PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Drill attachment for Handgun Loads

-ad-
07-28-2016, 06:11 PM
I've come across the Worlds Finest Trimmer - and love the idea of using a drill to do my case trimming instead of doing it by hand.

Unfortunately though - all their adapters seem to be for long arms, and they don't have anything for 38 specials...

Does anyone use a similar device for handgun loads (particularly 38 specials), and if so - would you mind sharing where you sourced it from?

(FWIW this is for competition match reloads - for consistency) :)

dbateman
07-28-2016, 06:21 PM
Most people don't trim handgun brass.

I have never trimmed it, I do trim rifle brass.

If I were wanting to I'd use a Wilson shark fin.

ranger
07-28-2016, 09:46 PM
Never trimmed a pistol case in my life.

LittleLebowski
07-29-2016, 08:33 AM
How much do you have to trim your loads now? Like the others, I've never heard of trimming pistol loads.

-ad-
07-30-2016, 03:09 AM
How much do you have to trim your loads now? Like the others, I've never heard of trimming pistol loads.

I don't have to trim much off - just more chasing consistency. I guess there's a reason these things aren't available in pistol caliber - sounds like there's not much of a demand for them...

dbateman
07-30-2016, 05:27 AM
The reason no one trims is because pistol brass typically doesn't strech much at at, your cases will usually crack before you reach max length.

That being said, I do have a shooting buddy that trims new brass to uniform his brass, once he has done it he doesn't do it again. All he is doing is squaring up the case mouth. He seems to think there is some value in doing it.

I'd actually forgotten about it until I was thinking about you post today.

-ad-
07-30-2016, 05:17 PM
The reason no one trims is because pistol brass typically doesn't strech much at at, your cases will usually crack before you reach max length.

That being said, I do have a shooting buddy that trims new brass to uniform his brass, once he has done it he doesn't do it again. All he is doing is squaring up the case mouth. He seems to think there is some value in doing it.

I'd actually forgotten about it until I was thinking about you post today.

That was my thoughts as well - to have everything uniform. I figure if I trim new brass, and then keep the brass in batches, even if it does stretch - it will stretch the same, thus having smaller groups.

I wonder what the A grade target shooters do.

Wobblie
08-05-2016, 08:57 AM
I can't shoot good enough to realize any benefit from trimming pistol cases.

nwhpfan
08-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Nobody trims pistol brass. That's why nobody makes a trimmer for them.

Wheeler
08-07-2016, 11:40 AM
I've shot 1/2" three shot groups with my model 12 .38 at 20 yards using commercial cast 158 grain LSWC's, 4.2 grains of W231, no idea on the primers and untrimmed, mixed headstamp brass. I can't see the benefits of trimming pistol cases unless it's an OCD thing.

andre3k
08-07-2016, 12:04 PM
I use a regular RCBS trimmer for trimming 357 brass. It makes a huge difference in getting perfect crimps for cast loads at magnum velocities. I saw quite a bit of variation in my brass. Usually about .015 before trimming.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk