PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii: mandatory gun registration, owners entered info FBI criminal database

Gray222
06-26-2016, 08:36 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/25/us/hawaii-gun-owner-database/

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hawaii-becomes-first-u-state-place-gun-owners-210248882.html?ref=gs

Hawaii's governor signed a bill making it the first U.S. state to place its residents who own firearms in a federal criminal record database and monitor them for possible wrongdoing anywhere in the country, his office said.

This is unacceptable.

LSP552
06-26-2016, 09:07 AM
Hawaii can do what they choose to do. I have been a frequent visitor in the past, but I won't spend another dollar there. They have always been very liberal, but this is way over the top. I hope every gun owner feels the same.

Gray222
06-26-2016, 09:14 AM
Hawaii can do what they choose to do. I have been a frequent visitor in the past, but I won't spend another dollar there. They have always been very liberal, but this is way over the top. I hope every gun owner feels the same.

I am torn.

I agree with statehood to an extent but these types of clear violations of the second amendment are beyond the scope of statehood.

olstyn
06-26-2016, 09:36 AM
I wonder what their rate of registration compliance will be.

Kyle Reese
06-26-2016, 10:42 AM
Won't be going there.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

TGS
06-26-2016, 10:45 AM
I don't know of any tropical island that is gun friendly...so I don't use that as a metric about where to spend my money when going to a tropical destination.

For me, I can carry in any US state or territory; at least I've got that privilege going. The last time I asked a question clarifying gun laws in Hawaii, a cop told me a story about accosting a federal agent and basically implied that I am a scumbag who thinks he's above the law. All out of left field for asking clarification about their gun laws.

So, fuck Hawaii. The US Virgin Islands is a lot closer and I can do without the racism anyway.

Kyle Reese
06-26-2016, 10:51 AM
The last time I asked a question clarifying gun laws in Hawaii, a cop told me a story about accosting a federal agent and basically implied that I am a scumbag who thinks he's above the law. All out of left field for asking clarification about their gun laws.

I'd love to hear this.

SLG
06-26-2016, 10:56 AM
The masters in hawaii are either even stupider than the rest, and have finally proven that they don't understand how America works. Or, they are willfully corrupt. Which do you think it is?

The statement that they would not know if someone was convicted of a crime in another state is factually false. That ability has been in place for quite some time now.

Hizzie
06-26-2016, 11:02 AM
I don't know of any tropical island that is gun friendly...so I don't use that as a metric about where to spend my money when going to a tropical destination.

For me, I can carry in any US state or territory; at least I've got that privilege going. The last time I asked a question clarifying gun laws in Hawaii, a cop told me a story about accosting a federal agent and basically implied that I am a scumbag who thinks he's above the law. All out of left field for asking clarification about their gun laws.

So, fuck Hawaii. The US Virgin Islands is a lot closer and I can do without the racism anyway.

Racism?

El Cid
06-26-2016, 11:03 AM
The masters in hawaii are either even stupider than the rest, and have finally proven that they don't understand how America works. Or, they are willfully corrupt. Which do you think it is?

The statement that they would not know if someone was convicted of a crime in another state is factually false. That ability has been in place for quite some time now.

You're using logic. I've found most anti-gunners have built up an immunity to all forms of logic and common sense.

RJ
06-26-2016, 11:09 AM
Wow. Just wow.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160626/2cd7df1f3909589a0f6611144af524db.jpg

SLG
06-26-2016, 11:16 AM
Also, I have no idea what this Rap Back database is, but I'm not sure that people who are not under criminal investigation should be able to be put into it. I may have to learn more about this.

Gray222
06-26-2016, 11:26 AM
Also, I have no idea what this Rap Back database is, but I'm not sure that people who are not under criminal investigation should be able to be put into it. I may have to learn more about this.

Obviously they dont explain which database it is, but I would not be surprised if a non-criminal or Someone who is not under investigation would be subject to query by investigators researching actually crimes.

TGS
06-26-2016, 11:54 AM
Racism?

You can google "racism in Hawaii" for more info. I don't really want to get into it in this thread as it's OT.

Mike C
06-26-2016, 12:29 PM

I haven't been there for quite some time but I'd say both. I enjoyed my 4ish years there but was glad to leave when it came time. I can't imagine what it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLG
06-26-2016, 12:32 PM
You can google "racism in Hawaii" for more info. I don't really want to get into it in this thread as it's OT.

I have never been to Hawaii, and really don't care to at this point. I would have liked to in the past.

I had a Samoan on my team for years, one of the best dudes I've ever worked with. Many times he told me about racism in Hawaii from the natives towards the non natives. I certainly don't think that is unique to Hawaii, nor should it really be that surprising.

TGS, he's still with you guys, in case you run into him. Tell him Master Blaster said hi.

Hambo
06-26-2016, 12:33 PM

I'm going to say both, because it's a pretty safe bet with politicians. I'm also willing to bet that California won't want to be left behind on this.

xray 99
06-26-2016, 12:59 PM
Hey, Obama was born in Hawaii. A lot of bad things germinate there....

Is it legal for the Feds to establish this kind of gun registration scheme?

Drang
06-26-2016, 01:04 PM
Is it legal for the Feds to establish this kind of gun registration scheme?

