PDA

View Full Version : Colt Detective Special

Trooper224
07-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Today, I walked into my local gun shop for a bottle of oil. I happened to glance over at the used gun case as I stepped through the door and there it was. Mrs. Awesome being, well, awesome, insisted that I buy it. Being the compliant husband that I am, I did not protest. Just a bit of holster wear but otherwise excellent and manufactured in 1973. Judging from the complete lack of internal wear and lack of markings on the cylinder face, recoil shield, no turn ring and pristine chambers it appears to be unfired. You can't be a lover of wheel guns as well as a child of the 20th century and not have a soft spot in your heart for the Dick Special. Check this one off the list.
http://m3.i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/163625953.kPbKZ7cH.jpg
http://m4.i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/163625954.BcENtd4R.jpg
http://m5.i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/163625955.jVXqHsAr.jpg

UNK
07-06-2016, 09:35 PM
So nice. Really awesome. I love that Pony.

serialsolver
07-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Nice, very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
07-06-2016, 09:52 PM
That is a very good looking revolver. Great find.

SeriousStudent
07-06-2016, 10:02 PM
Very nice. May it bring you many years of enjoyment.

GOTURBACK
07-06-2016, 10:28 PM
Man I just missed getting one two days ago it was 99% vgc looked just like the one in your picture it sold for $675 I wanted it bad.

BillSWPA
07-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Nice find!

Greg
07-06-2016, 10:50 PM
Hubba hubba!!!

That is "the" snubnose to my eyes. Congrats!

SecondsCount
07-07-2016, 12:19 AM
Sweet!

Hambo
07-07-2016, 07:34 AM
OK, my tongue is hanging out Labrador style. That is really nice!

Trooper224
07-07-2016, 03:02 PM
It was priced at $595 and I took it out the door for $550, not too bad considering the ridiculous prices everything with the pony seems to be commanding these days. I've always loved this one since it, as well as it's siblings the Agent, Cobra, etc., are just about the only snubbies I can get a good grip on. The S&W J frames are simply too small. The fact that it's also a film noir classic also helps on the second type of cool level.

As I was fondling it my buddy across the counter said, "You need that." I replied, "Mrs. Awesome is out in the car, go tell her that." He grins and says, "Don't think i won't!" and walks out the door. In short order he comes back in with a look of slight panic on his face and tells me, "Uh oh, she's coming in!" Mrs. Awesome takes one look and asks, "Why haven't you bought it already?" As he was ringing it up my buddy tells me, "I was just kidding, I didn't think it would work." Of course, it may have helped that we had just come from the jewelry store where we picked up her new ring, then just *happened* to stop by the gun shop. :)

Poconnor
07-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Very nice; I wish I still had my Colt snubbies but I can't afford safe queens anymore. I wish Colt would make more

SecondsCount
07-07-2016, 04:01 PM
It was priced at $595 and I took it out the door for $550, not too bad considering the ridiculous prices everything with the pony seems to be commanding these days. I've always loved this one since it, as well as it's siblings the Agent, Cobra, etc., are just about the only snubbies I can get a good grip on. The S&W J frames are simply too small. The fact that it's also a film noir classic also helps on the second type of cool level.

As I was fondling it my buddy across the counter said, "You need that." I replied, "Mrs. Awesome is out in the car, go tell her that." He grins and says, "Don't think i won't!" and walks out the door. In short order he comes back in with a look of slight panic on his face and tells me, "Uh oh, she's coming in!" Mrs. Awesome takes one look and asks, "Why haven't you bought it already?" As he was ringing it up my buddy tells me, "I was just kidding, I didn't think it would work." Of course, it may have helped that we had just come from the jewelry store where we picked up her new ring, then just *happened* to stop by the gun shop. :)

I think that is really cool that you call your wife Mrs. Awesome. No wonder she didn't have an issue with you adding another to the fold :cool:

Trooper224
07-07-2016, 04:10 PM
I think that is really cool that you call your wife Mrs. Awesome. No wonder she didn't have an issue with you adding another to the fold :cool:

I was eighteen when I married her and after thirty two years of marriage I still consider that the smartest decision I ever made.

