PDA

View Full Version : Business Clothes that don't shrink

rob_s
07-13-2016, 08:54 AM
Way off-topic but this is a forum seemingly populated by other mid-management office drone suburbanites.

I don't even care carry/no-carry. I just want something that I can buy that won't look like high-waders in 3 washings.

"Business" for me pretty much means khakis and button down shirt. If it matters I'll be 42 this year, 6'1", 190 lbs, typical dad bod.

The last attempt I made was buying no-iron pants from J Crew which after a few washings are already up past the ball of my ankles.

I'm not wearing "skinny pants" but I'm also not looking to look like I shit myself in some old-man pants.. I'm almost to the point of over-dressing and going all dry-clean with my clothes just to hopefully avoid the shrinkage issues.

anyone found anything that works?

I'm mostly talking about pants, but shirts seem to follow the same pattern, albeit over a longer period. That may just be because I have more of them so they get washed less frequently.

I'm not sure if there might be some method of washing that would cause less shrinkage. We have a whole-house RO system, so not sure if the RO water in the new house is causing issues I didn't encounter on city water.

SouthNarc
07-13-2016, 09:03 AM
Are you hang drying your clothes? You shouldn't get a ton of shrinkage if you're washing in cold and line drying. I know that's a pain in the ass but it's the best way I've found.

Peally
07-13-2016, 09:09 AM
Same here, I wash everything cold and air dry whatever I don't want to shrink. It blows but it makes things last longer.

rob_s
07-13-2016, 09:11 AM
Damn, I can't be line-drying shit. If that's the only option I'll have to go to dry-cleaning.

41magfan
07-13-2016, 09:12 AM
I grew up with the paradigm that just about everything was going to shrink, but for the last 20 years I haven't experienced that so much. As noted already, the dryer is the culprit if the pre-shrunk element wasn't satisfied in production. A very short, low heat cycle that just barely starts to dry the garment - followed by line drying - is a foolproof method I've used for many years.

Lon
07-13-2016, 09:13 AM
I bought pants from Joseph A Banks when I was in the detective section. Had a "permanent" crease that I'd iron every 4-5 washings. I'd take them out of the dryer right away and wrinkles weren't usually a problem. Not cheap though. Flex fit waist.

Bad pics:

rob_s
07-13-2016, 09:15 AM
I grew up with the paradigm that just about everything was going to shrink, but for the last 20 years I haven't experienced that so much. As noted already, the dryer is the culprit if the pre-shrunk element wasn't satisfied in production. A very short, low heat cycle that just barely starts to dry the garment - followed by line drying - is a foolproof method I've used for many years.

I've been kind of doing this, but my schedule just doesn't really allow for it. Plus the factor that I'm not always the one doing the washing...

since getting these pants, when I'm the one that washes them, I've put them on a short-low cycle, pulled them out and put them on the hanger to dry, and they are still shrinking.

Matt O
07-13-2016, 09:17 AM
Damn, I can't be line-drying shit. If that's the only option I'll have to go to dry-cleaning.

Not sure if that's sarcasm?

I hang dry all long-sleeve shirts and pants, regardless of if they're for work or not. I'm relatively tall and have pretty long arms, so shrinkage is a bitch. It's not a huge imposition and just requires washing your clothes earlier than the night before you need them.

ETA: If you're hang drying your clothes and they're still shrinking, I'd switch brands.

rob_s
07-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Not sure if that's sarcasm?

I hang dry all long-sleeve shirts and pants, regardless of if they're for work or not. I'm relatively tall and have pretty long arms, so shrinkage is a bitch. It's not a huge imposition and just requires washing your clothes earlier than the night before you need them.

No, it's not sarcasm. I'm not doing it. As mentioned above, part of the issue is that I'm not always the one doing the washing. And I'm not spending my time doing it when it's me.

so I don't need a technique solution, I need a hardware solution.

orionz06
07-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Express stuff works well for me in that regard. Their pricing structure works well for those who find stuff that works and buys all the colors, which I suspect is where you might land. They also do coupons all the time.

