PDA

View Full Version : VP9 rust/corrosion

bponce74
07-14-2016, 10:16 AM
Has anyone had any issues with surface rust or corrosion on a VP9 or H&K in general? I have two, one of which is my duty pistol. I just noticed that the slide stop on both sides is rusting. More so on the left lever. Upon further inspection, I noticed some surface rust on a cocking serration on the right side and also some of my magazines are beginning to rust as well. Like I said, this is a duty pistol so its exposed to some elements; however, its cleaned, oiled and maintained regularly. Anyone else having this issue?

Peally
07-14-2016, 10:33 AM
I can't really tell from your photos but this thread may prove informative:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17658-HK-s-and-finish-wear-rust

I believe most of these issues of rust are simple discoloration. I've not ever had it happen on my 45 though (aside from holster wear slowly taking off the color in places).

bpack325
07-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Actually, in my case it was rust. Not discoloration but legit rusting of slide release levers on both my VP9 and P2000sk. I've since had them cerakoted. I have a USP and a P30sk that are much newer and am monitoring them for the same. Slides seem fine, just the levers.

Peally
07-14-2016, 02:35 PM
How's the cerakote holding up? My 45 has been completely bulletproof despite neglect, but I'm looking to get a VP9 for USPSA/carry and this has me a teeny bit leery. 9mm is cheaper so I gotta get something eventually.

MSparks909
07-14-2016, 02:51 PM
A bunch of my VP9 mags are covered in surface rust. I live in the very humid area of Eastern NC, so that doesn't help things. I scrubbed the rust off with a copper brush and wiped them with a CLP rag. May send them out to have them coated in the future.

RJ
07-14-2016, 04:21 PM
Not on mine.

Maybe contact HK CS?

bpack325
07-14-2016, 05:15 PM
9130The Cerakote on the metallic parts is holding up fine, slide releases etc. The polymer frame shows some wear in spots, but nothing to really cry over since they see a lot of use. I feel like I'm getting the corrosion protection I need now. I have had the surface rusting on the mags as well, but I dunno I could be one of those guys with real acidic sweat or something.

OnionsAndDragons
07-14-2016, 10:41 PM
I've had surface rust on levers of my p2000 and p30. Nothing on the slides whatsoever.

TCB
07-14-2016, 10:47 PM
We had a lot of our P2000 magazines rust when I was in S Texas. Just keep on them...clean regularly and a light (very light) wipe with an oily rag should sort them out. I'd suspect the same would work on the other metal parts?

farscott
07-15-2016, 12:59 PM
None of my wife's or my P30 pistols and magazines show any signs of corrosion or rust although the control levers are turning brown and/or silver. As a rule, at the end of the evening I wipe down the pistols, and I wipe down magazines after a trip to the range. In both cases, I use an oily rag with Break-Free CLP. If I get caught in the rain, I field strip and clean.

Peally
07-15-2016, 01:02 PM
That's what has me curious. I carry/compete with an HK45 but that thing hasn't seen a spot of rust since purchase, mags or gun (and I consider it basically a P30 clone). Wisconsin isn't exactly a saltwater hell but I sure as crap don't wipe it down every night, it gets cleaned maybe every 500-800 rounds.

bpack325
07-15-2016, 08:09 PM
I live right on a great lake, and corrosion on most things tends to be a problem. Still, when I had glocks/m&ps I didn't encounter these issues. Yet I feel the juice is worth the squeeze for what I'm getting in exchange for getting off my ass and maintaining them semi-regularly. The cerakoting has been nice however, minus the detail stripping and turn around times

Cincinnatus
07-15-2016, 08:57 PM
Carry HK all the time in humid hot TX, and no rust. Occasionally wipe exterior and mags with CLP, about once a week.

Mjolnir
07-27-2016, 01:10 PM
Boeshield T-9

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

FOG
07-27-2016, 07:17 PM
No rust on my vp9 or 5 mags.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Dagga Boy
07-27-2016, 08:01 PM
Having spent a bunch of time working in cop gun shops, owning one, and three decades around this stuff.......there are a few folks out there who have simply caustic sweat. I will never forget the first guy I encountered this with from San Diego PD. Dude tried everything and would rust a gun in nothing flat. Turned a electrolysis nickel SiG P226 a weird orange brown color in a month. SiG was baffled. Guy would kill a blues gun in days. Had to have his revolvers hard chromed...and those has to be done right. Eventually we did okay with a K Kote SiG. Others we used hard chrome or NP3. If you are one of those folks, you may want to call Robar.

Ronin_Jedi
07-27-2016, 09:20 PM
May not just be a sweat issue.

Knew a women who could never wear an electric watch. When she did, in no time flat (pun), the watch lost time; some sped up, others slowed down. Every watch repair shop was baffled.

I would suspect that, in some cases, what is happening is a combination of the two, with sweat being influenced a lot by what you eat/drink, not to mention DNA.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Wayne Dobbs
07-28-2016, 09:35 AM
May not just be a sweat issue.

Knew a women who could never wear an electric watch. When she did, in no time flat (pun), the watch lost time; some sped up, others slowed down. Every watch repair shop was baffled.

I would suspect that, in some cases, what is happening is a combination of the two, with sweat being influenced a lot by what you eat/drink, not to mention DNA.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Scary gal! Did she ride a broom??

I worked with a guy for over 20 years at my PD that had sweat that would corrode a blue gun in very short order. He absolutely trashed a 4" blue Model 19 that I bought off him for a song and had to refinish with a bead blast blue. Still had pits showing but shot well. He's gone now, from brain cancer, and I have a Model 66 3" that he carried for years that the sweat didn't affect. RIP, Dan, you were a hell of a cop and a great Detective.

Dagga Boy
07-28-2016, 10:05 AM
Scary gal! Did she ride a broom??

I worked with a guy for over 20 years at my PD that had sweat that would corrode a blue gun in very short order. He absolutely trashed a 4" blue Model 19 that I bought off him for a song and had to refinish with a bead blast blue. Still had pits showing but shot well. He's gone now, from brain cancer, and I have a Model 66 3" that he carried for years that the sweat didn't affect. RIP, Dan, you were a hell of a cop and a great Detective.

You do him a great honor with how well you destroy X rings with that 3 inch. He left it in good hands.

LSP552
07-28-2016, 11:01 AM
I have very corrosive sweat! In the old days, I could destroy the finish on an old SIG in a couple of days, even well oiled. My old SIG work guns HAD to be K-Côte or Robar NP3 to survive.

That's one reason why I love me some Glocks and stainless slide SIGs.

Wondering Beard
07-28-2016, 11:28 AM
My hands have eaten through Black T

JonInWA
07-28-2016, 03:51 PM
On my HK VP40 (and all of my other semi-auto magazines), I treat the interior of the magazine tube and the spring with Dri-Slide, a dry-film lubricant with anti-corrosive properties. My tube exterior I wipe down with Weapon Shield, leaving a thin protective film. No rust to date. I also use the Weapon Shield on all the VP's levers. slide interior/exterior, and barrel.

Best, Jon

Greg
07-28-2016, 08:07 PM
I don't know if it is BS or not but I've heard pregnant women's sweat can trash blued finishes.

Wimmins.....