PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on coated hard cast lead bullets

LittleLebowski
07-29-2016, 02:41 PM
The math isn't bad, savings of about $30 per thousand bullets from SNScasting.com and other places. The coating stays on the bullet even when you hammer the bullet flat and has been tested many times in suppressors, not leading them up at all. However, my preferred pistol powder (Titegroup) might smoke with them so I'm loading up some test rounds now.

The case for coated bullets looks compelling when shooting.300Blk subsonics compared to conventional bullets. I will be ordering some and will report back.

Sal Picante
07-29-2016, 02:52 PM
My advice? I'd stay away from titegroup and coated bullets. Titegroup tends to be harsh with them...

Overall, I've had a decent enough experience with them - except for one batch that seems to be on the soft side (lead-wise).

A load I really like, so far, is 3.5gr Win231 (also HP-38 from Hogdon - same stuff) and 147gr 9mm coated. This seems really soft...

Sal Picante
07-29-2016, 02:53 PM
BTW - I'm being very candid here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4408-Les-Journal&p=476285&viewfull=1#post476285

warpedcamshaft
07-29-2016, 03:02 PM
I've had similar issues with titegroup and SNS casting poly coated bullets.

JCS
07-29-2016, 03:07 PM
I just received 1000 bayou 147 grn bullets. I plan on using hp38 with them as I've read that titegroup will cause some smoke issues.

There's so many on the market it was hard to choose which one to go with. Fwiw I purchased the bayou bullets and had them on my doorstep 3 days later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sal Picante
07-29-2016, 04:21 PM
I just received 1000 bayou 147 grn bullets. I plan on using hp38 with them as I've read that titegroup will cause some smoke issues.

There's so many on the market it was hard to choose which one to go with. Fwiw I purchased the bayou bullets and had them on my doorstep 3 days later.

Work up to 3.5gr: super soft. Easy shooting. No smoke.

LittleLebowski
07-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Looks like I'm going with plated bullets for 9mm then, thanks gents.

LittleLebowski
07-29-2016, 04:29 PM
BTW - I'm being very candid here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4408-Les-Journal&p=476285&viewfull=1#post476285

I sincerely appreciate your candor there. Noted.

Mitch
07-29-2016, 04:38 PM
I've used 4.0 gr of titegroup with sns coated bullets. No smoke, no problems. I'm out now, but I'll order some more soon. If you want to try a small batch I'll send you a few to play with.

Edit: just read Les's post. Offer still stands, but if you don't want to take me up on it I get it. That's kinda scary and I may use unique from now on with them. I need to burn up a few pounds of that anyway.

BN
07-29-2016, 05:02 PM
I've been using 3.2 of Titegroup with Bayou's 147 coated bullets for about 2 years. Mostly in Glocks and CZ's. No leading problems at all. And I don't clean my Glocks very often. :) I've probably shot well over 10,000 of them, maybe closer to 20,000. I just measured a few and they are .356". I don't notice the smoke while shooting but I mostly shoot outdoors.

LittleLebowski
07-29-2016, 05:27 PM
I've used 4.0 gr of titegroup with sns coated bullets. No smoke, no problems. I'm out now, but I'll order some more soon. If you want to try a small batch I'll send you a few to play with.

Edit: just read Les's post. Offer still stands, but if you don't want to take me up on it I get it. That's kinda scary and I may use unique from now on with them. I need to burn up a few pounds of that anyway.

I'm good, I just got an SNS sampler in that I'll load up for shits and giggles anyway.

Now I just need to figure out whose plated bullets I want to use or if I want to try Bayou bullets.

BN
07-29-2016, 05:42 PM
I'm good, I just got an SNS sampler in that I'll load up for shits and giggles anyway.

Now I just need to figure out whose plated bullets I want to use or if I want to try Bayou bullets.

I wont use plated bullets any more unless that's the only bullet I can find for a certain application, like round nose bullets for a revolver. I had a bad experience with West Coast years ago. I bought a pallet of 30,000 bullets that would randomly keyhole. Took forever to shoot them up in practice. :( It's too easy to cut the plating when you crimp.

JCS
07-29-2016, 05:52 PM
I've been using 3.2 of Titegroup with Bayou's 147 coated bullets for about 2 years. Mostly in Glocks and CZ's. No leading problems at all. And I don't clean my Glocks very often. :) I've probably shot well over 10,000 of them, maybe closer to 20,000. I just measured a few and they are .356". I don't notice the smoke while shooting but I mostly shoot outdoors.

Are you using the stock Glock barrel?

BN
07-29-2016, 06:21 PM
Are you using the stock Glock barrel?

Yes, mostly Gen 3 and 4 with a little Gen 2 thrown in. Several different G-17, a G-19, G-26 and a few through a G-43.

Luke
07-29-2016, 06:25 PM
99% of what I've shot this year has been 125 blue boolits and titegroup. No smoke or issues. Might just be a issue with some, but I haven't seen it.

LittleLebowski
07-29-2016, 06:36 PM
99% of what I've shot this year has been 125 blue boolits and titegroup. No smoke or issues. Might just be a issue with some, but I haven't seen it.

Load data?

Luke
07-29-2016, 07:03 PM
I've done a few. But the ones I like were

3.7 grains titegroup 125BB 1.115 with a .377-.378 this was like 128PF

3.6 grains titegroup 125BB 1.105 with same crimp. Haven't chronoed but feels good and I got the load data off Enos.

Just play around with it. Les has done a lot of playing and I really value his opinion. I on the other hand have found something that worked and stayed there. I hope to do a lot of load development after September.

LittleLebowski
07-29-2016, 07:06 PM
Excellent and thank you.

Trooper224
07-29-2016, 07:10 PM

The main problem you're experiencing with your Berettas is their bore size being at the upper end of the 9mm spec. Go to a .357 or .358 size bullet and you'll have better luck, even with Titegroup. I experienced leading, or excessive polymer residue with the HiTech coating, in my Berettas until I increased the bullet diameter. I found a .358 bullet works best in mine. Straight cast without a coated doesn't produce any leading. The HiTech coated bullets work the same but with less smoke.

SnS gets their HiTech polymer coating from Bayou Bullets, who were the first to offer it in reloading. I've found the price to be equivalent and the shipping time is faster from Bayou.

Jared
07-29-2016, 07:11 PM
I use BBI (black bullets international). My 147 grain load is almost identical to Les. I actually use a tiny bit less HP38. It's worked well for me in my Berettas. I also use their 125 grain bullet and add 1 grain of HP38 to the 147 grain load. I've been very happy with it too.

I'm going to start experimenting with WSF soon, as I've got 8 pounds of it sitting there waiting on me.

Overall, I'll never do naked lead again. If I decided that I wanted something with a jacket, I'd go jacketed rather than plated.

nwhpfan
07-29-2016, 11:02 PM
I shot a few thousand coated "conical nose" 125 bullets this year with 3.6 1TG and a few thousand 147 RN with 2.9 TG through my G34. They were real accurate and shot great... Yes a little on the smokier side especially if the sun was behind the berm.

LittleLebowski
07-30-2016, 08:02 AM
At this point, I'm leaning towards dumping the savings I realized by buying Titegroup over other powders into plated 124s. Hopefully I get to finish loading up my SNS sampler pack and test them out this weekend.