I also have a fair amount of Banana Republic stuff, pants especially, and on the normal dry setting they're fine. Edit: normal dry temp is medium/low.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

SouthNarc
07-13-2016, 09:25 AM
No, it's not sarcasm. I'm not doing it. As mentioned above, part of the issue is that I'm not always the one doing the washing. And I'm not spending my time doing it when it's me.

so I don't need a technique solution, I need a hardware solution.

Well if you put your clothes in the dryer....they're gonna' shrink. There's no way around that.

You live in FL right? You can't get some drying racks and drape your clothes on them in the garage? They'll be dry in a half day probably less. Then if you pop them in the dryer for three to five minutes you can knock out all the wrinkles if you hang them immediately.

I get that's more time put towards clothes but the bottom line is if you want them to last longer you're gonna' have to take better care go them.

FNFAN
07-13-2016, 09:28 AM
Dillards is your friend!

Shop their sales and you can get decent office quality Perry Ellis slacks and the Gold Label dress shirts at a price that allows you to recycle your wardrobe periodically. It's far from Paul Smith, Cavalli, Brooks Brothers but you can buy it right if you shop the sales and it is acceptable mid management office wear. Nordstroms offerings are the next step up IMO.

I use the clamp style hangers for slacks and tumble for 5 minutes and then air dry and virtually never have to iron pants. Dress shirts I like well starched though. Good luck!

rob_s
07-13-2016, 09:36 AM
Well if you put your clothes in the dryer....they're gonna' shrink. There's no way around that.

You live in FL right? You can't get some drying racks and drape your clothes on them in the garage? They'll be dry in a half day probably less. Then if you pop them in the dryer for three to five minutes you can knock out all the wrinkles if you hang them immediately.

I get that's more time put towards clothes but the bottom line is if you want them to last longer you're gonna' have to take better care go them.

Yeah, that's my point, I don't have the time, so I don't need a technique adjustment, I need clothes that don't shrink. If that means I have to get everything dry-cleaned, I will. I'd rather spend the money than the time. What I was hoping was that maybe there were some brands with a higher amount of synthetics in the fabrics that would be easier to care for.

One brand I'm considering is these guys. Relatively affordable and seem to be the new hotness. Pretty much dry-clean only, if I have to go that route.
https://www.combatgent.com/

I also have an outlet mall within 10 minutes of my office and I can get less expensive options from j Crew, Banana Republic, Dockers, Brooks Brothers, etc.

farscott
07-13-2016, 09:42 AM
Almost all of my work pants are 100% wool or wool blends, so I dry clean pants and shirts. I like wool pants because wool is warm during winter and cool during summer. The negatives are the cost of dry cleaning and wool moths. Keeping wool clean and in well lit space eliminates wool moths. I can wear a single pair of pants once per week or two up to four or five times before taking it to be dry cleaned. Would be less, but travel is hard on clothes.

rob_s
07-13-2016, 09:46 AM
Express stuff works well for me in that regard. Their pricing structure works well for those who find stuff that works and buys all the colors, which I suspect is where you might land.

That is definitely me. I had some Express stuff in the past and liked it but thought they seemed to have vanished, at least in malls near me. "Express Male" was a store I didn't see last time I was there.

JohnO
07-13-2016, 09:54 AM
You know they will shrink so purchase accordingly. I have been doing that for as long as I can remember.

Peally
07-13-2016, 10:06 AM
Good point. If they stop shrinking at some point maybe they make long versions of the pantaloons you seek.

rob_s
07-13-2016, 10:34 AM
You know they will shrink so purchase accordingly. I have been doing that for as long as I can remember.

I used to be able to do that, but lately it seems much harder to do. Clothing companies change what they offer week-to-week and month-to-month, not to mention different factories making the same garment with the same sku, and I can't seem to nail down the shrinkage rate. I've literally bought two pairs of the same pants from several vendors and had them either arrive sized differently or shrink at different rates.

