PDA

View Full Version : Does one appendix holster work for all your carry needs?

GJM
07-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Tony Mayer at JM and I had this discussion earlier this week. While I have boxes and boxes of various holsters, initially I assumed one appendix holster for a particular gun was all I needed. I have come to realize, that just as I have different purpose OWB holsters, I have different appendix holsters for different purposes.

The conundrum is that optimal speed, concealment, muzzle orientation and retention likely do not ALL come in the same appendix holster. Take speed for example -- for me, best speed comes from a high ride, with the butt not so radically tucked. Concealment comes from a lower ride, that might whack my knuckles on the draw, with the butt wedged as tight as possible against me. Best retention is slower and may come from leather. A big pad that averts the muzzle as far from your body as possible, can make getting the butt harder, especially with a smaller pistol.

Lately, I have settled on a two holster strategy. A JM "George" for most of my needs, and a Universal with a clip for lower ride, better concealment, and easy on and off as I switch clothing or go to USPSA practice gear.

What are your strategies?

Kennydale
07-28-2016, 09:46 PM
Small Independent holster maker Matthew Turner (Appalachian Concealment) makes the Gladius for my G17 9479. He has been on Hiatus for about a year, but is ready to restart bending Kydex again for AIWB. (he also has a very particular view on the AIWB Holster). As soon as he contacts me I would like another one of his creations for my G19.

orionz06
07-28-2016, 11:02 PM
I just use one, does all I need. Sub second draw in normal clothes. New model works just as well. Second new model will be the same.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

JDM
07-28-2016, 11:11 PM
Have a picture of just the holster??

BCL
07-28-2016, 11:41 PM
I just use one right now. I'll have to take a closer look at the universal.

miller_man
07-29-2016, 05:22 AM
I have used a DF archangle for a long time, then in the last 6 months - got a CCC Gestalt and then a JM. I have been going back and forth a little with the last 2.

I couldn't agree more on speed vs concealment - I have given up on truely trying to tuck the grip all the way, I can't get a good, consistent and fast draw when the grip is tightly tucked into my stomach. I prefer to give up a little more concealment and dress around the gun more. I have never been able to work with the foam wedges.

I recently ditched the grip tucking plate with the gestalt and lowered the height - to the point my knuckles do scrape a tad, but it conceals really well that low. Thinking this will be my casual, tighter t-shirt holster and the JM will be my standard aiwb, at least for the rest of summer.

I use (and dig) the solid kydex loop though, on both holsters - don't have an easy on/off clip.

RoyGBiv
07-29-2016, 06:15 AM
2 for me. Mostly driven by clothing. More forgiving clothes = higher ride holster.

orionz06
07-29-2016, 06:43 AM
Have a picture of just the holster??

Sorta. You on IG?

JHC
07-29-2016, 07:01 AM
I go for deeper carry height and better concealment all the time when I go AIWB. My latest is the best yet. It's a slim profile straight drop clip from Dark Star. No wedges, no tucks (bleh!)

Carry height can be adjusted via 3 sets of holes to affix the Tyrannosaurus clip. I choose the top set for the deepest carry. Last weekend for the first time in a long time I carried a G17 in it virtually non-stop without resorting to Omar the tent maker shirts. In GA, mid - 90 degree temps.

I hardly use my VG2 anymore at all whereas it used to be my go to.

ubervic
07-29-2016, 07:15 AM
While I agree that having one AIWB holster that is perfect for all environments and all aspects of speed, concealment, muzzle orientation and retention may be akin to having a unicorn, I use only one holster. I have found that the degree of concealment, comfort, accessibility, retention and livability afforded by my current AIWB rig---JRC Custom Leather---works well enough overall that I simply don't have enough need (at this time) to purchase and use another AIWB setup.

LittleLebowski
07-29-2016, 07:45 AM
Nope. All depends on the cut of the pants/jeans/shorts I'm wearing.

JAD
07-29-2016, 07:57 AM
Belt loops drive my choice most of the time. I find that holsters that have the loops over the slide conceal better and are more comfortable (since I have to run my belt tighter on winged holsters to keep them from tilting); however, some of the pants and shorts I wear have loops positioned such that my loops-on-slide holsters can't get in the right position. With 3:00 holsters it's a similar dynamic with opposite results -- with heavier guns I prefer a winged holster to fight tilt, and with lighter guns I prefer loops on top because they let me ride the holster at a true 3:00 rather than creeping around to 3:30 because the wing won't wrap around the point of my hip well enough.

breakingtime91
07-29-2016, 08:07 AM
I have two. Both are gm, one is his traditional aiwb with full shield and soft loops while the other is his universal for when I wear shorts or am just running out really quick and don't feel like wearing a belt. I have also grown an ass lately because of dead lifts and squats so my need fro a belt has become less and I just throw a spare mag in my back pocket.

