PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1911 Loaded Marine Corps Operator (2016 model)???

navyman8903
07-09-2016, 01:20 PM
Man that's a mouthful. Anyway, I held one at my LGS. I didn't have a 1911 on my immediate radar until now. I have two rifles to pick up here soon which will cost me a pretty penny. (MR762A1 and SCAR17s) I definitely don't need $1200 added on my tab, but I can't stop thinking about it. What they did with the grips, and front strap is perfect. Only thing I'd do is add a few wilson parts, wilson 8 rounders, Trij HD's, and a Light. It seems good to go to me. I've also got a Wilson 92G and Sig P226 Legion on the list. Does anyone own one of these?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-loaded-45-acp/

Also, I compared it to the Colt they had there, and I wasn't impressed with it. It was the $1600 MCP (gen2 I guess, not the initial release, the darker one). Felt good in hand, barrel and slid fit seemed to bind at the beginning and end of the barrel hood. I'm sure that would wear in. And like every other colt on the planet I've touched, you had to hit the mag button when inserting a mag or it would bind half way up. But no so on the springfield. Only thing I had bad to say about it was how springfield chose to step the barrel for the match fitment. Seemed a little more crude. But honestly, I only want 1 or 2 1911's in the stable, and with the potential political climate, I don't want to pay out the ass for rifles, because I bought a pistol I can get after words.......But she did fit me perfectly. Not since I put the HK45 or VP9 in my hands has a pistol felt like it belonged.

Robinson
07-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Man that's a mouthful. Anyway, I held one at my LGS. I didn't have a 1911 on my immediate radar until now. I have two rifles to pick up here soon which will cost me a pretty penny. (MR762A1 and SCAR17s) I definitely don't need $1200 added on my tab, but I can't stop thinking about it. What they did with the grips, and front strap is perfect. Only thing I'd do is add a few wilson parts, wilson 8 rounders, Trij HD's, and a Light. It seems good to go to me. I've also got a Wilson 92G and Sig P226 Legion on the list. Does anyone own one of these?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-loaded-45-acp/

Also, I compared it to the Colt they had there, and I wasn't impressed with it. It was the $1600 MCP (gen2 I guess, not the initial release, the darker one). Felt good in hand, barrel and slid fit seemed to bind at the beginning and end of the barrel hood. I'm sure that would wear in. And like every other colt on the planet I've touched, you had to hit the mag button when inserting a mag or it would bind half way up. But no so on the springfield. Only thing I had bad to say about it was how springfield chose to step the barrel for the match fitment. Seemed a little more crude. But honestly, I only want 1 or 2 1911's in the stable, and with the potential political climate, I don't want to pay out the ass for rifles, because I bought a pistol I can get after words.......But she did fit me perfectly. Not since I put the HK45 or VP9 in my hands has a pistol felt like it belonged.

I think the Springfield MCO is a good pistol for the money. I would also compare it to the new Colt Combat Unit pistol as a competitive product. None of my Colts have the problem you described with the magazine binding halfway in.

Jay585
07-09-2016, 01:40 PM
None of my Colts have the problem you described with the magazine binding halfway in.

Same here. I've owned 2 Colts, an early model XS with >2000 rounds fired, and a Colt Lightweight XSE with less than 500 rounds.

Trukinjp13
07-09-2016, 02:29 PM
The new colt is nice. The undercut and checkering is a sweet addition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45dotACP
07-09-2016, 03:52 PM
I think the Springfield MCO is a good pistol for the money. I would also compare it to the new Colt Combat Unit pistol as a competitive product. None of my Colts have the problem you described with the magazine binding halfway in.
You gotta really smack the mags on a colt...or just relieve the catch some.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

LockedBreech
07-09-2016, 06:09 PM

+1. I learned this to the point of thinking my O1091 was broken, then shamefully looking at my pointless thread about it after a moderate smack on the baseplate fixed the issue completely.

Trooper224
07-09-2016, 06:45 PM
Uh oh, a 1911 question. The lectures from the P-F Hive Mind will shortly commence.

navyman8903
07-09-2016, 06:57 PM
Uh oh, a 1911 question. The lectures from the P-F Hive Mind will shortly commence.