I think some of this is due to my waist size, moreso than the length. If a guy wears a 44" waist and the pants go down an inch it's a 2% reduction. at 33" waist that's a 3% reduction, which is fare more noticeable.

One thing that's come about in newer clothes that has helped a lot is the "stretch" added to a lot of them. That at least allows for some amount of give, but in some cases I've found the shrinkage also seems to eliminate the stretch.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-13-2016, 11:04 AM
1. The problem is not that clothes shrink but that I expand.

2. Old man pants - well, be an old man - stop trying to dress to impress, you will be there. See the suspenders thread.

JohnO
07-13-2016, 12:08 PM
One thing that's come about in newer clothes that has helped a lot is the "stretch" added to a lot of them. That at least allows for some amount of give, but in some cases I've found the shrinkage also seems to eliminate the stretch.

I find that "stretch" pants specifically are nothing but trouble. Sure they feel great however they let you get away with too much. Next thing you know only your stretch pants are the only ones that fit and they are stretched to the limit. Gone is that telltale warning after dinner when your pants become uncomfortable. You probably have also noticed that if you let your waist size increase your pants will appear/get shorter.

I tend to seesaw with my weight and waist size. I never let it get too far out of control but as I have gotten older it has become more difficult to keep in check. I can still drop weight easily when I need to however the will power to keep away from sweets (especially ice cream) sometimes escapes me.

JTQ
07-13-2016, 12:18 PM
I get very little shrinkage from L L Bean chino's http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/22821?feat=590-GN1&page=wrinkle-free-double-l-chinos-classic-fit-plain-front

The Navy color fades fairly quickly, but they khaki versions are pretty good.

Hambo
07-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Yeah, that's my point, I don't have the time,

You've lost me here. My clothes dry while I do other things like work, work out, shoot, watch baseball, etc.

Shellback
07-13-2016, 12:54 PM
The Kuhl Slax (http://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/pants/slax/) are really comfy and don't seem to wrinkle much. They haven't shrunk at all after a dozen times washing them but I have no idea how the laundry fairy dries them. I assume on a hanger and not the dryer.

Spurholder
07-13-2016, 01:09 PM
I bought pants from Joseph A Banks when I was in the detective section. Had a "permanent" crease that I'd iron every 4-5 washings. I'd take them out of the dryer right away and wrinkles weren't usually a problem. Not cheap though. Flex fit waist.

Yeah, that. I've been a pretty loyal Bank's customer for right around 35 years. Their wash and wear stuff lasts a good long time. Most of the stores have a small alterations shop that can do what you want, in a limited way.

http://www.josbank.com/traveler-plain-front-tailored-fit-khakis

rob_s
07-13-2016, 01:47 PM
You've lost me here. My clothes dry while I do other things like work, work out, shoot, watch baseball, etc.

Yep, but you gotta stand around like a momo waiting for them to finish so you grab them and hang them up. Ain't nobody got time for that shit. I'm more in line with throw them in to wash at night, stick them in the dryer in the morning, pull them out again the following night.

Plus, as mentioned, it's not always me doing the washing, and frankly I'd prefer to turn that into actually not being me at all, so having shrink-proof clothes will help with that.

orionz06
07-13-2016, 02:09 PM
Yep, but you gotta stand around like a momo waiting for them to finish so you grab them and hang them up. Ain't nobody got time for that shit. I'm more in line with throw them in to wash at night, stick them in the dryer in the morning, pull them out again the following night.

Plus, as mentioned, it's not always me doing the washing, and frankly I'd prefer to turn that into actually not being me at all, so having shrink-proof clothes will help with that.

Why are you waiting around to hang then immediately?

Shellback
07-13-2016, 02:13 PM
Holyfuck some people could ruin a wet dream. Hang'em on a hanger, throw them on the shower curtain rod, and transfer to them to a closet the next day.

rob_s
07-13-2016, 02:41 PM
Why are you waiting around to hang then immediately?

Huh? I don't understand the question.

