PDA

View Full Version : Be CAREFUL of what you wish...

Mjolnir
06-29-2016, 09:41 AM
I saw this in my feed and I immediately thought of those who obtain RDS mounted on their pistols. Be careful!

These Glocks are ruined.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/29/failed-glock-modifications-by-experts/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Default.mp3
06-29-2016, 09:49 AM
I saw this in my feed and I immediately thought of those who obtain RDS mounted on their pistols. Be careful!

These Glocks are ruined.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/29/failed-glock-modifications-by-experts/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rssPretty sure that's more of an issue of Zev and Salient doing poor work rather than RDS mounting. Salient was already taken down by Boresight Solutions before: https://www.facebook.com/112698825448285/photos/a.580195712031925.1073741825.112698825448285/963413243710168/?type=1&theater

Stick with ATEi, L&M Precision, or other reputable shops that aren't out to build race-gun-esque Glocks, and you'll be fine. Go with someone like Agency or whatever, who hasn't ruined their reputation just yet, well, caveat emptor.

Peally
06-29-2016, 09:51 AM
Every time I hear "Salient" in the distance I hear echoes.

"Sucker, sucker, sucker..."

LockedBreech
06-29-2016, 10:04 AM
I really want to read that Salient takedown but my work computer won't let me open FB :(

GardoneVT
06-29-2016, 10:08 AM
It's my understanding Salient Arms always charged BMW labor for Dodge workmanship.

Peally
06-29-2016, 10:15 AM
McLaren labor for Chinese sweatshop workmanship on an infinitely reliable but bland '98 Toyota Corolla.

voodoo_man
06-29-2016, 10:20 AM
Ahhh salient....bunch of holster sniffers...

rob_s
06-29-2016, 12:13 PM
I heard on the radio that Salient was good to go. What happened?

Hambo
06-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Just because you could afford a CNC machine doesn't make you a master machinist.

TCinVA
06-29-2016, 12:43 PM
I really want to read that Salient takedown but my work computer won't let me open FB :(

Short version is that they put out some spectacularly shitty work and ruined guns. The business plan of tactical celebrity endorsement combined with shitty QC and machining seems to be at least somewhat profitable, though.

The cracked slide at that link, though, isn't necessarily the fault of the modifier. If they machined away material around the slide rails it's on them, but odds are they didn't. Odds are they machined the rear sight to be much tighter in the dovetail than the factory sights are so that when you use a sight pusher tool you end up applying a lot more force to the slide rail than intended with that tool and break the slide.

Suvorov
06-29-2016, 12:48 PM
Short version is that they put out some spectacularly shitty work and ruined guns. The business plan of tactical celebrity endorsement combined with shitty QC and machining seems to be at least somewhat profitable, though.

The cracked slide at that link, though, isn't necessarily the fault of the modifier. If they machined away material around the slide rails it's on them, but odds are they didn't. Odds are they machined the rear sight to be much tighter in the dovetail than the factory sights are so that when you use a sight pusher tool you end up applying a lot more force to the slide rail than intended with that tool and break the slide.

They did some pretty good work for our very own John Johnston didn't they? I guess they made them special for him?

I guess that's one advantage of not being able to afford custom blasters.....

JCS
06-29-2016, 12:48 PM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160629/10a033e81f0b497fbd2060b053c78395.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCS
06-29-2016, 12:51 PM
I'll try to find the link but I read a story about a guy who had a Zev trigger and he pulled his gun out of the holster and the trigger shoe was gone. When he contacted Zev they told him it was a known issue and he wasn't the first one.

LockedBreech
06-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Holy cow, what a shitshow

Default.mp3
06-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Holy cow, what a shitshowPictures and further commentary if you eventually find the time to go to the FB link. Even Travis Haley eventually chimes in about the lack of success of the Salient ARs in his class.

LockedBreech
06-29-2016, 01:42 PM
So these guys are basically the RIP Ammo of custom guns?

Peally
06-29-2016, 02:04 PM
Their entire business is taking advantage of boobs and "tuning" their guns full-retard style, at extreme prices.

Default.mp3
06-29-2016, 02:17 PM
So these guys are basically the RIP Ammo of custom guns?Not quite. They do have some pretty cool stuff; the problem is three-fold: poor QA/QC, deceptive marketing, and a tendency to place aesthetics and theoretical enhancements over practicality and reliability.

About a year ago, I heard Zev had hired on some more experienced guys with a bigger emphasis on the tactical side of things, but I guess it has panned out as hoped.

Cost-wise, I mean, you can spend a shit-ton on high-quality work and get to just as much as a Salient build:

Glock 17: 475 USD
Boresight Solutions Level 2 Glock Package: 540 USD
Boresight Solutions Beavertail: 225 USD
Boresight Solutions Magazine Release Scallop: 75 USD
Boresight Solutions Magwell Cutouts: 35 USD
Boresight Solutions Trigger Tuning: 45 USD
Boresight Solutions Universal Reprofiled Magwell Opening Modification (URMOM): 55 USD
Boresight Solutions 10-8 Performance Lanyard/Speedramp: 90 USD
Boresight Solutions Frame Index Points: 100 USD
Boresight Solutions Trigger Guard Memory Groove: 65 USD
Bar-Sto Match Target Barrel: 220 USD
Bar-Sto Match Target Barrel Fitting: 200 USD
Heinie Ledge Straight Eights: 140 USD
ATEi Full Top Serrations: 150 USD
ATEi Enhanced Side Serrations, front & back: 135 USD
ATEi Nitride Refinish: 90 USD
Vickers Tactical Slide Stop: 20 USD
Vickers Tactical Extended Magazine Release: 15 USD
Total: 2675 USD

redbone
06-29-2016, 02:42 PM
I heard on the radio that Salient was good to go. What happened?

