PDA

View Full Version : What do you wish you had from your kydex gear.

theblacknight
11-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Everyday, a new kydex maker is born. Some good, some not soo much. For those of you smart enough not be be up to you eyeballs in rivets and toaster ovens, what do you wish the garage dwelling ,head-on-fire-trying-to-keep-up-with-orders guys would do that they arnt?

CK1
11-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Wish someone would make an AIWB holster with an opposite cant (so it rides the seam between our legs and our plumbing) for around $50 or less that doesn't suck... I've tried many now, some better than others, and I'm using a $20 Blade-Tech Phantom that's as good as any of them so I'm not convinced it's a get what you pay for thing anymore...

No one really has one that gets the cant right for sitting and moving, straight-drop is just ok, an opposite maybe 15-20 degree cant would be better IMO.

ToddG
11-06-2011, 10:39 PM
FWIW, I have a reverse cant aiwb on my bench that I played with a bit late last week. Does not work for me. The angle of the holster means the gun has to come out at an angle away from my centerline which is slower, less subtle, requires more open space around me, etc.

If a straight drop holster is impacting your thigh when you sit, you need to move it towards the centerline if possible.

CK1
11-06-2011, 10:51 PM
FWIW, I have a reverse cant aiwb on my bench that I played with a bit late last week. Does not work for me. The angle of the holster means the gun has to come out at an angle away from my centerline which is slower, less subtle, requires more open space around me, etc.

If a straight drop holster is impacting your thigh when you sit, you need to move it towards the centerline if possible.

Yeah, function/draw-wise you're probably right... I wear mine at about 12:30-1 o'clock already, thinking I might just have to continue searching for one that works better (really just more comfortable), tried BT Nano, Phantom, a couple High-Noon's, a Fricke, and a Blackhawk leather IWB that all worked out fairly well, but none great... If CCC starts taking orders again I'll have to try a Looper or Shaggy, but I'm starting to think I might just be OCD and after a level of comfort that may not be realistic...

I'd still like to try one with reverse cant out though, not just for comfort reasons either, pretty much my only gripe with appendix carry is that it can make certain subject control/MMA maneuvers painful, some extra mobility without the gun jamming me in my guts or thigh would be very welcome... Even if it meant re-training for a while to get used to the draw, I guess I'd consider it worth it.

JDM
11-06-2011, 11:41 PM
AIWB holsters that are available in less than 4 weeks. These holsters must be crafted based on input from serious AIWB endusers.

TGS
11-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Yeah, function/draw-wise you're probably right... I wear mine at about 12:30-1 o'clock already, thinking I might just have to continue searching for one that works better (really just more comfortable), tried BT Nano, Phantom, a couple High-Noon's, a Fricke, and a Blackhawk leather IWB that all worked out fairly well, but none great... If CCC starts taking orders again I'll have to try a Looper or Shaggy, but I'm starting to think I might just be OCD and after a level of comfort that may not be realistic...

I'd still like to try one with reverse cant out though, not just for comfort reasons either, pretty much my only gripe with appendix carry is that it can make certain subject control/MMA maneuvers painful, some extra mobility without the gun jamming me in my guts or thigh would be very welcome... Even if it meant re-training for a while to get used to the draw, I guess I'd consider it worth it.

Rich at CCC will modify the holster to make it a horizontal grip cant. I originally asked him about this, but seem to be perfectly happy with straight-drop.

For what it's worth, my last belt allowed the Looper to move around quite a bit. Most of the time the holster/gun sat in a reverse cant position simply because my Galco belt sucked. Going to a stiffer belt that is actually 1.5" instead of 1.4xx" has the holster pointing straight up and solid as can be, and it's been MUCH more comfortable ever since. Before, I could wear the holster for 4-6 hours, but couldn't figure out how guys carried AIWB from sunup to sundown reliably (some days I could, most days only 4-6 hours at a time). Now, I can carry sunup-sundown comfortably with AIWB. It seems to be a position where small tweaks can make big difference.

Keep at it. When you order the Shaggy, see if Rich will give you a standard vertical clip/loop and also a modified clip/loop for reverse cant. That'd be the best way to try out both, if possible.

orionz06
11-07-2011, 12:18 AM
AIWB holsters that are available in less than 4 weeks. These holsters must be crafted based on input from serious AIWB endusers.

I am trying. I hope to have a backlog cleared up enough to try some stuff before Thanksgiving.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1618-AIWB-Holster-Design-Input

JDM
11-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Posted. Thanks for the link.

Do you have a website? PM is fine.

Dropkick
11-07-2011, 08:50 AM
No one makes pouches for Fenix flash lights (specifically the TK12.) This makes me sad.

CK1
11-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks TGS, I'll look into getting 2 clips from Rich when he starts taking orders again...

Also, the above poster hit on something: flashlights... Seems like all the kydex for lights out there is for Surefire or Streamlight, though these days there are a lot more options out there (for instance I like many have switched to 4Sevens' lights).

Really just basic duty gear in kydex can be hard to come by... I have kydex with tek-loks for radio, cuffs, and light, and guys ask me all the time where I got it (took a long wait from Blade-Tech). Quick on/off kydex beats cordura all-day long...

VolGrad
11-07-2011, 03:04 PM
I wish all kydex holster makers would conduct themselves with the same dignity and respect toward their peers (read competitors) as the quality leather makers do. From what little exposure to the firearms industry I've had this seems to be the most hostile segment.

orionz06
11-07-2011, 03:19 PM
I wish all kydex holster makers would conduct themselves with the same dignity and respect toward their peers (read competitors) as the quality leather makers do. From what little exposure to the firearms industry I've had this seems to be the most hostile segment.

I think that is more consumer (fanboi) driven than anything. I also understand the leather makers to have had their feuds as well.

VolGrad
11-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I think that is more consumer (fanboi) driven than anything.

I agree with this statement to a point. I do feel that fire is fueled heavily by some in the industry though. I've seen some of this firsthand and no, I won't provide details.