If you mean why don't I take them out of the wash and hang them immediately it's because I'm not sitting around waiting for the washing machine to finish running to hang up my clothes. Or the dryer for that matter.

rob_s
07-13-2016, 02:44 PM
Holyfuck some people could ruin a wet dream.

On this I agree with you. The question was "clothes that don't shrink" and the answers were "you're washing your existing clothes wrong".

Talk about a reading comprehension problem. holyfuck some people can fuck things up.

Even when it was pointed out that it's not me doing the washing most times, the responses still ignored that fact and continued on with "spend your life waiting for the washing machine and dryer to finish what they are doing before you continue with your life."

To sum up, yes, no shit, I can wait around for the machine and meticulously hang everything up, then go on to move all this shit around, re-hang, whatever. The point here is that I can't believe that in this day and age that's the only answer.

farscott
07-13-2016, 02:50 PM
If your time is like mine, valuable and hard to come by, dry cleaning is the best answer. I burn 30 minutes every few weeks dropping off and picking up clothes, and I can get them packaged for the closet or the suitcase. Well worth the monetary investment, and it solves the shrinkage issue.

SouthNarc
07-13-2016, 02:51 PM
Dry cleaning truly will wear your shit out in no time.

orionz06
07-13-2016, 02:59 PM
Somewhere along the way I feel like you've made laundry, pants, or both excessively difficult.

LOKNLOD
07-13-2016, 04:01 PM
I wear dockers almost exclusively around the office, I think they're a mix of "essential khakis" and "signature khakis". They're always on sale somewhere, and the more blended versions are pretty wrinkle free and don't shrink up on me. I like the straight fit flat front ones for the more modern fit without going to the slim/skinny ones.

My wife sucks at laundry and they get washed pretty much every wear (some guys I know go 2-3 wears between washes?); they get standard wash/dry cycles and hung up. Because she sucks at laundry they often get one or two "dewrinkle" cycles after sitting in the dryer too long, too. They usually fail due to a button loss or me tearing them up vs outright wearing out.

Shirts on the other hand... Keeping the damn sleeves from shrinking up is a pain. It's hard to look good with off the rack shirts.

Hambo
07-13-2016, 04:33 PM

I still think you have a process problem, and here's why. I buy these http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/34442?page=wrinkle-resistant-classic-oxford-cloth-shirt-traditional-fit. These are shirts I actually run through the dryer. They do not shrink and they look great without ironing, but I've never left them in a semi-wet pile in the washer all night before drying. They may or may not work for your preferred method, but they're good shirts.

ranger
07-13-2016, 06:11 PM
VERTX khakis (without cargo pockets) are doing great for me in business casual setting. Got three pairs - dark grey, dark brown khaki, and traditional khaki color. Wear great, mo wrinkle, no shrinkage.

Gater
07-13-2016, 06:16 PM
FWIW, I've had pretty good luck with Banana Republic's non-iron cotton stuff for office duty wear, both shirts and pants. I machine wash and dry according to the label after washing and line drying the first time, and accept that they are going to wear out at some point. I've got a couple pairs from 2014 that are holding up okay with on average weekly washing/drying, and shrinkage has not been an issue. You can get BR stuff at 40% off regular price easily--at that point, dry cleaning isn't worth the cost or hassle to me. I've found that the sizing and materials of every brand I have tried can vary, especially from run to run--they can switch suppliers within the same year, and the results can be completely different, so don't assume that the same thing from the same brand will fit (or hold up) the same.

orionz06
07-13-2016, 06:21 PM
FWIW, I've had pretty good luck with Banana Republic's non-iron cotton stuff for office duty wear, both shirts and pants. I machine wash and dry according to the label after washing and line drying the first time, and accept that they are going to wear out at some point. I've got a couple pairs from 2014 that are holding up okay with on average weekly washing/drying, and shrinkage has not been an issue. You can get BR stuff at 40% off regular price easily--at that point, dry cleaning isn't worth the cost or hassle to me. I've found that the sizing and materials of every brand I have tried can vary, especially from run to run--they can switch suppliers within the same year, and the results can be completely different, so don't assume that the same thing from the same brand will fit (or hold up) the same.

http://www.bananarepublicfactory.com/?