Jared
07-30-2016, 09:30 AM
At this point, I'm leaning towards dumping the savings I realized by buying Titegroup over other powders into plated 124s. Hopefully I get to finish loading up my SNS sampler pack and test them out this weekend.

That's understandable. I can't exactly explain why, I've just never liked titegroup, so I never minded that fact that it isn't the best choice for coated bullets.

Actually, I do know why, all my loading manuals always made Win231/HP38 look much more versatile. Sort of like a ball powder version of Unique. So I always bought lots of those to keep the number of powders around lower.

Luke
07-30-2016, 09:43 AM
I really wanna try some of that 231 but in only have titegroup local. I like the idea of stopping by in the way home from work and buying my powder and primers.

JCS
07-30-2016, 12:37 PM
How do you guys go about determining the oal for your rounds. I did the plunk test this morning on a dummy round with the bayou 147 and it spun freely at 1.170. That seems really long. The load data in my lee book is showing to load them much shorter. Not sure how to proceed. I've been loading fmj at 1.150.

Jared
07-30-2016, 12:47 PM
How do you guys go about determining the oal for your rounds. I did the plunk test this morning on a dummy round with the bayou 147 and it spun freely at 1.170. That seems really long. The load data in my lee book is showing to load them much shorter. Not sure how to proceed. I've been loading fmj at 1.150.

I usually just use whatever the loading manual lists as long as it fits in the magazine.

ER_STL
07-30-2016, 02:15 PM
I just started with Bayou Bullets. I'm running Gen3 Glocks and I load

4.7gr WSF (was dropping 5.0gr for CMJ bullets)
124gr BB (pretty gold color)
Various SP primers
1.14" OAL

So far they seem pretty good and I haven't noticed any accuracy issues but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a professional bullseye shooter.

I've played with the degree of flare and crimp that I have set on the respective dies and so far the HiTek coating seems to hold up pretty well. I didn't see any exposed lead or significant impressions in the bullets that I pulled while reconfiguring my press.

dsa
07-30-2016, 04:48 PM

I load a dummy round to a length that it just fits in the mag. I then take that round (OAL) to the chamber and do the plunk test. Usually I will have to go a bit shorter to get it to pass the plunk test.

Sal Picante
07-30-2016, 05:42 PM

This is the thing has me unnerved - Titegroup and coated is usually not a bad combo - smokey a bit, but not supposed to do what happened to me...
Talking to SNS tomorrow bout the situation. We'll see.

There are SO many nice powders out there: Win231, WST, WSF, hell, Bullseye is not bad (a bit dirty, maybe).

Anyway - just be careful, and load safe.

Sal Picante
07-30-2016, 05:46 PM

Check this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?21586-Determining-OAL&p=479227#post479227

LittleLebowski
07-31-2016, 08:01 AM
This is the thing has me unnerved - Titegroup and coated is usually not a bad combo - smokey a bit, but not supposed to do what happened to me...
Talking to SNS tomorrow bout the situation. We'll see.

There are SO many nice powders out there: Win231, WST, WSF, hell, Bullseye is not bad (a bit dirty, maybe).

Anyway - just be careful, and load safe.

Copy, I'm still case gauging everything :D. I like Titegroup because it's cheap and I have 8lbs of it :cool:

LittleLebowski
07-31-2016, 08:41 AM
My .300Blk cast & coated bullets discussion thread:
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?21592-A-cheaper-way-to-reload-for-300Blk-for-training-amp-plinking&p=479396#post479396

ranger
07-31-2016, 01:38 PM
I like the Bayou Bullet 124 Coated LRN with 4.8 WSF - use it in all my 9mm loads. Used the Bayou 135s but ran into issues with the CZ P07 and P09 on seating depth and switched back to the 124s. I really like the Bayous as a general purpose 9mm practice load. Note - I try to keep a few thousand on hand before any panic buying starts.

Welder
07-31-2016, 03:08 PM
I just took delivery Friday of a case of 3300 Bayou 135 gr 9mm RN's; will be my first experience with coated although some of my fellow shooters in the area really like them. I normally buy oversize for the Beretta bores, but these will be going through a Bar-Sto barrel and should work fine at .356. Have Titegroup and 231 / HP-38 on hand and will update this thread with the results.

rojocorsa
08-01-2016, 01:34 PM
So is it always a rule of thumb that 9mm Beretta barrels are oversize?

cheby
08-01-2016, 04:32 PM
I have shot over 100K of various coated bullets for the last three years through Glocks and CZs. Blue Bullets, SNS, Precision, Bear Creek, and Black and Blue Bullets... All good. .355, .356, and even .358. Used Bullseye, Unique, Power Pistol, Titegroup, and 700x. All worked just fine. Some a little smokier, some a little dirtier. But nothing that would bother me considering the cost saving. They are as accurate as FMJ. Overcrimping could cause some issues (Keyholing) but plated bullets are much more sensitive to it in my experience. BTW, I do not get plated bullets at all. They are almost as expensive as FMJ but not as good as FMJ.
I might use FMJ to shoot a match that I care about but I buy coated bullets in bulk for practice.

45dotACP
08-01-2016, 06:12 PM
I like coated bullets a lot... I've shot tons of them through Glock barrels and they have worked well, and SNS is an IL business who really supports the shooting sports so I have no qualms sending them my money.

It helps that their bullets are great. I tried the blue bullets but their coating just didn't seem good enough to justify the difference. Plus you can get SNS coupon codes if you look around.

I have a decent powder supply and now should stock up on projectiles and especially primers for the inevitable gun run that'll occur in 2016/17

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JCS
08-01-2016, 06:38 PM
I like coated bullets a lot... I've shot tons of them through Glock barrels and they have worked well, and SNS is an IL business who really supports the shooting sports so I have no qualms sending them my money.

It helps that their bullets are great. I tried the blue bullets but their coating just didn't seem good enough to justify the difference. Plus you can get SNS coupon codes if you look around.

I have a decent powder supply and now should stock up on projectiles and especially primers for the inevitable gun run that'll occur in 2016/17

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The last gun run occurred before I was into guns or reloading. What were the hardest components to get?

45dotACP
08-01-2016, 06:41 PM
The last gun run occurred before I was into guns or reloading. What were the hardest components to get?

Same here...to be honest it was all gone. Bullets were pretty easy to source, but powder and primers were ridiculous. As was ammo.

olstyn
08-01-2016, 06:43 PM

Pistol powder was far and away the hardest to get, with primers a close second. Bullets were not too bad.

ranger
08-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Pistol powder worse, then primers, then projectiles - but, if you reloaded and shot in volume, your stockpile went down fast. If any one of those three (assuming you have brass) runs out then you are "out". I was soon on a waiting list on Bayou for bullets like a lot of other volume shooters.

JCS
08-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Dang. I have about 5 pounds of powder now but only 2500 primers. I'm going to really try and stock up until November.

LittleLebowski
08-02-2016, 09:44 AM
What weight/profile do you guys like for coated bullets in Glock 9mms?

Luke
08-02-2016, 09:48 AM
The general rule of thumb is 115 is the snappiest, 147 had a softer but bigger "push" and 125's are in the middle. All that of course can change dependent on the powder but from what I've seen, unless your doing very weird things with powder that's how they handle. To me the 147's feel "slow". As much as I hate the snap I love how quick the gun comes back down on target with 125's. I'd say just try them out, they all feel a little different.

