PDA

View Full Version : Which .22 caliber DA revolver?

Greg
07-03-2016, 12:36 AM
Now that 22 is getting more reasonable in price I'm thinking of picking up a 22 DA revolver.

Trigger control drills is the intended use.

What should I look at?

Thanks in advance.

GJM
07-03-2016, 12:45 AM
I really like these:

S&W Model 317 Kit Gun 3" 22LR LR 160221

Pulling a heavy, long DA trigger, while steering the sights on a light revolver is fantastic for learning trigger control. I didn't make that up -- I heard it from Bill Rogers. By shooting thousands and thousands of rounds through my 317, I have greatly improved my one hand shooting.

ACP230
07-03-2016, 06:18 AM
I have a Model 18 S&W. Shoots well but kind of finicky about ammo.
It does mimic my .38, .357 and .41 Magnum Smiths well, however.

Also shoot a Charter Arms Pathfinder .22. It feels a lot like a S&W J-frame.
Doesn't care what kind of ammo I use. Has a three inch barrel, adjustable sights
and is stainless. Charter appears to have deleted the adjustable sights on current
Pathfinder models. I think that was a mistake.

Ruger has several .22 DA revolvers but I haven't shot any.

SteveB
07-03-2016, 06:24 AM
I really like these:

Pulling a heavy, long DA trigger, while steering the sights on a light revolver is fantastic for learning trigger control. I didn't make that up -- I heard it from Bill Rogers. By shooting thousands and thousands of rounds through my 317, I have greatly improved my one hand shooting.

These are great guns and weigh nothing. You can use plastic drywall anchors (don't remember the size, but they're yellow) as snap caps for dry firing.

hufnagel
07-03-2016, 08:33 AM
I've only ever shot one a lot, but I love my S&W 617 4". You can find my mini review of it on here.

GJM
07-03-2016, 10:20 AM
I've only ever shot one a lot, but I love my S&W 617 4". You can find my mini review of it on here.

I have two of these, and they make great .22 hunting and general purpose revolvers. I don't think they are ideal for what the OP is trying to accomplish, because they are too easy to shoot. The advantage of the 317 is having to steer the sights on a light gun while pressing a long, heavy trigger. That is why the Rogers School uses the 317.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-03-2016, 10:41 AM
I ditched a 317 as I couldn't stand the trigger pull. Didn't know that was a good thing. Also, I needed the money. I've started to see new Model SW 63s with a 3 inch barrel lately.

GJM
07-03-2016, 10:46 AM
I ditched a 317 as I couldn't stand the trigger pull. Didn't know that was a good thing. Also, I needed the money. I've started to see new Model SW 63s with a 3 inch barrel lately.

see, that is why PF is so important to your shooting -- you get to learn why a bad trigger can be good. :)

Jeep
07-03-2016, 11:06 AM

I have one of those 63's. Not a great trigger pull, but not horrible either. A good accurate and reliable .22 revolver; well worth getting in my view.

taadski
07-03-2016, 12:45 PM
I actually prefer a K frame .22 for the intended roll. I find they fill the hand a bit better than the J frames and replicate a full sized service pistol better for me in terms of weight, trigger reach, etc... I own a 4" 617 that's on its second hand and have a newer (to me) model 18 that both digest everything I put through them. They are both quintessential shooters.

I do have a model 63 too. It's a super handy little bugger, is especially great for traditional "kit gun" roles and is quite a shooter in its own right. Great little gun…but not because its trigger is heavier and it's arguably harder to shoot. (Jesus we collectively need help. ;))

While I'm biased toward S&Ws, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices. Good quality trigger time with a .22 wheelie will do wonders for your shooting.

JAD
07-03-2016, 12:48 PM
I recall I think that Chuck Haggard uses a S&W 43C as a gym gun, which has always intrigued me. I remember you messing with them at one point, GJM-- am I right, and how would that do in the trigger training role?