That's their outlet site. I just recently got 4 pairs of pants for $75, likely the same you get.

RevolverRob
07-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Get some tailored pants, lightweight wool and linen tend to not shrink like the the cotton/polyester of cheaper khakis. Darker colors.

Also, don't wash them often. Seriously. People actually over-wash clothes today. You should be able to wear pants 3-5 times before washing.

VolGrad
07-13-2016, 07:47 PM
Not due to shrinkage but I've almost stopped buying khakis. They are generally heavy, hot, and wear quickly. I've started buying nice lighter weight no wrinkle dress slacks for office days. They are actually more comfortable, cooler, and less binding. They wear longer too. Besides its better to be a little over dressed than under dressed. Throw on a polo or button down and you are good to go.

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

farscott
07-14-2016, 04:17 AM
Dry cleaning truly will wear your shit out in no time.

Good dry cleaners, used to working with wool, do not unduly wear clothes. Cotton dress shirts, I agree, basically dissolve due to the combo of the cleaners and the heavy starch. I have slacks that are five years old, but all of my dress shirts last about a year.

rob_s
07-14-2016, 05:33 AM

I was doing their shirts for a long time. Actually just replaced the whole "fleet" of 10 shirts with similar from Lands End because:no-collar-stays-on-LE and because:no-pocket-on-BR, but the BR shirts lasted quite well.

jc000
07-14-2016, 05:33 AM
To sum up, yes, no shit, I can wait around for the machine and meticulously hang everything up, then go on to move all this shit around, re-hang, whatever.

Isn't that what the wife / girlfriend is for?

rob_s
07-14-2016, 05:35 AM
Somewhere along the way I feel like you've made laundry, pants, or both excessively difficult.

Clearly.

But these things are what they are. The biggest issue, as mentioned repeatedly, is that I'm not always the one to wash these clothes, and to maintain that service and domestic bliss, I need a solution that stands up to the process indicated.

rob_s
07-14-2016, 05:36 AM
Isn't that what the wife / girlfriend is for?

Who do you think is leaving them in the machine all day?

jc000
07-14-2016, 05:37 AM
Sounds like a training issue to me.

Poconnor
07-14-2016, 05:48 AM
For the sake of domestic bliss just volunteer to do the wash all the time. I did it with my first wife because she was fucking up my clothing. She was drying everything and I couldn't afford to buy new clothes because she kept shrinking them. I keep a wood drying rack in the laundry room and I mounted a shower curtain in the room too. Problem solved; but I do appreciate your search for better hardware. It's one of the things I like about this forum. A lot of experience and wisdom so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. That and after wearing uniforms for the last 26 years I finally appreciate dressing like a big boy. But it's still a uniform to me. I usually just wear haggar gray slacks from JC Penney. Stretchy and comfy. Paired with a polo or button down , I'm good to go

MGW
07-14-2016, 06:14 AM
VERTX khakis (without cargo pockets) are doing great for me in business casual setting. Got three pairs - dark grey, dark brown khaki, and traditional khaki color. Wear great, mo wrinkle, no shrinkage.

I let the wifey wash mine, I bought five pair, and the waist shrunk a lot. My 34's are closer to 31 1/2s now and just about unwearable. So they can shrink if you let them.

MGW
07-14-2016, 06:19 AM
I bought one pair of Dockers Pacific on the Go pants a year ago and they have been good to go. Wash in cold and dry on low. Light weight, a little stretchy, wrinkle free. They're the most comfortable pants I own. I'll slowly add more of them.

They have another style in the same material but don't remember what they are called.

orionz06
07-14-2016, 06:56 AM
Since it seems that it could matter...

Pants/shirts get washed on cool which is merely a little extra flow (fills faster) than cold alone. Dry cycle is the middle of three settings and for a time period that just drys them. If things sit overnight they're tumbled again before hanging. I've only got a few items that don't work this way and they're handled separately.