Stephanie B
07-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Sweet deal and great find!

I have a `76 that I bought two years ago for not much less than yours. It has rubber grips and a couple of dings. I carry it often.

Wayne Dobbs
07-08-2016, 09:30 AM
I was eighteen when I married her and after thirty two years of marriage I still consider that the smartest decision I ever made.

And that success is better than any gun find we can come up with!

NEPAKevin
07-08-2016, 12:32 PM
I think that is really cool that you call your wife Mrs. Awesome.

Wouldn't that also make Trooper224 "Mr. Awesome." :)

UNK
07-08-2016, 01:12 PM
You know its an addiction when you have a "buddy" across the counter. :-)

psalms144.1
07-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Sweet deal and great find!Couldn't agree more - and the pickup on the Colt was a great find as well! :)

BillSWPA
07-08-2016, 02:36 PM

Timing is everything.

In all seriousness, be sure your kids and grandkids know why you picked each other, whet they should look for, and how you were able to stay together and still have such a good relationship. Our society teaches people exactly the wrong things about marriage, and they need the benefit of your good example.

Trooper224
07-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Wouldn't that also make Trooper224 "Mr. Awesome." :)

Well yes, in fact it does. ;)

The shop also had a S&W Military and Police in the case. You know, the real one, not the plastic poser. :) My "buddy" sent me a text this morning asking me if I wanted it at a good price. I declined as I don't want to stretch Mrs. Awesomes awesomeness.

Trooper224
07-08-2016, 05:29 PM
Timing is everything.

In all seriousness, be sure your kids and grandkids know why you picked each other, whet they should look for, and how you were able to stay together and still have such a good relationship. Our society teaches people exactly the wrong things about marriage, and they need the benefit of your good example.

Two of our children are happily married. The third, our oldest son and the middle child, never would listen to anyone about anything. Consequently, he's been married and divorced once already. It seems he may have found the right one the second time around, in spite of himself. All in all they're productive people who seem to be getting on with their lives without addictions, criminal records or dependency on the system. Our results are far better than anyone else on either side of the family.

LockedBreech
07-11-2016, 02:39 PM
Beautiful.

11B10
07-11-2016, 05:59 PM
Today, I walked into my local gun shop for a bottle of oil. I happened to glance over at the used gun case as I stepped through the door and there it was. Mrs. Awesome being, well, awesome, insisted that I buy it. Being the compliant husband that I am, I did not protest. Just a bit of holster wear but otherwise excellent and manufactured in 1973. Judging from the complete lack of internal wear and lack of markings on the cylinder face, recoil shield, no turn ring and pristine chambers it appears to be unfired. You can't be a lover of wheel guns as well as a child of the 20th century and not have a soft spot in your heart for the Dick Special. Check this one off the list.
http://m3.i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/163625953.kPbKZ7cH.jpg
http://m4.i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/163625954.BcENtd4R.jpg
http://m5.i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/163625955.jVXqHsAr.jpg

Super find - congrats and thanks for sharing the photos. Now, does Mr. Awesome have a sister?

11B10
07-11-2016, 06:02 PM

A man with a plan - nicely played, Trooper 224!

11B10
07-11-2016, 06:05 PM

Love your priorities - I couldn't agree more as my bride and I head into our 37th year.

Trooper224
07-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Super find - congrats and thanks for sharing the photos. Now, does Mr. Awesome have a sister?

Sha has four of them and you don't want any part of the two that are single, :)

LSP972
07-12-2016, 08:12 AM
Well yes, in fact it does. ;)

The shop also had a S&W Military and Police in the case. You know, the real one, not the plastic poser. :)

No kidding. Lots of folks now who think that polymer/plastic frame guns are the only "real" thing.

Sigh.

Good buy on the Detective Special. I sure would like to find a pre-68, like-new Agent... with the grip adapter and hammer shroud unit, of course. Not much luck at that, these days.