As far as profile, I've only shot RN. I Really want to find some flat nose 9's because they leave a better hole in the target (gamer). Too scared to try anything new right now though.

Talionis
08-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Not Glock specific, but I like 125RN for all my 9mm purposes - HK pistols, 9mmAR, MP5. As others have mentioned, it has more perceived snap than 147's, but that isn't really a disadvantage, and I've come to prefer it. 125's are also cheaper than 147's, and I've found they feed in everything reliably which isn't always the case with 147's.

ER_STL
08-02-2016, 10:59 AM
What weight/profile do you guys like for coated bullets in Glock 9mms?

You'll get varying answers as a lot of it is personal preference but I've stuck with 124gr for 9mm. It's the middle of the road in terms of 'behavior', as Luke pointed out, and it also matches the weight of my carry ammo. I can load it to standard velocities for practice and +P if I want to mimic a carry load.

By the way, I've found WSF to be a fantastic powder for 9mm. It's relatively clean burning and it works for both standard and +P velocities. A standard loading for 124gr bullets (4.7gr to say 5.2gr) fills up just over half of the brass, making a double-charge just about impossible to miss. And post-ignition it smells good too.... :cool:

Sal Picante
08-02-2016, 11:44 AM
So... SNS looked at the projectiles I had and said the coating looked bad... The new hot dog color and red coatings are seriously more substantial than the older HiTek coating they
had given me. (Had gold coated stuff).

Titegroup and 125 with the new coating are much better... They took all of my 125's back and exchanged. (They're going to melt those down) I'm still running a few tests here to see what Titegroup does to the new coated bullets.

BTW - I have some .356" and .357" sized bullets. The Beretta favors the larger .357" bullets (shot some 35 yard groups - "hand sized"? I'll take it!) the smaller diameter bullets in the beretta don't seem to stabilize. The .356" 147's do seem more stable, however.

Welder
08-02-2016, 01:00 PM
So is it always a rule of thumb that 9mm Beretta barrels are oversize?

As much as I can, I try not to use the word, "always." On the 92 barrels I've slugged, they generally come out in the .357 to .358 diameter range. I've slugged four of mine, including several 92G's and a 92G-SD. The Bar-Sto Beretta barrel in my LTT gun slugs at .355 as it should. I've never slugged a PX4 barrel (although I need to) and so can't comment on that model.

When I shot lead in the past, I was using Penn Bullets' 125 gr LRN sized to .358. They needed more of a bell to keep lead shaving to a minimum...I was never able to eliminate it using the Dillon expander. Thus much leading of bores. The Missouri cast 147 FP's at .356 were much worse, and I'd get keyholing after a couple hundred rounds straight without cleaning. I loved everything about those bullets, but a person needs bullets to stay frontways.

I'll try some of these Bayou .356's in standard Beretta barrels to see what happens with them, but I don't have high hopes. Probably should have just ordered them in a size to fit the oversize bores and not worried about the extra .002 in the Bar-Sto, but it's too late now. :)

Sal Picante
08-02-2016, 03:09 PM
As much as I can, I try not to use the word, "always." On the 92 barrels I've slugged, they generally come out in the .357 to .358 diameter range. I've slugged four of mine, including several 92G's and a 92G-SD. The Bar-Sto Beretta barrel in my LTT gun slugs at .355 as it should. I've never slugged a PX4 barrel (although I need to) and so can't comment on that model.

When I shot lead in the past, I was using Penn Bullets' 125 gr LRN sized to .358. They needed more of a bell to keep lead shaving to a minimum...I was never able to eliminate it using the Dillon expander. Thus much leading of bores. The Missouri cast 147 FP's at .356 were much worse, and I'd get keyholing after a couple hundred rounds straight without cleaning. I loved everything about those bullets, but a person needs bullets to stay frontways.

I'll try some of these Bayou .356's in standard Beretta barrels to see what happens with them, but I don't have high hopes. Probably should have just ordered them in a size to fit the oversize bores and not worried about the extra .002 in the Bar-Sto, but it's too late now. :)

I've found the 147's in .356" seem to stabilize alright... Interestingly, some slower powders (CFE and Power Pistol) stabilized the .356 125's a bit better too ... (this was bayou 125's)

.357" seems a safe bet for most pizza guns.

Plated .356" seemed GTG.

Welder
08-02-2016, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I only had one powder back then...and I was still loading my 9 on a Rock Chucker! :eek: So at least for my 92G-SD, the Missouri Cast 147 FP's in .356 with 231 at around 128 PF weren't reliable after a bit of lead built up. They did fine at first and punched those nice big holes (for 9mm) that I like. Nowadays I would've tried upping the velocity a little more to see if they'd be better stabilized, but I was even dumber then than I am now. :)

In other news, I just finished out a case of MG 125 gr JHP's in .357 diameter (marketed for revolvers / nose profile much more rounded than the 124 gr 9mm HP's) and they shot great. Incidentally those didn't feed well in either of the PX4 Compacts I had at the time until I shortened the OAL by about .015. The PX4 Subcompact with its tilting barrel and the 92's fed them well as I had originally made them. I ran them through the .355 Bar-Sto barrel as well with no ill effects.

Agree that .356 plated seems to work fine in the Beretta oversized bores. They do go faster in the tighter Bar-Sto barrel, but hard to tell if it's because of a better gas seal or a smoother bore.

rojocorsa
08-02-2016, 06:49 PM
Thanks TBone550. The 92G-SD is my main flagship, but I also have to feed my M-9 and Inox 92.

If.357 coated pills work in a Gen 3 Glock 19, I'll take it.

camsdaddy
08-02-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm interested to hear how the new sns coating plays out especially with with titegroup. I load 158 lswc with 3.5 titegroup and have been pleased with bluebullets brand. I have just loaded the last I had and time to reorder. I have been loading acme 147 wadcutters with 2.8 bullseye but have noticed I'm shaving some if the coating off so I was gonna try something new and if I can get both from sns I may give it a try especially if I can find a coupon.

dbateman
08-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Hard cast coated is pretty much all I shoot in pistols these days.
The coating is a game changer.

Getting ready for a run of 38super.

I did try some 2*0gr round nose in the 300blk, it works well but I think it needs to be a hollow point. Not that it's a big problem but I had a few issues with over penetration.

LittleLebowski
08-03-2016, 07:06 AM
I've got my SNS sample batches loaded up and ready for testing, just waiting to borrow a good friend's chrono (I'm watching various forums for a used, decent chrono).

Sal Picante
08-03-2016, 12:51 PM
I've got my SNS sample batches loaded up and ready for testing, just waiting to borrow a good friend's chrono (I'm watching various forums for a used, decent chrono).

Needs some pictures...

Sal Picante
08-03-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm interested to hear how the new sns coating plays out especially with with titegroup. I load 158 lswc with 3.5 titegroup and have been pleased with bluebullets brand. I have just loaded the last I had and time to reorder. I have been loading acme 147 wadcutters with 2.8 bullseye but have noticed I'm shaving some if the coating off so I was gonna try something new and if I can get both from sns I may give it a try especially if I can find a coupon.