Dress pants that are dry clean only will get frozen overnight and occasionally spritzed with some Febreze. Again, Express is pretty decent here. I've got 3 year old dress pants that have been frozen/spritzed and are still going strong. There are minor signs of them being less than well made but the price:wear ratio is quite high. Given how fucky I am with eating like a fat ass I'm more than pleased with their value.

I suspect if your size is consistent you can index mark the washer and dryer, fiddle with the plumbing, and resolve the issues that way. An informal poll of guys that sit near me produced almost all the same answers. Lazy guys, some single, decently dressed relative and no wrinkles or shrinking to speak of.

TGS
07-14-2016, 07:23 AM
I let the wifey wash mine, I bought five pair, and the waist shrunk a lot. My 34's are closer to 31 1/2s now and just about unwearable. So they can shrink if you let them.

I also have some Vertx casuals. I'm drying them on low to keep them from shrinking, as they're well known to do. They fit VERY snug for their size.

I've also found they wrinkle easily and trying to crease them is a worthless effort....they fall out very quickly. The material they're made of does not look particularly nice next to actual business casual clothes. If you wear a super 120s blazer, it's going to be quite apparent.

SouthNarc
07-14-2016, 09:02 AM
Good dry cleaners, used to working with wool, do not unduly wear clothes. Cotton dress shirts, I agree, basically dissolve due to the combo of the cleaners and the heavy starch. I have slacks that are five years old, but all of my dress shirts last about a year.

Shirts are what I was thinking of when I wrote that post, specifically cotton. Wool trousers definitely need dry cleaning only.

For shit I've spent a lot of money on I package it up and send it here.

http://www.ravefabricare.com/conveniences/nationwide-clean-by-mail-service.aspx

Erik
07-14-2016, 09:22 AM
Try Lands End. The pricing is good, they run a lot of sales and their recommendations about measurements seem to work, including what to allow for shrinkage. I wear their stuff for business casual. It's been fine. I just wash it and throw it in the dryer. It seems to go about 1-2 years.

ubervic
07-14-2016, 09:28 AM
Simple solutions:

-Select clothing that is less than 100% cotton (i.e., polyester blends), as they are more resistant to shrinkage
-Wash clothing in cold water or not warmer than 'medium'
-Set dryer to low-temp setting and remove clothing while still damp

Wayne Dobbs
07-14-2016, 09:49 AM

For the past 20 years or so, serious shirts and pants go to the cleaners. It has worked well.

DocGKR
07-14-2016, 11:08 AM
I frequently need to wear professional clothing. What has worked well for several decades it to purchase high quality items in enough quantity so they are not worn too frequently and then get them professionally laundered (sparingly dry clean wool and absolutely NO starch on dress shirts). In addition, having a steamer (https://www.amazon.com/J-2000M-Jiffy-Garment-Steamer-Metal/dp/B000B6QCAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468512469&sr=8-1&keywords=Jiffy+steamer+metal+head) at home allows items to be freshened several times without having to send them to the cleaners.

Jim Watson
07-14-2016, 11:23 AM
I am retired so dress is casual to sloppy with a suit needed only for the occasional wedding or funeral. Even while working, my agency at my level was generally casual with suit needed only for major conventions and conferences.

I dry clean my good khakis, wash and dry the ratty ones.
I am phasing out cotton shirts which will save me the trouble of laundry for the good ones, hang drying for the sloppy ones.
I am fixing to do a comparison test between polyester and cotton-poly blend polo shirts.
I dry clean my rayon aloha shirts.

Ronin_Jedi
07-14-2016, 12:14 PM
I frequently need to wear professional clothing. What has worked well for several decades it to purchase high quality items in enough quantity so they are not worn too frequently and then get them professionally laundered (sparingly dry clean wool and absolutely NO starch on dress shirts). In addition, having a steamer (https://www.amazon.com/J-2000M-Jiffy-Garment-Steamer-Metal/dp/B000B6QCAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468512469&sr=8-1&keywords=Jiffy+steamer+metal+head) at home allows items to be freshened several times without having to send them to the cleaners.

