PDA

View Full Version : G17 MOS questions

part-time shooter
07-09-2016, 08:45 PM
I just picked up a G17 MOS and a RMR06 is now on the way from Amazon. The 06 was a no brainer once I read through the forum here, this is still the best forum on the web for good information.

I had no idea Glock had released these, work has been a 24/7 issue for the last 18 months so I was completely surprised to see it had been released.

I want to carry it once I make sure it's doesn't have issues, 40something eyes are becoming more of an issue.

Are there any iron sites I can get for it? I've googled it to death and I'm not finding anything. The rear dovetail on the MOS is farther back so "normal" Glock sites don't seem to fit the bill. I'd also like to shoot it at a local match or 2 but I don't want to screw with the trigger much, but it's not the greatest Glock trigger I've ever felt. Are there any quick and easy fixes for this? lighter and smoother, preferably with factory parts. Several hundred more rounds may fix it as well. I'm not a Glock guy, I carry a G26 extensively but it's totally stock and lives in my briefcase so I've not done the hours of research I need to see what works and what someone's just trying to sell me. Many of you guys already have so I'm leaning on your opinions instead of blowing lots of time I don't have and money on crap that doesn't work.

One last question, I know there was a post on Glocks and low/left groups, especially for shooters used to other pistols. I've searched for it but can't find it, I wanted to see if there's something there that might speed me towards getting a better mastery of the Glock trigger instead of the low/left I'm seeing with it now. My 320c and 228 don't have the issue so I know it's me not being familiar enough with it, dry fire hasn't fixed the issue although it has shown me I have a tiny stutter when the trigger breaks that I don't have with other pistols. Anyone else suffer this and found a cure?

Thanks in advance!

StraitR
07-09-2016, 09:16 PM
I have a 19MOS. I tried the Dawson set specifically made for MOS Glocks + RMR and found them too tall. Pic and my thoughts can be found HERE (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19779-Glock-17-vs-19-MOS&p=445845&viewfull=1#post445845). They were very square, and tall (basically absolute co-witness). They blocked too much of an already small window on the RMR. I bought a set of Ameriglo's (GL-329 I think) and like them much better. Tapered to the top and more lower 1/3rd co-witness. Also about 30% cheaper. I don't have any pics, but there are some a few posts down from mine in the thread I linked above.

Paul D
07-09-2016, 11:11 PM
I have a 19MOS. I tried the Dawson set specifically made for MOS Glocks + RMR and found them too tall. Pic and my thoughts can be found HERE (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19779-Glock-17-vs-19-MOS&p=445845&viewfull=1#post445845). They were very square, and tall (basically absolute co-witness). They blocked too much of an already small window on the RMR. I bought a set of Ameriglo's (GL-329 I think) and like them much better. Tapered to the top and more lower 1/3rd co-witness. Also about 30% cheaper. I don't have any pics, but there are some a few posts down from mine in the thread I linked above.

I bought StraitR's Dawson sights from him and I can vouch that they are tall and can cowitness the dot. However, I couldn't see the Ameriglo sights that he likes but I was using a Vortex Venom which is slightly taller than the RMR06.

part-time shooter
07-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys

The Ameriglo's look like they might suit what I'm looking for. Time to give Amazon more money.

JSGlock34
07-10-2016, 01:07 PM
I want to carry it once I make sure it's doesn't have issues, 40something eyes are becoming more of an issue.

I'm not particularly enamored of the G17MOS for carry. I think it is a great gateway gun for pistol optics and lots of fun for the range. However, the adapter plate is less than ideal. I've had the optic come loose from the adapter plate and the adapter plate come loose from the slide. Loctite is your friend.

Are there any iron sites I can get for it? I've googled it to death and I'm not finding anything. The rear dovetail on the MOS is farther back so "normal" Glock sites don't seem to fit the bill.

It isn't that the rear dovetail is 'farther back' - the issue is that the adapter plate raises the optic so high that even most 'suppressor height' sights fail to clear the optic. There are some manufacturers coming out with 'MOS height' sights, but I found the Ameriglo was a good enough solution. The sights were still partially obscured by the optic, but not so much that they couldn't serve their BUIS role effectively.