Prdator
07-29-2016, 08:08 AM
No one holster works all the time.. This is why we offer three different ones. Depending on what I'm doing that day I might wear one or all three and different times. As of wile recovering from my knee replacement ive ran the Keeper Lite and a G19 in sweat pants... with a good draw cord it works like a champ.

Trajan
07-29-2016, 08:15 AM
Yes. Dark Star Gear clip holster.

Only time it doesn't work is if I'm wearing something without a belt and running/ being active. Then it's basically the same holster, but for a G43. No belt and not being very active, I can still use the G17 clip on with my 19L.

JDM
07-29-2016, 08:25 AM
Sorta. You on IG?

I am not.

Armiger
07-29-2016, 09:37 AM
I made a specific holster for a specific pair of jeans one time. I stopped wearing those jeans and made sure to never buy another pair with such a low rise.

voodoo_man
07-29-2016, 09:51 AM
lets see...

vangaurd2 for anytime I have to dress up and need to either wear a suit or something that's close to business/formal

JM aiwb with a wedge for daily

JM aiwb single loop rmr cut when I gata do rmr stuff

Mirolynmonbro
07-29-2016, 10:28 AM
I only use one so far that seems to work with everything.

It's a JMCK IWB with only one soft loop worn AIWB with a gel heel pad as a wedge. The ride height just happened to be perfect.

jwperry
07-29-2016, 12:00 PM
When I'm changing to a different holster due to concealment requirements, I'm generally changing guns too; going from a P226 to a P229.

So yes and no; I have 1 AIWB holster that I use for each gun, but I have different guns for different concealment requirements.

YVK
07-29-2016, 04:56 PM
for me, best speed comes from a high ride, with the butt not so radically tucked.

Would a high risk food court entry, or the Timmy Olympics be the preferred uses for such setups? I am just learning about this stuff, would like an advice.

All my appendix rigs are set for an unimpeded draw. My only exceptions for an on-body carry are really deep concealment setups such as Tom's clip rig for G43, or my Zach trigger guard holsters when the frame is barely over the belt line. I understand the premise of your post; question is whether burying the holster in aids concealment incrementally. To me, nope. Even if put in the slimmest option for anything fully sized (thank you again, btw), there is still some component of a colostomy effect and I still need to dress around. Hence, if real concealment is a must or I have to wow ladies in my slim fit clothing, I'd have to go with protected Mexican carry or extra slim gun.

Love the new signature, wonder what caliber you take your CZs in.

Tony Mayer
07-29-2016, 06:31 PM
I am a believer in multiple IWB holsters for the same gun for different applications. If a person did the same thing every day all the time surrounded by the same people in the same environment, then one holster may do the trick, but that's not reality. The change may be as simple as a different belt attachment to facilitate quick on/off because of work, or a thread on the belt attachment for all day wear or class. Or it may be a change from AIWB to strong side IWB because of physical constraints or sitting all day, whatever. Also, I hear talk about the dreaded box of holsters, but really how are you going to know if the holster you have is good, unless you have others to judge it against. Plus new ideas and designs are always coming. YMMV (I freely admit I am a capitalist and want to sell holsters, so I am biased)

StraitR
07-29-2016, 07:11 PM
First AIWB holster I ever bought, a G17 Keeper in 2012, worked great and I used it exclusively until recently picking up a Eidolon (also for a 17) to use with a 19 MOS. I've not used the Keeper since getting the Eidolon, so I guess I'm in the only use one camp. I have other AIWB holsters for other guns, but never considered buying multiple AIWB holsters for the same gun based on different occasions or clothing. If clothing or venue dictates (ie NPE's), I'm generally being forced to carry a different gun.

That said, I've had a Vanguard 2 in my cart at least a dozen times because I think would come in really handy on occasion.

GJM
07-29-2016, 08:16 PM
Would a high risk food court entry, or the Timmy Olympics be the preferred uses for such setups? I am just learning about this stuff, would like an advice.