^^^this^^^

To that I'll using your streamed up shower at home or on the road to smooth out your clothing, if you don't want to use a steamer. Hang it on the back of the closed door, over the top of curtain rod/sliding shower door, etc. and let the steam do its magic.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

NEPAKevin
07-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Try Lands End. The pricing is good, they run a lot of sales and their recommendations about measurements seem to work, including what to allow for shrinkage. I wear their stuff for business casual. It's been fine. I just wash it and throw it in the dryer. It seems to go about 1-2 years.

I used to buy a good amount stuff off Lands End when they had a specialty store with a weird name (something like Willis and Geiger?) their version of Banana Republic. I recall some of the sales and clearances were hard to beat and their wrinkle resistant material seemed to also not be prone to shrinkage ( no Seinfeld reference intended).

ubervic
07-14-2016, 02:01 PM
For the past 20 years or so, serious shirts and pants go to the cleaners. It has worked well.

This.

It's not what you pay; it's what you get in return.

Wayne Dobbs
07-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Buying quality clothes, as Gary said above, is important. They cost more upfront, but last much longer which means they are less expensive. I love Land's End shirts, especially their dress shirts. I buy slacks at Men's Warehouse or Joseph Bank. Suits from both or Nordstrom's. I quit buying cheap clothes a long time ago and it's cost me less. Take care of them and they'll take care of you and make you look much better.

DocGKR
07-15-2016, 01:58 AM
Canali suits and coats, particularly the MTO/MTM are the best bang for the buck available that I have found; mainline Zegna (not the odious Z-Zegna) is also very good. I have never found any of these items to shrink, given a modicum or reasonable care. One can move up to moure expensive clothing--Tom Ford, Brioni, Kiton, Huntsman, Gieves & Hawkes, Cifonelli, Camps de Luca, etc... but as fine as these can be, the cost to benefit ratio becomes much thinner.

This is a fanciful article on higher end clothing: http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/the-suit-that-couldnt-be-copied

HopetonBrown
07-15-2016, 04:01 AM
I've found the best suit deals at the Barney's outlet. Bought a $3k Zegna suit last year for $600.

BobLoblaw
07-15-2016, 09:14 AM

I bought that steamer from Amazon several years ago and wouldn't be surprised if it survives longer than every appliance and power tool in my house.

DocGKR
07-15-2016, 09:19 AM
If there is an OTR style the fits your body well, than strategically timing nice clothing purchases to match end of season sales by merchants (ex. Mitchells/Wilkes Bashford, Nieman Marcus, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Barney's, etc...) with higher quality clothing is key--it is quite possible to find very nice clothes at 50% off or more.

El Cid
07-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Yeah, that's my point, I don't have the time, so I don't need a technique adjustment, I need clothes that don't shrink. If that means I have to get everything dry-cleaned, I will. I'd rather spend the money than the time. What I was hoping was that maybe there were some brands with a higher amount of synthetics in the fabrics that would be easier to care for.

One brand I'm considering is these guys. Relatively affordable and seem to be the new hotness. Pretty much dry-clean only, if I have to go that route.
https://www.combatgent.com/

I also have an outlet mall within 10 minutes of my office and I can get less expensive options from j Crew, Banana Republic, Dockers, Brooks Brothers, etc.

Rob, it does suck but I air dry almost all my casual clothes. The only pants I've found I can use the dryer and not have them shrink are the Carhartt B151's. They have small, flat cell phone pockets on each leg and a small hammer loop on one. Not sure if that meets your requirements. Carhartt may have others without side pockets that don't shrink but I can only vouch for the 151's.

rob_s
07-15-2016, 09:48 AM
I bought one pair of Dockers Pacific on the Go pants a year ago and they have been good to go. Wash in cold and dry on low. Light weight, a little stretchy, wrinkle free. They're the most comfortable pants I own. I'll slowly add more of them.

