PDA

View Full Version : S & W revolver gunsmith suggestion for Minneapolis-Saint Paul region?

Lex Luthier
08-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Long story short(er):

I started a dry fire regimen with my revolver after many years away*, and noticed that the cylinder has very slight play on lockup on 2 of 6 cylinders. There is also some slight ejector-rod runout.
The revolver in question is a 6" 1980 66-1 with a ball-detent crane lock installed around 1991 by the Bill Davis Service Center back in CA.
I've put about 5-6k through it, almost all .38 +p or standard semi-wadcutters.
Total rounds are probably in the 15k range for all three owners. None in the last 10 years, though that is about to change...
Anyway, I would like to get the timing checked out and the lockwork inspected by someone who knows their stuff.
Anyone have recommendations for someone in the Twin Cities metro area? (If there are 'smiths I ought to avoid, please free to PM me.)

And yeah, here are pictures. Please to excuse the grips. They were a nice compromise in 1990. Lots of smaller-handed newbies liked them and became shooters afterward.
I have the original goncalo alves Magnas in storage.

Thanks!

LL

*yep, you guys got me started- will start a training journal soon-ish.

Robinson
08-03-2016, 03:19 PM
Nice revolver. Yeah, I like wood stocks for looks but those Butler Creek grips were some of the best rubber grips for S&W revolvers. I think they were modeled after some of Craig Spegel's stock designs.

okie john
08-03-2016, 03:20 PM
Can't speak for anyone near you, but I've had good luck with Karl Sokol at Chestnut Mountain Sports (http://chestnutmountainsports.net/).

He's at 155 State Forest Road, P. O. Box 638, West Rutland, VT 05777.

Okie John

Stephanie B
08-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Not in the Twin Cities area, but LSG Manufacturing, which is a S&W repair center, did a nice job on fixing the timing of a Model 15 "no dash" for me.

LSG
10059 HWY 1476
COMANCHE, TX 76442
Phone: (325) 885-2700

richiecotite
08-04-2016, 03:10 PM
From my understanding, these were actually designed by Spegel for Butler Creek.

As always, I could be wrong...

I think they were modeled after some of Craig Spegel's stock designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lex Luthier
08-04-2016, 04:13 PM
From my understanding, these were actually designed by Spegel for Butler Creek.

As always, I could be wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my understanding as well.
Thanks to those who have made 'smith suggestions so far. I'll look them up.