After nationals, I'll do some more testing with 125's and 147's.

LittleLebowski
08-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Needs some pictures...

Of the rounds? I doubt that my groups will be worthy of pictures :D

Sal Picante
08-05-2016, 01:28 PM
Of the rounds? I doubt that my groups will be worthy of pictures :D

Hell, I'll take girl pics ... If there are loaded round there!

JCS
08-20-2016, 04:44 PM
Work up to 3.5gr: super soft. Easy shooting. No smoke.

So I loaded up some test rounds of 3.3,3.4,3.5 grns Hp-38 and 147 grn bayous. All of them functioned in my gun and cycled correctly. Unsure of what to use. I did notice some sparks coming from the end of the barrel and an odd smell after shooting them that I didn't have using fmj. I'm not sure if it's powder or the smell of the coated bullets.

Trooper224
08-20-2016, 06:29 PM
So I loaded up some test rounds of 3.3,3.4,3.5 grns Hp-38 and 147 grn bayous. All of them functioned in my gun and cycled correctly. Unsure of what to use. I did notice some sparks coming from the end of the barrel and an odd smell after shooting them that I didn't have using fmj. I'm not sure if it's powder or the smell of the coated bullets.

It's the polymer coating.

Luke
08-20-2016, 07:34 PM
125gr bluebullets.355 with 3.55gr (10 throw average) of titegroup loaded to 1.100 made 128PF 10 shot avg.

125gr bluebullet .355 with 3.8gr (10 throw average) of titegroup loaded to 1.100 made 132PF 10 shot avg.

Just in case somebody is looking for loads.

FPS
08-21-2016, 02:07 AM
I loaded 200rds of 45 Colt tonight with Missouri coated 250gr bullets over 5.6gr of Titegroup. Through a Ruger New Vaquero, the more smoke the better :cool:

Trooper224
08-21-2016, 04:07 AM
Yesterday I tried a couple of new handloads for the .357 Magnum, using a coated 158 grain LSWC from Bayou. One load with 8.0 grains of Power Pistol, the other with 8.2 grains of BE-86, Both had muzzle velocities just north or south of 1100 fps. Both loads featured exceptional accuracy and no leading or polymer residue. I was suitably impressed with both.

JCS
08-21-2016, 07:30 AM
I'm just using mine for plinking at this point. The only matches I go to are outlaw and there is no pf so I'll probably settle at 3.4 grns & 147 coated bullets and see how those shoot.

Can someone tell me if this round tumbled http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160821/cd4a0fe496f1a908378c3f355bac82e8.jpg

This is only at 5 yards. I can't imagine it did. It looks like the paper tore down and not like something went through it. I had quite a few of those on a different load yesterday.

CCT125US
08-21-2016, 07:57 AM
I'm just using mine for plinking at this point. The only matches I go to are outlaw and there is no pf so I'll probably settle at 3.4 grns & 147 coated bullets and see how those shoot.

Can someone tell me if this round tumbled http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160821/cd4a0fe496f1a908378c3f355bac82e8.jpg

This is only at 5 yards. I can't imagine it did. It looks like the paper tore down and not like something went through it. I had quite a few of those on a different load yesterday.

Appears to be torn paper. Get a fresh backer and make sure that the target is on contact with it. Spray adhesive or liberal use of Staples or thumb tacks. Testing loads at 75-100 yds will tell you for certain if they are tumbling.

FPS
08-21-2016, 02:48 PM
I would also say that is torn paper as you can see the bullet hole is round and not keyhole shaped. I have seen my targets do that too and as mentioned, if your cardboard backing is not solid, or when your paper is not tight against the backer, it can look like that.

Trooper224
08-21-2016, 02:50 PM
Like FPS said, just torn paper. Nothing to worry about.

rojocorsa
08-22-2016, 12:40 AM
Kinda on topic:

Im getting ready to order 9 and 45 coated lead boolits. Is there any reason why my Hornady manual does not list W231 under the load for the 147gr RN? Right now I have a 4lb jug of 231 that I bought for both 9 and 45.

Should I just get some cheaper 115gr projectiles (for which I did see W231 data for) and carry on? This is going to be used to practice more than anything.

olstyn
08-22-2016, 01:16 AM
Appears to be torn paper.

I would also say that is torn paper as you can see the bullet hole is round and not keyhole shaped.

Like FPS said, just torn paper. Nothing to worry about.

I concur. There's a clear, circular grease/burn ring around the hole. Looks good, but as CCT125US said, to be truly sure, you'll need to shoot them at a bit longer range, as tumbling may not be evident at 5 yards. I'm not sure 75-100 yards is necessary, or even relevant, but I'd do it at the max range you intend to shoot the loads in question.

olstyn
08-22-2016, 01:24 AM
Is there any reason why my Hornady manual does not list W231 under the load for the 147gr RN?

I can't truly speak to why the Hornady manual doesn't have a given load, but I'm guessing that they feel it's potentially problematic or undesirable for some reason. Some combinations of fast powders and heavy bullets can result in pressure spikes, so it may pay to be careful. Hodgdonreloading.com doesn't list any 147 grain loads for 231/HP-38 either. That said, there are people using that combo out there:

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/113540-9mm-with-win-231-loads/

JCS
08-22-2016, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the reassurance. My 25 yard targets look fine. I had never seen that before so it worried me a little.

JCS
08-22-2016, 05:32 AM
125gr bluebullets.355 with 3.55gr (10 throw average) of titegroup loaded to 1.100 made 128PF 10 shot avg.

125gr bluebullet .355 with 3.8gr (10 throw average) of titegroup loaded to 1.100 made 132PF 10 shot avg.

Just in case somebody is looking for loads.

Any smoke?

Luke
08-22-2016, 06:06 AM
Any smoke?

Very little. So little that I had to go back and look at some match video to see if it was.

BN
08-22-2016, 08:21 AM
Is there any reason why my Hornady manual does not list W231 under the load for the 147gr RN? Right now I have a 4lb jug of 231 that I bought for both 9 and 45.

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=9%20mm&Weight=147&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

This shows that Winchester shows loads for W231 with lead and fmj 147's. You won't find much published data for coated bullets from established sources because coated bullets are so new. Usually start with lead data and adjust as needed.

JCS
08-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Very little. So little that I had to go back and look at some match video to see if it was.

Good to know. I just picked up two more pounds of TG so I'm hoping to try it with coated.

martin_j001
08-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Good to know. I just picked up two more pounds of TG so I'm hoping to try it with coated.

I've not had any noticeable problems using 125gr Blue Bullets and 3.8gr Titegroup either. Just ordered some 147's to try next.

dsa
08-23-2016, 08:06 AM
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2670460203/double-alpha-mr-bulletfeeder-dillon-powder-funnel

I thought I would share this here. If you are using Dillon reloading equipment and load coated bullets replacing the Dillon powder funnel die with this one will help eliminate shaving of the coating during the seating of the bullet. It is similar to the Lyman "M" die and creates more of a pocket for the bullet to sit in. The bullet sits upright and doesn't tip over.

