PDA

View Full Version : Sights For Quick Acquisition

Kennydale
07-29-2016, 05:42 PM
I have been using XS Big Dot sights on my carry firearms for about two years. Of late when I run drills (Public range nothing fancy) I tend to loose concentration on the front sight. Person who trains me does not like the XS Big Dot Sights at all. Thinking of switching to Trijicon HD sights with the Orange ring on front sight. Any suggestions. I carry specifically for SD. I am 66 and wear glasses.

HopetonBrown
07-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Ameriglo Hackathorn GL433, 10-8 Performance (he uses a larger 0.060 fiber as opposed to the more common 0.040).

Kyle Reese
07-29-2016, 05:49 PM
I'm a big fan of the Trijicon HD's, and all of my 9mm Glocks have them. Very easy to track that big orange dot.

BehindBlueI's
07-29-2016, 06:12 PM
I'm a big fan of the Trijicon HD's, and all of my 9mm Glocks have them. Very easy to track that big orange dot.

X2. I've been switching Sigs over one by one.

Imaposer2
07-29-2016, 06:15 PM
I can't recommend anything because I'm partial to the Big Dots myself. 20 years ago I would have loved the HDs, Ameriglo I-dot or Cap sights or the Truglo TFX sights. But, as I've gotten older (52 now) my once PERFECT sight is at the point that I have a hard time seeing the front sight without my cheaters on. And well, unless I just happen to be reading when I need a weapon, then that's not going to be a good thing. :( I need all the help I can get and the Big Dots are the easiest for me to use without my glasses. For range use only I'd pick one of the others since I can use my glasses anytime I shoot, But in the real world, a bad guy isn't going to give me time to put on my glasses so I can see my sights, so...

I just wish XS would come out with a version of their current Big Dot that uses a high contrast color like hi-viz green/yellow or florescent red in place of their current white. That would be about ideal for my eyes and needs.

Lon
07-29-2016, 06:26 PM
HDs or the Ameriglo CAPs. I prefer yellow.

HopetonBrown
07-29-2016, 08:51 PM
I just wish XS would come out with a version of their current Big Dot that uses a high contrast color like hi-viz green/yellow or florescent red in place of their current white. That would be about ideal for my eyes and needs.

They do. They're called Ameriglo Hackathorns and Trijicon HDs;-)

Imaposer2
07-29-2016, 09:14 PM

I wish! I've compared the three, and while I do like the color contrast of the HDs and Ameriglos, they're nowhere near as large as the BD front. Pretty close to the standard dot, but the BD is much larger. I have both on different guns and the BD works MUCH better for me.

Under perfect lighting where the color of the others helps, it helps. But, under other conditions the BD size works better for my eyes. Plus the BD express style shallow V rear works better for me and quick acquisition as well. I have a harder time picking up a smaller front when it's surrounded by a more traditional notch. It sucks getting older and my eyesight is probably the thing that bothers me most of all...

Here's hoping that XS will see the popularity of the florescent colors used by others and step up their game by at least offering it as an additional option to their standard line... That would be the best of both worlds for me and my sad old eyes...

Totem Polar
07-29-2016, 11:06 PM
Similar to posts above, I am smitten with a set of sights by Ameriglo that use a large orange front dot (with a small green trit tube in the center as a bone-toss to "low light") against a flat black, wide notch U shaped rear. Largely similar in concept to HDs and Hacks. Mine came on a Talo G43; buy the sight set, get a killer carry piece to go with it, IMHO.

I should mention that I had surgery for a detached retina on my dominant eye less than 100 days ago (marginal success), so my Ameriglo fandom has more than a touch of gratitude mixed in. I'll be putting these things on all my polymer, FWIW.

voodoo_man
07-29-2016, 11:23 PM
Another vote for trijicon HD sights.

Fastest sights I've used.

HCM
07-30-2016, 03:04 AM

X3 here.

Slightly cheaper alternative would be the Ameriglo Pro Glo's with your choice of rear sight (plain black, single / I dot or 2 dot rear).

Re Orange vs Yellow./ lime green - I prefer Orange. Long story short, if you have normal color vision orange will usually be best. If you are at all red / green color blind (many males are) you will likely prefer Yellow/ lime green.

HCM
07-30-2016, 03:20 AM

Not exactly. The shallow rear of the XS with its lack of reference for distance is is it's primary weakness. I've seen guys successfully run he XS stand at dot with the 10-8 rear on 1911's - sort of a poor mans HD.

HopetonBrown
07-30-2016, 04:40 AM
Not exactly. The shallow rear of the XS with its lack of reference for distance is is it's primary weakness. I've seen guys successfully run he XS stand at dot with the 10-8 rear on 1911's - sort of a poor mans HD.

It was a joke, dawg. I don't like XS Big Dots, and I love what TLG said about them.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/2140

El Cid
07-30-2016, 05:25 AM

This has been my experience as well. I had XS big dots on 2 pistols and have one already replaced with HD's. When I got them over 10 years ago they were the only high visibility fronts with tritium. But beyond 15 yards I found them severely wanting. They are a one trick pony in my book and I'd be hard pressed to take a shot in the real world that required any manner of precision (think hostage or bad guy who is at distance).

I've been predominantly using Trijicon bright and tough the last decade because my duty weapons had them (only option other than Mepro). As soon as I switched to the orange front HD's I fell in love. And my steel match times showed the improvement beyond the "feels faster" part of my brain.

I did dabble in the 10-8 with brass head and if the sun is behind you they are great. I still prefer the HD's by a wide margin over everything else I've seen. Only gripe is how stupid sharp the rear sight edge is. I've cut myself a few times in them.