All my appendix rigs are set for an unimpeded draw. My only exceptions for an on-body carry are really deep concealment setups such as Tom's clip rig for G43, or my Zach trigger guard holsters when the frame is barely over the belt line. I understand the premise of your post; question is whether burying the holster in aids concealment incrementally. To me, nope. Even if put in the slimmest option for anything fully sized (thank you again, btw), there is still some component of a colostomy effect and I still need to dress around. Hence, if real concealment is a must or I have to wow ladies in my slim fit clothing, I'd have to go with protected Mexican carry or extra slim gun.

Love the new signature, wonder what caliber you take your CZs in.

If you can't conceal a Boresight grip reduced 19 in your appendix holster without getting made in the grocery store, you might consider whether always optimizing for an "unimpeded draw" gives up something in concealibility.

voodoo_man
07-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Thought about this a bit and the only time I don't aiwb is when I am on duty or when running overt kit (pc helmet rifle)

J_B
07-29-2016, 09:49 PM
G43 in JMCK AIWB and G19 w/XC1 in JMCK AIWB. I don't feel the need to have any other AIWB holsters although I have a Veil Solutions Ghost and Raven VG2 kicking around in the holster box, I never use them.

IF I get a differant AIWB holster, I'll get another JMCK AIWB for the G19 but no XC1.....

breakingtime91
07-29-2016, 11:02 PM
So I somehow use a tucked (foam wedge) jm at medium ride height and still get good draw times.

JCS
07-30-2016, 07:52 AM
Jmck aiwb holster with the belt clip and a jmck aiwb claw with hard loops. I have a foam wedge to use for either if needed.

I am seeing a need for different holsters. I've really debated on a very minimalist rig for my g26.

Also in my convos with Tony it seems the George would be well suited for my body style.

I also have a ccc shaggy laying around that I don't use anymore. It's a g17 length and I used it for about a year until I got the jmck. Good holster just got replaced by the newer one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnionsAndDragons
07-31-2016, 10:17 PM
So I somehow use a tucked (foam wedge) jm at medium ride height and still get good draw times.

That's how my JM is set up, with soft loops, and I have a similar experience. It does bang up my knuckles if I run more than 20 draws or so within a short time.

The JRC leather CDA has really grown on me. I wear it more often than not these days, when the pant loops permit me to position it where I want. I get perfect placement abutting a loop on all my TAD pants, but other pantaloons are hit or miss. Utilikilt is GTG with it, though. :)

DEG
08-01-2016, 06:57 AM
...That said, I've had a Vanguard 2 in my cart at least a dozen times because I think would come in really handy on occasion.

The VG2 does come in handy, for me. I get better stability with it concealing the longer slide of the 17 vs the 19. The lowest ride height still allows good clearance.

If I have to go right to the belt line for deeper concealment, I've been using a Q-Series trigger guard holster. I don't have the link handy right now, but a review was featured on the Modern Service Weapons blog a while back.

CCT125US
08-01-2016, 07:04 AM
When I saw the thread title I thought, yes my JRC CDA II does fit my P30, .45C, P2000 and P2000SK. It really is either that or Smart Carry. And no those are not my carry rotation, I am firmly in the P2000 camp just to clarify.

SLG
10-29-2016, 09:33 AM
I wear one holster, all the time. It allows as fast a draw as I'm capable of, and conceals as well as possible. The whole point of a performance based practice is consistency and reality. A purpose built AIWB is what allows for that. I understand maybe needing different holsters for different missions, but if CCW is the role, then that is the one holster I will wear and train from. A "faster" holster that doesn't conceal, but makes me feel good on the range is just mental maturation, and will not help me in the food court. I manage this with a g17 everyday, and fairly well fitted polls. They show of the guns nicely, but not the gun. :-)

blues
10-29-2016, 10:09 AM
I could easily get by with either my JMCK "George" or AIWB from DSG but to be honest, I love 'em both and each has some individual qualities that makes me pleased that I own both.

My draw and re-holster with each is fluid and I can't perceive any meaningful difference in time to present on target. That said, while each hides my G26 and G19 very well, one may have a slight advantage over the other with certain clothing or under certain circumstances.

I will say that the DSG handled a mean spill, (like a head first slide into home), on a rough gravel road four weeks ago and neither the holster or firearm took damage. (I wish I could say the same for myself.) Maybe not quite battle tested but close enough to prove its worthiness to me.

Kyle Reese
10-29-2016, 10:17 AM
I wear one holster, all the time. It allows as fast a draw as I'm capable of, and conceals as well as possible. The whole point of a performance based practice is consistency and reality. A purpose built AIWB is what allows for that. I understand maybe needing different holsters for different missions, but if CCW is the role, then that is the one holster I will wear and train from. A "faster" holster that doesn't conceal, but makes me feel good on the range is just mental maturation, and will not help me in the food court. I manage this with a g17 everyday, and fairly well fitted polls. They show of the guns nicely, but not the gun. :-)

I thought that I was the only bloke carrying a full sized service pistol on and off duty. [emoji41]

(Joking)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SLG
10-29-2016, 11:06 AM
I could easily get by with either my JMCK "George" or AIWB from DSG but to be honest, I love 'em both and each has some individual qualities that makes me pleased that I own both.

My draw and re-holster with each is fluid and I can't perceive any meaningful difference in time to present on target. That said, while each hides my G26 and G19 very well, one may have a slight advantage over the other with certain clothing or under certain circumstances.

I will say that the DSG handled a mean spill, (like a head first slide into home), on a rough gravel road four weeks ago and neither the holster or firearm took damage. (I wish I could say the same for myself.) Maybe not quite battle tested but close enough to prove its worthiness to me.

Motorcycle? All ok?

blues
10-29-2016, 11:09 AM
Motorcycle? All ok?

I'm embarrassed to say sprinting after the dog. It's been very dry and the gravel road is a bit slippery as a result.

I had 16 stitches in the right and 5 or 6 in the left hand. Removed two weeks ago. Left hand is pretty good at the moment. Right hand is a work in progress. Hope to get back to some (light) weight training in the coming week. I've felt like a useless SOB for the last 4 weeks.

DocGKR
10-29-2016, 11:39 AM
I use one AIWB holster 90% of the time, as it works in all clothing from formal to casual; the only time I don't use it is when wearing pants without a belt (swim shorts, gym wear, climbing pants, etc...) and instead use a holster without a belt loop for those unique situations.

Clay1
10-29-2016, 02:05 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned a different holster for a weapon mounted light. I've used a VG2, but most of the time it's a thin kydex straight drop for one of the G19s. Just took delivery of an AIWB for the Surefire X300u. Since the holster is longer with the light, it's a little more challenging .

Casual Friday
10-29-2016, 04:02 PM
I only have 2 holsters for my P2000, one is an older JM Custom with all the extra built in tucking doodads and a split kydex 1.5" belt loop. The second holster is a Safariland Model 27 IWB holster that I bought for the short lived P30 experiment. I didn't like the j-hook clip so I modified it with a regular clip from a Galco Triton holster. I use this for a quick on/off option. I'm not supposed to bring guns into the building I work in, but YOLO, so I take it off when I get there and keep it in my locker during the day and slip it back into the front of my pants at the end of the day. I also use it for late night trips to the local stop-n-rob for ice cream and/or whiskey and other quick errands. For just being a run of the mill IWB holster, the Model 27 works reeeeally well AIWB, both in concealment and comfort. So much so that I'm beginning to throw around the idea of forking over the money for either a JRC AIWB or one of the models from Desbians.

Duces Tecum
10-29-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm embarrassed to say sprinting after the dog. I had 16 stitches in the right and 5 or 6 in the left hand. Removed two weeks ago. Left hand is pretty good at the moment. Right hand is a work in progress. Hope to get back to some (light) weight training in the coming week. I've felt like a useless SOB for the last 4 weeks.

Dog probably thought you were playing. He hears you returning from the emergency room and he's running to the door thinking, "Oh, that was cool, Daddy! Let's do it again!"

SLG
10-29-2016, 06:18 PM
I'm embarrassed to say sprinting after the dog. It's been very dry and the gravel road is a bit slippery as a result.

I had 16 stitches in the right and 5 or 6 in the left hand. Removed two weeks ago. Left hand is pretty good at the moment. Right hand is a work in progress. Hope to get back to some (light) weight training in the coming week. I've felt like a useless SOB for the last 4 weeks.

Sorry to hear that, hope you heal up quick. I was looking at a pretty amazing collection of Case knives yesterday. Hundreds of them from pretty much every decade. 50 or so Randall's as well.

