PDA

View Full Version : New drill: Double Down

Serpico1985
11-08-2011, 01:57 PM
I was at the range today and shot a new drill I had rolling around in my head. I call it "double down" and wanted to get some help with it. Here's the drill:

Range: 3, 6, 12 and 25 yards

Target: 6" circle

Start position: gun in holster, hands at sides

Rounds fired: 20

Shooter sets up 4 targets (all 6" circles). One at 3, 6, 12 and 25 yards. Shooter loads pistol with 10 rounds and needs an additional 10 round magazine. On the buzzer shooter fires the following in this order:

3 yards: 4 rounds
6 yards: 3 rounds
12 yards: 2 rounds
25 yards: 1 round

Slide lock reload

25 yards: 1 round
12 yards: 2 rounds
6 yards: 3 rounds
3 yards: 4 rounds.

***Must be shot clean to count***

Called "double down" because you double your distance from target to target (I'm aware that 12 + 12 is 24). I've only recently started really trying to improve my shooting and I found this drill challenging and helpful for a few reasons. I have to really concentrate to make both the 25 yard hits, add the timer to it and It took me 8 tries to clean it (31.46 with my HK45). Having the same size target double in distance from string to string helps drive home the "see what you need to see" nugget of knowledge I've read about. On the 3 yard target I'm getting flash sight pictures and slowing way down at 25.

For scoring I figure a time range like F.A.S.T. and others. That's where I wanted to get some help. I was hoping some of you experts would shot the drill and let me know so I can have a base range to work towards. Of course any decrease in time is good but I'd like something to stack it up against. I shot it clean in 31.46 secs. The video is -1 on the 12 and 25 yard targets at 31.04 secs. I shoot the F.A.S.T. at intermediate level for reference (although not much). For instance I have no idea if a coin holder could shoot this drill in 12 seconds, 15? I just don't know.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2ag6x3r.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUqotdhvHgM

In case your wondering I had two birthday's between the 25 yard shots...

Thanks for any help.

Edited to add:

I find it literally LAUGH OUT LOUD hilarious that I have a bit of a 'food blister' and a search for 'double down' on youtube brings up numerous KFC adds......

ToddG
11-08-2011, 02:28 PM
First thought: if you changed it to a 8" circle it would be compatible with IDPA targets.

I'll be at a range this weekend where we can set this up, so hopefully a handful of us can run it and provide some feedback.

Al T.
11-08-2011, 02:38 PM
On my local range, I'd have to do it as a walk back. Also takes more target stands than I have available.

OT:

Noticed you shot the drill with a Glock. Thought someone with a "Serpico" handle would use a BHP. :)

Serpico1985
11-08-2011, 02:57 PM
8" was my first thought. Don't know why I settled on 6". It does suck that it requires 4 target stands.

I'll be at a range this weekend where we can set this up, so hopefully a handful of us can run it and provide some feedback.

Sweet!

rjohnson4405
11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
I didn't catch that it required four target stands. I figured you were running the distances.

Serpico1985
11-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Todd,

I took your advice and used 8" circles today. I had some other guys at the range with me (just happened to be there) who all agreed that 8" made more sense (also quoting your "you can use a IDPA target" point, go figure). Prior to shooting this drill I worked on accuracy at distance shooting the week 1 DotW and shooting 5 inch circles from 15 yards. I guess it paid off. I shot the drill clean in 20.56 the first attempt shaving 11 seconds off the last clean run. I didn't video it and didn't record any splits but I'm quite sure I made up all the time on the 12 and 25 yard targets. Some of the other guys shot it but no one shot it clean, times ranged from 20 to 35 seconds.

25 yard target, practice pays off
http://i42.tinypic.com/2zq67mw.jpg

I can't edit my original post but the official target for this drill now is an 8" circle

Thanks for the advice, we had fun with it today.

ToddG
11-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Sounds like a better way to go all around. Looking forward to trying this once the weather warms up and we do some shooting outdoors again!