BN
07-30-2016, 08:20 AM

I like the Warren .140" wide front sight. It isn't quite as big as the XS, but it shows up really well in combination with the Warren Wave rear. I don't like XS sights at all.

edit to add: you can get them at Dawson's.

23JAZ
07-30-2016, 09:04 AM
Another vote for HDs. I had I Dot Pros on my G19. When I got a G43 I had HDs put on it before I even left the LGS. After my first range trip with the 43 I immediately drove to the LGS to put HDs on the 19.

JCS
07-30-2016, 12:39 PM
Another vote for HDs. I had I Dot Pros on my G19. When I got a G43 I had HDs put on it before I even left the LGS. After my first range trip with the 43 I immediately drove to the LGS to put HDs on the 19.

What was the major difference that made you switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Goodtimes
08-01-2016, 11:15 PM
I really love my 10-8 sights. I have the .156 rear with a .115 front fiber optic and it's very fast as well as precise.

breakingtime91
08-01-2016, 11:27 PM
Another vote for HDs.

Paul D
08-01-2016, 11:33 PM
If you having a hard time seeing the front sight all the time, consider a red dot sight. That's what I'm doing. Otherwise, Trijicon HD is my favorite for my piss poor eyes.

Savage Hands
08-01-2016, 11:52 PM
Trijicon HD's or Ameriglo CAP variation here...

OnionsAndDragons
08-02-2016, 02:16 AM
Are you having trouble keeping focus on the XS Big Dots? Or using a different set as advised by your coach?

If you are having trouble keeping on the BDs, you should probably consult with an ophthalmologist regarding this issue. There may be a reasonable solution there. At worst, you ought to be able to get a bit better understanding of what may be going on and how it is likely to progress as you age.

If you can't keep on the BDs, I'm not sure any other HiVis sisghts are going to fix that. Maybe just throw some paint on one of your BD sets and see if that makes a difference before dropping a bill on new sights. That money may wind up being better spent on moving into a red dot sighting system as suggested by Paul D.

Irelander
08-02-2016, 12:16 PM
I'm looking for a sight set with a thin front and wide notch rear. I have been strongly considering the Ameriglo Defoor sights but I'm hesitant to go all black.

OnionsAndDragons
08-02-2016, 12:59 PM
I'm looking for a sight set with a thin front and wide notch rear. I have been strongly considering the Ameriglo Defoor sights but I'm hesitant to go all black.

Buy them. They are worth the money just for the experience if you don't have much black on black sight work. They are easy to paint if you want to. Also, I guarantee you could always flip them here for a small loss at worst.

I also really dig the TCAP front with Defoor rear.

HopetonBrown
08-02-2016, 01:16 PM
The Defoor sights seem like an odd choice if the OP wants a high visibility sight. I put a set on a 19. Since all my other pistols have fiber or gold bead fronts, my eyes were searching for something that wasn't there. Took them off and gave to a friend. I also didn't like the wide notch to narrow post ratio.

nwhpfan
08-02-2016, 01:53 PM
I think the best sights for "quick acquisition" are fiber optic front and a black rear.

https://dawsonprecision.com/1-seller-dawson-precision-glock-fixed-competition-sight-set-black-rear-fiber-optic-front/

Steve m
08-02-2016, 02:46 PM
X3 glock 19's with Defoore Rear T-Cap front, quick sight acquisition and still accurate. they work for me.

nwhpfan
08-02-2016, 04:08 PM

They are like 35$ on Amazon. If you don't like them you're not out much. I bet you'd get half back if you didn't like them and sold them.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-02-2016, 04:35 PM

10-8

spinmove_
08-03-2016, 06:42 AM
I think I also agree on getting your eyes checked. I've shot with Big Dots on a G19 and M&P9fs and know full well how large they can be. You either have a vision problem or you're trying so hard to focus on the front sight that you're over-focusing.

Either way, I'd look into Ameriglo I-dot Pros, Ameriglo Spartans, Ameriglo CAPs, or Trijicon HDs. Ameriglo's take on yellow/green seems to wash out for me and my eyes, so I'd vote orange there. Trijicon's HD yellow/green comes across as much more bright lime and stands out better than the orange front. Trijicon's HD orange is about the same as Ameriglo's orange, so those are pretty similar. It's going to be individual preference though based on what you see better.

If it's a carry gun now or ever will be, plenty of people tell me the Trijicon HDs cut you like a drug dealer you owe money to. I'd almost err on the side of caution and go Ameriglo. They're more affordable anywho.

23JAZ
08-03-2016, 09:58 PM
I'm hesitant to go all black.
Says Lana to Archer :eek:

dgg9
04-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Similar to posts above, I am smitten with a set of sights by Ameriglo that use a large orange front dot (with a small green trit tube in the center as a bone-toss to "low light") against a flat black, wide notch U shaped rear. Largely similar in concept to HDs and Hacks. Mine came on a Talo G43; buy the sight set, get a killer carry piece to go with it, IMHO.

Same here, surprisingly. Today I just traded in one of my last Gen3 G17's for a new Gen4 G17, and they had a "TALO" version there. I bought that on a whim, figuring the NS only added $60 to the price, and the OEM sights had to go anyway. It's an Ameriglo UC: Ameriglo orange h3 16 up front and what looks like a Trijicon HD rear but blacked out with no tritium on rear sights. I was amazed how quick it is to pick up. Shooting basically cold for the day (after maybe 10 rds to confirm POA/POI), it was good for a clean(*) 7.6 sec "The Test" which even when warmed up is usually 8.00 at best for me.

* "clean" meaning all in the black. 7 in 10 ring; 3 in 9 ring for purists.