PDA

View Full Version : Luckygunner shotgun sights article

SeriousStudent
06-23-2016, 08:26 PM
Interesting article by nyeti on selecting sights for your defensive shotgun. Bead sights, rifle sights, ghost rings, red dots and more are discussed with pros and cons on each.

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/sighting-systems-defensive-shotgun/

Some members here are seen in the article.

The concluding sentence is money: "The best bet is a good balance of high quality gear and proper training and practice to maximize the benefits of that quality equipment."

Discuss.

MVS
06-27-2016, 09:39 PM
So if all I have is a bead sight on my 870 but I want one of the other set ups, what are my options? A new barrel?

HopetonBrown
06-27-2016, 10:50 PM
So if all I have is a bead sight on my 870 but I want one of the other set ups, what are my options? A new barrel?

I sent my bead sighted 870 Police to Wilson Combat. They installed their ghost ring sights for about $40 more than what the sights cost by themselves. This was about 3 years ago so I'd check their price sheet.

JAD
06-27-2016, 11:48 PM
Nyeti's article reads like the fourth or fifth chapter in what would be an excellent coffee table book on shotguns for dummies.

Make it so.

ssb
06-27-2016, 11:48 PM

If you want a high-vis bead, XS makes an epoxy-on bead that gives you high visibility and tritium.

A new barrel is needed only if you want rifle sights. However, in my experience the Remington OEM rifle sights are pretty fine (as you would find on a rifle) -- nothing like those on the Benelli (which are more like pistol sights in size). I think XS makes replacement inserts for a Remington rifle-sighted barrel.

If your receiver is tapped for a rail, it could be as simple as buying a rail and screwing it in. If not, you'd need to weld it. Failing that, some companies make rails that come over the receiver and attach via the pins in the receiver, but I don't know anything good or bad about the durability.

Ghost ring sights are going to require drilling and tapping.

JAD
06-27-2016, 11:55 PM
There's also an outstanding article by Melody Lauer (homegirl, represent the 319!). Much of it is interview material with Steve Fisher, to whom I have not been adequately exposed.

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/shotguns/

Totem Polar
06-28-2016, 12:42 AM
Not much I can add to a discussion, but I do have a question: opinions on the mossy 590 A1, since it comes with mounted ghost ring and a nice, bright red blade? I was shouldering one today, wondering what the cognoscenti think, and now I have a chance to find out.

ssb
06-28-2016, 01:50 AM
Not much I can add to a discussion, but I do have a question: opinions on the mossy 590 A1, since it comes with mounted ghost ring and a nice, bright red blade? I was shouldering one today, wondering what the cognoscenti think, and now I have a chance to find out.

Mine's not yet given me an issue. It was a used gun. I replaced the mag spring and follower per advice from here. I much prefer the controls to an 870. It's made much better with a Magpul stock.

Personally I'd like an 18" barrel and a 6-shot tube as opposed to a 20" barrel and a 9-shot tube as on mine, but I can live with it.

Trukinjp13
06-28-2016, 06:39 AM
Good read. But I feel pretty spoiled anytime I read Nyetis work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk