PDA

View Full Version : Shot My First USPSA match

Mr. Goodtimes
08-03-2016, 08:38 AM
I've been wanting to get back into competitive shooting for a while now and finally did. I used to shoot 2 gun a little a few years back but fell out of it because of life. The local range hosts a nice USPSA match every tues and fri night so I think I'm going to start going a few times a month.

It was definitely a ton of fun. I shot production limited minor with my G19. I'm competitive but the main reason I'm there is to get me shooting my carry gun in a stressful environment, shooting, moving, reloading etc... I absolutely realize there are huge gaps in the gaming to real world transition but i definitely feel like I had some quality time behind the gun last night, and also had a great time. I also like some of the rules a little better than IDPA or 2 gun, the biggest being the ability to plan the stage as you see fit.

Now the competitive part of me really wants, in a really bad way, a 9mm 1911. A Colt Combat Unit Rail Gun may not be too far away in my near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke
08-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Congratulations man! Glad you had fun and shot good!

Mr_White
08-03-2016, 10:51 AM
I've been wanting to get back into competitive shooting for a while now and finally did. I used to shoot 2 gun a little a few years back but fell out of it because of life. The local range hosts a nice USPSA match every tues and fri night so I think I'm going to start going a few times a month.

It was definitely a ton of fun. I shot production limited minor with my G19. I'm competitive but the main reason I'm there is to get me shooting my carry gun in a stressful environment, shooting, moving, reloading etc... I absolutely realize there are huge gaps in the gaming to real world transition but i definitely feel like I had some quality time behind the gun last night, and also had a great time. I also like some of the rules a little better than IDPA or 2 gun, the biggest being the ability to plan the stage as you see fit.

Now the competitive part of me really wants, in a really bad way, a 9mm 1911. A Colt Combat Unit Rail Gun may not be too far away in my near future.

Awesome! Glad you had fun!

Clobbersaurus
08-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Good on ya for competing. I think competition has real benefits for those who are interested in pushing themselves in a stressful environment. Social stress is real and I've actually seen guys shaking before the start of a stage. You can't induce that kind of stress just shooting drills. It's also a ton of fun and great for those who have a competitive streak.

Cheers!

Cheap Shot
08-03-2016, 12:50 PM
USPSA Tue & Fri EVERY week. I'm jealous.

Glad you enjoyed and I agree you'll need a 9mm 1911. Why? Because I need one too!

Lomshek
08-04-2016, 09:30 AM

A single stack 9mm 1911 (if that's where you're going) is probably the least competitive way to spend money in USPSA you can possibly choose. The capacity and caliber hurt you in Limited and the SA trigger keep you out of Production.

Peally
08-04-2016, 09:34 AM
9mm 1911s are fun with practically zero recoil but the Glock 19 will get you pretty dang far in USPSA if you dedicate the time.

Lon
08-04-2016, 09:53 AM
A single stack 9mm 1911 (if that's where you're going) is probably the least competitive way to spend money in USPSA you can possibly choose. The capacity and caliber hurt you in Limited and the SA trigger keep you out of Production.

Uh? SS Division?

Peally
08-04-2016, 10:02 AM
You're shooting Minor PF in there, which is not ideal without a favorable stage design that offsets the penalties.

olstyn
08-04-2016, 10:11 AM
The capacity and caliber hurt you in Limited and the SA trigger keep you out of Production.

It's a matter of perspective and goals; they could be considered advantageous by an accuracy-focused shooter in Single Stack class, as they trade away power factor for capacity. (You can run 10-round mags in Single Stack minor.)

RJ
08-04-2016, 10:18 AM
Awesome!

Also recently (ok, well, several months ago) shot my first 'real' USPSA match. Great fun.

Hope to get back to my regular local range, as soon as it's not eleventy billion degrees outside here in Florida.

Talionis
08-04-2016, 12:42 PM
Glad you got out and shot a match! The 19 can do just fine in Production. If you can't fight the urge for a 9mm 1911, that is a great choice for Single Stack. In general Minor10 vs. Major8 in Single stack comes out to be a wash, with perhaps a slight advantage going towards Minor, especially where there is lots of steel. The two areas where minor is not a good choice in SS are: Classifiers, and Nationals. Both are clearly biased towards 8 round Major.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Awesome!

Also recently (ok, well, several months ago) shot my first 'real' USPSA match. Great fun.

Hope to get back to my regular local range, as soon as it's not eleventy billion degrees outside here in Florida.

Where are you in Florida? I'm in St. Petersburg.

RJ
08-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Where are you in Florida? I'm in St. Petersburg.

Largo, basically.

I've been at Wyoming Antelope Club for both the one USPSA match and also one Steel Challenge match.

I'm thinking of getting back at the end of August to the regular Tuesday night matches.

Give me a buzz if you ever get over to WAC, be great to say hi.

Rich

VegasHK
08-04-2016, 04:01 PM
I am also getting in to competitive shooting. Been shooting for over 30 years, and I'm a full time instructor for a very large Sheriff's Dept. I have been very interested in trying competition, but it never came together until here lately. So far I've shot 3 3gun matches, and last weekend I shot a USPSA match. All I can say is "WOW!" Fun and addictive. I do see the difference in competition and real life, but there are many parallels as well. There is stress, shooting on the move, as well as getting off the X so to speak. There are reloads on the move, and the HUGE thing I see is that it forces you to keep your head about you and scan and assess constantly. Something we always teach students is to break that tunnel vision. Competition does that very well.

When people say "competition will get you killed on the street" etc., I disagree. A trained shooter will see the difference. That's like saying a NASCAR driver can never drive on the street, or John Force can't drive a regular car. It's just a matter of matching tactics to application.