PDA

View Full Version : Experienced Coach/Instructor Question

UNK
07-02-2016, 07:14 PM
This is at 7 yards two handed grip 10 shots. Sequence is top to bottom. What do you think the shooter issue is with these groups.? I have seen him shoot a ragged one hole group with the same pistol but only once.

ASH556
07-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Based on my own journey I would say it's a lack of hard front sight focus and probably more a target focus happening. The groups are decently centered so the grip and trigger press seem to be decently executed. It may also be inconsistent aligment of the sights both within themselves and on the target. Either way, my vote is that a review of and focus on what the shooter needs to see is in order.

JTPHD
07-02-2016, 08:31 PM
I agree. They're probably changing their focus; looking at the front sight, target, front sight. I like using 1-hole drills like Surf explains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--LkpqK6jhM

UNK
07-02-2016, 08:36 PM
Thanks Guys. He is sixteen and needed to hear it from someone besides his Dad.

Sir Guy
07-03-2016, 12:37 PM
A little late, but agreed; my first thought was "chasing the hole."

nwhpfan
07-04-2016, 12:57 AM
Thanks Guys. He is sixteen and needed to hear it from someone besides his Dad.

I would say if he can shoot like that, slow fire from 7 yards.... he's on his way to figuring out whatever shooting tasks he's faced.

"guided discovery"

If he's into shooting, if it's something he likes to do, give him ammo. If he likes to read, Brian Enos; Practical Shooting - Beyond Fundamentals.

UNK
07-04-2016, 07:40 AM
I would say if he can shoot like that, slow fire from 7 yards.... he's on his way to figuring out whatever shooting tasks he's faced.

"guided discovery"

If he's into shooting, if it's something he likes to do, give him ammo. If he likes to read, Brian Enos; Practical Shooting - Beyond Fundamentals.

He's stuck right now. Those shots all need to be touching before we proceed further. In two hand SHO and WHO. We shot yesterday and before the session was over I realized he needs some dry fire practice and I have ordered some dummy rounds to mix with his live rounds. He will get there no doubt.
We are following this guide. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3592-ToddG-for-Beginners

scjbash
07-04-2016, 12:38 PM
He's stuck right now. Those shots all need to be touching before we proceed further. In two hand SHO and WHO.

Not implying that you aren't, but be sure he's having fun though all of it. I've seen a lot of teenagers get burnt out chasing perfection with their parents, and they typically keep their mouths shut because they don't want to say anything to Mom or Dad. If it ends up that mixing in some speed drills before he's nailing one-hole groups with one hand(just an example) is what's needed to keep him excited about it then don't hesitate to make those adjustments.

SecondsCount
07-04-2016, 02:04 PM
Target shooting is complete boredom for a 16 year old. I would add some action to make things fun. If it is fun, he will try harder and will improve. I have two sons and see this with them.

Luke
07-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Agreed. Sounds like it's time for his first match! I guarantee he will have more of a desire to train after some friendly competition.

scjbash
07-04-2016, 02:36 PM
There was a father and teenage son in a class I took a couple months ago. They also shoot matches together. He could have been a little more accurate, could have had more solid fundamentals, etc, but he is absolutely hooked.

jiminycricket
07-04-2016, 10:38 PM
I'm curious, what was he shooting?

UNK
07-05-2016, 05:24 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the comments! Good to see other fathers taking an interest in their kids shooting.
He has shot steel challenge and really likes it. He also has a bit of bench time with .22 rifles We try to do steel plate rack shooting at the end of each session.
This is the year to really learn the fundamentals of marksmanship. Hopefully an Appleseed shoot later this fall and this program now.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3592-ToddG-for-Beginners.
The pistol is a Hamerilli IPSC Xesse from Larrys Guns that I picked up used at about half price. We also have a Ruger 22/45 with a Tac Sol upper and a C-More.
For Appleseed he has a S&W 15-22 with a A1 front sight and trigger work done by me.
It's all fun. I only wish I could find a place to shoot trap with a .22 rifle. That is the most fun ever in .22 shooting that I have ever done.

Redhat
07-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Sometimes young folks (and older) need to "discover" what you've been telling them over and over on their "own". By that I mean, you may have to back off a bit and let him figure it out on his own. This happened with mine when he learned to shoot a basketball. I went over all the fundamentals: shooting hand, support hand, arm alignment, focus and follow-through and so on to which he would sometimes answer "that doesn't work for me" . Finally I let him go until about a month later he had discovered the truth of it on his own...like I never taught him anything.

UNK
07-07-2016, 08:52 AM
He's sixteen so yes that's a complete set of challenges in itself. He's a decent shooter already, we are just going to fine tune. Right now I have moved him back to dry fire. He is resting the pistol on a table while sitting in a chair. His main goal now is perfect sight picture and having the front sight not move. After this we will move to standing two hand then one hand. After that we will go back to the range. I expect the groups to tighten significantly.
I still have jerking and anticipating to work on with him.
The goal is not only to become proficient but also be able to diagnose. A true understanding of marksmanship that he can take with him forever.

Sometimes young folks (and older) need to "discover" what you've been telling them over and over on their "own". By that I mean, you may have to back off a bit and let him figure it out on his own. This happened with mine when he learned to shoot a basketball. I went over all the fundamentals: shooting hand, support hand, arm alignment, focus and follow-through and so on to which he would sometimes answer "that doesn't work for me" . Finally I let him go until about a month later he had discovered the truth of it on his own...like I never taught him anything.

lwt16
07-07-2016, 01:48 PM
My sixteen year old is a natural at shooting.

He used to go with me all the time. Started him out on a Marlin single shot youth model, progressed to levers, auto rifles, to pistols to centerfire.

Figured he would get the safe full of goodies when I go on to glory.

I took him to a friend's house who is a USPSA shooter and NRA instructor. We ran some plate drills and dueling tree stuff....just horsing around. My buddy is about to die to have him come to a USPSA match....said he would dominate his class. I posed it to the boy and said I'd finance a gun, rig, and training ammo. His response?

"How much money could I win?"

He has no interest in it unless it pays money and he can buy more guitars. He is a great guitarist and has threatened to sell all my guns when I die and buy vintage guitars with the money. lol

Kids.....they will break your heart.

Luke
07-07-2016, 03:15 PM
Lol that sucks man!