PDA

View Full Version : Using a RH IWB Holster LH OWB?

RJ
07-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Need some input from the Braintrust:

If there anything wrong with using a right hand IWB holster as a left hand OWB holster for USPSA? (I'm a lefty).

Here is the background: I obtained both a left and a right IWB holder from JMCK for my Walther PPS M2.

I ordered the LH holster for me, and the right hand one for my wife, in case she decided she wanted to carry the M2.

Now, I've been searching without success for a decent open top range holster as I've decided to use my M2 in USPSA, since it is what I carry.

Well, sitting thinking of options, it occurred to me that the right hand IWB could be moved over to the left side...and worn OWB.

I thought, nah, no way...well, I just tried it, and I think it works.

Here is my normal LH IWB rig:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160705/88cf9c8689d78872ca2a35eb6d613aad.jpg

And here is what the RH IWB holster looks like on the left side...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160705/02ef7c9d79cf808eb02d863c23bbd117.jpg

I also just did 10 minutes of draws using the OWB holster, with a par of 1.5s. No problems whatsoever.

So, am I missing something here, or is this gtg for games?

olstyn
07-05-2016, 07:14 PM
As long as it stays tight on your belt when you draw, I don't see a big issue. That said, you'll want to be VERY sure that clip is on right. It'd suck to try to draw and come up with the holster still attached to the gun.

Also, the PPS (M1 and M2) is not on the Production gun list, so you'd have to shoot Limited if your club actually cared (they probably won't, but it's something to be aware of), and you'd be at an even greater disadvantage there than in Production. (8 round mags vs competitors that have 20+ round mags is really not fair, not to mention the other advantages the "real" Limited guns have.)

Speaking as someone who just transitioned from a P99c to a full-size P99 for the game, I can tell you that I already feel more competitive; my first classifier with the larger gun was more than 10% higher than any I'd ever shot before. If you're ok with accepting that you won't be competitive, then rock on with the PPS, but if you ever get the itch to end up higher on the score sheet, you'll want to use a bigger gun. IIRC you've got a PPQ or a VP9, right? Either would be a more appropriate choice for the game.

SLG
07-05-2016, 07:20 PM
I would not do that, and I think many USPSA clubs would prevent you from using that holster that way. If they don't realize what you're doing, they may overlook it...

orionz06
07-05-2016, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't. You could likely shoot an entire season and not see an issue or you could be flexing the clip just enough each draw that it breaks from limited use. Now that those clips have been out for a little and many have been using them for more than Instagram there are snapping reports on the kydex/boltaron body that are textbook breakages just from flex. No matter how perfect your draw is the holster will tilt a little before the gun snaps free. This is the flex that breaks them.

No need to be the guy who drops their gun over a few bucks.

RJ
07-05-2016, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't. You could likely shoot an entire season and not see an issue or you could be flexing the clip just enough each draw that it breaks from limited use. Now that those clips have been out for a little and many have been using them for more than Instagram there are snapping reports on the kydex/boltaron body that are textbook breakages just from flex. No matter how perfect your draw is the holster will tilt a little before the gun snaps free. This is the flex that breaks them.

No need to be the guy who drops their gun over a few bucks.

Ok, that makes sense.

I needed someone to tell me 'hey dummy, it's a bad idea, here's why...'

Yeah, the clip being designed like it was will keep the holster more or less stable inside the pant; outside, not so much, maybe.

My Blade Tech OWB holster for my VP9 by comparison, obviously is well secure, with a lock-over mechanism secured by a lock tab.

In USPSA shooting, I'm not worried about the 'limited' part, or 'being competitive part' or the 8 round mag part. It was more the 'shoot what you carry' idea.

Maybe I'm over emphasizing the importance of using the carry pistol for competition, and I should continue to use my VP9 and just scrap this idea of using the PPS M2 for gun games. I should probably check with Dunning and/or Kruger on this. :cool:

Ok, got it. Thanks all.

olstyn
07-05-2016, 10:17 PM
In USPSA shooting, I'm not worried about the 'limited' part, or 'being competitive part' or the 8 round mag part. It was more the 'shoot what you carry' idea.

Maybe I'm over emphasizing the importance of using the carry pistol for competition, and I should continue to use my VP9 and just scrap this idea of using the PPS M2 for gun games. I should probably check with Dunning and/or Kruger on this.

My input is obviously colored by my experience. I competed with what I carried for several years before buying the bigger version. In the early part of that period, I knew I didn't have the skill level to be particularly competitive anyway, but I may also have hindered my learning progress by shooting something that's harder to control recoil with. The urge to be competitive bit me quickly and hard, and I knew I was hindered by the smaller gun, but I was constrained by budget and figured I hadn't hit my maximum level of performance with it yet, so I kept going. Then (only about 2 weeks ago) I saw a price I couldn't resist on the full size, and my plans shifted. Of course, now I no longer have the excuse that the compact gun hinders my performance. It's put up or shut up time for me now. :) Your experience (and mileage) may vary.

In the end, if what you want out competition is experience with shooting your carry gun under stress, go for it with the PPS. If you want to be competitive, go for the VP9. Of course, given that you've got support gear for both, it's not like you have to do the same thing every time. You could try a few matches with each gun and see which one you enjoy competing with more. Also, IWB holsters are perfectly legal in USPSA, so I'd say if you decide to stick with the PPS plan, just use your normal carry holster and either tuck your shirt in behind it or draw from concealment if you so choose.

RJ
07-06-2016, 05:33 AM
In the end, if what you want out competition is experience with shooting your carry gun under stress, go for it with the PPS. If you want to be competitive, go for the VP9. Of course, given that you've got support gear for both, it's not like you have to do the same thing every time. You could try a few matches with each gun and see which one you enjoy competing with more. Also, IWB holsters are perfectly legal in USPSA, so I'd say if you decide to stick with the PPS plan, just use your normal carry holster and either tuck your shirt in behind it or draw from concealment if you so choose.

Copy. Makes sense.

At this point, with zip for uspsa under my belt, I'm leaning to go Production with the VP9 OWB. I'll get good practice, and better able to judge my progress in P against my peers vs. shooting L with an 8 round single stack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SLG
07-06-2016, 07:51 AM
If shooting what you carry matters to you, the why not carry it in the IWB you normally use? The only USPSA I ever shot was from IWB...for several years, all around the country.

RJ
07-06-2016, 09:26 AM
If shooting what you carry matters to you, the why not carry it in the IWB you normally use? The only USPSA I ever shot was from IWB...for several years, all around the country.

Yessir. The obvious answer.

Additional info: I was struggling with reholstering at the end of my two hours with Mr. White in Clackamas last month. Exacerbated by the extra pounds I am carrying around my middle.

I guess they call that a clue. :cool:

So: Back to the gym. Compete (safely) in P with the VP9. When comfortable, compete with PPS M2 IWB.

SLG
07-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Additional info: I was struggling with reholstering at the end of my two hours with Mr. White in Clackamas last month. Exacerbated by the extra pounds I am carrying around my middle.

So: Back to the gym. Compete (safely) in P with the VP9. When comfortable, compete with PPS M2 IWB.

I remember you saying that now. Your solution makes sense.

GJM
07-06-2016, 12:11 PM
Your VP9 and OWB is a perfect rig for USPSA Production. Probably a good idea to get the hang of shooting matches with that combo first.

New guy showing up with a little pistol that may not be Production legal, using an opposite IWB holster in a OWB position, taking forever because of magazine capacity is sure to initially earn you "that guy" status until you get to know people!