MVS
10-29-2016, 06:27 PM
Yes, one appendix carry holster (per gun) works for all of my appendix carry needs. There are times I don't appendix carry but those times are rare and obviously require a different holster.

blues
10-29-2016, 06:31 PM
Dog probably thought you were playing. He hears you returning from the emergency room and he's running to the door thinking, "Oh, that was cool, Daddy! Let's do it again!"

Sorry to hear that, hope you heal up quick. I was looking at a pretty amazing collection of Case knives yesterday. Hundreds of them from pretty much every decade. 50 or so Randall's as well.

Thanks, guys. It's frustrating but it's coming along. Hopefully won't be too long before I can shoot again.

SLG, if I can ever help out with knives or contacts in that arena, shoot me a PM. Happy to help out if I can though I'm somewhat less active than I used to be as far as keeping up with some of the makers.

SLG
10-29-2016, 06:41 PM
Thanks, guys. It's frustrating but it's coming along. Hopefully won't be too long before I can shoot again.

SLG, if I can ever help out with knives or contacts in that arena, shoot me a PM. Happy to help out if I can though I'm somewhat less active than I used to be as far as keeping up with some of the makers.

I appreciate the offer. I'm not as active in that area as I used to be, but I have some ties to that industry. If something comes up though, I'll definitely reach out.

GJM
10-29-2016, 08:00 PM
I continue to find the combination of a traditional appendix holster like a JM George along with a clip holster like the JM Universal best meets my needs. I have the George set up with kydex split loops, optimized in height for my draw. My Universal is set-up lower, to optimize concealment at the cost of less knuckle clearance. The Universal is perfect for use, like tonight, where I went for a hike in Prana shorts that just have an integral belt. The clip holds perfectly.

LOKNLOD
10-29-2016, 09:09 PM
I continue to find the combination of a traditional appendix holster like a JM George along with a clip holster like the JM Universal best meets my needs. I have the George set up with kydex split loops, optimized in height for my draw. My Universal is set-up lower, to optimize concealment at the cost of less knuckle clearance. The Universal is perfect for use, like tonight, where I went for a hike in Prana shorts that just have an integral belt. The clip holds perfectly.

I think this is money.

I have a G17 sized keeper with solid belt loop, allowing carry of G17/19/26 with good concealment of the bigger pistols and very solid draw, and a clip on Keeper lite in G19 size that allows versatile on-off and a little flatter footprint for the shorter gripped guns.

The on-off is very handy for me, for instance it's nice if I'm in and out of school with the daughters and need to discretely de-gun in the car.

I do need a tuckable, deep concealment option for dressing up though.

Rex G
10-31-2016, 02:37 PM
Well, no. The only auto-pistol I have that works well for me, all day long, AIWB, is a G26 in an RCS AC-R. I tried several AIWB rigs for the G19, all high-end, recommended by good folks on such forums as this this one and TPI. All were of the type that position the grip to be accessible for a full grasp of the grip at the start of the draw. In each case, with G19-sized holsters, the muzzle area creates a hot spot, if I persevere in wearing it. I gave up. My primary handgun usually rides at 0300, anyway, same as my duty holster position, so AIWB is mainly for a second weapon, and the G26 is a wonderful second weapon.

I can carry several 3" and 4" revolvers AIWB, with all-day comfort. The wider cylinder rests in the inguinal crease, and the slimmer barrel bridges past the place where a G19-sized holster creates the hot spot. My revolver AIWB holsters are no longer in production, from the Eighties, made by Eagle Industries, and notably, differ from their more-recent IWB holsters.

I the past, I found I could wear my Wilson Combat Sentinel AIWB, in a Blade-Tech IWB holster that I modified to ride vertically. The Sentinel never became a trusted carry gun, however, as its magazine springs tended to lose tension if kept loaded. Full-length magazines worked well enough, but that defeated the purpose of the Sentinel-sized weapon, so I sold it, with full disclosure of its history. (I later heard that Wilson Combat had fixed its weak-mag-spring issues, which caused some seller's remorse.)

CSW
11-10-2016, 07:22 AM
While I was carrying the G17, I used a CCC Shaggy, or the Zorn Skinny rig.
A Zorn Skinny also for the 26.

Now that I have gone to the Walther P99as as my EDC, I exclusively use a KSG sidekick AIWB. Gabe built me an amazing holster that comfortable all day, hides great, and is very well built.