Well I made a quick statement comparing it to a colt, and now that's all that's being discussed....

As many know I've got a stable full of other pistols, HK's, Sigs, Beretta's and Glocks. I was thinking of adding one mid range 1911. This one jumped out at me, and I'm impressed with the quality so far. I'm really thinking of getting it.

The Apprentice
07-09-2016, 07:00 PM

45dotACP
07-09-2016, 07:39 PM
I would also consider one of the Range Officer Operators...though the price difference is not that great.

Robinson
07-09-2016, 09:56 PM

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Matt O
07-09-2016, 09:58 PM

Thankfully a couple quick swipes with a file takes care of the issue entirely.

Robinson
07-09-2016, 09:59 PM
Well I made a quick statement comparing it to a colt, and now that's all that's being discussed....

As many know I've got a stable full of other pistols, HK's, Sigs, Beretta's and Glocks. I was thinking of adding one mid range 1911. This one jumped out at me, and I'm impressed with the quality so far. I'm really thinking of getting it.

If you like it, go for it. I've owned three Springfield Armory 1911s and they all worked. It's not really strange to see Colts being mentioned since several members here seem to like them. But nobody is telling you the MCO sucks and get the Colt instead.

navyman8903
07-10-2016, 01:02 AM
If you like it, go for it. I've owned three Springfield Armory 1911s and they all worked. It's not really strange to see Colts being mentioned since several members here seem to like them. But nobody is telling you the MCO sucks and get the Colt instead.

I think that's the ticket. If I pick it up, I'll let you guys know. I'll run it stock for about 500-1000 rounds then start adding wilson parts.

ReverendMeat
07-10-2016, 03:01 AM
I'll run it stock for about 500-1000 rounds then start adding wilson parts.

why

Sawyer
07-10-2016, 03:59 AM
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I know exactly what he means, I suspect most people do. To the Op, I have an LBO, basically the same gun but all black and with no front strap treatment. It's been perfect in the first couple thousand rounds. No failures of any kind. Passed the extractor test with ease. I run it with the two stock Mecgar 8 rounders and with Wilson ETM HD's. Carry ammo is Federal 230 grain HST and practice ammo is American Eagle 230 grain FMJ. This was a big relief to me as the last couple new guns I had purchased were the Gen 4 G17 and Gen 4 G19. I did not experience the same level of reliability and problem free function with either of them. This gun has been a very pleasant experience. How agressive is the front strap treatment on the MCOP? how would it compare to 30lpi for example? How much better then smooth?

navyman8903
07-10-2016, 09:37 AM
I know exactly what he means, I suspect most people do. To the Op, I have an LBO, basically the same gun but all black and with no front strap treatment. It's been perfect in the first couple thousand rounds. No failures of any kind. Passed the extractor test with ease. I run it with the two stock Mecgar 8 rounders and with Wilson ETM HD's. Carry ammo is Federal 230 grain HST and practice ammo is American Eagle 230 grain FMJ. This was a big relief to me as the last couple new guns I had purchased were the Gen 4 G17 and Gen 4 G19. I did not experience the same level of reliability and problem free function with either of them. This gun has been a very pleasant experience. How agressive is the front strap treatment on the MCOP? how would it compare to 30lpi for example? How much better then smooth?

The front strap is better than smooth, but not as aggressive as front strap checkering. It feels like a compromise honestly, but it is well done, and not cheap feeling. It's very comfortable and does increase the traction. It felt locked in when I held it. I don't change much once I get it. Just the sights to HD's, wilson combat magwell, flat spring and guide rod.

I picked up a Gen4 glock as well, the trigger was 7 lbs and it ejects like someone let a fire hose go in the street. I did a quick trigger job on it and the trigger is way better now.

Robinson
07-10-2016, 10:26 AM
I know exactly what he means, I suspect most people do.

What, the 'hive mind' is going to dive on this guy telling him any 1911 but a Colt sucks? Or maybe 1911s all suck in general so get a Glock instead? I haven't seen that attitude coming from any forum members I would listen to. There have been several threads in the past months talking about Colts, that's true. And people have also discussed the pros and cons of 1911s compared to other types. I think that's a good thing. But I don't get the 'hive mind' reference or see how the post added to the discussion.

