PDA

View Full Version : Number 4 Buckshot through Turkey Extra-Full Rem-Choke?

Rex G
07-22-2016, 02:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone on this forum may have fired #4 Buck through a Turkey Extra-Full Rem-Choke, with good results? I keep 00 Buck in my 870P that has a Vang-Comped barrel, and realize the superiority of 00 for more anti-personnel scenarios, but smaller shot has it place, for some sporting and pest/predator control purposes. My employer mandates either 00 or #4 for duty, and that includes defense of any person, 24/7. (We buy our own weapons and ammunition.)

I just bought an apparently unused, pre-owned 21" limited-run Remington Turkey barrel, with a Turkey Extra-Full Rem Choke, for my second 870P. Before spending money on other chokes or on #4 Buck, I figured I would ask if anyone here has tried this combination. I did Google this, and found a couple of Internet posts, which indicated #4 Buck is the maximum recommended shot size for this particular Rem Choke. There was little other detail.

Thanks!

Al T.
07-22-2016, 05:13 PM
New combination to me, but as shotguns tend to be individuals (like .22s), worth testing. For, what, six bucks or so for a box of #4 buck, be neat to see what happens. IME, if the choke is too tight for the size shot used, you see an increase in flyers, early and at closer ranges. I probably have a spare modified Rem-Choke around here somewhere if the Turkey choke does not work out. No charge...

Rex G
07-22-2016, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, and the gracious offer.