Sal Picante
08-23-2016, 09:43 AM
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2670460203/double-alpha-mr-bulletfeeder-dillon-powder-funnel

I thought I would share this here. If you are using Dillon reloading equipment and load coated bullets replacing the Dillon powder funnel die with this one will help eliminate shaving of the coating during the seating of the bullet. It is similar to the Lyman "M" die and creates more of a pocket for the bullet to sit in. The bullet sits upright and doesn't tip over.

The DAA powder funnel from the bullet feeder is similar - bullets don't topple or shave.

dsa
08-23-2016, 04:59 PM
These are the same powder funnel, just sold individually.

Trooper224
08-23-2016, 05:16 PM

I've found no problems with Titegroup and coated bullets. It's one of my main powders for 9mm and it works well with the coated bullets.

rojocorsa
08-24-2016, 12:24 PM

So I am patiently awaiting for my first bullets to arrive.

Are you saying it's not at all possible to load with the gear I have from Dillon?

Talionis
08-24-2016, 12:33 PM

Are you saying it's not at all possible to load with the gear I have from Dillon?

It's perfectly possible to load coated bullets with a stock Dillon. I have loaded many thousands of coated bullets in 9mm and .45 of various weights and profiles on my XL650 with all Dillon dies. It may take a bit more care in seating the bullets but it is definitely doable without shaving using a full Dillon setup.

Like many things in shooting, and life in general, the upgraded powder funnel die is not needed, but is a definite improvement.

Sal Picante
08-24-2016, 02:37 PM

Don't worry bout it dude - it helps more if you're rolling automated.

You're going to be fine, man. Really. You know you can hit me up if needed.

Luke
08-24-2016, 02:51 PM
I use the factory Dillon powder funnel and I open up the case mouth such a small amount that you almost cannot tell the difference between a fired case and a flared case, zero issues with shaving lead or coating. You basically just can't run the press with the bullet sideways. Don't over think it :)

rojocorsa
08-24-2016, 08:16 PM
Don't worry bout it dude - it helps more if you're rolling automated.

You're going to be fine, man. Really. You know you can hit me up if needed.

Ti ringrazio!

LittleLebowski
08-27-2016, 09:15 AM
You basically just can't run the press with the bullet sideways. Don't over think it :)

I see that my reputation precedes me :D

rojocorsa
08-29-2016, 08:37 PM
I loaded some ammo previous Thurs evening and fired it on Saturday evening. My shit didn't blow up nor were my barrels dirty or fouled with lead.

Accuracy wise, I think everything came out OK. TBH, I wasn't on top of my shooting game since I was a) distracted by the fact that I was shooting my first reloads ever, b) was kind of rusty since I hadn't been to the range in about a month. I got some nice groups when I hit my stride before the shooting fatigue set in.

So far so good. Loading 9mm ammo on a Dillon 550B is a little easier than I expected. It's also kind of fun.

I did a small write up about it, mostly to solidify concepts in my own mind. Nothing new under the sun. I've only begun to do what many have been doing for generations and thousands of rounds.

http://rojocorsa.tumblr.com/post/149589997494/this-is-the-data-i-used-for-my-current-9mm

rsa-otc
09-02-2016, 07:30 AM
Anyone who has read my posts knows I'm a fan of coated bullets. Here recently I have been having issues with leading with both my 9mm and 40 loads, something that doesn't even come into play in my 45 and 38spl reloads. I've tried extra flair on the case mouth to prevent shaving the coating off, minimal to no crimp and changing powders and still no joy. Then my daughter bought a Beretta 92FS to train with and her gun shows leading as well.

On a whim I mic’ed the SNS bullets and both the 9mm and 40 bullets are coming in at .001 smaller than advertised. The 9mm comes in at .355 instead of .356 and the .40 at .400 instead of .401. I thought it might be my micrometer but when I mic a Berry’s plated it comes in the right size. Has anyone else noticed this issue before I go back to SNS. BTW I just Mic’ed a Bayou Bullets .40 and have the same problem so this is not just a SNS issue. As you may have recalled last year I was having issues with leading in my .40 S&W reloads using Bayou Bullets as well.

For what it’s worth I have reloaded hard lead cast bullets for 30 years and never had this leading issue and only recently (last 2 years) has it cropped up.

LittleLebowski
09-02-2016, 07:39 AM
I've got some SNS still (shot a lot yesterday, comparing them to Leatherheads, going w/ Leatherheads), I'll check them when I get home.

rsa-otc
09-02-2016, 09:34 AM
Super Thanks

Sal Picante
09-02-2016, 04:39 PM
Anyone who has read my posts knows I'm a fan of coated bullets. Here recently I have been having issues with leading with both my 9mm and 40 loads, something that doesn't even come into play in my 45 and 38spl reloads. I've tried extra flair on the case mouth to prevent shaving the coating off, minimal to no crimp and changing powders and still no joy. Then my daughter bought a Beretta 92FS to train with and her gun shows leading as well.

On a whim I mic’ed the SNS bullets and both the 9mm and 40 bullets are coming in at .001 smaller than advertised. The 9mm comes in at .355 instead of .356 and the .40 at .400 instead of .401. I thought it might be my micrometer but when I mic a Berry’s plated it comes in the right size. Has anyone else noticed this issue before I go back to SNS. BTW I just Mic’ed a Bayou Bullets .40 and have the same problem so this is not just a SNS issue. As you may have recalled last year I was having issues with leading in my .40 S&W reloads using Bayou Bullets as well.

For what it’s worth I have reloaded hard lead cast bullets for 30 years and never had this leading issue and only recently (last 2 years) has it cropped up.

My SNS .357" are coming out to .357" on the dot. My .356" sized SNS are coming to .356" on the dot.
I like the larger diameter pills - had tumbling issues with the .356" ones in my Berettas and it has gone away with the .357".

It would help a bit to know your load? I have little faith in any coated bullet and Titegroup powder... (Have had leading issues - look back through this thread.)

Full disclosure: I am a SNS "shill" ;)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/731798/PF/Photo%20Sep%2002%2C%204%2038%2033%20PM.jpg

Trooper224
09-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Full disclosure: I am a SNS "shill" ;)

I used to be too, until I had one too many orders show up where the lube had fallen out of the bullets in transit. For plain Cast bullets I find Dardas to be far superior to SNS and Bayou to be superior overall for most applications.

rsa-otc
09-02-2016, 09:26 PM
I've used, Titegroup, bullseye and now Clays. All have leaded up my M&P stock 40 barrel, my storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel and now my daughter's Beretta 92 barrel. I have just gotten in HP38 to try next.

I have loaded 15000 38spl SNS coated bullets over the last year and none of our revolvers show any signs of leading. Same goes for for the several thousand SNS 45acp. Usually I am a total SNS fan. But the 9 & 40 are currently driving me crazy. I have totally removed my taper crimp die from the press and use only enough of the seating die to remove most of the bell in the case mouth.

My next order I am thinking of ordering .357 but on the website I only see an option of .355.

Any help would be be appreciated I am getting tired of scrubbing the lead out of the barrels.

Sal Picante
09-02-2016, 11:27 PM
I've used, Titegroup, bullseye and now Clays. All have leaded up my M&P stock 40 barrel, my storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel and now my daughter's Beretta 92 barrel. I have just gotten in HP38 to try next.

I have loaded 15000 38spl SNS coated bullets over the last year and none of our revolvers show any signs of leading. Same goes for for the several thousand SNS 45acp. Usually I am a total SNS fan. But the 9 & 40 are currently driving me crazy. I have totally removed my taper crimp die from the press and use only enough of the seating die to remove most of the bell in the case mouth.

My next order I am thinking of ordering .357 but on the website I only see an option of .355.

Any help would be be appreciated I am getting tired of scrubbing the lead out of the barrels.

My experience has been with 124gr and 147gr 9's.

Titegroup and BE are both fairly hot powders. Clays in 124's can work "OK", but is erratic. (Totally a no-go for 147s...)
I'm going to stay the hell away from coated and titegroup - i don't give a shit if it is Bayou, Blue Bullets, SNS, etc... TG is just too hot and I hate cleaning things...

I've had good luck with HP-38 (aka Win231) and 147's. Soft, accurate, non-temp sensitive, meters god enough for USPSA/IPSC shooting. I'm liking my loading of 3.5gr and loaded to 1.125"

The 147 sized at .357" are here, under the 38/.357 bullets: http://www.snscasting.com/new-38-357-147-grain-flat-point-coated-1000ct/
(it is the same 147 FP as for the 9's, just sized to .357")

My loading process:
I have enough bell to keep things from shaving.
I crimp to .375"-ish ... No issues with flaking/etc... (Lee Factory Crimp and "size" die - I love this thing)

Seems ok... There's a bit of smoke, but I can live with it. You'll see a little bit of leading at the crown, but not much.

It is fine to shoot .357" through a glock, mp, etc...

Good luck, man. Lemme know how it goes - I'll be checking back here.

rsa-otc
09-03-2016, 12:45 AM
Thanks Les

I'll give the .357s a try on my next order. Alas; I have to work my way through the remainder of my last order which means more time with a bore brush, sigh...

dbateman
09-03-2016, 07:39 AM
Are you loading for a factory barreled Glock ?

martin_j001
09-05-2016, 07:57 AM
Put about 500 rounds through this S3F barrel in the last two days at a Sage Dynamics class using my reloads--125gr Blue Bullets with 3.8gr Titegroup. Since I'm newer to reloading coated bullets and not super sure what I'm looking for in being concerned about this load, what do y'all think? See anything problematic? Definitely get a little smoke at times, but going to snag that powder funnel posted earlier for sure. Not sure if I should switch powders just to be safe or what...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160905/717c871624f69efdfd3f011e1f2e0693.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160905/ba8968883b2cced64fd41734653157e3.jpg

BN
09-05-2016, 08:09 AM
( (Lee Factory Crimp and "size" die - I love this thing)

Doesn't the Lee Factory Crimp die resize the case while crimping or something? Actually also resizes the bullet? I used to use the Lee, but went back to the Dillon taper crimp die. I forget exactly why, but I decided at the time that the Lee die was causing a problem. Why not try a few rounds with a regular taper crimp die instead of the Lee die and see what happens.

Sal Picante
09-06-2016, 08:59 AM
Doesn't the Lee Factory Crimp die resize the case while crimping or something? Actually also resizes the bullet? I used to use the Lee, but went back to the Dillon taper crimp die. I forget exactly why, but I decided at the time that the Lee die was causing a problem. Why not try a few rounds with a regular taper crimp die instead of the Lee die and see what happens.

Basically squeezes everything to a maximum diameter like .379" - this helped reduce my case gauge failure rate when loading for the CZ (from 5% to ~1/2%.)

Some say it squeezes lead or moly bullets too much. I don't see that happening much. I do see odd, non-concentric rounds get "realigned" enough to make 'em shootable.

If I was loading for bullseye competition, I might change the loading process a bit, but for high-volume USPSA, eh, "good enough."

Sal Picante
09-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Put about 500 rounds through this S3F barrel in the last two days at a Sage Dynamics class using my reloads--125gr Blue Bullets with 3.8gr Titegroup. Since I'm newer to reloading coated bullets and not super sure what I'm looking for in being concerned about this load, what do y'all think? See anything problematic? Definitely get a little smoke at times, but going to snag that powder funnel posted earlier for sure. Not sure if I should switch powders just to be safe or what...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160905/717c871624f69efdfd3f011e1f2e0693.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160905/ba8968883b2cced64fd41734653157e3.jpg

Hard to tell...

If you can scratch a substantial amount of lead using a pin, it is leaded:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/731798/PF/Leaded/Photo%20Jul%2022%2C%201%2044%2017%20AM.jpg

That was a clean barrel after 400 rounds of 3.8TG and 124 SNS moly (Glock 34).

Just saying it again: I don't like Titegroup and Moly, YMMV, and that may work for you.

rojocorsa
09-16-2016, 02:25 AM
Quick question:

Because of my new-found confidence in cranking out 9mm rounds on my Dillon, this evening I went ahead and set up my .45 ACP stuff and cranked out a few of these.

Now, I noticed that during the first 100 rnd or so, I ended up belling the case mouth just a tad over what should have been good. Moreover, my crimp die did not end up squeezing everything all back. As a result, I got some cartridges with a tad of flare at the case mouth.

WILL THIS BE A PROBLEM?

It seems mostly cosmetic as there appears to be enough case tension to hold the projectile in place.

Thank you. I'm mostly likely worrying too much about it.

I'm loading 230 LRN blue bullets over 5.4 grs of W231. COAL is 1.245-1.257 (just a bit of variance).

Other than this, everything seems to be well. I think what happened was that when I cranked down the lock rings to tighten the dies, the motion also moved the die a hair forward (and down into the press), hence my issue.

Talionis
09-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Personally, I'd either pull those bullets or run them through the crimp die once you've got it readjusted. I would expect some feeding issues with the ammo as you describe it.

Luke
09-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Hello world.

Just wanted to update my current load.

135gr bayou Bullets over 3.7gr ETR-7 at 1.105. So soft. So clean. Never again bluebullets, you too titegroup.

rojocorsa
09-16-2016, 03:01 PM
Personally, I'd either pull those bullets or run them through the crimp die once you've got it readjusted. I would expect some feeding issues with the ammo as you describe it.

They feed and chamber.

Now, I ask the following out of ignorance:

While I understand that the bullet is held in place with the tension from the cartridge casing, what is the big concern with crimp. You mentioned feeding. Is that it, or are there other things that relate to the crimp?

Conversely, what happens when casing is over-crimped?

Thanks again.

This reloading stuff is growing on me, ultimately.

Mirolynmonbro
09-16-2016, 03:43 PM
Hello world.

135gr bayou Bullets over 3.7gr ETR-7 at 1.105. So soft. So clean. Never again bluebullets, you too titegroup.

Why'd you change from blue bullets ?

mmc45414
09-16-2016, 03:49 PM
They feed and chamber.

While I understand that the bullet is held in place with the tension from the cartridge casing, what is the big concern with crimp. You mentioned feeding. Is that it, or are there other things that relate to the crimp?

Thanks again.

You want to avoid bullet setback. It would probably be ok, but simple to just pull a button and place the loaded rounds in under the seating die. It will double check the seating depth and redo the crimp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Sal Picante
09-16-2016, 05:59 PM
They feed and chamber.

Thanks again.