11B10
07-12-2016, 11:12 AM
Sha has four of them and you don't want any part of the two that are single, :)

I simply must do a better job of proofreading! I MEANT to say: "does MRS. Awesome have a sister?" Sheesh!

Trooper224
07-13-2016, 03:17 PM
I simply must do a better job of proofreading! I MEANT to say: "does MRS. Awesome have a sister?" Sheesh!

I knew what you meant, but for the sake of full disclosure I also have a sister. We're twins and she's well on her way to being the lonely old cat lady living with her pets. (but only when one of her three worthless white trash kids isn't sleeping on the couch) I don't think I'd wish her on anyone. :)

Trooper224
07-13-2016, 03:20 PM
A few days ago I put fifty rounds through this thing. As suspected, it's too small for me to control. It is a bit better than a J frame S&W, which is unmanageable for me. It's accurate, but it pounded the living hell out of the knuckle on my middle finger and even with the "large" wooden grips it's too small for me to get a grip on. I bought it for the cool/collectable factor so I'm not disappointed. Just wanted to shoot it at least once.

RevolverRob
07-13-2016, 08:31 PM
A few days ago I put fifty rounds through this thing. As suspected, it's too small for me to control. It is a bit better than a J frame S&W, which is unmanageable for me. It's accurate, but it pounded the living hell out of the knuckle on my middle finger and even with the "large" wooden grips it's too small for me to get a grip on. I bought it for the cool/collectable factor so I'm not disappointed. Just wanted to shoot it at least once.

Pachys for shooting. Stock slim D-Frame grips + t-grip for carry. The t-grip works great. FYI if you can find them the grips from the D-frames from about ~1980 are probably the best grips made, they flare out out at the bottom both front to back and side to side, making the gun a hell of a lot easier to shoot with a T-grip installed. They can be seen here on the 3" Detective Special at the top of my little D-Frame collection here. Fitz Grips (the derivative company of the famous Fritz, had some really nice tapering grips that fill the hand, but aren't too big like the Pachys. Unfortunately, they last made those stocks in about 1970. I have a set of them, and have long thought of laser-scanning them, taking the files and having a few sets made of micarta or maybe even 3D print them. Trouble is that would be hella expensive and they would still require fitting, because the ones I have now are umm...poor fitting.

Jaywalker
07-14-2016, 11:39 AM
I like the scale grips with a T-Grip for both carry and shooting. It's my wife's so I get a steely-eyed look if I take it to the range without her.

BillSWPA
07-14-2016, 12:07 PM
The best grips I have found for a Detective Special are the Pachmayr Compaq grips that cover the backstrap and Eagle Secret Service grips. If you get the Eagle grips, be sure to tell them to include a speedloader cutout.

Stephanie B
07-14-2016, 02:42 PM
The best grips I have found for a Detective Special are the Pachmayr Compaq grips that cover the backstrap and Eagle Secret Service grips. If you get the Eagle grips, be sure to tell them to include a speedloader cutout.

+1 on the Pachs.

NEPAKevin
07-15-2016, 02:17 PM
FYI if you can find them the grips from the D-frames from about ~1980 are probably the best grips made, they flare out out at the bottom both front to back and side to side, making the gun a hell of a lot easier to shoot with a T-grip installed.

I picked up a set from a company called Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters that was a parts distributor for Colt but searches seem to indicate that they are out of business. Would think that someone had to pick up their NOS but it would be a shame if they are sitting in some basement or storage container.

Trooper224
08-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Just a little post to say thanks to Nyeti for sending me a pair of Pachmayr's for this little roscoe. They make for a much more pleasant shooting experience.

Dagga Boy
08-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Glad to help you to be able to get some trigger time on it.

Danno
08-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Nice score! Best of luck with it

Buckshot
08-06-2016, 04:26 PM
I can take or leave Hogue grips on most guns, but I really like them on a D frame.

Trooper224
08-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Glad to help you to be able to get some trigger time on it.

I sent a photo of it to my youngest son, who's currently floating around the Arabian Gulf. I'm pretty sure it'll get a workout during his next leave.