GJM
07-03-2016, 12:57 PM
I recall I think that Chuck Haggard uses a S&W 42 as a gym gun, which has always intrigued me. I remember you messing with them at one point, GJM-- am I right, and how would that do in the trigger training role?

Confused -- do you mean the model 43, in .22lr? Similar trigger to 317, but I prefer adjustable sights for my training revolver. If you want trigger strength training, the 351 in .22 mag has about a 90 pound pull.

GJM
07-03-2016, 01:42 PM
I actually prefer a K frame .22 for the intended roll. I find they fill the hand a bit better than the J frames and replicate a full sized service pistol better for me in terms of weight, trigger reach, etc... I own a 4" 617 that's on its second hand and have a newer (to me) model 18 that both digest everything I put through them. They are both quintessential shooters.

I do have a model 63 too. It's a super handy little bugger, is especially great for traditional "kit gun" roles and is quite a shooter in its own right. Great little gun…but not because its trigger is heavier and it's arguably harder to shoot. (Jesus we collectively need help. ;))

While I'm biased toward S&Ws, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices. Good quality trigger time with a .22 wheelie will do wonders for your shooting.

Dead give away as to who the X5 shooter is, when they think a 617 is "just right" as a .22. :)

Saur
07-03-2016, 02:02 PM
The grips on the 317 seem so small. Any one replace the grips for better trigger finger placement or is that even a concern?

UNK
07-03-2016, 03:06 PM
I would check to see if you even need snap caps. The yellow anchors are #4-#6 7/8 inch wall anchors according to a quick search.. I haven't used them but I read they don't last long.
I just bought these 22LR ORANGE SAF-T-TRAINERS, PKG 50 729-050-022WB from Brownells. I haven't used any yet but I have read they rotate supposedly eliminating having all the strikes in one spot.

These are great guns and weigh nothing. You can use plastic drywall anchors (don't remember the size, but they're yellow) as snap caps for dry firing.

Lost River
07-03-2016, 04:14 PM
Owning a 4" J Frame Model 63, and a 4" K Frame pre model 18, I very much find the K frame easier to shoot well.

The little J frame is awesome to pack on the hip, and it is hard to even notice it is there, but the K frame is certainly easier to get accurate hits when the ranges extend past 25 yards or so (for me).

I also own a 6" K frame that shoot like a rifle. That thing is amazing. There are few guns that can make a handgun shooter look better than he is than a 6" K-22 (again in my opinion).

GJM
07-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Not nearly as classy as Taadski's blued S&W, but here is my early, pre-lock 317 along with its holster I use, a Dark Star ambi AIWB. Besides training, I carry it to harvest game birds up in AK, carrying it left hand AIWB, where I hardly notice it is there, between its size and weight.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image_zpsynghgov4.jpeg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image_zpsynghgov4.jpeg.html)

Tamara
07-04-2016, 01:15 PM
I recall I think that Chuck Haggard uses a S&W 43C as a gym gun, which has always intrigued me. I remember you messing with them at one point, GJM-- am I right, and how would that do in the trigger training role?

At Blogorado last year one of my gunsmith friends had brought his XS-sighted 43C along and we were doing stuff on the short-range rifle range (berms at 75 and 100 yards) that the internet says you're not supposed to be able to do with a DAO rimfire J-frame with a Big Dot. :D

SWAT Lt.
07-04-2016, 03:08 PM
At Blogorado last year one of my gunsmith friends had brought his XS-sighted 43C along and we were doing stuff on the short-range rifle range (berms at 75 and 100 yards) that the internet says you're not supposed to be able to do with a DAO rimfire J-frame with a Big Dot. :D

I love the 43C and find it to be unbelievably accurate considering the short barrel, light weight and DA trigger. I find it to be a perfect trainer for my 340 M&P with regards to trigger control.

TCinVA
07-05-2016, 07:51 PM
I have a 317 snub that I wouldn't recommend too much. Definitely get a longer barreled model if you go that route unless you are pocket carrying it. I greatly prefer my 34 with the 4" barrel.