A lot of bullseye guys don't crimp - they bell just enough to - hurr - load a jacketed HAP into the casing. LOL

For most sloppier work, with mixed brass, the belling is keep to getting the bullet to stay put until it gets seated to a proper depth. If there is too much belling, feeding reliability is affected.

Over crimping can lead to chambering issues, poor accuracy, goofy pressure curves, etc. Remember most semi-autos headspace on the case mouth, not the rim.

The advice to just pull one tab and recrimp those rounds with a little bit more is pretty good - I've had to do that in the past...

rojocorsa
09-17-2016, 03:35 AM
I went back and re-crimped. Most if not all, in addition to rounds I loaded in today's session are all .471" give or take.

martin_j001
09-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Have definitely noticed my Titegroup + Blue Bullets (125gr) load being smoky lately. Shot about 200 rounds in a match on Sunday and didn't see anything odd in the barrel of my P320. Got some HP38 to try out though, plus the powder dropper/belling die recommended earlier, so going to go back and set things up again. Anyone have a suggestion for a load with 125gr or 127gr coated bullets and HP38?

MGW
09-28-2016, 03:26 PM

Titegroup and BE are both fairly hot powders. Clays in 124's can work "OK", but is erratic. (Totally a no-go for 147s...)
I'm going to stay the hell away from coated and titegroup - i don't give a shit if it is Bayou, Blue Bullets, SNS, etc... TG is just too hot and I hate cleaning things...

I've had good luck with HP-38 (aka Win231) and 147's. Soft, accurate, non-temp sensitive, meters god enough for USPSA/IPSC shooting. I'm liking my loading of 3.5gr and loaded to 1.125"

The 147 sized at .357" are here, under the 38/.357 bullets: http://www.snscasting.com/new-38-357-147-grain-flat-point-coated-1000ct/

My loading process:
I crimp to .375"-ish ... No issues with flaking/etc... (Lee Factory Crimp and "size" die - I love this thing)

Seems ok... There's a bit of smoke, but I can live with it. You'll see a little bit of leading at the crown, but not much.

I'm late to this thread but I don't think this has been asked.

What was your 9mm load with Titegroup? I just picked up a couple pounds to try instead of 231. We are loading 4.0 of 231 with 124 grain Bayou and getting a lot of smoke. Seems to be more smokey than your experience?

Also, are you easily making power factor with 3.5 of HP38 and 147s? Have you loaded any 124s? I don't have access to a chrono so I'm wondering if we are loading to hot with W231? Recoil is very light.

MGW
09-28-2016, 03:28 PM
Hello world.

Damn. Did I just screw up buying TG? The burn rate and pressure data on it makes it look just like Bullseye.

Luke
09-28-2016, 03:42 PM
You'll be fine man. It's all mental for me. I'm ok with switching for perceived benifits because my brain is dumb enough that it ends up making a difference. If I would have never shot these loads I'd still the a titegroup fan girl.

LittleLebowski
09-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Leatherhead's 125grs (http://leatherheadbullets.com/9-mm-125-grn-rn-500-ct/) shoot POI/POA and don't lead up my Glocks. Ordering more soon. I had a bad experience with a coated cast lead bullet manufacturer, I'll stick with the one that communicates and ships lightning fast.

Leathered 125grRN bullet, mixed brass, 1.125 OAL, CCI primers, and 4.0gr of Titegroup. This will be my go to load for next USPSA season.

Luke
09-30-2016, 02:16 PM
Why 4 grains? Seems a little hot

LittleLebowski
09-30-2016, 05:47 PM
Why 4 grains? Seems a little hot

Shoots well, I've got some 115gr loads at 4.3, I don't think that 4.0 behind a 125 is hot.

Kyle Reese
09-30-2016, 06:25 PM
Leatherhead's 125grs (http://leatherheadbullets.com/9-mm-125-grn-rn-500-ct/) shoot POI/POA and don't lead up my Glocks. Ordering more soon. I had a bad experience with a coated cast lead bullet manufacturer, I'll stick with the one that communicates and ships lightning fast.

Leathered 125grRN bullet, mixed brass, 1.125 OAL, CCI primers, and 4.0gr of Titegroup. This will be my go to load for next USPSA season.

I'll be joining you next USPSA season. :cool:

camsdaddy
09-30-2016, 07:02 PM
I shoot 124 plated over 4.0 TG.

LittleLebowski
10-02-2016, 12:30 PM
I'll be joining you next USPSA season. :cool:

I know a guy in our neighborhood with a 10-fitty we can use :cool:

JAD
10-02-2016, 01:07 PM
I shoot 125 LSWC over 4.0 tg. 1146 average out of a 4,5" barrel.

martin_j001
10-19-2016, 06:31 AM
Ok all, trying to figure some things out here regarding whether or not I'm seeing leading or something else. Here's a few pics and some details. I have no prior experience with leading, so I'm not sure what to be looking for, etc, so I'm asking for help/guidance.

Shot a low light class using my reloads (125 gr Blue Bullet over 3.8gr Titegroup at OAL of 1.135). Shot about 300 rounds, maybe a little more. Definitely noticed the smoke in this class.
End of my Surefire X300U
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161019/3edb9b70bd0e8e3134bd8c995dd7096a.jpg
End of my White Sound Defense guide rod (sticks out about 1/4")
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161019/874c9349b255bd1a7c548a85f558f793.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161019/49d41d46ea30f47815ed145a2cab79e5.jpg

I have since used electrical tape over the end of the light and notice a similar buildup/discoloration on the tape. When I remove the tape it is somewhat hardened--but I can't tell if it's metal buildup or if it's just powder buildup.

On a later date, I shot some more of the same load setup, as well as some of a new load (125gr bullet over HP-38, as well as some 147gr bullets over HP-38), some made with the new powder funnel (Mr. Bullet--I agree, it bells the case much better for these bullets to stand up on their own).

Here are some more pics...

G43 and P320 barrels, before cleaning, about 30 rounds total maybe
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161019/cd02f87a0ac36fd7c408c811d1638517.jpg

S3F Glock barrels, post cleaning with Hoppe's wet patch followed by bore brush followed by 2-3 dry patches until they come out clean.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161019/da3cab653cfcdfbe52b55e932cd79d4d.jpg

OEM Glock barrel, not cleaned, unsure how many rounds (all 125gr w/Titegroup)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161019/8c614517ead14129d2a3d6d9dd568bb3.jpg

I pulled several of the old batch (125 gr with Titegroup, Oem Dillon powder funnel) and see this...so obviously this could be part of my issue.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161019/3b5959674ad6cb6223f9bd0fda311aea.jpg

Going to load up some more of the 147's over HP-38 (3.3gr @1.125 OAL, IIRC) for a match this coming weekend (should be about 300 rounds) and see what I get.

I'd appreciate any and all advice or thoughts based on the pics above. Im not yet convinced I should write off coated bullets, as even if I am seeing some leading in the past, some of that is my fault as the bullet coating is indeed getting damaged. I hope to have that issue addressed now though.

Sal Picante
10-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Ok all, trying to figure some things out here regarding whether or not I'm seeing leading or something else. Here's a few pics and some details. I have no prior experience with leading, so I'm not sure what to be looking for, etc, so I'm asking for help/guidance.

That doesn't look bad... Becareful with the belling/crimp, bro...