I'd also like to shoot it at a local match or 2 but I don't want to screw with the trigger much, but it's not the greatest Glock trigger I've ever felt. Are there any quick and easy fixes for this? lighter and smoother, preferably with factory parts.

There are tons of options for the factory Glock trigger. However, they require detail stripping the pistol, and not everyone is comfortable (or qualified) to do that. Probably the easiest thing to do is swap a different connector, such as the Glock OEM '-' connector. Glocks can also benefit from some judicious hand polishing of trigger components (though this is a place where the inexperienced can get into trouble, particularly when they reach for the dremel). Here's a good article on working with Glock factory parts to improve trigger pull (I believe the author is a Magpul Core Instructor). Gear Scout: Make Your Stock Glock Rock
(http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/gearscout/2012/01/01/glock-setup-tips/32154307/)

One last question, I know there was a post on Glocks and low/left groups, especially for shooters used to other pistols. I've searched for it but can't find it, I wanted to see if there's something there that might speed me towards getting a better mastery of the Glock trigger instead of the low/left I'm seeing with it now.

Hard to suggest a remedy without direct observation. I'm inclined to recommend the approved default pistol-forum.com response of consulting a trainer. Here's a few threads on the subject.

More Trigger Finger, Really? (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18489-More-Trigger-Finger-Really)

Do Glock pistols shoot left, and if so, why? (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16356-Do-Glock-pistols-shoot-left-and-if-so-why)

part-time shooter
07-11-2016, 11:45 AM
Thanks JS!

Those are the posts I was looking for.

I'm going to start with a - connector and a 25 cent trigger job and go from there. That and 500 rounds should shake out any issues I come across.

I agree with you that the 17 isn't the best carry option, I'd have preferred a 19 and from what I've now read it appears the 19 is better suited for the optic and dot tracking. The 17 will do to learn proper presentation and dot alignment from the draw and it should still be a fun range/training/field gun. I think most of the issues with current MRDS will be addressed in the next year or so as Trijicon, Leupold, and Vortex redesign their optics to better fit the MOS, CORE, and maybe RX guns coming out now. I'm hoping by the time there is a real solution that I'll have mastered the red dot and just be able to move to a new optic on a 19 or 320c for carry or maybe even a 26 if a MOS version is released.

Thanks again.

45dotACP
07-11-2016, 02:10 PM
I'd advise heavily against the 25 cent trigger jobs...

I did one or two of them and I'll tell you now...a new trigger bar and connector costs more than 25 cents...and it's exceptionally easy to ruin one, even with some silver polish and a dremel buffing wheel.

Just put four or five thousand rounds down range and it'll be fine.

StraitR
07-11-2016, 02:22 PM
The problem with 25 cent trigger jobs is not actually the 25 cent trigger job itself, rather the impatient people who won't take the time to do it right (aka without a power tool). It's a 25 cent trigger job, not a 25 second trigger job.

Dremels, the bestest worstest thing to ever happen to home gunsmithing.

HTM
07-12-2016, 12:35 PM
The best solution ideally is to mill the side for your specific optic. The MOS is a good one size fits most solution otherwise. In my experience the Trijicons are the least reliable when attached to a pistol. The Leupold, Vortex, and the UK made Shield hold up pretty well. I witnessed a G40 kill two RMR06's in less than one mag last summer.

JHC
07-12-2016, 04:59 PM
The best solution ideally is to mill the side for your specific optic. The MOS is a good one size fits most solution otherwise. In my experience the Trijicons are the least reliable when attached to a pistol. The Leupold, Vortex, and the UK made Shield hold up pretty well. I witnessed a G40 kill two RMR06's in less than one mag last summer.

A Glock tech told me no optic tested survived 2K rds in the G40.

HTM
07-12-2016, 05:11 PM
Of course they would know more than me. I don't work there. I don't have that kind of ammo to burn to do their testing.

Trijicon is great in rifles. I wouldn't mount one on a pistol is all. I'd go leupold.

