PDA

View Full Version : Do any of y'all use a .22 Conversion on your carry gun?

coldcase1984
07-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Now that .22 LR is showing up again (have gotten close to 2000 rounds of Fed Automatch at local Wally World in 325 rd boxes (3 box limit) in last month; thinking about getting a conversion kit for my old work P229 .40.

So wondering how those of you using a conversion unit value these as a training aid & fun plinking toy?

It'd do dual duty as a pest remover if I can find one with a threaded barrel...

Irelander
07-07-2016, 03:31 PM
The only issue I have with 22 conversions on carry guns is that 22LR is very dirty and with a lot of plinking will gunk up a gun pretty quick. I would make sure to clean the frame very well after a good session of 22 ammo were run through it before I would use it in a CCW role.

Nephrology
07-07-2016, 03:39 PM
I used to have a .22LR kit for my (definitely not carry) 1911. It was fun and stupid accurate, but i ended up selling it. wasnt nearly as reliable as my Ruger 22/45 and didn't do much better. I have also toyed with the idea of getting an AA kit for my Glock, but after my experience with the 1911 kit I don't think I'll ever get one. I'd rather simply dry fire more and then focus on all of the fundamentals of marksmanship with full power 9mm. .22 sort of splits the difference but not in a way that I ultimately found was worth while.

taadski
07-07-2016, 04:14 PM
I used to have a .22LR kit for my (definitely not carry) 1911. It was fun and stupid accurate, but i ended up selling it. wasnt nearly as reliable as my Ruger 22/45 and didn't do much better. I have also toyed with the idea of getting an AA kit for my Glock, but after my experience with the 1911 kit I don't think I'll ever get one. I'd rather simply dry fire more and then focus on all of the fundamentals of marksmanship with full power 9mm. .22 sort of splits the difference but not in a way that I ultimately found was worth while.

That's similar to how I feel. Especially the DF part.

I shoot Sigs predominantly for work and carry and I have a .22 conversion kit for them. While I really like the identical ergos, I've grown away from using it regularly and rely on dryfire instead for the sort of regular training I'd be doing with the .22 kit. It benefits me more.

I've found that I prefer using a 22/45 instead for plinking, suppressed shooting and pure accuracy work. That or a .22 revolver. They're simply better mousetraps IMO. [snob on] And they don't leave that shitty Umarex type tin taste in my mouth afterward. [snob off]. :p

UNK
07-07-2016, 04:24 PM
Right now Sig is having a 30% off sale on .22 conversions.

Now that .22 LR is showing up again (have gotten close to 2000 rounds of Fed Automatch at local Wally World in 325 rd boxes (3 box limit) in last month; thinking about getting a conversion kit for my old work P229 .40.

So wondering how those of you using a conversion unit value these as a training aid & fun plinking toy?

It'd do dual duty as a pest remover if I can find one with a threaded barrel...

JonInWA
07-07-2016, 05:41 PM
I thought of it, and then realized that I'd need conversions for my Beretta 92, 1911, Glock, Hi Power....you get the picture. Much more expedient for me was to find a platform that would serve as somewhat of an analog for differing platforms.

I ended up with a Ruger 22/45 with a 4.5" slab barrel, and a Pierce Grip rubber fingergroove frontstrap. It has served quite well for its purposes-and is a nice gun in its own right.

Best, Jon

43Under
07-07-2016, 06:41 PM
I have the AA conversion for my 19. These days I mostly use it if I take new/novice shooters to the range as a warm-up to the main event, so to speak. It runs best on the higher velocity stuff that's still pretty hard to find.

SeriousStudent
07-07-2016, 06:52 PM
I have an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit, but picked up a used G19 frame to mount it on. That way I never have to alter my carry piece.

I use a SIRT a lot for daily dry practice, but like to use the AA kit for magazine change practice during live fire. I can practice mag changes with the SIRT, but there is no slide lock to release. So it's not as valuable, in my very humble opinion.

I also have a threaded barrel, so I can attach a suppressor. Assuming they ever get out of NFA jail - sigh.

coldcase1984
07-11-2016, 12:01 AM
I preach dry fire at every in-service and have emailed the 10-8 DF target to all 500-odd employees twice and received 1 Thanks from a reserve officer.

I'm thinking about getting Both a SIG & Glock conversion for gets & shiggles, if only to have an audible timer feed back on speed draws. Dry I'm well under 1 second, wanna see if that translates to good hits on steel with relatively cheap rimfire. I just paid .3 cents per shot for near 1,000 Fed Auto Match .22 this weekend.

UNK
07-11-2016, 05:24 AM
Where did you get that deal? .03c per round?

I preach dry fire at every in-service and have emailed the 10-8 DF target to all 500-odd employees twice and received 1 Thanks from a reserve officer.

I'm thinking about getting Both a SIG & Glock conversion for gets & shiggles, if only to have an audible timer feed back on speed draws. Dry I'm well under 1 second, wanna see if that translates to good hits on steel with relatively cheap rimfire. I just paid .3 cents per shot for near 1,000 Fed Auto Match .22 this weekend.

Tamara
07-11-2016, 05:30 AM
When I carried 1911s, I wound up replacing the Ceiner conversion slide with a Ruger 22/45, and when I switched to M&P9's, I got an M&P22. I'll be picking up a rimfire Glock slide, but it will probably wind up living on my Glock 32 frame rather than being swapped on and off my carry G19. Generally, I shoot my carry gun in classes and matches and other than that, I'll dump the mag for fresh rounds if it doesn't get shot in a couple months. I try and minimize the administrative loading and unloading with it.

farscott
07-11-2016, 05:46 AM
As a .22 fanatic, I have tried more .22 conversions that I care to admit, including ones for Beretta, Glock, CZ, and 1911 (several) pistols. My conclusion is that I am better served with a Ruger Standard or Mark II for working on sight picture and trigger control. That being said, the CZ 75 Kadet conversion is the best one I ever used, and the only one I sometimes I wish I never sent down the road.

The issues with the other conversions are reliability and how they change the gun's balance (with the exception of the CZ Kadet). The trigger is the same, but the gun feels different from the holster as the top end is much lighter.

Malamute
07-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Ive used the factory Colt 22 conversion unit on a couple different 1911s. Mine ran great, and was very accurate on the National match frame. 6" @ 100 yards off the hood of the truck. If I hadn't carried or shot the 1911 much recently, Id run a brick or two of 22s through it and it helped get tuned up. I liked the 22 kit quite a lot.

coldcase1984
07-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Where did you get that deal? .03c per round?
Just did the math on a calculator and it was actually right at 2 cents a round. Got it at my nearby 3rd World Wally World for $17.49 add egregious sales tax and it was $19.69 for ea. Box.

Got a SIG P229 .22 in my cart. Torn between that and mailing a deadline Form 1 for my old narc unit 870 tomorrow. Brinksmanship is a hoot.:rolleyes:

I had a Cadet unit that ran like a sewing machine on my Daddy's .40 CZ and did a story for Harris Pubs on it. Decided not to buy it for Dad because he didn't dig it that much.

Dad passed four years ago and now the 75B is mine. Would rather have him back, but may get a Cadet...