PDA

View Full Version : FNP45 Tactical

JAD
11-03-2011, 06:20 PM
I didn't see a comparable thread; mods please delete if I searched inadequately.

Has anyone messed with the FNP45 generally or the Tactical specifically? It seems like it might be a quick and easy ticket into RDS. Can anyone compare the difficulty of concealing this pistol to a 5" 1911 or a Glock 34/35?

Kevin B.
11-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I would liken it to a Glock 21 dimensionally. Certainly harder to conceal than a 1911 though not impossible with the right holster/attire.

ETA: I just looked at the two manufacturer's websites and the FNP-45 tactical is a bit bigger than the Glock.

jetfire
11-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I have no been over impressed with the FNP guns in general, and this is coming from a gun who LIKES DA/SA guns.

Tamara
11-03-2011, 07:43 PM
I would liken it to a Glock 21 dimensionally. Certainly harder to conceal than a 1911 though not impossible with the right holster/attire.

I'll say this, though: I know somebody who says she conceals one every day in a non-permissive environment in office attire, and she's, like, smaller than Caleb-sized. Dude, that is major hard-core points in my book. :eek:

Kevin B.
11-03-2011, 07:52 PM
I'll say this, though: I know somebody who says she conceals one every day in a non-permissive environment in office attire, and she's, like, smaller than Caleb-sized. Dude, that is major hard-core points in my book. :eek:

I don't know what "Caleb-sized" is but I will assume it is relatively small. If she can conceal one in office attire, daily, that is impressive.

Tamara
11-03-2011, 07:59 PM
I don't know what "Caleb-sized" is...
Caleb's, like, travel-sized. He's a pocket ninja. You could put him in a fanny pack along with your Glock 19 and then *BAM!* double-team the hell out of a mugger by drawing both a pistol AND an IDPA 5-gun Master. Mugger wouldn't stand a chance. :eek:

jetfire
11-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Silly Tam, don't know that us gamers can't shoot? In a defensive situation we're helpless unless we hear the sound of a buzzer.

Back to the FNP-45, for reference this is the gun trying to fit in the IDPA box and failing.

http://gunnuts.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/fnp45-800x594.jpg

Now, if you had mags with flat basepads, it'd probably fit the box, and to be fair the few that I've shot were actually quite pleasant to shoot for a polymer .45. Better in terms of felt recoil than an M&P45, about on part with a Glock 21 or HK45.

ToddG
11-03-2011, 09:40 PM
I don't know what "Caleb-sized" is

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Munchkins-film.jpg

mnealtx
11-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Are ya 'feeling the love' yet, Caleb? :D:D:D

TCinVA
11-04-2011, 06:37 AM
I had the opportunity to shoot one of the FNP .45 "tactical" prototypes. (Frame was the standard FNP frame) My impressions:

- The thing has the ergonomic refinement of a brick. It's ungodly huge, the trigger reach is horrific in DA mode, and the safety is hard to use. It's got lots of sharp edges that will suck in a hurry when you're trying to control the recoil of a .45.

- Did I mention it's huge? As in if you can't palm a basketball then there's no way in hell you are going to be able to pull the DA trigger properly. The grip feels as wide as a 2x4 even with the smallest insert (such as they are) installed in the gun. It's so badly proportioned that holding an HK45 after handling the FNP makes the big HK feel like a G19.

- Speaking of the trigger, the DA trigger pull was awful. Gritty, lots of hitches in it...generally not well suited to a smooth consistent pull from start to finish. The single action trigger was OK, but only just OK. This has been the case with all the FN plastic guns I've tried out in the store or on the range. They may smooth out with wear, assuming the "smoothing" out isn't related to below.

- The quality of the thing is highly suspect, IMO. I don't know many people who have put serious amounts of rounds downrange with one, and of those I do know about I believe all of them had major issues. (Improperly hardened metal parts, broken plastic parts, etc) The FNP line of handguns seems, to me anyway, to be made by the same philosophy that produced the FS2000....which is an embarrassingly bad weapon. FN makes superb belt fed machine guns and great AR's for the military contract...but I think we can all recognize that brand names don't mean a whole lot. Beretta makes the 92 series pistols, which are objectively pretty darn good handguns. They also made the Cougar, which is objectively a steaming pile.

- There is absolutely nothing about that handgun which justifies the ~ $1,000.00 price tag.

The sole redeeming feature of that thing, in my opinion, is that it comes RDS ready. Personally I'd much rather spend the money to have a Glock slide modified (or to buy another slide altogether and have it machined for an RDS) than to spend a pile of money on a highly suspect brick of a handgun that eats expensive ammo.

YMMV. (But probably won't)

SCBradley
11-05-2011, 01:02 AM
I have an FNP 45 Tactical. Have a Glock or a M&P milled for a RMR and be happy.

JAD
11-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Roger that.

JAD
09-18-2016, 02:41 PM
Necrobump. I was I kid you not asking 'for a friend,' who is STILL deliberating a double column .45 (for some reason). This was a textbook good thread. A little Caleb-Tam-Todd banter, and a slam dunk by TC. This forum was and is a ridiculous asset for shooters.

spinmove_
09-22-2016, 01:48 PM
I was I kid you not asking 'for a friend,' who is STILL deliberating a double column .45 (for some reason).

How...is that even possible? That was almost 5 years ago? That has to be one of the worst cases of indecision that I've ever seen.

JAD
09-22-2016, 01:55 PM
Dude takes his time. He also has epic bank. I am decisive, and broke. Draw your own conclusions.

spinmove_
09-22-2016, 02:08 PM
Yeah, but, 5 years? I mean, I'm practically one of the chairmen of the paralysis by analysis fan club, but EVEN I can come to a conclusion faster than that.

JAD
09-22-2016, 02:15 PM
Got to work on your game, I guess.