PDA

View Full Version : A Change of Topic- Mt Everest.

GardoneVT
07-09-2016, 02:35 AM
While there is much evil and villainy about the world this week,we still have a weekend to finish.

As such I leave you with this video of a very brave climber. Should I ever have the need to ascend Mt Everest, this is the route I'll NOT be using.

http://youtu.be/lZkvw1CY13Q

SamAdams
07-09-2016, 03:05 AM
Thanks for posting that GardoneVT. In a week when we've been faced with some of the worst qualities in humanity, its good to be reminded of the best in man.

A couple of years ago, I took a course in wilderness medicine. One of the other attendees was a senior sherpa who worked on Mt. Everest. . .He was a short, stocky guy. Built like a tank. Had a very calm manner and a ready smile. He didn't have the look of what the movies depict as 'heroic'. But, if you got in trouble on a mountain or out in the boonies, you'd want that guy with you.

45dotACP
07-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Very cool...as tempting as it sometimes may become to join #teamwtwb I find that I'm often surprised by the good parts of human endeavors as well...for instance, the 500kg deadlift has been performed recently....like holy shit.

Yes, the world can sometimes get really shitty, but there are often many more good people out there than bad...more good cops than evil, more law abiding citizens than criminals and for now at least, we remain a nation that has more individual freedom than most any other.

I carry a gun, I exercise, I learn self defense, I know first aid because these things are things I use to enrich, prolong, and secure the lives of my loved ones and myself in an emergency...not because I bitterly wait for the world to shit on me so I can finally say I was right, but because these are prudent precautions.

Then again, I guess I'm one of those idiots that thinks people are mostly good. ;)

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Welder
07-11-2016, 11:17 AM
A guy I met on the AT near Sugarloaf Mtn in Maine was heading to Everest next. I love the outdoors possibly as much as anyone alive, but y'all can have the cold stuff.

ACP230
07-12-2016, 11:46 AM
I've known a couple of folks who climbed Kilimanjaro.
But no one, so far, who lost anything on that really big, really cold hill.

Irelander
07-12-2016, 12:52 PM
My wife and I have been on an Everest kick lately. Not climbing but learning about the mountain and the well known climbers who have climbed it several times.

Ed Veisturs and the late Anatoli Boukreev trained their whole lives for climbing Everest and have done it several times without O2. Pretty amazing. We just watched the documentary Everest - The Death Zone. Very interesting to see the physiological differences in high altitude climbers.

The ice fall is no joke. Not long ago a bunch of sherpas died when a crevass opened up under their feet as they were repairing lines. Very tragic for the whole sherpa community.