HP-38 can give a bit of residue.

It if wipes off, it is reside, if you need to rub a lot/it flakes off, it is lead.

LittleLebowski
10-19-2016, 01:59 PM

I'd appreciate any and all advice or thoughts based on the pics above. Im not yet convinced I should write off coated bullets, as even if I am seeing some leading in the past, some of that is my fault as the bullet coating is indeed getting damaged. I hope to have that issue addressed now though.

You might be crimping too hard hence the exposed lead. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about the buildup on your guns/lights.

Luke
10-19-2016, 03:20 PM
Doesn't look like your over crimping to me, looks like your running the shell plate into the tool head with a bullet about to fall off/sideways. Straighten them suckers up.

martin_j001
10-19-2016, 03:45 PM
Appreciate the responses all...

That doesn't look bad... Becareful with the belling/crimp, bro...

HP-38 can give a bit of residue.

It if wipes off, it is reside, if you need to rub a lot/it flakes off, it is lead.

Yeah, hopefully the new powder funnel sets me up with a better bell and helps to prevent the bullet damage. I've yet to have to scrape anything out of the barrels, but definitely have off the guide rod and light.

You might be crimping too hard hence the exposed lead. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about the buildup on your guns/lights.

I like this answer, but if it really is lead buildup I just don't want it to cause me any problems.

Doesn't look like your over crimping to me, looks like your running the shell plate into the tool head with a bullet about to fall off/sideways. Straighten them suckers up.

Agreed, I think that happened with some for sure. The new powder funnel definitely makes that less likely to occur.

Sal Picante
10-20-2016, 11:24 AM
It isn't uncommon to have just a bit of frosting at the muzzle end ... From the pictures, I'm not too concerned, but I'd keep an eye on it.

LittleLebowski
11-15-2016, 10:32 PM
Tonight, I shot my first USPSA match using my Leatherhead 125s (http://leatherheadbullets.com/9-mm-125-grn-rn-500-ct/) over 3.8gr TiteGroup reloads. Outstanding, no issues, excellent accuracy. I'm going to load up a bunch once I get some more brass.

Mitch
11-15-2016, 10:41 PM
Tonight, I shot my first USPSA match using my Leatherhead 125s (http://leatherheadbullets.com/9-mm-125-grn-rn-500-ct/) over 3.8gr TiteGroup reloads. Outstanding, no issues, excellent accuracy. I'm going to load up a bunch once I get some more brass.

Was that out of a stock Glock barrel?

Sal Picante
11-15-2016, 11:13 PM

...and... How was the match? Got any pictures? Vids?

Talionis
11-15-2016, 11:46 PM

Excellent! Very close to my own load these days. Hope you enjoyed the match.

LittleLebowski
11-15-2016, 11:48 PM
Was that out of a stock Glock barrel?

Yup, no issues w/ leading.

LittleLebowski
11-15-2016, 11:50 PM

It was great except for an FTE because I missed the "shoot these targets here" part of the brief. Otherwise, I don't feel like I won it but upper third I would bet but regardless of the score, I quite enjoyed my first USPSA match in about a year or more. Someone else posted a video on FB, I don't do those, myself.

LittleLebowski
11-16-2016, 09:06 AM

Found this public video from the match, I know the guy. He shot better than I, of course :D

https://www.facebook.com/rob.cook.940098/videos/10154567599416285

Sal Picante
11-16-2016, 11:20 AM
Found this public video from the match, I know the guy. He shot better than I, of course :D

https://www.facebook.com/rob.cook.940098/videos/10154567599416285

Nice stages!

LittleLebowski
11-16-2016, 11:26 AM
Nice stages!

Those are thanks to JoshS, former PF staff member and an outstanding shooter with about anything.

JAD
11-16-2016, 12:09 PM
From personal experience, Josh runs a damn good match.

JCS
11-16-2016, 12:47 PM

What oal did you use and what was the pf out of curiosity?

Thanks!

LittleLebowski
11-16-2016, 12:54 PM
What oal did you use and what was the pf out of curiosity?

Thanks!

1.125 and need to chrono it but I'm confident (based upon other's data) that it will make Minor PF. Not bunny fart loads.

rsa-otc
12-19-2016, 09:10 AM

My loading process:

Les;

Thanks for the info above. Got my first 147 grain 9mm sized at .357 in and loaded up 100 of them. The only change is that I used the book stated 1.135 OAL. Shot them yesterday. When I did my part they fell into a fist sized group at 25 yards (unfortuantlly since my hospital visit 2 years ago my consistancy at distance sucks). Best thing about it was when I got home and ran a couple of patches through the barrel it was sqeeky clean, NO LEAD YA!

rojocorsa
12-22-2016, 03:45 PM
I've been shooting basically nothing but coated bullets since late August at this point. No issues to complain about.

rojocorsa
02-08-2017, 12:15 AM
Just a quick question: I've now been shooting these blue bullets coated pills from most of my "working" guns for nearly 6 months now. I noticed that there's a bit of frosting in the bore of my G.19, but only in streaks. Nothing is caked or or built up.

Anything to worry about? I'm not really seeing any blue shit on the bore at all, FWIW.

P.S. I love coated bullets and they afford cheaper practice costs. Probably gonna order 10K when I can afford them.

Sal Picante
02-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Just a quick question: I've now been shooting these blue bullets coated pills from most of my "working" guns for nearly 6 months now. I noticed that there's a bit of frosting in the bore of my G.19, but only in streaks. Nothing is caked or or built up.

Anything to worry about? I'm not really seeing any blue shit on the bore at all, FWIW.

P.S. I love coated bullets and they afford cheaper practice costs. Probably gonna order 10K when I can afford them.

Might want to run a patch through there once in a while ... Nothing wrong with patching the barrel once a week/month...

theblacknight
03-02-2017, 04:46 PM

I've been shooting at least 10K a year of Blue Bullets the last 4 years. I'm shooting 15k this year. I've never touched the bore or crown area.

LittleLebowski
03-03-2017, 05:16 PM
I've been shooting at least 10K a year of Blue Bullets the last 4 years. I'm shooting 15k this year. I've never touched the bore or crown area.

I'm going to try those next.

Luke
03-03-2017, 05:29 PM
http://hsbullets.com

Awesome prices, fast shipping, very consistent. I've shot about 2k of these through my open gun with no smoke or leading lol.

Story I heard: he is a single dad with a special needs son, between that and his prices/craftsmanship, I am a fan.

JCS
03-03-2017, 06:05 PM
http://hsbullets.com

Awesome prices, fast shipping, very consistent. I've shot about 2k of these through my open gun with no smoke or leading lol.

Story I heard: he is a single dad with a special needs son, between that and his prices/craftsmanship, I am a fan.

Ditto. I'm through about 1500 or so. They usually ship out the same day as you order. All bullets have free shipping and he also gives 5% off for le/mil/first responders.

theblacknight
03-11-2017, 09:54 AM
With all these great coating companies out there, the differences are really down to:

Sizing for your barrel. .35X vs .35X for proper $obturation$
HITek coating or other, if not,why?
Shipping deals this week?
Consistancy of product?
Ready to ship or naw?

I know dudes who literally buy bullets based off who has the best deal when they are ready to buy. What a time to be alive.