PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my Ruger P91DC

Lmobeats
07-09-2016, 08:20 PM
So I just purchased a Ruger P91DC 40 Cal and it has the decocker on it. The problem I'm having is that after every shot my hammer goes back and I have to press the decocker lever again to be able to fire another round. It doesn't do this while I'm dry firing, I can pull the trigger as many times back to back like I'm supposed to. But with live ammo I will shoot one round then have to decock it again before I shoot again. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I am pretty new to pistols so I don't even know where to begin looking for issues. Hope to hear back from y'all. Thanks in advance!

Kyle Reese
07-09-2016, 08:31 PM
That doesn't sound right at all. Contact Ruger customer service and have them sort it out.

Lmobeats
07-09-2016, 08:44 PM
I have I'm waiting on a reply I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone had any ideas on what it may be until I get a response from them. Of course it's a used gun and about 23 years old but I've heard so many good things about the gun and that's one of the reasons I bought it so idk

Handy
07-09-2016, 09:33 PM
I have I'm waiting on a reply I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone had any ideas on what it may be until I get a response from them. Of course it's a used gun and about 23 years old but I've heard so many good things about the gun and that's one of the reasons I bought it so idk

Reading your first post, I'm not sure I understand the problem, exactly. Pardon me if any of this insults your intelligence:

When you dry fire, every trigger pull is a long "double action" that cocks and releases the hammer. This happens when you dry fire because the slide doesn't move.

When you fire live ammo the slide cycles, which cocks the hammer and leaves it cocked, and the slide also pushes the disconnector which separates the trigger bar from the sear, which is what keeps the hammer cocked. To fire again you release the trigger a short distance, there is small click when the trigger bar reconnects with the sear, and you should be able to pull the trigger a short distance to release the hammer and fire.

So when you say that the hammer goes back but it won't fire, what is NOT happening? Does the trigger a) not move forward at all when you take you finger off of it, b) does it move forward and not click to reset, or c) does it go all the way forward but has no tension?

Depending on your answer I can imagine one of several problems - but some of them could be caused by gunk and solved with solvent. Others may simply be a spring that is out of place. Others are just plain broken parts.

Lmobeats
07-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Ok so usually with a semi auto pistol you just pull the trigger, fire, pull trigger, fire. Mine is when I pull trigger, it fires, and instead of the hammer going back into place it just stays back and I have to press the decock lever again to allow the hammer to get into position to fire. For instance it's like the "safety" comes on after every fire and I have to manually press the decock lever after each shot in order to fire again. So I can pull the trigger maybe halfway back. Because with this gun when the hammer is pulled back you can't fire until you press that lever. Sometimes it will let me fire semi auto like normal but 95% of the time I am having to manually press that lever to get the hammer back in place After each shot

johnson
07-09-2016, 10:56 PM
To add to Handy's post, the hammer is supposed to stay back (cocked) when you fire a live round since it is a Double Action/Single Action (DA/SA) design. With the pistol unloaded, can you manually cock the hammer back and pull the trigger?

Here's the manual for your Ruger. Page 5 and 6 talks about the decocking lever. Did you notice if the position of the lever changed to anything other than "fire" (parallel to the bore) while you were shooting?

http://stevespages.com/pdf/ruger_p89-p944_decocker.pdf

JTQ
07-10-2016, 07:12 AM
Here's a National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) video that may be helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONLWsmW14Mg

You have a DA/SA gun like the SIG P226 in the video.

Kyle Reese
07-10-2016, 08:28 AM
I'd read and misinterpreted what the OP had posted, having HK hammer follow on the brain. Mea culpa.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Handy
07-10-2016, 05:30 PM
Lmo,

You didn't really answer my question about your trigger, but if the gun is actually malfunctioning and not just misunderstood, I think the problem is the disconnector.

On the left side there is a cut out under the decocker where a little silver piece moves back and forth when you pull the trigger. That's the top of the trigger bar and it also moves up and down to act as the disconnector. When the slide goes back and that window moves with it, it forces the trigger bar down and out of contact with the sear. I think your problem may be that the spring the is supposed to push is back up isn't doing its job.

With an empty gun, dry fire and keep the trigger held full back. With your other hand, pull the slide back, then let it go back full forward - keep the trigger pulled the whole time. The little trigger bar in the window under the decocker should now be pushed down level with the bottom of the window.

Now, release the trigger. If everything is working right the trigger will moved forward a small distance and the trigger bar should pop up back into the window. Does it pop up?