Mark
07-10-2016, 01:48 PM
What, the 'hive mind' is going to dive on this guy telling him any 1911 but a Colt sucks? Or maybe 1911s all suck in general so get a Glock instead? I haven't seen that attitude coming from any forum members I would listen to. There have been several threads in the past months talking about Colts, that's true. And people have also discussed the pros and cons of 1911s compared to other types. I think that's a good thing. But I don't get the 'hive mind' reference or see how the post added to the discussion.

So far in this thread it hasn't really been there but the people who usually start it haven't commented. It's not that their bad, it's just that they get a pack mentality and pile on to anyone who doesn't subscribe to their orthodoxy and the 1911 is a typical target subject. At the same time they also have useful info about some things so you just have to let some stuff go. M4carbine has the same problem. It's like the same group of people just with different names. But again they have good info there also. Heck why do you think the two groups split? They did it to each other. Too bad also because both sights have some solid info that you can learn from and it'd be easier in one location. 10-8 forums did the same thing only more controlled and that control lead to a stagnation and ultimate death of the forum. Even modern service weapons. Two very knowledgeable guys but it ends up being a one a month post about a car locker. Too bad too because those guys have crazy mad knowledge.

Tango
07-10-2016, 01:54 PM
As Lightfighter member BasicLoad said a while back:

"I retract everything that I ever said about Glocks being as good as 1911's. If you can make one work...... ROLL THAT SHIT.

For the last six years I have tried to make myself like that pistol, and I can shoot the shit out of it, however I just got another 2011 and have dry fired it for the last 18 hours...... It's like being a drug addict, 6 YEARS avoiding my addiction is ruined by one day of having a man gun in my hands. Gay dudes get married everyday to hide their lifestyle and I won't do it anymore.... when I get to a point in my life that I can choose what I carry and maintain it.... I will keep a 1911 on my hip until I die."

LittleLebowski
07-10-2016, 02:58 PM

The same forum that loved ToddG's 1911 testing? I can't stand wide sweeping generalizations.

LockedBreech
07-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Robinson
07-10-2016, 04:27 PM
I've been a member for a while now and I've been open about the fact I am a 1911 user. I haven't seen anti-1911 bias from the people on the forum that I take seriously. There have been anti-1911 comments here and there, that's true -- but most of those can be dismissed. If anything, I think there is an anti-fanboyism sentiment, along with the sentiment that guns should be evaluated based on facts and not emotions. Then we make choices about what guns to depend on based on our personal priorities and preferences. As it should be.

45dotACP
07-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

The irony of that phrase seems lost on far too many people...

Jeep
07-11-2016, 10:42 AM
The irony of that phrase seems lost on far too many people...

I always wondered if it was lost on the screen writers as well. It seemed to me that they were eager to make a domestic political point attacking GWB and lost the internal contradiction in the statement. Of course, it was a pretty incoherent movie overall.

HCM
07-11-2016, 12:05 PM
So, getting back to guns, I have a SA MCO I purchased in 2007. Round count is between 3-4K. The gun has been excellent. Accurate and reliable, zero malfunctions.

The only changes have been a set of VZ grips and some skateboard tape on the front strap as they did not come with texturing at that time.

45dotACP
07-11-2016, 02:08 PM
It's either a great time to be an enthusiast of the 1911, or a bad time...because between Colt and Springfield some of the best entry level 1911's are on the market at some pretty competitive prices...and that means you'll be able to buy lots of 1911s...but also that you'll buy lots of 1911s...which are expensive.

These new Springfields and Colts have been catching my eye.

Jeep
07-13-2016, 01:03 PM
It's either a great time to be an enthusiast of the 1911, or a bad time...because between Colt and Springfield some of the best entry level 1911's are on the market at some pretty competitive prices...and that means you'll be able to buy lots of 1911s...but also that you'll buy lots of 1911s...which are expensive.

These new Springfields and Colts have been catching my eye.

The time to buy is now. Those prices will be going up.