest scale to use. Make sure your table/stand/platform is level and true. Make sure the pivot blades and V's are clean(use air or a small brush, no oil, solvent or soap).

As far as digital scales go, Ive found they are no more accurate or repeatable than any balance scale. Just a little easier to set up and read.

Look around for an OHaus 10-10 scale. Arguably the best low priced scale ever made. I can't speak to the quality of the RCBS 10-10, but it's the same design.

TiroFijo
10-19-2016, 05:47 AM
All the balance scales from major makers are made by OHaus, and are excellent.

The digital scales are easier to read, and faster. For example, if you are going to check a lot of individual bullets or cases, or weight every powder load, they are the way to go. If you do mostly handgun caliber reloading in a progressive, where you check the powder doses only a few times, the balance scales are perfect.