PDA

View Full Version : Shot timer recommendations?

Trooper224
06-30-2016, 04:20 PM
I'm looking for a shot timer. Does anyone have any recommendations or preferences? It will see a fair amount of use on an indoor range so sensitivity to background noise might be an issue.

BCL
06-30-2016, 04:24 PM
I use this one and it works well...you can dial in the sensitivity, although I can't remember if I've shot it at an indoor range, since I usually avoid those like the plague:

http://benstoegerproshop.com/competition-electronics-pocket-pro-2-shot-timer-blue/

This one is probably better for indoor use, since you can disable shot tracking by sound and use the accelerometer (or something like that) instead:

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/DAA-SHOTMAXX-Timer-P3131.aspx

The biggest downside for using the Shotmaxx that way is with one-handed shooting, since you would have to have the timer on whatever hand you are shooting with.

GJM
06-30-2016, 04:33 PM
I have had a bunch of them over the years, and think they all suck. I use the Pocket Pro II, have three of them, and that way at least one is working.

The great thing about shooting a LEM trigger is you can just you use the second hand on your watch.

Josh Runkle
06-30-2016, 07:09 PM
The great thing about shooting a LEM trigger is you can just you use the second hand on your watch.

I laughed so hard. Awesome.

HopetonBrown
06-30-2016, 07:19 PM
I have only used the Pocket Pro II, as that's what everyone I know uses and what my local clubs use.

If you buy one, get it from Brownells for their lifetime replacement warranty.

dbateman
06-30-2016, 10:40 PM
I also have and use a CED Pocket Pro 2.

I've used a variety of shot timers, the pp2 is the best bang for buck.

Peally
07-01-2016, 08:09 AM
They all suck quite a bit. Get a Pocket Pro if you don't mind the size.

Armiger
07-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Another vote for the Pocket Pro II.

They're around $100 on Amazon, and Prime to boot.

BehindBlueI's
07-01-2016, 09:53 AM
I've been happy with my Shotmaxx wrist-watch style timer. The inertia mode feels the recoil of your shot and won't count echos or other shooters on an indoor range. There's an existing thread, so I won't go into great detail, but the only time it's let me down is when:

1) I forgot to charge it
2) I wore in on my off hand for a strong hand only drill...

So both were on me.

The biggest downside is without the app and smart phone it won't store strings, so you've got to write it down after each string.

John Hearne
07-02-2016, 02:01 PM
Get a Shotmaxx if you're shooting on indoor ranges. If you're not worried about indoor noise, create an E-Bay search and pick up a CED-6000. I've got two now so I probably won't be trying to outbid you now.

LOKNLOD
07-02-2016, 05:02 PM
I've got a CED-8000, it looks like an old game boy with flip screen, eats 9V batteries, and is apparently not very durable based on the reports of others. They're discontinued now, as well. I like the form factor, but they were never very popular.

So yeah, id get a pocket pro II if outdoor only or a shotmaxx if indoor mainly.

LOKNLOD
07-02-2016, 05:03 PM
oops double post.

BaiHu
07-02-2016, 08:26 PM
I have a PP2 and I use it in an indoor range regularly. Here are my amateur tips:
1) Lay it on the side so the microphone pics up directionally towards your belly.
2) I have the sensitivity on 2 or 3 IIRC
3) Make sure an operator running a 308 on a 15 yd indoor range isn't going all CoD on you and you'll be fine.

Greg
07-02-2016, 10:34 PM
I have a Pact Club Timer 3 and it has always worked. I shoot outdoors almost exclusively.

The interface leaves a lot to be desired.

John Hearne
07-11-2016, 09:18 PM
Out of the niceness of my heart, and the fact that I've grabbed the last two, there is another CED-6000 for sale on E-Bay. Not my auction or anything but these things are SOLID.

Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Competitive-Edge-Dynamics-CED-6000-Shot-Timer-No-Reserve-/152162527432?

PensFan
09-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Out of the niceness of my heart, and the fact that I've grabbed the last two, there is another CED-6000 for sale on E-Bay. Not my auction or anything but these things are SOLID.

Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Competitive-Edge-Dynamics-CED-6000-Shot-Timer-No-Reserve-/152162527432?

I loved my 6000. I traded up into the 8000 (Game boy) model and love it as well. Repeatable par-times, fairly big display, ear plugs come in handy doing dry fire in hotel rooms. I like the idea of the 7000 but it's small. I like clipping to my belt and being able to easily see the screen. Plus the ability to activate it a from two different locations is good.

If you call CED they often have older models that they get back from clubs etc... At least they used to.

JustOneGun
09-07-2016, 09:05 PM
Strange but I have never had a problem with my pocket pro II as far as durability. It just works. The only think I did was put a piece of cardboard next to the battery so that it would not rattle (and disconnect.) It's worked for years, including me dropping it due to my dynamic movement. And by dynamic movement I mean stumbling around and falling down.

I've never used it indoors though. If you're stuck with that I think making the shotmaxx work would be the way to go.

TAZ
09-08-2016, 11:02 AM
I have a CED7000 that I got as a prize from somewhere. It's worked well for my outdoor needs. Haven't had good success indoors with it though. Probably set too sensitive. Am seriously thinking about getting a Shitmaxx wrist unit or developing an app for my Apple Watch as a fun learn to develop stuff hobby.

martin_j001
09-08-2016, 11:58 AM
I have had a Pocket Pro, a Pocket Pro 2, and now a CED7000. I much prefer the interface and form factor of the 7000 over the others. I cannot speak to how any of these would work indoors as I never used them in that way.

Jim Watson
09-11-2016, 06:57 PM
Most any brand will do for timing a match stage.
I like the CED 7000 and 8000 for practice because they have a multi-string memory so you can do a drill several times and then look up your results instead of having to stop and write times down.

I have seen the occasional 8000 with a broken hinge. But they still worked.

taadski
09-11-2016, 07:11 PM
I've been using a Pocket Pro II for a couple years with good luck. It has been pretty sturdy. It was a replacement for 2 different CED 7000s that both gave up the ghost. In both cases, the buttons themselves started to no longer function. Occasionally at first, then progressed to the point where they weren't usable and ceased functioning all together. FWIW.