HRL
07-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Anyone have experience with the GP-100 .22? Like the sights on it, but do like k-frame triggers not sure how these stack up.

I have a bid in on an old k-22, but just in case...

Jared
07-07-2016, 05:06 PM
Anyone have experience with the GP-100 .22? Like the sights on it, but do like k-frame triggers not sure how these stack up.

I have a bid in on an old k-22, but just in case...

I've got the GP100 in 22. I do like it, but....

I wish it was a 4" barrel instead of the 5.5 and the trigger is not Smith and Wesson nice. As a matter of fact, it's not as nice as my center fire GP's are either. It's not on the for sale or trade block, and I warmed up to it a good bit more after I got some different grips for it. Still, I keep thinking they missed it by "that much" so to speak.

Now, I'm a real sucker for 22 revolvers. I just recently got a new 617 4" to try and keep wear and tear off of my older classic Smith rimfires. I haven't got a chance to shoot the new Smith yet, but between the two, unless there is something terribly wrong with the 617, I'd recommend it over the Ruger to the buyer who was only going to get one and not both

mmc45414
07-08-2016, 06:08 AM
Anyone have experience with the GP-100 .22?
No, but...

I have an SP-101 3" .357 (that has been to Gemini) that has been making me want the .22 cousin but the www says their trigger pull is tough, and before I read this thread I didn't realize that was a good thing :)

The chatter is that the springs are way heavy and there is much improvement in a swap, including a thread right here on PF:
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?20236-SP101-22-Wolff-spring-kit

Irelander
05-10-2017, 03:01 PM
What about the Ruger SP101 in .22LR?
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/sp101/images/5765.jpg

GJM has me looking for a 317 on GB right now.

zeleny
05-13-2017, 01:38 PM

OlongJohnson
05-13-2017, 11:03 PM
Not nearly as classy as Taadski's blued S&W, but here is my early, pre-lock 317 along with its holster I use, a Dark Star ambi AIWB. Besides training, I carry it to harvest game birds up in AK, carrying it left hand AIWB, where I hardly notice it is there, between its size and weight.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image_zpsynghgov4.jpeg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image_zpsynghgov4.jpeg.html)

Hope this isn't too drifty. At least it's sort of about a classic...

GJM's post makes me want to get my aluminum-framed Browning 1911-22 A1 out more. It's kinda like an Airweight J frame version of a 1911, and a tribute to JMB's design that it works as well as it does even at 85% size with my USP45-size hands. A few ounces heavier, but 10 rounds, magazine reloads, and no cylinder to make it wide. It's frustrating that the sights suck so bad. The Black Label versions all have better sights, but they also have composite frames, which make the baby Jesus cry when he compares them to the aluminum frame side by side.

Browning's page with pics, mine looks pretty much like them.

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/1911-22/current-production/1911-22-a1.html

john c
05-14-2017, 02:59 AM
The Black Label Medallion series has the aluminum frame and upgraded sights. The plain Black Labels have the composite frames.

DIESEL
06-10-2017, 10:27 AM
I have the SP101 4.3" 22, despite what I hear others say about the trigger I love this gun. Accurate and beautiful

D

LOBO
06-11-2017, 09:37 AM
I have a K frame S&W model 18 4" that is a perfect understudy to my other K frame S&W 4" .38 specials and .357 magnums. You'd be hard pressed to get it away from me.

SamAdams
06-11-2017, 11:45 AM
I really like these:

I got my 3" barrel 317 years ago. The trigger was heavy and I looked into what guys were trying at the time to lighten it up. IIRC they had light hammer strikes and ignition problems. I just thought "Screw it." and carried on. It does fine. I love how light it is. You could practically wear the thing hanging from a neck lanyard and hardly notice it. I throw it in my pack with a box of 22 when out in the boonies.
Its been in the kit gun role, but after reading your post referring to Bill Rogers, I'll have to shoot it more - for trigger control training.