They have another style in the same material but don't remember what they are called.

These maybe?

BEST PRESSED, SIGNATURE IRON FREE, SLIM FIT (http://www.dockers.com/US/en_US/dockers/p/476890002)

orionz06
07-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Nordstom semi annual sale right now.

RevolverRob
07-15-2016, 10:11 AM
If there is an OTR style the fits your body well, than strategically timing nice clothing purchases to match end of season sales by merchants (ex. Mitchells/Wilkes Bashford, Nieman Marcus, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Barney's, etc...) with higher quality clothing is key--it is quite possible to find very nice clothes at 50% off or more.

Neiman Marcus Last Call - http://www.lastcall.com/

Nordstrom Rack - https://www.nordstromrack.com/

If you are on their mailing lists you can usually pick up an additional coupon. Last week on Last Call, I picked up two dress shirts, a new pair of linen casual shorts, some other basics (t-shirts, socks, etc). And the wife picked up some skirts and shoes - total spent was $175. Most of what we bought is Neiman Marcus brand. And I never had to leave the house.

Know your sizes in various cuts. Measure the pants that fit well and know your rise, waist, etc. And shop online.

SouthNarc
07-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Canali suits and coats, particularly the MTO/MTM are the best bang for the buck available that I have found; mainline Zegna (not the odious Z-Zegna) is also very good. I have never found any of these items to shrink, given a modicum or reasonable care. One can move up to moure expensive clothing--Tom Ford, Brioni, Kiton, Huntsman, Gieves & Hawkes, Cifonelli, Camps de Luca, etc... but as fine as these can be, the cost to benefit ratio becomes much thinner.

This is a fanciful article on higher end clothing: http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/the-suit-that-couldnt-be-copied

Gary there are so many little interesting parallels to the training community in that article I had to post it on my fb page. Great find!

DocGKR
07-15-2016, 11:27 AM
These guys business clothes don't shrink:
https://media.gq.com/photos/5773ef7ed8913a8a5e099c88/3:4/w_500/Brioni_ADV_Metallica_2.jpg

DocGKR
07-15-2016, 12:00 PM
Forgot about this place with good merchandise at inexpensive prices: https://www.tiedeals.com

Shellback
07-15-2016, 12:01 PM
Neiman Marcus Last Call - http://www.lastcall.com/

Nordstrom Rack - https://www.nordstromrack.com/

Add http://www.saksoff5th.com/Entry.jsp to your list.

NEPAKevin
07-15-2016, 12:15 PM
These maybe?

BEST PRESSED, SIGNATURE IRON FREE, SLIM FIT (http://www.dockers.com/US/en_US/dockers/p/476890002)

I thought Dockers/Levis were persona non grata in the shooting community? Something about them funding full body massages for Sara Brady and Diane Feinstein and drowning baby bald eagles? might not have the details one hundred percent, but it was along those lines.

Drang
07-17-2016, 01:30 AM
I thought Dockers/Levis were persona non grata in the shooting community? Something about them funding full body massages for Sara Brady and Diane Feinstein and drowning baby bald eagles? might not have the details one hundred percent, but it was along those lines.

Dockers are Levis which are anti Freedom.

Trukinjp13
07-18-2016, 08:29 PM
These guys business clothes don't shrink:
https://media.gq.com/photos/5773ef7ed8913a8a5e099c88/3:4/w_500/Brioni_ADV_Metallica_2.jpg

I really have no clue about this thread, but I seen Metallica. Is the suit thing legit? Love these dudes. Well with Newsted at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MGW
07-18-2016, 08:50 PM
Dockers are Levis which are anti Freedom.

Well crud.

Shellback
07-19-2016, 04:28 AM
I really have no clue about this thread, but I seen Metallica. Is the suit thing legit? Love these dudes. Well with Newsted at least

Here you go. (http://www.maxim.com/entertainment/metallica-menswear-brioni-2016-6)