He rage quit when people questioned his impartiality and then apologized for being an ass.

Oh, sorry, you mean what happened to Salient? (I think anyone that spends that much to dress up a Glock is like spending money to mod a Honda Civic. Just why? Waste of money even if they do good work. That said, I have no idea if Salient does good work or not. Hard to tell just because a competitor trashed them on the Internet.

(Edit - on further review there seems to be documentation of the shitty work from Salient - so I can't dismiss it even if it does from a competitor. )

Tamara
06-29-2016, 03:15 PM
They did some pretty good work for our very own John Johnston didn't they? I guess they made them special for him?

I guess that's one advantage of not being able to afford custom blasters.....

That SIG JJ got ran, but that seems to be less common as time goes by.

As best I can tell, the whole thing seems to have germinated from knowing that some gunsmiths run lightened slides on steel guns and open class gats because it makes them shoot flatter, and then realizing that if you took that to the EXTREME! and then maybe made the barrel a different color, it would look bitchin' as hell. And when the whole purpose of the gun from the buyer's end is to have something that looks smokin' hot in an HDR photo on their Instagram feed, and (this is important) more smokin' hot than their buddy's Instagram gun photo from last week, you get what we have here.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. A little knowledge and a buddy with a CNC machine even more so.

There are people I'd pay to cut on my Glocks, but most of them have proven track records of making stuff that works.

ReverendMeat
06-29-2016, 04:06 PM
Re: Salient

Used to sell their pistols and rifles.

Pretty much all of them came back due to being unreliable and/or breaking.

Stopped selling Salients.

Mjolnir
06-29-2016, 04:16 PM
He rage quit when people questioned his impartiality and then apologized for being an ass.

Oh, sorry, you mean what happened to Salient? (I think anyone that spends that much to dress up a Glock is like spending money to mod a Honda Civic. Just why? Waste of money even if they do good work.

LOL!

At least with the older Civics and B-Series engines you had a fairly rigid body, rigid suspension pick up points, double wishbone suspension and a bulletproof block.

They made and make excellent autocross and trackday cars.

LOL!

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

JCS
06-29-2016, 04:26 PM
Are there people who give positive reviews about the salient Glock builds that purchase them with their own money?

I'm not sure I've seen a review from someone who isn't given the gun or sponsored by them.

orionz06
06-29-2016, 05:29 PM
(I think anyone that spends that much to dress up a Glock is like spending money to mod a Honda Civic. Just why?

What's wrong with modding a Civic?

Are there people who give positive reviews about the salient Glock builds that purchase them with their own money?

I'm not sure I've seen a review from someone who isn't given the gun or sponsored by them.

Yes. They don't post here now though.

redbone
06-30-2016, 12:04 AM
LOL!

At least with the older Civics and B-Series engines you had a fairly rigid body, rigid suspension pick up points, double wishbone suspens
They made and make excellent autocross and trackday cars.

LOL!

The best way to modify a Civic for the track is to sell it and buy a Miata.

What's wrong with modding a Civic?

8873 (I'm pretty sure that's a Civic in the pic.)

It's the equivalent of a Salient Glock. Take a $5,000 car, add $10,000 worth of garish modifications, and you have a fifteen thousand dollar five thousand dollar car.

LittleLebowski
06-30-2016, 06:53 AM
I don't agree with the Civic analogy as at least the Civic modifications can result in measurable performance gains. I publicly request that Salient provide one Salient shooter that can outshoot Mr White with his G34.

I have never taken Salient seriously, I thought the reasons why were glaringly obvious to any serious shooter.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:TyMSD2teZJsJ:https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/694480_.html%26page%3D3+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

orionz06
06-30-2016, 07:10 AM
It's the equivalent of a Salient Glock. Take a $5,000 car, add $10,000 worth of garish modifications, and you have a fifteen thousand dollar five thousand dollar car.

I bet that Civic owner has exactly what they want though. Evaluating someone else's purchases and things based on my wants and needs is silly. I wouldn't drive the car shown at all but somewhere there's some white sunglasses wearin' dude who would scoff at my plain car and be quite proud of his.

I don't agree with the Civic analogy as at least the Civic modifications can result in measurable performance gains. I publicly request that Salient provide one Salient shooter that can outshoot Mr White with his G34.

I

A more appropriate comparison would be having Gabe acclimate to a Salient and then see how his times are changed by the use of their guns. Choking would likely impact them significantly. Their frames are quite nice though.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

JCS
06-30-2016, 07:33 AM
Salient is very good at marketing I'll give them that. They sponsor some guys on Instagram like baret Fawbush and a guy who goes by t1cs. The gold guns and trick shot videos they post are crazy. The Internet eats it up.

I'm glad there are forums like this one that keep me grounded.

orionz06
06-30-2016, 07:46 AM
Salient is very good at marketing I'll give them that. They sponsor some guys on Instagram like baret Fawbush and a guy who goes by t1cs. The gold guns and trick shot videos they post are crazy. The Internet eats it up.

I'm glad there are forums like this one that keep me grounded.

Better yet... They're with people (currently) who have the haters gonna hate schtick down and can dismiss any level of criticism on technique by saying people are just jealous of their split times.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

TCinVA
06-30-2016, 09:16 AM
baret Fawbush

Ugh.

pangloss
07-01-2016, 06:07 PM

I have never taken Salient seriously, I thought the reasons why were glaringly obvious to any serious shooter.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:TyMSD2teZJsJ:https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/694480_.html%26page%3D3+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

On a related note, I would love to see ~20 random Glock shooters shoot a stock Glock vs modified Glock and measure performance. Data like that might convince me that a modification has value, but I don't think I'll ever see data like that. Even in that case, the modification would have to be performed properly.