Fixing It For You: Is it legal for a state to take advantage of a Federal criminal database to track law-abiding citizens exercising their Constitutional rights? Part of me thinks that even the current Supreme Court would view that poorly.

Drang
06-26-2016, 01:07 PM

FBI — Next Generation Identification (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/fingerprints_biometrics/ngi)

Rap Back
The Rap Back service allows authorized agencies to receive notification of activity on individuals who hold positions of trust (e.g. school teachers, daycare workers) or who are under criminal justice supervision or investigation, thus eliminating the need for repeated background checks on a person from the same applicant agency. Prior to the deployment of Rap Back, the national criminal history background check system provided a one-time snapshot view of an individual’s criminal history status. With Rap Back, authorized agencies can receive on-going status notifications of any criminal history reported to the FBI after the initial processing and retention of criminal or civil transactions. By using fingerprint identification to identify persons arrested and prosecuted for crimes, Rap Back provides a nationwide notice to both criminal justice and noncriminal justice authorities regarding subsequent actions.

SLG
06-26-2016, 01:19 PM
FBI — Next Generation Identification (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/fingerprints_biometrics/ngi)

I went to the link and read it, including the Rap back stuff. I don't really understand it, based on that mumbo jumbo.

Currently, if a person is convicted (maybe even just indicted) of a crime, their status as a gun owner is examined and appropriate steps are taken to restrict their rights, until and if they regain those rights. If a person was convicted of a crime in Maryland, and then subsequently move to, or back to, Hawaii, they would be sans legal guns. If they went to buy a gun, the nics check would show that they are a prohibited person. If they legally owned guns in hawaii already, that would be discovered and dealt with.

Obviously, all of this only applies to legally owned guns, that went through a nics check. face-to-face transactions would be exempt from this type of discovery, and could possibly be overlooked when that person's guns were seized, but only if they were hidden somewhere and not stored with the rest of them.

What am I missing?

Drang
06-26-2016, 01:22 PM
The part where this kept the Orlando shooter from owning guns? /sarc

Other than the fact that the Bureau seems to be maintaining a database on everybody everywhere, I dunno. I recall a seminar I went to on physical security and the subject of surveillance video came up. It was pointed out that, unless you have someone actively monitoring every camera 24/7, it's just historical data. "Yep, a crime happened!"
"Yep, the guy who did the shooting owned a gun!"

FNFAN
06-26-2016, 01:42 PM
So basically, it's a proactive query of suspicious people and when a proscribed activity is encountered a little bell rings and your Overlords are alerted. "Suspicious People" to be defined as needed.

A nice cctv feed with facial recognition would certainly enhance the system!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/Detonics/watchful_eyes.jpg

It appears I changed my forum icon at a propitious moment.

HCM
06-26-2016, 01:46 PM
So basically, it's a proactive query of suspicious people and when a proscribed activity is encountered a little bell rings and your Overlords are alerted. A nice cctv feed with facial recognition would certainly enhance the system!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/Detonics/watchful_eyes.jpg

George Orwell spent five years as British Colonial Policeman. You don't think he came up with 1984 all on his own do you ? It just took a while for the tech to catch up.

FNFAN
06-26-2016, 02:03 PM
George Orwell spent five years as British Colonial Policeman. You don't think he came up with 1984 all on his own do you ? It just took a while for he tech to catch up.

[tinfoilhaton\] Most crimes could be solved by a nice chip system, especially crimes of passion. Instead of having a large list of suspects you have the list of those in the vicinity. Don't want a chip? Fine, but it's only fair you pay a higher tax for services,
Oh! And what is it you have to hide? Hmmmm? [/tinfoilhatoff]

farscott
06-26-2016, 02:11 PM
A little twist in the Hawaiian law is that visitors with guns also get entered into the database. How the mechanism of identifying visitors who bring firearms to Hawaii works is unclear to me, but the state has instituted de facto registration for non-residents. As such, that portion of the law should not be constitutional if challenged in federal court. As for the rest of it, I am unsure as Heller makes provisions for reasonable regulation, and the courts have not yet drawn a bright line showing the limits of regulation.

El Cid
06-26-2016, 02:21 PM
A little twist in the Hawaiian law is that visitors with guns also get entered into the database. How the mechanism of identifying visitors who bring firearms to Hawaii works is unclear to me, but the state has instituted de facto registration for non-residents. As such, that portion of the law should not be constitutional if challenged in federal court. As for the rest of it, I am unsure as Heller makes provisions for reasonable regulation, and the courts have not yet drawn a bright line showing the limits of regulation.

Perhaps active duty military would be in that category? The Soldoers and Sailors Reloef Act ensures they don't have to obtain Hawaiian residency while assigned there.

Paul D
06-26-2016, 02:52 PM
My wife was born and raised in Hawaii. It is a different country and culture vs. the "mainland". Generations within a family will refuse to leave the island to seek a better future on the CONUS due to unfounded fears and stereotypes of mainlanders and their reluctance to change any aspects of their own lives.

LSP552
06-26-2016, 05:12 PM

Willfully corrupt is my answer. I can't believe they think this was necessary to get conviction information, so that's the only thing it can be.

Drang
06-26-2016, 06:13 PM
I am not a number! I am a free man!