Sent from Tapatalk

StraitR
07-12-2016, 06:23 PM
That's interesting. Last I heard (read), Doc was still recommending the Trijicon offerings unless I've missed something in one of our various pistol/mrds threads.

OnionsAndDragons
07-13-2016, 01:19 PM
From what I've read and researched, which is most everything I can find; both the Trijicon and Leupold offerings hold up to 9mm pistol abuse very well. I've seen plenty of reports regarding both companies MRDS failing under volume 40s&w fire. It looks like 45acp isn't excessively rough on them, either, but there are far fewer reports to sample on that one.

DocGKR has been involved with institutional level testing and still recommends Trijicon. That means something to me. He's also noted that there are still issues that happen with individual optics, just that Trij RMRs seem to be best overall.

On the trigger job, if you do it by hand with cloth and/or swabs you should be just fine. Most people get way to unintentionally aggressive with the Dremel. It's easy to do.

If you are not carrying the gun on body, is there a compelling reason not to run an Aimpoint micro?

GJM
07-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Of course they would know more than me. I don't work there. I don't have that kind of ammo to burn to do their testing.

Trijicon is great in rifles. I wouldn't mount one on a pistol is all. I'd go leupold.

Sent from Tapatalk

DP Pro on a carry gun -- if so, how do you handle BUIS and the poor battery life?

HTM
07-13-2016, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't use any RDS on a carry gun. But that's just me.

Sent from Tapatalk

StraitR
07-14-2016, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't use any RDS on a carry gun. But that's just me.

Sent from Tapatalk

What RDS are you using on a training or competition gun?

HTM
07-14-2016, 05:53 PM
I don't. I've just done a lot of testing with them. I'm much faster with irons. That said, I definitely see the value out at greater distances where precision matters.

On a hunting pistol I definitely like them. I've shot some very good groups at 100yds with the G40 with the delta point using underwood and buffalo bore ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GJM
07-14-2016, 08:13 PM
I don't. I've just done a lot of testing with them. I'm much faster with irons. That said, I definitely see the value out at greater distances where precision matters.

On a hunting pistol I definitely like them. I've shot some very good groups at 100yds with the G40 with the delta point using underwood and buffalo bore ammo.

Which loads and how did it function in the model 40?

HTM
07-15-2016, 09:36 PM
220gr hard cast both underwood and buffalo bore. Smokey as hell. Trying to kill optics.

John91
02-05-2017, 08:55 AM
I've currently have a glock 19 and a Rmr 06. I am trying to decide between picking up a separate glock 19 mos or a unity tactical ATOM slide for my current 19. I have done a lot of research but have not been able to find out if the ATOM slide with its adapter plates leaves the Rmr as high as an MOS or if it sits it lower in the slide like a milled slide. I'd like to go with one of those options so that I can change out optics as better options become available in the future.

If anyone is able to answer that it would be a big help. Also any other input comparing the two options would be appreciated. I am a long time reader, first time poster. Thanks

John91
02-05-2017, 09:04 AM
This is the glock 19 I'd like to put the Rmr on. Boresight solutions did the work.

fishing
02-05-2017, 10:52 AM
I've currently have a glock 19 and a Rmr 06. I am trying to decide between picking up a separate glock 19 mos or a unity tactical ATOM slide for my current 19. I have done a lot of research but have not been able to find out if the ATOM slide with its adapter plates leaves the Rmr as high as an MOS or if it sits it lower in the slide like a milled slide. I'd like to go with one of those options so that I can change out optics as better options become available in the future.

If anyone is able to answer that it would be a big help. Also any other input comparing the two options would be appreciated. I am a long time reader, first time poster. Thanks

negligible difference in rmr height between atom and mos - i will have to take a measurement later today if you want, but the atom may even be a smidge higher.

if going mos - be sure to pick up the proper mounting screws as well as sealing plate.

instead of buying a separate glock mos - see if you have a buddy who wants a G19 and is sure they will not be adding a MRDS - see if they would be open to swapping slides. serial #s wont match but oh well.

John91
02-06-2017, 09:05 AM
Thank you fishing for your help